Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

mistermojo posted:

guys obsessed with Kanye who watched every show and couldnt wait to listen to the album: yeah this actually sucks lmao

I want it to be known I did not watch the listening parties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Jfc donda is bad. I can’t do this. I made it 20 minutes before giving up.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Cobra Commander posted:

Jfc donda is bad. I can’t do this. I made it 20 minutes before giving up.

you only made it less than 20% into the album. you can't make any judgments

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

must finish the whole poo poo sandwich to judge!!!

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Believe What I Say is my favourite so far.

tbh it feels like TLOP without any of the high points (ie it's very bland)

Every song is a random trap beat with a different feature and no real flair.

I think it would be possible to cut this into a 30 minute album that's pretty good

E: Maybe a 20 minute album

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Lot of fat to trim but the highs are good

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I'm just glad an official version of Hurricane is finally out.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

t a s t e posted:

Yeah this. It’s mostly good, lots of skips but I’m glad it finally came out

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

just finished listening. it has some moments, especially Hurricane. but it's mostly, like, boring? especially after such a dumb and lame rollout that was trying to hard to hype this thing up. it obviously worked for other people looking at Twitter I guess. idk man

in summary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1a0E2E35mc

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Finished my first listen, over all not a good album. Too long, way too much filler for no reason. Bunch of these songs feel like stuff that should have been recorded and tossed, but instead were extended and put on an album. Jesus Lord is pretty good, (parts 1+2 are like 20 minutes combined lmbo, way too much garbage in it, could cut Kanye entirely it would be better), Believe what I say is not bad, will probably give the album one more listen, but it’s filled with too much bad music to bother with 108 minute album

every song (original cut, never listened to all the updates, didn’t feel like keeping up) on TLOP except for awful stretch of I love Kanye, low lights, and freestyle 4 are better than every song on donda

4/10

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

t a s t e posted:

kanye for the past 15 years, imo

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
feel like if you cut this album off after "Moon," or if you cut 1-3 minutes off each song, its a pretty good album. you cant be this loving indulgent with garbage ye "verses" for this much combined runtime though without it just all sucking rear end

the ironic thing about jail having featured verses that are either (a) complete rear end or (b) made by a lovely homophobe is that the song itself would be much better if it was less than 3 minutes long and did not have either verse

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 29, 2021

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'll probably listen again but it's likely Kanye's never making a great album again. He really needs editors. There's a lot of good ideas here, and you can see some really great things happening but it's just too long. Too many songs of middling quality, and even a lot of the good songs just take too long with nothing really going on that's interesting at all.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

alansmithee posted:

I'll probably listen again but it's likely Kanye's never making a great album again. He really needs editors. There's a lot of good ideas here, and you can see some really great things happening but it's just too long. Too many songs of middling quality, and even a lot of the good songs just take too long with nothing really going on that's interesting at all.

:yeah:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Kanye bad

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The back half of the album is way better than the start, but half of this is unlistenable trash, and a quarter of it I would never listen to again. So many of the songs are just completely ruined by being so overproduced and long.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
i thought it owned and had minimal skips. some tracks way too long tho i will admit

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
pitchfork:

5.6 BNM

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its a weird project but honestly if he spent the same amount of time on this, on JiK then that album would've been much better received. Also I guess the era of the short Kanye album is officially over lol

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
Yeah it's Kanye so there's moments that shine but this thing needed to be 1/4 or 1/3 the length

There's 5ish songs on here I think are really good but they're buried by some questionable tracks

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I think the idea of a patchable album is not inherently a bad thing but as an artist you have to be able to let go at some point. Hyper perfectionism is also not inherently a bad thing, if you have a creative vision and the means to indulge it without it affecting somebody else’s livelihood then go hog wild.

The combination of these things is definitely, definitely not good for Mr. West. In my opinion the advent of streaming as the primary means of people engaging with music has hosed up the man’s art and that’s sad to me. I would not be interested in anything he’s doing post Trump anyway but the combination of not really being accountable to anyone due to the level of fame and wealth he has, and the aforementioned outlets to tinker and tweak forever are absolutely doing a number on his creative efforts. It’s a bummer man.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
You have to have people around you who are both willing and empowered to say No. I don’t think he even needs somebody who can overrule him, at the end of the day it’s his name on the album not Mike dean or whoever. But a dissenting voice to say “actually it probably would be good not to have an accused rapist on this track for no reason beyond courting controversy” or “you don’t need the same song with a different guest verse on your album as another track” would be a good thing.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

alansmithee posted:

Bismack Billabongo posted:

You have to have people around you who are both willing and empowered to say No. I don’t think he even needs somebody who can overrule him, at the end of the day it’s his name on the album not Mike dean or whoever. But a dissenting voice to say “actually it probably would be good not to have an accused rapist on this track for no reason beyond courting controversy” or “you don’t need the same song with a different guest verse on your album as another track” would be a good thing.

yep yep

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

This is objectively a good point

But if you're expecting Kanye to act rationally and/or not engage in loving stupid, self destructive, regressive behaviour in 2021 you're kidding yourself

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Probably outing myself as an idiot, but what was with the Larry Hoover stuff? I’m struggling to find an unbiased source of info on him and how Kanye West is related to him. Why this is the person Kanye would choose to bring attention to the need for sentencing/prison reform (or is it more personal and he just wants this one person released?)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My favorite band just broke up with what would have likely been an incredible album sitting on the shelf because the guy with the final say couldn’t just let go of it and put the dang thing out. poo poo sucks!

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
somebody buy the donda tamogachi and cut all the filler and get back to us please

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Donda Chant sounds like me trying to play Patapon after 15 years.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

^burtle posted:

Donda Chant sounds like me trying to play Patapon after 15 years.

the Desiigner influence weights heavy

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
This album was worth the wait, you can tell he really poured his whole soul into this album (not that he hasn’t with other albums). He’s really found a way to vocalize his pain and experience dealing with a lot of poo poo.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I was on the wing like Mbappe
I wished that I played for France
Instead, I'm on the wing with my hand down, my trousers
Something's getting plugged if I'm in this stance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlR7cuBAcXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKv-KP9rPF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKv-KP9rPF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdrUuP5ES78

err fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 29, 2021

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Donda is doo doo water

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

it’s no Pablo but can’t lie it’s miles better than Ye and Jesus is King. I might actually add a couple to my playlists

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The version on Apple Music in the UK is clean, is that the same for the other versions? Can’t find a dirty one on there

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
same on spotify lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Kanye just posted on instagram that universal put up his album without his approval lol

err
Apr 11, 2005

err posted:

This album was worth the wait, you can tell he really poured his whole soul into this album (not that he hasn’t with other albums). He’s really found a way to vocalize his pain and experience dealing with a lot of poo poo.

this is cap btw. album trash

err
Apr 11, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Kanye just posted on instagram that universal put up his album without his approval lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTK6NChoUIp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

My favorite band just broke up with what would have likely been an incredible album sitting on the shelf because the guy with the final say couldn’t just let go of it and put the dang thing out. poo poo sucks!

Was not expecting to find out about Chromatics breaking up in the rap thread, goddamnit Johnny.