Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

epitaph posted:

this, but particularly for anything ml related

we did some 6b6 proto-labels on some delta 47 samples, it made these horrible looking photos, and took $1835 of compute time but its ok i own the mining rig

-my understanding of ML

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

guess whomst

gibolt 8 hours ago [–]

He completely transformed modern life and changed the human trajectory for everyone on the planet, multiple times.
So he was an rear end to work with... That doesn't void anything else that was done, nor should it be a highlight. Worth mentioning, sure.
Visionaries are usually hard to deal with (perhaps because they are fighting against the grain). Most visionaries are wrong, but that diversity is what pushes us forward.

whose steve jobs

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
also describes adolf hitler

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

i was surprised to mouse over and discover it wasn't elong muskrat

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

eschaton posted:

someone should make a text generation bot trained on the full corpus of HN comments (weighted by number of responses, of course) and then just set it loose on HN under an alias

feed it the story and other comments for a prompt

when someone replies, feed it the comment and reply for a prompt

etc

redeploy the yospos postbots

Jabor posted:

also describes adolf hitler

that's who I thought it was gonna be lol

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

quote:

whack 3 minutes ago [–]

> In 2015, Mr Cook said he would give away his entire fortune before he dies, and is known to have donated tens of millions of dollars to charity.

I'm normally a proponent of reducing income inequality. But this has got me thinking. Is the world actively better off when billionaires like Cook/Gates/Buffett make a ton of money.

Consider the alternative: someone in the 75th percentile of USA income gets a fat raise. Most of this money is spent on a nicer house, a nicer car, eating out, going on vacation, etc. Contrast this against a billionaire who has signed the giving pledge. They spend a small fraction of this money on themselves. And the majority ends up going to charitable causes such as educational initiatives, HIV research, deworming, clean drinking water, etc.

Ironically, big payouts (and tax breaks) for billionaires* would do more to help the needy, compared to raises for the upper-middle-class.

*This only applies to those billionaires who have committed to donating most of their wealth of course

i am astounded at both the profound ignorance of why lower income brackets getting more income and quickly turning that around into economic activity is a good and very desirable thing versus billionaires arbitrarily dispersing capital if they so desire, and the notion that all that billionaire money is definitely going to effective social good projects, not vanity OLPC bullshit, bloomberg's presidential campaign, and koch bros hellworld projects

wait, no im not, this is hn

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

vmception 24 minutes ago [–]

Although Vietnam keeps its head down and is welcoming and nice to US, they're still a single party system named the Communist Party dabbling in marxist and modern state capital systems. They still predictably squash dissent and put them in gulags/reducation camps, and the lack of this news only points to them being too small and insignificant for us to care.
Do we really care if two Communist Parties attack each other?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i wouldn't point fingers given that e.g. the south in the US has been under single party rule for 150 years

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

eschaton posted:

someone should make a text generation bot trained on the full corpus of HN comments (weighted by number of responses, of course) and then just set it loose on HN under an alias

feed it the story and other comments for a prompt

when someone replies, feed it the comment and reply for a prompt

etc

its either been done or done to write articles to submit to hn iirc

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

i wouldn't point fingers given that e.g. the south in the US has been under single party rule for 150 years

uh thats not even close to being correct

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

LastInLine posted:

uh thats not even close to being correct

well it's been governed by republicans for as long as he's been paying attention, which is all the history that really matters

and sure, before then it was governed by other parties, but they were bad guys and losers so they retroactively count as republicans now, duh

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

fritz posted:

systemvoltage 3 hours ago [–]

Western spirit was about putting behind differences and doubling down on cooperation.

lol

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

MrQueasy posted:

Working hard isn't a virtue in and of itself, and growth to no end isn't sustainable. There is nothing wrong with finding your place and performing adequately within it. I believe that my generation (Millennials) and later have been especially indoctrinated into the fantasy of the "dream job", the need to always be hustling and advancing, and working for paternalistic companies that "care" about the growth of their employees. It creates lots of shame for those who don't have the will to do what it takes to land the corner office. Most of our grandparents made their living doing things that weren't particularly prestigious and didn't live with that constant lack of satisfaction or sense of shame that they won't live up to their parents success. If you are contributing something to society in whatever amount and you are living the life you want to live, nobody really has the authority to tell you that you shouldn't be satisfied with that.

But this is a good take. The rest of it is garbage but this is actually good

Most of our grandparents were low or mid level clerics or some weird low in the chain job. If you can actually find a job that you're happy with that requires no advancement for you to have enough to live off, plus some emergency savings, why not settle into it?

The only reason we need to be "advancing" constantly is capitalism, sometimes it is ok to take pleasure in a job that you can do well and that pays enough -- I have a cousin who works in a factory environment. Said cousin took some time out that was paid for by their job to do a degree in classical literature, and then they returned to their job that is very much a dead-end. Their attitude is that it makes them happy and puts food on their table, and gives them enough time to persue their interests on their own time.

What right does anyone have to tell them that they're wrong?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

alexandriao posted:

But this is a good take. The rest of it is garbage but this is actually good

Most of our grandparents were low or mid level clerics or some weird low in the chain job. If you can actually find a job that you're happy with that requires no advancement for you to have enough to live off, plus some emergency savings, why not settle into it?

The only reason we need to be "advancing" constantly is capitalism, sometimes it is ok to take pleasure in a job that you can do well and that pays enough -- I have a cousin who works in a factory environment. Said cousin took some time out that was paid for by their job to do a degree in classical literature, and then they returned to their job that is very much a dead-end. Their attitude is that it makes them happy and puts food on their table, and gives them enough time to persue their interests on their own time.

What right does anyone have to tell them that they're wrong?

There was some term for the phenomenon where people keep getting promoted until they reach a position they are not good at. A lot of people would be happier and better if they could remain in production roles instead of management roles, but the pressure to promote and get raises via management positions is strong.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

lobsterminator posted:

There was some term for the phenomenon where people keep getting promoted until they reach a position they are not good at. A lot of people would be happier and better if they could remain in production roles instead of management roles, but the pressure to promote and get raises via management positions is strong.

It's called the Peter principle.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

NihilCredo posted:

well it's been governed by republicans for as long as he's been paying attention, which is all the history that really matters

and sure, before then it was governed by other parties, but they were bad guys and losers so they retroactively count as republicans now, duh

I guess if you count racists as a political party, and include the whole US, it's mostly correct.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mrmcd posted:

I guess if you count racists as a political party, and include the whole US, it's mostly correct.

thats not mostly correct its entirely correct

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

alexandriao posted:

yeah, we can’t all be barbarians, someone’s gotta put food and water on the table (for up to three people per level)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LastInLine posted:

thats not mostly correct its entirely correct

yeah, much of the former Confederacy has been under effectively one-party rule since the end of Reconstruction

the name of the party the politicians most of the white people there vote for changed but the Jim Crow principles of the politicians haven’t

(this was the whole point of ending Reconstruction, of course)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eschaton posted:

yeah, much of the former Confederacy has been under effectively one-party rule since the end of Reconstruction

the name of the party the politicians most of the white people there vote for changed but the Jim Crow principles of the politicians haven’t

(this was the whole point of ending Reconstruction, of course)

if the party changed its not one party rule just on its face. ill readily concede that effectively nothing is different between the two for the reasons youve laid out but thats a failure of american democracy and a two party system. if the assertion was that the same power structures have been in place since reconstruction (and lets be honest those date back to the nations founding) then sure thats trivially true but the fact the party can and has shifted with nothing changing other than the color on the map just serves to demonstrate that electoralism cannot be emancipatory

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

LastInLine posted:

if the party changed its not one party rule just on its face.

:wrong:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

and of course missing the whole point about how conformist the south is

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

LastInLine posted:

i am full of gibberish and can't stop talking

fixed it for ya

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LastInLine posted:

if the party changed its not one party rule just on its face.

even if the politicians themselves didn’t change?

one time they run as a D, the next time they run as an R, win both times because they court the racist white people vote and have zero changes to their other positions, sounds de facto one-party to me

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

eschaton posted:

one time they run as a D, the next time they run as an R

i appreciate you not using the r-word but i think it's okay to spell out "dick"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

eschaton posted:

even if the politicians themselves didn’t change?

one time they run as a D, the next time they run as an R, win both times because they court the racist white people vote and have zero changes to their other positions, sounds de facto one-party to me

when it's people I like it's enlightened, open-minded politicians accepting and adapting to the will of the majority, when it's people I don't like it's de facto one-party rule

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

supreme court decision i like: upholding the constitution!
supreme court decision i dont like: JUDICIAL ACTIVISM!!!!!!!!!!!!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

CryptoPunk 32 minutes ago [–]

>>High schoolers who get rotated out every six month won't exactly be the best at negotiating or even think of unionization efforts.
Artificially raising pay above market rates leads to higher consumer prices, and massive deadweight loss from greater unrealized production/earnings.
Between 1870 and 1900, when there was no minimum wage, or labor regulations to empower unions, US wages doubled in inflation-adjusted terms, while US industry expanded and became financially healthier.
This was very much unlike the post-war period, where US industry was running on borrowed time, making increasingly burdensome concessions to unions that led to huge bankruptcies and retrenchment in the 1970s in many industries.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

fritz posted:

CryptoPunk 32 minutes ago [–]

>>High schoolers who get rotated out every six month won't exactly be the best at negotiating or even think of unionization efforts.
Artificially raising pay above market rates leads to higher consumer prices, and massive deadweight loss from greater unrealized production/earnings.
Between 1870 and 1900, when there was no minimum wage, or labor regulations to empower unions, US wages doubled in inflation-adjusted terms, while US industry expanded and became financially healthier.
This was very much unlike the post-war period, where US industry was running on borrowed time, making increasingly burdensome concessions to unions that led to huge bankruptcies and retrenchment in the 1970s in many industries.

lmao oh my god

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Hell yes the hackers reinvent the gilded era.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

quote:

Promoting an Ethereum-based world.

Disclaimer: I am by no means a bonafide cryptopunk. I have contributed very little code and other meaningful technical work to privacy tech projects.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

NihilCredo posted:

when it's people I like it's enlightened, open-minded politicians accepting and adapting to the will of the majority, when it's people I don't like it's de facto one-party rule

that's not what happened though. the topic at hand was desegregation, and the politicians against it changed parties, and the people in support of it stayed where they were

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

re: japan and taiwan

Ericson2314 37 minutes ago [–]

I wonder if it would someday be possible to build and epic rail tunnel between them, by way of Okinawa or something.
If this block is the thessalacracy or whatever, increasingly long rail tunnels—be they Switzerland–Italy, Ireland–Britain, Chile–Argentina, or whatever else—would be my preferred foundation for international relations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hn thread: build and epic rail tunnel

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

NihilCredo posted:

the politicians did not change any of their positions when they switched parties

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Plorkyeran posted:

the politicians did not change any of their positions when they switched parties

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yaeyama is a lot closer to taiwan than okinawa, it’s like 150 miles. so uh i guess if japan was making a 200 mile rail tunnel through the ocean to a remote group of islands with 50,000 people then they might as well finish by connecting through to taiwan

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Japan already has the world's longest rail tunnel from the main island of Honshu to Hokkaido in the north.

The undersea segment is almost 15 miles long!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

eschaton posted:

because they court the racist white people vote and have zero changes to their other positions, sounds de facto one-party to me

yeah exactly

NihilCredo posted:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

alexandriao posted:

yeah exactly

its libshit both-sidesism