Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Not sure about other combos but putting Zeus or Ares on the Chaos Shield Special is an absurdly OP build even now.

I never tried the choas shield before but I just did and in the first room I got the "dread flight" hammer - special hits 4 add'l foes. drat. Worked pretty good. Better than the bull rush -> charged up one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Hopper posted:

I kept charming him which caused him to turn away, got 3 hits in and dodged away. Rinse repeat.

Charm works on bosses? Have to keep this in mind.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah but the duration is much shorter than with a normal enemy. It does knock them out of whatever they're doing at the time though, so with a fast enough application of it you can basically stunlock them.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am really loving the little exchanges for using certain keepsakes, companions, or Well of Charon items. The Yarn of Ariadne bit is pretty golden.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Aaaaand perfect ending cleared at around 40 hours. Kind of symbolic that my last win was by using the weapon that gave me the most trouble trying to use it before, i.e. the Guan Yu spear.

What a goddamn fantastic game and an absolute steal at $20-$25. I'd easily pay $40 for the kind of enjoyment I've gotten out of this game. Hades deserves all of the perfect ratings and accolades it's received. Bravo! :golfclap:

Now, on to furthering my home decoration and dating simulation ambitions! :hist101:

e:

Some discussion about the perfect ending/post-game: I think it's really drat heartwarming that after being a gently caress-up at traditional bureaucratic administration work and constantly being poo poo on by his dad, Zag finally got a job doing something he enjoys and is good at (i.e. breaking out of the underworld and fighting) and is recognized and accepted for it. Plus, the whole bit of Hades finally apologizing to his son and showing a little humility got to me emotionally because drat does Hades' persona just totally remind me of my dad and our relationship dynamic.

I also love how the feel and objectives of the game evolved over time - from being fed up with dad and a home environment where Zag doesn't feel like he belongs to finding out about his mother to making repeated attempts unravel the conspiracy behind his birth to finally getting his family to reconcile and getting an official position of Security Technician. Most of all, the narrative is interwoven with the game mechanics evolving as well and both support the other in a feedback loop.

Anyways, yeah. I don't know if I'll 100% complete every little achievement and thing to do, but there's still more fun to be squeezed out of this game I bet. :D

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 29, 2021

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Just got to Dad for the first time after 20 runs. Dropped him to half of his second bar. If I had the 1000 gem revival thing I'm pretty sure I would have had him, or maybe if I had spoiled my self and mapped out what the fight was like but I did this blind. Chiron bow is what I decided to sink my initial 6 titan bloods into and it's carried me farthest yet. I kind of now realize collecting the resources for upgrades is very important for new progression because I dint even really realize how much of it there was until like 3 runs ago. Anyway this is an extremely cool and good game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

one of my only disappointments with hades is that i feel like they didn't record quite enough new lines for the postgame so sometimes it feels like you haven't actually accomplished anything and hades is still yelling at you for no apparent reason

and yes i understand that with the staggering amount of spoken dialogue in the game already even more would've been pushing it

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Another post-game minor spoiler: if you do another run after getting the perfect ending, not only is Hades a lot more congenial towards his son - actually calling him by name and complimenting Zag just before dying - but the Narrator skips over the whole the cottage scene with a hilarious summary and Zag gets knocked over by the Styx all at once, but not before giving a V for Victory sign. It's a "blink and you'll miss it" moment. :allears:

EM3 spoiler: Holy poo poo are Theseus/Asterius no joke on EM3. :stare: I nearly lost the run and poo poo my pants as well. I ended up burning all 3 of my DD's before I got my poo poo together enough to take them down. Thank God you wreck Theseus' chariot once you get him down to 25% health, otherwise I would have been toast! I love Theseus' maniacal laughter as he rides around blowing everything to poo poo, I would too in his position.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 29, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Another post-game minor spoiler: if you do another run after getting the perfect ending, not only is Hades a lot more congenial towards his son - actually calling him by name and complimenting Zag just before dying - but the Narrator skips over the whole the cottage scene with a hilarious summary and Zag gets knocked over by the Styx all at once, but not before giving a V for Victory sign. It's a "blink and you'll miss it" moment. :allears:

EM3 spoiler: Holy poo poo are Theseus/Asterius no joke on EM3. :stare: I nearly lost the run and poo poo my pants as well. I ended up burning all 3 of my DD's before I got my poo poo together enough to take them down. Thank God you wreck Theseus' chariot once you get him down to 25% health, otherwise I would have been toast! I love Theseus' maniacal laughter as he rides around blowing everything to poo poo, I would too in his position.

EM3: Actually it is a joke. You'll get hit a lot harder, IF you get hit but they're much easier to avoid now I find since the jerk is far more predictable in his movements and attacks.

Amppelix posted:

one of my only disappointments with hades is that i feel like they didn't record quite enough new lines for the postgame so sometimes it feels like you haven't actually accomplished anything and hades is still yelling at you for no apparent reason

and yes i understand that with the staggering amount of spoken dialogue in the game already even more would've been pushing it

I think it holds up. Hades is still Hades, he'll always be a curmudgeon.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah but he has some lines to the tune of why are you doing this/this is pointless/etc. that don't really make sense anymore

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Aaaaand perfect ending cleared at around 40 hours. Kind of symbolic that my last win was by using the weapon that gave me the most trouble trying to use it before, i.e. the Guan Yu spear.

What a goddamn fantastic game and an absolute steal at $20-$25. I'd easily pay $40 for the kind of enjoyment I've gotten out of this game. Hades deserves all of the perfect ratings and accolades it's received. Bravo! :golfclap:

Now, on to furthering my home decoration and dating simulation ambitions! :hist101:

There’s still one ending to go!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Amppelix posted:

yeah but he has some lines to the tune of why are you doing this/this is pointless/etc. that don't really make sense anymore

I’m on 150+ runs and haven’t experienced anything like this

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am to the point of wanting to shake the Well of Charon like a malfunctioning vending machine until the two items I need pop out, because this is getting Pretty Annoying.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I am to the point of wanting to shake the Well of Charon like a malfunctioning vending machine until the two items I need pop out, because this is getting Pretty Annoying.

Which ones are you missing? If one of them is Touch of Styx, you need to use the alternate death defiance mirror upgrade for it to appear in the first place.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Which ones are you missing? If one of them is Touch of Styx, you need to use the alternate death defiance mirror upgrade for it to appear in the first place.

Yeah, that one I just need to spawn now that I switched over, but the other is the Flame Wheel Release, which if it has some trigger I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Unfortunately, all you can do for that one is visit every well in Elysium and hope it spawns. It only ever appears in Elysium though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I tried turning on some Pact Heat + EM4 to try and get the second Skelly trophy. Nooooope! :stonklol:

Well, I did make it to the final boss stage three, at least! But, gently caress, I got spoiled in advance that there was going to be a stage three (although not what was in it), but I didn't realize the first two stages would be that much harder as well. Jesus, it's such an all-out balls to the wall fight even with a powerful build. You really can't let the fight drag out and let it drain your DD's; you need to have an OP build where you can drain his health a lot faster than he can drain yours.

Also, I audibly went "What the gently caress!" at the Cerebus summon. Literally was not expecting that at all! Well, if I can get past all of the other poo poo I've overcome so far, I'm sure I can overcome this fight too. But uh, maybe I'll try doing it with less heat next time so I'm better prepared first before trying EM4 again. :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh drat I didn't realize the damage bonus from Aspect of Achilles worked on Casts too.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if you think that's good, wait until you realize the buff from aspect of erys applies to literally every instance of damage in the game except environmental

like you can inflict hangover on enemies, then apply the buff to yourself, and the hangover will immediately start dealing more damage

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Amppelix posted:

if you think that's good, wait until you realize the buff from aspect of erys applies to literally every instance of damage in the game except environmental

like you can inflict hangover on enemies, then apply the buff to yourself, and the hangover will immediately start dealing more damage

Companion damage isn’t counted either but yeah Eris is pretty great.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

RatHat posted:

Oh drat I didn't realize the damage bonus from Aspect of Achilles worked on Casts too.

oh ya, i had a crazy run with that the other day. Went all in on dio cast with the stygian soul mirror upgrade. Lucked into a chaos upgrade that gave me an extra bloodstone, and I got two duo boons from zeus and demeter with dio that made the festive fog chilly and thundery

I was able to drop 2 700+ damage nukes every 3 seconds and they would linger and cause DoTs to any enemies in the area. Finally beat EM4 with the spear with that build

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

TIL that you can basically one-shot skelly with the hidden bow aspect

https://i.imgur.com/yZQzJ94.mp4

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Unfortunately, all you can do for that one is visit every well in Elysium and hope it spawns. It only ever appears in Elysium though.

The way I eventually got that flame wheel item was by purchasing the random item from the well, and eventually the dice roll favoured me.

Also to add: I lucked into a fun build. Eris rail, with hangover on attack as my first boin. Had the pom blossom on, and avoided other upgradeable boons for a long time, half by accident. I threw a few poms into it, and by the end, it was at lvl 10 or 11. I got the rocket special hammer, with artemis, so I could just dash up to a group, instantly envelope all in a sphere of crit damage, tap the survivors with my booze gun, and dash away. Then start setting down grandma lasers while the next wave is spawning. Repeat as necessary. Should enough hp worth of enemies come my way, then grandma "will take it all away"

Hangover upgrades do not experience diminishing returns. Dad must have been on a real bender.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 29, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Last Zeus shield run I ended up with a bunch of goodies on Dio's cast including the Zeus duo and the Demeter duo (as well as Dio and Zeus' legendaries and the Zeus/Demeter duo). I just had to cast and sit back and relax as people shocked and froze themselves to death.

I'm doing 10 heat run on the Fists. I'm using my unbeaten Fists/Feather combo and took it up to EM4. I'm hoping the dodge will see me through. I haven't missed an upgrade through Tartarus and I've got Artemis on Attack and Dash, Dio on Cast, and Zeus on Call (I'm hoping to get their duo again). I'm currently at the Charon before the Sisters and I can fight him.

Do I do it? I've got some good foundations at the moment and getting his card this early will make money no object as I go into it, but I can't really risk the lives.

I've beaten him before but I feel like I'm not yet doing the damage necessary to actually win, and the fists are seriously close combat, which with Charon is risky. I've only got just shy of 30% dodge chance, which is good but not great.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

B33rChiller posted:

Hangover upgrades do not experience diminishing returns. Dad must have been on a real bender.

Technically speaking they do(2 extra damage on the first pom) it's simply that when the base damage is 4/5 (normal/special) per tick per stack an extra 1 per pom, 2 for the first one, is a lot.

10 poms in a dio attack is 15 per tick per stack, or 150 per second fully stacked.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What's the save file editor recommended to use? All I want to do is set my god mode to around 20% damage reduction. Just a bit of a help without too much, it's too easy now and when I turn off god mode it's a bit too hard for my liking.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Last Zeus shield run I ended up with a bunch of goodies on Dio's cast including the Zeus duo and the Demeter duo (as well as Dio and Zeus' legendaries and the Zeus/Demeter duo). I just had to cast and sit back and relax as people shocked and froze themselves to death.

I'm doing 10 heat run on the Fists. I'm using my unbeaten Fists/Feather combo and took it up to EM4. I'm hoping the dodge will see me through. I haven't missed an upgrade through Tartarus and I've got Artemis on Attack and Dash, Dio on Cast, and Zeus on Call (I'm hoping to get their duo again). I'm currently at the Charon before the Sisters and I can fight him.

Do I do it? I've got some good foundations at the moment and getting his card this early will make money no object as I go into it, but I can't really risk the lives.

I've beaten him before but I feel like I'm not yet doing the damage necessary to actually win, and the fists are seriously close combat, which with Charon is risky. I've only got just shy of 30% dodge chance, which is good but not great.

The thing with Charon is that his Oar Sweeps hit like bricks and cover huge areas. But if you are a close-range build, you just have to dash behind him to dodge the sweep.

The biggest challenge is learning his tells before he three-four shots you

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

priznat posted:

What's the save file editor recommended to use? All I want to do is set my god mode to around 20% damage reduction. Just a bit of a help without too much, it's too easy now and when I turn off god mode it's a bit too hard for my liking.

If it's too easy, you could turn on more options in the pact. I held off god mode until the heat became too much, then turned it on, and once it gets easy ffor me, then I add more heat. Bbit of back and forth, but the difficulty is getting closer to an equilibrium for me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

this here

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
god drat I started my last run with Athena’s keepsake and then literally didn’t see her the rest of the run. didn’t see Ares til Asphodel and the first two times I saw him he didn’t offer the attack boon (WITH rerolls). didn’t get his attack til halfway through Elysium and then didn’t see him the rest of the run either. I was aiming for Merciful End and got absolutely hosed, poo poo was annoying

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Happens sometimes. I've only seen one Zeus when starting with the keepsake, I've also gotten the legendary in Tartarus.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I fought Charon, died once, got his card and an immediate DD purchase.

I ended up getting Dio's cast with the same Zeus and Demeter duo's plus the Lightning Rod duo's and Artemis's Legendary. My dodge was at 58%, and my attack was boosted from Pat's jerky. I took 0 hits on the first phase, 1 on the 2nd and he did kill me on the 3rd (his companion hits HARD).

But I still was up 2 lives and managed it just fine. Nowhere near as scary as the first time I did EM4 where I was really 10 health from dying. Zag fists+feather still the best combo.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

But I still was up 2 lives and managed it just fine. Nowhere near as scary as the first time I did EM4 where I was really 10 health from dying. Zag fists+feather still the best combo.

I'm curious about fists. I only have 6 wins and I have Chiron bow maxed and I unlocked Eris rail. But I'm sitting on 11 titan blood. I was running Stubborn Defiance to farm the keepsake prophecy and I got the +300% bomb with a bunch of special upgrades then drunken explosive shot with the Dio boon that slows poisoned enemies. It basically stunlocked guys while I bombed them. Plus I was doing +73% damage the first 10 seconds of the fight. Stomped every fight with it and picked up the +50% heal on stubborn defiance before Hades. I had some really dumb settings on the mirror that win so I was able to dial it up my next win to get the 8 blood for all mirror combos.

I could max out Eris rail which I hear is nice but I keep forgetting to bombard myself. Or I could pick up Demeter fists which I hear are really fun. I like rail but after bow it's a bit derivative.

Bearing in mind I'm not super twitchy and have a bit of a hard time with dash attacks, where is a good place to invest 11 blood? I'd like to get some clears under me and try to solve some of these character quests. Are the fists more of a high-heat high-EM skill weapon and I'd be better off investing in the shield or something else?

I also got a voodoo doll from the little gorgon and it's hilarious and it owns. I keep accidentally using it when the help text prompt comes up.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

zag fists are great because they only need 5 blood to max out

in addition to that, if you run the lambet plume with them and the mirror talent that replaces your extra dash with the one that gives you extra dodge chance, then you can build up enough dodge chance over a run to basically be invincible by the end fight

for the rail, i really like using hestia. Just switch the rebinds for reload and journal and the weapon then becomes an easy to use nuke. Very fun

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

If you're asking about what weapons to unlock, the hidden fists and the hidden sword are the only ones that do high base damage, and the hidden fists are the only one that is fast and has high base damage. (You don't have to invest in them either to get 99% out of them.) Okay, I gues the hidden bow has high damage but it's just a weird one.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

maxed out hidden bow is nuts, and pretty easy to use. Just use special, then do a power attack for big numbers. Embed a bloodstone for extra damage. You can also hit multiple enemies with the special to link them

upthread, i posted a vid where I did 840 damage in one shot to skelly. I dont think any other aspect can come close to that damage. 2nd best ive been able to do was 450 with hestia. main downside to both of these aspects is that they are way better when maxed out in blood

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah hidden bow is very strong and easy to use. Hidden fists are good but zag fists work fine and their gameplan remains the same. Hidden bow just plays on a different level from Hera/Chiron and is a nice alternative if you're not gelling as much with those.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I like weapons with the "nerves of steel" powershot when you time it right, but it drives me nuts having to charge up a weapon to hit at range. The other bows charge up almost instantly if you dash into the attack.

Two-boon rooms: the second one you pick is higher rarity?

drat it, I ALMOST set a new heat record, streak record, and speed record with this run. Missed the latter by ten seconds. If you're curious, that's 16 heat, streak of 7, and 23 minutes. Well behind many in this thread. The first 12 heat don't hurt, then they start to.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 30, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Araganzar posted:

I'm curious about fists. I only have 6 wins and I have Chiron bow maxed and I unlocked Eris rail. But I'm sitting on 11 titan blood. I was running Stubborn Defiance to farm the keepsake prophecy and I got the +300% bomb with a bunch of special upgrades then drunken explosive shot with the Dio boon that slows poisoned enemies. It basically stunlocked guys while I bombed them. Plus I was doing +73% damage the first 10 seconds of the fight. Stomped every fight with it and picked up the +50% heal on stubborn defiance before Hades. I had some really dumb settings on the mirror that win so I was able to dial it up my next win to get the 8 blood for all mirror combos.

I could max out Eris rail which I hear is nice but I keep forgetting to bombard myself. Or I could pick up Demeter fists which I hear are really fun. I like rail but after bow it's a bit derivative.

Bearing in mind I'm not super twitchy and have a bit of a hard time with dash attacks, where is a good place to invest 11 blood? I'd like to get some clears under me and try to solve some of these character quests. Are the fists more of a high-heat high-EM skill weapon and I'd be better off investing in the shield or something else?

All Zag weapons (the defaults) require 5 blood to max, after that it varies between 13-15 blood I think, but it's safer to say every other aspect needs 15 blood.

Zag fists are pretty incredible since they give you 15% dodge. Combine that with the Plume, which when maxed grants 1.2% dodge for speeding through a chamber. Depending how fast you go you can get about 30% dodge, give or take, by the time you reach the end. Then if you get the Hermes boon you're getting at least another 15%, and with some other odds and ends you're easily dodging at least 50% of all attacks (I had the aforementioned dodge boost so I was often over 100%) dodge.

It's a very safe build and I haven't lost a Zag Fists run, period. The downsides is that you cannot unequip the feather so you're at the mercy of the RNG, which is how I typically roll anyway, also the basic fists aren't particularly strong so you'll need hammers and good boons to make up for it. I do believe most combos are worthwhile though, but getting Artemis was pretty big, and then pumping up the Dio cast was just added nonsense.

For the Rail, I began with Eris, and it's nice, but Hestia is incredible. It's another aspect I haven't lost with, or I've lost once, you just need to re-map reload (I have it on R, Boon check-up on Right Stick). Shoot/Reload, Shoot/Reload, it's a very basic pattern but if you pump attack up you'll be crushing it, without a need to ever use the special. This may be better for you than Fists which are definitely twitchy. The Bow and Gun are safe options since they give you a nice range to be at.

Shields are fun for being twitchy or slow. If you want to take it slow, I'd go Chaos, so you can Bull-Rush and then just launch shields while guarding, but it really does slow down the game. With Zeus you do the same thing but just let your special kill enemies, call it back and launch it again as you turtle.

TLDR: Upgrade the Hestia Rail you won't regret it.

Mescal posted:

Two-boon rooms: the second one you pick is higher rarity?

I don't think so. I'm not even sure if I ever got one of those to grant me a duo or legendary. Must've.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

AcidCat posted:

Charm works on bosses? Have to keep this in mind.

It seemed to, every time I hit Hades with the seeker Charm Cast, he turned around for 3 steps. And you can Charm the bull as well it seemed.