Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Warbird posted:

I really need to get around to finishing Bone. Was there ever a good animated adaptation of it? I vaguely recall there being some on YouTube a million years ago.

One's coming to Netflix sometime in the future. It was announced like two years ago but is still in production and according to Jeff Smith he was basically able to pick up anyone and everyone he wanted to work on it from various cartoons he liked from the past few years, so whoever that means he's got his dream team of animation folks making it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s really great news. I read Bone in High School and I feel like it’s better than basically any book series I read around the same time and many I’d go on to read. Jeff Smith is like a Bill Waterson level brilliant cartoonist and comic writer

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Warbird posted:

I really need to get around to finishing Bone. Was there ever a good animated adaptation of it? I vaguely recall there being some on YouTube a million years ago.

That would probably be the Bone Telltale game, which is animated and fully voiced. If you want to check it out, you'll probably either have to watch a longplay or do some :filez:, because the game was lost in the mix after the demise of Telltale, and the people who picked up the scattered remains haven't seen fit to resurrect it like they have with Sam and Max. I think even before Telltale fell apart, it was a bit unclear how to buy it, since it was one of their heavily sidelined early comics.

It's interesting to hear it actually voiced, because it really drives home that people are talking with american accents and dialects, which normally most fantasy demands that it be put through a british filter for whatever reason.

Bust Rodd posted:

Not to be contrarian but Avatar? I feel like that show does a really good job of making how lovely the the Imperialism of the Fire Nation is really front and center and doesn’t really ever let up as the story progresses.

Adventure Time is the best example of this in terms of animated shows for sure, but I never got the sense from Avatar that there was something sinister lurking beneath the surface, because the evil was clearly in charge and working full time.

That's less a silly outside hiding a darker inside, and more just something that has broader appeal across all age ranges.

Which a lot of stuff actually gets produced for broader audiences, despite how animation often gets pigeonholed as just children's media.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Data Graham posted:

Hell it was a big part of the draw of MLP.

I'd argue there for a few reasons, though will suffice to say, MLP ends up more like Star Trek: It's a genuinely utopian setting, but goes to pains to show that keeping it a utopia takes work.

Bust Rodd posted:

I think some shows (cough STEPHEN UNIVERSE COUGH HACK COUGH) lean way, way too hard into the trauma aspect of their characters and that’s how you end up with 5 seasons of wishy-washy crybabies who are just constantly fighting amongst themselves.

Basically Adventure Time was the best example of this cute-and-dark, but more recently… have you ever tried to imagine if Bojack Horseman had just been a cartoon about normal Hollywood with regular people? The animal gags couch the gravity of the drug abuse, the sexual abuse, the emotional abuse, the mental abuse… the show was as dark and depressing as anything else on TV ever had been, but it really understood how to incorporate humor so that you could still breathe.

Does come to mind that a lot of 'adult' live action shows are basically written at a level that's barely above late season Spongebob, just with different sets of network approved jokes, twists and snark slapped on top of the formula. Looking back, I'm not at all surprised I showed no interest in anything on TV besides cartoons as a kid. Cartoons were doing interesting and varied poo poo, live action sure as hell wasn't, at least on the networks I had. I enjoyed Scrubs though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That said I am always down for a cop procedural/NCIS despite being able to more or less predict how it’s going to go down within the first 10 minutes or so.

Sam Waterson plays the same character in L&O and Grace and Frankie and I won’t hear otherwise. The same theory made me have to pause Catch Me If You Can when I finally got around to watching it recently.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 29, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only cop show I would stomach is like… a Hellboy animated series… or like a Gargoyles reboot where they solve fantasy crimes

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Columbo - The Animated Series.

Just need to find someone who can do a good Peter Falk impression in the booth.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd argue there for a few reasons, though will suffice to say, MLP ends up more like Star Trek: It's a genuinely utopian setting, but goes to pains to show that keeping it a utopia takes work.

That's true. Not gonna get into it though but what I had in mind was more the characters, who were archetypes on the surface but that conceit enabled the writers to build some pretty deep psychological portraits.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Columbo - The Animated Series.

Just need to find someone who can do a good Peter Falk impression in the booth.

Boy do I have the guy for you

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Just realized Comfortable Doug is Flula borg. It makes sense now. Lol

In the more adult cartoons: i recently saw the first couple episodes of Final Space. Pretty entertaining!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Data Graham posted:

That's true. Not gonna get into it though but what I had in mind was more the characters, who were archetypes on the surface but that conceit enabled the writers to build some pretty deep psychological portraits.

IIRC this was apparently a deliberate thing by the writers, especially since there had been so few female-focused cartoons worth a drat and in general animated female characters tend to fall into a narrow set of stereotypes (and anime can be worse) on top of usually being the distinct minority in the cast. So they used various archetypes of female heroines to make a full functioning cast- crucially without a male hero who they act as background/accessories to- and developed it from there. Characters can have quirks, problems and insecurities without being one-dimensional comical psychos or manic pixie dream girls, it turns out, and there are circumstances in which they'll act the total opposite of their usual personality and it will make sense.

Oddly enough, comes to mind a related topic I vaguely recall a goon bringing up, I think, as to why Scooby-Doo continues to work so well for over half a century despite changing very little even in the most radical interpretations; there isn't really a 'protagonist' in the standard sense. Sure, Scooby is the main character, but he's mostly comic relief and basically joined at the hip with Shaggy, and Fred is the closest thing to a standard white male lead but the plots and stories don't really focus on him. There isn't a single 'hero' for them to be the background to and to have a role they're pigeonholed into.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

RubricMarine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXErLiSbxXQ

New Helluva Boss episode. Seems like they went all out on the animation this time, drat.

This really seemed to benefit from the longer wait between episodes, fantastic animation and scripting imo. Loved Moxie's dream art style

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I think Centaurworld is mostly okay for kids, the stuff with the Nowhere King might be a little much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Any moreso than the Lich? If anything a freaky terrifying body horror villain is how you know it's a cartoon for kids.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if you removed how the song about the nowhere king is very specifically about how he's going to murder the listener i'd say he's pretty reasonably cartoon dark. he has a bit of that extra edge that makes him feel like a bit much for kids but i don't think it'd actually be a problem for kids

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kids loving love that poo poo, yeah.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Nowhere King ain't got poo poo on Freaky Fred

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaRouocBes

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I confess I haven't watched Centaurworld yet but I have listened to the Taurnado song probably a dozen times. It's just real good.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
The nowhere king is cool and spooky yes, but why is no one talking about the suicide whale?

Whole fuckin song about a pretty intense subject lol

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

The nowhere king is cool and spooky yes, but why is no one talking about the suicide whale?

Whole fuckin song about a pretty intense subject lol

the fact that it ends with all the people who committed suicide getting spat back out and being alive again is a very kiddy resolution to that subject matter so while the song and concept is pretty dark in the end it probably gets a pass

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

YggiDee posted:

I confess I haven't watched Centaurworld yet but I have listened to the Taurnado song probably a dozen times. It's just real good.

Definitely my favorite too by a pretty big margin. There's a handful of other really good songs, the first one in the last episode comes to mind.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

the fact that it ends with all the people who committed suicide getting spat back out and being alive again is a very kiddy resolution to that subject matter so while the song and concept is pretty dark in the end it probably gets a pass

I don't think it was every person, but like I said before, I think the most adult the content ever really gets is the way the characters immediately leap from "giant hole in the ground" to "that's a vagina!"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I just went through all of Helluva Boss. Better than I expected. I feel like it would be a little funnier if they trimmed the cursing by like 25%.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I know this thread probably has more refined tastes but the Rick and Morty season 5 finale double episode whatever dropped tonight. I'm not one of the people that strongly dislikes Rick and Mort but the last one seemed REALLY self indulgent. I'm really not a fan of them constantly acting like having character development and an overarching plot is just SOO annoying for them. Rick and morty fans suck but you don't have your big 5 season hook prefaced with "Here you go now shut up! :smug:". Maybe i'm being hard on it but it was definitely a weird one to me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You know there’s a whole R&M thread?

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Did a quick search and didn't find it. I guess I'll gently caress off there then. :v:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Nah, hang around. I’ve been meaning to get back around to that series at some point. How are seasons 3-5? Overall good?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Richard & Mortimer would definitely be a better show without its fanbase, not only for how bad the fanbase is but also because the creators have clearly let the fan adoration get to their heads

Warbird posted:

Nah, hang around. I’ve been meaning to get back around to that series at some point. How are seasons 3-5? Overall good?
Seasons 3-5 are pretty much a perfect example of a show sliding downhill

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 6, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bedlam posted:

Did a quick search and didn't find it. I guess I'll gently caress off there then. :v:

yea that's what happens when goons give threads "funny" titles

i'm still waying for the godzilla thread in cined to stop being called "gaydorah the explorer: king poo poo of gently caress monster island"

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

3 is really solid

4 has a few weak episodes but is overall pretty decent. It also has The Vat of Acid Episode which might be the best episode of the entire series

5 is a 50/50 split with the bad episodes being the weakest of the series so far but the good episodes being some of the best. The finale was particularly great.

So basically it's definitely work catching up on but be prepared to slog through a few turds along the way.

The United States posted:

Seasons 3-5 are pretty much a perfect example of a show sliding downhill

I think it's more that they brought in some new writers to deal with the 70+ episodes they're now committed to and the new people just aren't as good as the core writing staff. Fortunately the episodes the new crew are running are mostly low inpact episodic fluff so they can ultimately just be ignored in the grand scheme of things. I'd still classify the show as "pretty drat good" imo.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 6, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I Am Fowl posted:

I just went through all of Helluva Boss. Better than I expected. I feel like it would be a little funnier if they trimmed the cursing by like 25%.

Yeah I've long been of the opinion that they go way over the top just to show how cool it is that they don't have censors on the internet when the jokes don't necessitate it.

Like just because I can say gently caress in every loving sentence on this dumbass forum full of dipshits doesn't mean that it makes it any more or less funny.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I've long been of the opinion that they go way over the top just to show how cool it is that they don't have censors on the internet when the jokes don't necessitate it.

Like just because I can say gently caress in every loving sentence on this dumbass forum full of dipshits doesn't mean that it makes it any more or less funny.

A lot of television doesn't have any censorship beyond what's self-imposed. So I dunno if your argument tracks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

That's basically how I felt about it. The adult content warning at the start is particularly eyerolling. Pretty good overall though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That's basically how I felt about it. The adult content warning at the start is particularly eyerolling. Pretty good overall though.

That's literally so Youtube doesn't screw them by showing their adult cartoons to children or something. It's a warning for legal reasons not actual viewer reasons.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

That's literally so Youtube doesn't screw them by showing their adult cartoons to children or something. It's a warning for legal reasons not actual viewer reasons.

I mean the bit where it says "and VERY horny demons" :smuggo: like they're being oh so shocking, instead of just going with a boilerplate "18+ for violence and sexual content" or whatever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I mean the bit where it says "and VERY horny demons" :smuggo: like they're being oh so shocking, instead of just going with a boilerplate "18+ for violence and sexual content" or whatever.

Pretty sure that's meant to be a bad pun.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I dunno, I absolutely loved the R&M finale and think it was a better plot and more gripping characters than, well, the entire MCU franchise for one. The show talks to it’s fans through Rick’s mouth that way because that’s how he would talk to us if we were in the room with him. The show doesn’t haven’t contempt for it’s fans, it has contempt for it’s lovely fans, the same as the rest of us. You wont find a fan of the show who doesn’t feel 2nd hand cringe at the lovely Rick weebs talking about their High IQs, the show just confirmed that it hates them as much as we do.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pickle Rick is the perfect example of this; the whole point of the episode was that Rick was using his whacky adventures as a means of avoiding having to improve as a person. The entire episode is a series of loud, pointless nonsense, fun to watch but ultimately doesn't lead to anything, and he still ends up having to go to therapy anyway, where stripped of any excuses he just refuses to engage with it at all.

And the kind of lovely, toxic fan who needed to hear its message did exactly what Rick did - threw a massive strop about it, then deliberately forgot the point so they could run around yelling "I'm a pickle, Morty! Pickle Riiiick!" and not take in a single loving thing of any relevance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Pickle Rick is the perfect example of this; the whole point of the episode was that Rick was using his whacky adventures as a means of avoiding having to improve as a person. The entire episode is a series of loud, pointless nonsense, fun to watch but ultimately doesn't lead to anything, and he still ends up having to go to therapy anyway, where stripped of any excuses he just refuses to engage with it at all.

And the kind of lovely, toxic fan who needed to hear its message did exactly what Rick did - threw a massive strop about it, then deliberately forgot the point so they could run around yelling "I'm a pickle, Morty! Pickle Riiiick!" and not take in a single loving thing of any relevance.

And then the writers forgot the point and did the same episode but he turned himself into a turkey instead, and there was no therapist angle or anything else.