Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also thank you to all you pedants who couldn't see a joke if it slapped them in the face for reminding everyone that the A in bread isn't for ample lol.

i legit didnt know what it stands for so how am i supposed to know its a joke tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yawgmoth posted:

I have that mardu sac deck built and while you can have some very explosive plays with it, the deck very much wants cards to show up in a specific sequence and it flounders when that doesn't happen. It also does pretty much gently caress nothing against control, as your early game isn't generally fast enough to eat their lunch before they lock it down and your late game is basically what every control deck would like to see out of a topdecking opponent. I don't think Extus is gonna be making any waves, but we also have no idea what Innistrad will bring to the table so I can't speculate at all there. If you have like 25+ mythic WCs though who cares about burning 4 on him, the odds of needing more than a handful of mythics for a deck is pretty low.

Extus would be great if Witch's Oven and Claim the Firstborn were sticking around, but alas~

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also thank you to all you pedants who couldn't see a joke if it slapped them in the face for reminding everyone that the A in bread isn't for ample lol.

The entire principle behind BREAD is that someone was eating a sandwich and said "Bombs, Removal," and mumbled something incomprehensible because their mouth was full. Even a decade after its irrelevance people still think BREAD is helpful for novice drafters (it's not) so how are we to tell the difference between yet another dingus making up letters for EAD, or "a joke"?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

APPALONIA NO!!!!. 3R

Destroy target attacking vehicle. The vehicles owner must sacrifice all creatures tapped for its crew ability.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

jokes are supposed to be funny

it was pretty funny but presented in such a way that it was hard to tell it was a joke. solid B for me

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You Find A Joke 3UU

Tap all creatures. They don’t untap as normal at the beginning of their controllers’ next untap steps.

but is it funny?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
BREAD stands for the colors. Black, Red, grEen, whAit, and blueD

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Finally, a good loving title

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Is the MTGA Tinkerer's Cube draft fun? Looks like that's coming back this week. I really really never want to draft AFR again... I just went 7-2 with an Azorius deck and literally every single match would have went to time if we were playing paper Magic. One game I finished Dungeon of the Mad Mage twice, and I didn't even have a lot of venture triggers.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HootTheOwl posted:

Decided to try FNM again: store was full, standing room only and only a handful of masks in sight.
And they were all on the star wars minis players.

Hahahahaha, store play is back!!!

*puts finger to ear piece* What’s that?!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Koirhor posted:

Hahahahaha, store play is back!!!

*puts finger to ear piece* What’s that?!

My state's enforcing a mask mandate Monday so I might call and ask if they're going to enforce it and try again next week.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fadam posted:

I disagree, which is why I pay money to play MTGA. IMO you’d have to be a complete lunatic to devote any of your time, attention and money toward something that’s bad and predatory.

God, this is the most baby brained take in the world. "You do something therefore everything about it must be great and you can't complain about anything involved"

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

mcmagic posted:

God, this is the most baby brained take in the world. "You do something therefore everything about it must be great and you can't complain about anything involved"

When the words you're using to describe it are "bad" and "predatory" then yes, you're either a huge moron for supporting something you find so awful, or you don't actually think it's that bad and you're just posting about it to kill time and out of like a decade of shitposting habit. Most normal brained people don't support things that they think are predatory.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I support loads of things I think are predatory because the way they predate is by making you an addict, and now I am addicted to them

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

fadam posted:

Most normal brained people don't support things that they think are predatory.

People do this all the time, actually.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Normal brained authority on the normal brained, fadam, speaking truth to power

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

little munchkin posted:

People do this all the time, actually.

I don't think so. People support predatory things all the time but I have to assume they don't think it's predatory while they're supporting them.

If you think MTGA is this evil thing that's preying on people, why are you giving it money? MTGA isn't healthcare or food or housing or having access to a phone or the internet, it's an entirely superfluous and non-essential part of life.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Have you ever bought $8 movie popcorn? Any candy at the checkout while grocery shopping? Congratulations!

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Honestly I don't see how the MTGA economy is at all predatory. I started into Magic with Arena last year, dropped like $20 on the pair of newcomer's welcome packs, and since then have had so many "free" things thrown at me between the daily quests, mastery passes, and daily store deals which sometimes just dispense gold/gems that I haven't felt the need to drop more money on the game since. Not to say that I won't, as I like what they are doing with the game recently, particularly experimenting with things like land-backed dual faced cards to help with screw/flood and seemingly removing Core Sets (boring!) out of the equation, and I want to support this direction.

I should note that this is coming from a rather casual Standard player/set drafter, but of course the time/dollar commitment will scale if you are a completionist. Just don't let it become a slog and it won't feel like a slog. Find a level of commitment you are comfortable with and let yourself have fun with it, anything else is you allowing yourself to become "predated" on. It's like going to DVD rental store (remember those?), taking out and enjoying a few movies, and then turning around and calling the place predatory because now you feel a need to watch every drat film in the place.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Have you ever bought $8 movie popcorn? Any candy at the checkout while grocery shopping? Congratulations!

Yes and no, but I don't think expensive lovely popcorn is predatory.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

fadam posted:

I don't think so. People support predatory things all the time but I have to assume they don't think it's predatory while they're supporting them.

fadam posted:

healthcare or food or housing or having access to a phone or the internet

See even you know the former statement is nonsense

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

What is the definition of predatory in this case? I usually hear it in terms of necessities not magic card prices.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

little munchkin posted:

See even you know the former statement is nonsense

Fair point. Sometimes people are priced into supporting "predatory" things because they literally can't live without them. MTGA isn't one of those things. Amend all my previous posts to include this distinction.

In this case, if you think it's predatory and you support it, you either are lying about how you feel about it for some reason, or you're comfortable supporting predators even though you totally have the choice not to.

EDIT: I caused a pretty big derail. The thread has been a lot less lovely than usual before this, so sorry about that.

I don't think anyone is going to change their mind here, so there's no real reason to keep discussing this.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 29, 2021

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

LeafHouse posted:

What is the definition of predatory in this case? I usually hear it in terms of necessities not magic card prices.

F2P games employ a lot of psychological tricks to manipulate people into spending money, and do a lot of tracking and data analysis to influence behavior.
The emphasis on finding "whales" leads to seeking players with addictive tendencies and establishing the pattern of spend money -> dopamine hit.

I don't know if there's a good primer on it anywhere but looking up skinner boxes and operant conditioning on wikipedia will explain the basic concepts.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
one of the most obvious things considered predatory is how you can exchange money for gems so the average person will never have a firm grasp of how much theyre actually paying. its a neat psychological trick

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

fadam posted:

If you think MTGA is this evil thing that's preying on people, why are you giving it money? MTGA isn't healthcare or food or housing or having access to a phone or the internet, it's an entirely superfluous and non-essential part of life.

By this definition of the term, no private business has ever found success using predatory practices. Every successful business has had people buying the product/service, which means those people didn’t find it to be predatory, which means it wasn’t. Am I misinterpreting what you’re saying, or is this what you really believe?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 29, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ariong posted:

By this definition of the term, no private business has ever found success using predatory practices. Every successful business has had people buying the product/service, which means those people didn’t find it to be predatory, which means it wasn’t. Am I misinterpreting what you’re saying, or is this what you really believe?

I said most normal brained people don’t support things they actively identify as predatory. The fact that tons of predatory businesses exist suggests that that most people don’t know that they’re predatory, or aren’t normal brained and don’t care about not supporting them.

My greater point here is there seems to be a lot of people posting in the MTGA thread about how disgusted they are with the business practices of the game they’ve chosen to spend a lot of their time playing, thinking, and talking about. If you truly think it’s that bad, why are you still interacting with it? You don’t need MTGA to live, you don’t even need it to play MTG. There are a million other rewarding and 100% guilt-free activities you could be spending your time on, why not pursue those? What does it say about a person with complete agency over this one portion of their life who still chooses to support something that they identify as evil?

That’s the last I’m going to say on it in this thread. I encourage everyone to examine their hobbies and to consider if it’s a good idea to be so into something that reviles you so much.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

fadam posted:

Most normal brained people don't support things that they think are predatory.
First day in capitalism, I see

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Most normal brained people are resistant to the psychic damage of engaging in things that make them unhappy, fadam.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

fadam posted:

I said most normal brained people don’t support things they actively identify as predatory. The fact that tons of predatory businesses exist suggests that that most people don’t know that they’re predatory, or aren’t normal brained and don’t care about not supporting them.

Yes, most people don’t know that they’re predatory because these business practices are specifically designed to obfuscate their true nature.

quote:

My greater point here is there seems to be a lot of people posting in the MTGA thread about how disgusted they are with the business practices of the game they’ve chosen to spend a lot of their time playing, thinking, and talking about. If you truly think it’s that bad, why are you still interacting with it? You don’t need MTGA to live, you don’t even need it to play MTG. There are a million other rewarding and 100% guilt-free activities you could be spending your time on, why not pursue those? What does it say about a person with complete agency over this one portion of their life who still chooses to support something that they identify as evil?

That’s the last I’m going to say on it in this thread. I encourage everyone to examine their hobbies and to consider if it’s a good idea to be so into something that reviles you so much.

Jesus christ, I can’t tell you how exhausting it is trying to engage with you on a genuine level when you insist on interpreting every argument against WotC’s bad business practices into “blah, evil, revolting, launch them into the sun!!!!” Have you considered that there might possibly be a middle ground between someone thinking the MTG business model is perfectly fine and someone thinking it’s pure evil? I don’t even know why you bothered to respond to people’s posts on the subject if you’re not interested in engaging with what they actually said.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 29, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ariong posted:

Have you considered that there might possibly be a middle ground between someone thinking the MTG business model is perfectly fine and someone thinking it’s pure evil? I don’t even know why you bothered to respond to people’s posts on the subject if you’re not interested in engaging with what they actually said.

You and I must have different interpretations of how evil predators are. At least for non-animals.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

fadam posted:

EDIT: I caused a pretty big derail. The thread has been a lot less lovely than usual before this, so sorry about that.

FWIW this thread was never lovely because of derails, it was lovely because of pointless antagonism and sniping, assuming the worst out of other posts and posters.

Basically this thread was lovely because it's full of Magic players posting like Magic players.

You are correct that the thread has improved.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

fadam posted:

You and I must have different interpretations of how evil predators are. At least for non-animals.

I think for most of us predatory is an indication of direction more than degree.

I don't think MTGA is that predatory, but I'm a big MMA fan and the UFC has quite a predatory business model (more to the fighters than the fans) and there's a constant tension of "do I love this enough to get past that?" So far the answer has been yes, though that involves things like paying into former fighters GoFundMe fundraisers.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think Magic as a game has been predatory from the very beginning and has only become more so over time (and it should probably be illegal to sell packs to kids given that there's clearly an element of gambling to it), but I have no belief in the efficacy of my consumer choices mattering one way or the other, so as long as it's not an active problem for me, I may as well enjoy it. Magic exploded in popularity after I quit playing it originally, and besides I don't really care about watching movies made by bad people or playing games made by bad people or whatever because the amount of money I spend on these things is peanuts and because individuals doing cost/benefit analyses on everything that brings them joy sounds like a miserable way to live.

All of that said, while being an f2p game on top of the usual Magic gambling stuff means Arena is inherently kind of predatory imo, I think the game's pretty much as generous as anyone could hope for once you accept those things, and IMO it's the best ever entry point for playing a shitload of games with minimal investment.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

LeafHouse posted:

I'd say the predatory aspect inherent to free to play games is the 'whaling' practice. The idea is that some people will be very obsessed with/addicted to your game and are prepared to plough an absurd amount of money into it to get certain things. For example there was a guy in the Hearthstone thread who put in ~€3000 Euros a month to maintain a complete gold collection.

With that said I'm not sure how much MtGA's model really encourages that. Duplicate protection dramatically decreases the amount of packs you need to open if you want everything. You don't open foils in packs so you don't have that aspect. If you're really chasing a particular card you can always craft it. I can imagine some people spend too much on the game, but it seems much more geared towards getting people to spend once or twice per set cycle with the pre-release deals.

Generally when people say something is predatory they just mean it should cost less though.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

My state's enforcing a mask mandate Monday so I might call and ask if they're going to enforce it and try again next week.

Hopefully, my local store is requiring proof of vaccination and masks on all players/people in the store in general so that's been good

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

My greater point here is there seems to be a lot of people posting in the MTGA

Is this the MTGA thread? I know it leaks in here a lot but MTGA has it's own thread, just as commander has its own thread.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Hopefully, my local store is requiring proof of vaccination and masks on all players/people in the store in general so that's been good

I think my store might just lean chud. Apparently they were doing events all through 2020.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I like to play historic, its a good format. esper sentinel/thalia/pvddr does a really good job of slowing down the u/r/x piles long enough to get lethal in. mana tithe and meddling mage out of the board turn it into a 65% matchup.

gets wasted by other creature decks that go bigger, faster so I humbly request champion of the parish and reflector mage be printed into the format, tyia wizards of the coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So how has Historic been after a bunch of Modern cards got added? The videos/streams I’ve watched made it look like it it’s pretty much just mono-white with the occasional infinite combo now