Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Question about Clannad. If I’m not that invested in the relationship between Tomoya and Nagisa, is it worth reading the after story? I’m invested in her character and growth, and also her family, but I don’t see any real chemistry between her and the Tomoya so hard to get invested in the relationship. (At least not at the stage in the game I’m at).

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

theblackw0lf posted:

How was the writing for S compared to the original?

And the original was released last year.

I liked what I saw of it. Off the top of my head, I cleared all the new routes, and a few of the old After Stories, whereupon the project I was following died before those and True Route got translated.

New characters are good, and having movies definitely improves the experience.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Started reading the re-release of the first Utawarerumono. I'm not very far (I just did the second srpg section) but I like the characters alot.

I had to do a double take when I saw this line though. I have no idea why on earth they TLd it that way, I guess the editor missed it.

Yeah, I burst out laughing at this *exact* part, it's so absurd!

I'm pretty sure it's the only time he swears in the entire game, and it's in response to a sickly blind girl telling a story about two people he hasn't met yet

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

theblackw0lf posted:

Question about Clannad. If I’m not that invested in the relationship between Tomoya and Nagisa, is it worth reading the after story? I’m invested in her character and growth, and also her family, but I don’t see any real chemistry between her and the Tomoya so hard to get invested in the relationship. (At least not at the stage in the game I’m at).

Absolutely. That’s where some of the best content is.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thuryl posted:

i've read that the devs literally didn't know that the whole cellular memory thing was a myth when they wrote the first game, and wanted to keep the story within the realm of what was scientifically plausible

for the sake of not picking too hard at the entire rest of the plot, i'll leave it at that
I read it as ambiguous whether it was actual cellular memory or a manifestation of trauma/survivor's guilt in the first game. Can't remember if there was anything in the final scene that definitely disproves that.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Thuryl posted:

i've read that the devs literally didn't know that the whole cellular memory thing was a myth when they wrote the first game, and wanted to keep the story within the realm of what was scientifically plausible

AFAIK, the idea that the body can store memory that the brain can't is still open, with research being inconclusive, though giving "cellular memory" through organ transplants is false.

"Repressed memories" on the other hand is a largely discredited concept, but I doubt media will ever give it up as a trope.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think the way it was strayed is at all accurate though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think there's any way to scientifically justify what happens in the Michiru route but it was a decent exploration of the character. Might have a look at what the followups say about it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

theblackw0lf posted:

Question about Clannad. If I’m not that invested in the relationship between Tomoya and Nagisa, is it worth reading the after story?

Yes, you should consider it a mandatory part of the game

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think there's any way to scientifically justify what happens in the Michiru route but it was a decent exploration of the character. Might have a look at what the followups say about it.

Perhaps but I've never read Grisaia haha. The claim just seemed specifically that body memory as a concept is scientifically false, which AFAIK it's undecided.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I read it as ambiguous whether it was actual cellular memory or a manifestation of trauma/survivor's guilt in the first game. Can't remember if there was anything in the final scene that definitely disproves that.

the final scene gives explicit evidence that its real but even before that after getting the transplant she has periods where she doesnt remember anything but nobody else notices and in fact likes her "other" self more which causes her to have a breakdown. so if she's just imagining things that conflict flat out doesn't make sense as written. and her whole character arc is that she decides to let the other self take over and yuuji has to convince her not to. which if she's just putting on an act or something wouldn't even be particularly harmful or arguably an issue at all considering she's acting the exact same.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's very mgs2

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I viewed Grisaia as having slightly fantastical elements so that element of Michuru’s arc didn’t bother me. I mean Yuuji and his abilities is fairly ridiculous already. Or Sachi’s for that matter.

But if they were going for realism then yea it doesn’t fly.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

MegaZeroX posted:

Perhaps but I've never read Grisaia haha. The claim just seemed specifically that body memory as a concept is scientifically false, which AFAIK it's undecided.

I was trying to be vague to avoid spoilers, but to be clear, there's a character who has an alternate personality due to memories inherited from an organ transplant and then the devs apparently found out that's not a real thing that can happen so they retconned it as a symptom of psychological trauma instead.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In Umineko, are the original backgrounds and PS3 backgrounds pretty similar? I guess I’m asking specifically about the chess set used as a background sometimes - it shows up when Kinzo’s past is discussed in 1, and the ps3 art shows the board in a pretty weird position….and then makes a point of having the board be visible in the same position in Kinzo’s office despite being off in a corner at a different angle. Just curious if the chess board is set up the same across the versions, and my home internet is down which makes it a pain to check.

e: Hideyoshi owns

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 25, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait, is that why mgs2 had the arm thing or was that always just fantastical?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Wait, is that why mgs2 had the arm thing or was that always just fantastical?

So it's probably not related, but It's complicated. Ocelot is the Son of the Sorrow and the Boss, so he's implied to have some extra sensitivity to spiritual phenomena. When he glued on Liquids arm Liquids spirit possessed Ocelot powered by Liquids hatred of Solid. Realizing that his plan wouldn't work Ocelot had the arm surgically removed between 2 and 4, then used hypnotheraphy to convince himself he was still possessed in order to fulfill his plan to topple the Patriots control.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Whenever I come across a When They Cry manga volume in a store I always grab it, and if it’s past what I’ve read I don’t even really look at it at all until I’ve finished the corresponding book, and anyway that’s how I wandered around a local shop for like a half hour with Umineko 7 book 1 for like a half hour before finally seeing the cover literally as I put it on the counter for checkout.

What the gently caress.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I told you it was different

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Does anyone know anything about Buried Stars? Is it good?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Muramasa is one of the highest rated games on VNDB and just got an English release through JAST

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's also extremely not all-ages so it's not under the purview of this thread or from what I've heard something I'd want people stumbling into thinking it's in the same vein as what usually gets talked about here.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I think it can be talked about in the other thread though?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Muramasa is one of the highest rated games on VNDB and just got an English release through JAST

Yeah played that a long time back. Pretty good. Story was a bit hard to follow, and collecting swords got boring fast, but it looked gorgeous on the vita's OLED screen.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

While I haven’t played it myself, I’ve heard good things (vndb has it at 8.29). Sounds like it could use a trip report.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I told you it was different

yeah but holy poo poo ANGE put on some loving underwear I’m on a watchlist or something now

umineko should not be horny

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

yeah but holy poo poo ANGE put on some loving underwear I’m on a watchlist or something now

Are you sure you meant Umineko 7 volume 1? Because it really sounds like you're talking about an earlier episode's volume 1.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That's the embarrassing episode 8 volume 1, one i think. Extremely stupid decision.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I was confused too, but then I realized you must be talking about chapter 4. Which, okay, maybe but I didn't think it was that bad. But then, no, you probably actually mean chapter 8, which I hadn't seen and yikes, yeah, okay. That's a thing that didn't need to be that way.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motto posted:

It's also extremely not all-ages so it's not under the purview of this thread or from what I've heard something I'd want people stumbling into thinking it's in the same vein as what usually gets talked about here.

I mean, there was an extended conversation about grisaia. :v:

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Genuinely loved Buried Stars. The premise of "five reality tv celebrities and an intern trapped in a collapsing building with only twitter to contact the outside world" shouldn't be as good as it is. But all the moving pieces just work well together. Digging into what's true about the characters and what's the personality that's been forced onto them by the reality show production staff adds an intriguing mysteries with high tensions all around. The characters are just really interesting with messy histories. Trapping them in an enclosed space and watching them lose their minds as fake-twitter exposes secrets and smears them and raise the emotional stakes was just a blast.

Only major complaint is that its that there's a couple joke endings you can trip into that really distracted from the core interesting drama.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Grisaia's on Nintendo consoles, obviously it's completely family friendly.

Allegedly JAST are planning a future "All-Ages" English release of Muramasa, though the source on that is a little thin.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rockman Reserve posted:

Ah, I googled what I thought you were talking about, and found a cover that would've been very vexing for the Chapter 6 player.

The one with Lion and Will

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Acerbatus posted:

There are explicitly all-ages releases, and they are what I played, which makes the hosed up poo poo still in the game even worse.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Just finished the final volume of 9-Nine and I thought it was pretty spectacular and I can see why it’s ranked so highly on VNDB. The previous volumes 2 and 3 I thought were really good, with volume one being decent, but 4 is truly something special. The emotional journey those final hours takes you is pretty incredible.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 4, 2021

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Just finished the final volume of 9-Nine and I thought it was pretty spectacular and I can see why it’s ranked so highly on VNDB. The previous volumes 2 and 3 I thought were really good, with volume one being decent, but 4 is truly something special. The emotional journey those final hours takes you is pretty incredible.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it; it was a pleasure to work on the series. There's apparently a remake in the works which will bundle all the chapters together into a single game with some extra content, but I don't know when it's coming out or if an English translation is planned.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Ah, I googled what I thought you were talking about, and found a cover that would've been very vexing for the Chapter 6 player.

The one with Lion and Will

I might have that too, idk, I grab them when I see them and one I have definitely had characters I don’t know yet.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Thuryl posted:

I'm really glad you enjoyed it; it was a pleasure to work on the series. There's apparently a remake in the works which will bundle all the chapters together into a single game with some extra content, but I don't know when it's coming out or if an English translation is planned.

Oh what work did you do on it?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Oh what work did you do on it?

QA for all four games. If you found any typos, you can blame me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I remember this thread was talking about Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright and I just saw this video today covering how much the game hosed with the Ace Attorney mainline development.