Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’ve seen this photo posted several times on social media today. Apparently it’s from a music festival in Calgary that took place this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Pretty sure that's Chasing Summer, an EDM festival they hosted downtown this weekend.

We're so very hosed.

e: jesus lmao

quote:

The province says that as of Aug. 27 there are COVID-19 outbreaks at nine AHS and Covenant Health acute care facilities:

North Zone:
-Redwater Health Centre.
Edmonton Zone:
-Grey Nuns Community Hospital.
South Zone:
-Medicine Hat Regional Hospital.
-Chinook Regional Hospital.
-Cardston Health Centre.
-Crowsnest Pass Health Centre.
Calgary Zone:
-Peter Lougheed Centre.
-Foothills Medical Centre.
-Rockyview General Hospital.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 29, 2021

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

The edm anti vaxx venn diagram is pretty close to a circle.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
that's more a Shambhala thing, Chasing Summer is pretty mainstream college crowd stuff.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pleads posted:

Pretty sure that's Chasing Summer, an EDM festival they hosted downtown this weekend.
Yeah, I’ve seen some more photos and it’s labelled as being from Chasing Summer - Family Reunion 2021.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Shaq was going to play then he bailed so that was funny.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

berenzen posted:

Would you prefer a small oligarchy of big businesses instead?

I'm fine with small businesses as a concept. As individuals they often are innovative or provide better quality than the big box. The issue is they inevitably form small-business organizations, which join together in regional, provincial, and national umbrella organizations.
They then organize to fight against anything that would improve worker's lives and complain endlessly about everything. They're as bad as real estate boards.
And then this brings you to a place where a party that should be for workers specifically calls out support for small businesses when they already have an insane amount of government support.

I want to see NDP candidates talking about tackling the massive wage theft, the denial of benefits, the low pay, not more goddamn support for businesses.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Small business owners are the real welfare queens

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

I really enjoyed them seeing them begging for their welfare cheques during the pandemic tbh

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RBC posted:

I really enjoyed them seeing them begging for their welfare cheques during the pandemic tbh

Not just begging, demanding. While simultaneously fighting against CERB.

Big businesses are just as bad but they at least knew to not make their wishes public (except for the Westons, and at this point they should have every penny taxed and given to the tens of thousands of workers they exploited during covid).

e: Oh god I just scrolled past the Alberta covid numbers post. Approaching Florida levels of spread. :stare:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 29, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The Richmond Hill NDP still haven’t run a candidate so I guess I’m stuck voting for the liberal landlord.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I think most people won't start paying attention until after the labour day weekend. Polls and lack of candidates mean nothing until then

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

The Richmond Hill NDP still haven’t run a candidate so I guess I’m stuck voting for the liberal landlord.

if it makes you feel any better the eventual NDP candidate will probably be a landlord too

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Did someone say Small Business?

quote:

Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole announces plan to rebuild Main Streets

Saint-Hyacinthe, QC – Today, the Hon. Erin O’Toole, Leader of Canada’s Conservatives, introduced his plan to rebuild Main Streets across the country and help small businesses get back on their feet and create jobs.

“Canada’s small businesses employ millions of people and have been hit hard by the pandemic,” O’Toole said. “They need real support to help rebuild or restart their business and hire back workers – and that’s exactly what Canada’s Recovery Plan will deliver.”

To restore the one million jobs lost during the pandemic and rebuild Canada’s Main Streets, a Conservative government will introduce the Rebuild Main Street Tax Credit. The new incentive will give Canadians an opportunity to support small businesses by providing a 25 per cent tax credit on amounts of up to $100,000 that someone personally invests in a small business over the next two years.

A Conservative government will also introduce the Rebuild Main Street Business Loan, which will immediately make available interest-free loans of up to $200,000 to help small and medium businesses, with up to 25 per cent forgiven depending on revenue losses. These loans are significantly more generous than the Liberals’ $60,000 Canada Emergency Business Account loan, which fell short of the needs of thousands of eligible businesses.

In addition to the Rebuild Main Street Tax Credit and the Rebuild Main Street Business Loan, Canada’s Conservatives will introduce a Canada Investment Accelerator tax credit, which will provide five per cent back for any capital investment made in 2022 and 2023, with the first $25,000 to be refundable for small businesses.

“Canadian small businesses have given back to their communities in countless ways – whether it was sponsoring the local kids’ soccer team or raising money for charity,” said O’Toole. “A Conservative government will have their backs and ensure we secure the future for Canada’s Main Streets.”

Free money to Doctors/Lawyers/Dentists to invest in some strip mall or some poo poo that they'd have invested in anyway.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

Free money to Doctors/Lawyers/Dentists to invest in some strip mall or some poo poo that they'd have invested in anyway.

or just free money that they can pump into their own self proprietorship slush fund

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Femtosecond posted:

That brings up an interesting question from me, cause we have a Main Street in Vancouver that barely qualifies as a “Main Street” (goes DTES to Mt Pleasant to just housing). What street is Main Street then?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

A local hairdresser spent 5 grand on new signage with government money during the pandemic

build back better

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Brian Pallister leaving on Wednesday. I take no pleasure in reporting this

lol

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Discussions with my dumb conservative family really drive home how means testing poisons social programs and holds back their development.

Simple back of the envelope math reveals that in every way my brother's family is better off with $10 a day daycare over the Conservative childcare tax credit, though he immediately dismissed the $10 a day program because "it's years away and it'll never arrive" and "it'll be means tested so much I'll probably not get any benefit anyway." There's no trust with the government to actually deliver, and the Conservative tax credit is trivial to implement so yields immediate benefit.

The sad thing is that he's probably right.

Even if means testing the program is the most efficient way to do it according to some economist, by cutting a chunk of the populace out of the program, you create a new segment of political opposition to it, which works against the creation of said program.

Edit: There's some psychology of "means testing = I don't get anything" at play too I think. Even if this program was $20 a day for him because he makes too much money, he'd still be better off than now (and probably the Conservative program) but I don't think people are thinking along these lines.

Edit edit: Funny thing is I don't even know if this program will be means tested, but by means testing some things, it's like an infection that spreads to everything else where people start to presume it will be and government is simply leaving the details out. (Again it's about lack of trust in the government)

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 29, 2021

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Can't believe your dumb conservative family is suspicious of the federal Liberals big election season promises.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

e: Oh god I just scrolled past the Alberta covid numbers post. Approaching Florida levels of spread. :stare:

Being in Calgary this weekend, you can see why. It seems almost performative, how everyone is acting. It's like "look at how little we care about covid".

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Being concerned about the state of the world has been politicized to the point where people are literallychoking to death while pretending things are fine.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Alberta delenda est.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Femtosecond posted:

I don't think people are thinking

Yeah.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'm in an office full of conservative mindset people from Alberta and surprisingly (or maybe not) it's been the young women that are thinking about having children that have been impossible to turn to getting the vaccine. I've gotten to a couple of the others that aren't complete chuds but unfortunately the women have grouped around the opinion that they will not be getting any vaccine until there is a "proper" "long term" study of the effects of the vaccine on newly born children, which is a really convenient excuse to put it out of consideration for 2 or 3 years from now at minimum no matter what evidence comes out proving the vaccine is safe during that time.

When I've told them that the delta variant virus can make them go sterile and beyond that is causing severe permanent damage up to death to a significant percentage of even young and healthy people who get it they say that they don't care because they know that if they do get it they won't die (???).

It's quite a mindfuck to limit your lifestyle choices to protect the people around you when they themselves do not give a single poo poo about catching the virus.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’ve met completely liberal women who don’t want the vaccine due to reproductive concerns and worries about after effects.

They wind up turning to poo poo like essential oils instead.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The healthcare field doesn't have a great history of treating women well, but there's a massive predatory alt-med industry designed to prey on these valid issues and take people down a deep dark rabbit hole.

Combine MLMs (that generally target women) that sell alt-med snake oil poo poo and you get a horrible combination.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Femtosecond posted:

Hey great! Not one, not two, but three different ways of returning tax money to rich people. This is the kind of innovation and forward thinking I look for in my representatives.

ChickenDoodle posted:

That brings up an interesting question from me, cause we have a Main Street in Vancouver that barely qualifies as a “Main Street” (goes DTES to Mt Pleasant to just housing). What street is Main Street then?

Main is also not very attractive to pedestrians on the southern portion because of the pretty big incline it takes after Terminal. Commercial is a slightly better Main St.
Are main streets allowed to be downtown, Robson perhaps? I might actually consider Denman as having a 'main street' kind of feel.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kraftwerk posted:

I’ve met completely liberal women who don’t want the vaccine due to reproductive concerns and worries about after effects.

They wind up turning to poo poo like essential oils instead.

There are also plenty of young men who won't get vaccinated because they're convinced they will go sterile too. It's a popular rationale for not getting the vaccine in general and as you suggest seems to transcend political affiliation as well. Like the other more niche but still popular "you're all going to die within 3 years", it seems to set itself up as a sort of delayed prediction of doom, probably because the immediate possible side effects of the vaccine are easy to demonstrate as very rare.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
https://twitter.com/rohanarezel/status/1432142836057706502?s=19

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Since I have a CineD gang tag and we're talking about landlords, I always read these landlord lists and hear the voice from the trailer for DEATH PROMISE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBvIc438kds

Also Brian Pallister is stepping down as Premier on Wednesday so I'm guessing that Manitoba will have Premier "Betsy Devos and Ted Cruz and oopsy also literal Nazis as my peers at speaking engagements" Goertzen.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

InfiniteZero posted:

literal Nazis as my peers at speaking engagements" Goertzen.

Whoa whoa, friend. You can't just call those Nazis Nazis! That's rude! They only really count as Nazis if they've invaded Poland and have a card from the Fuhrer himself. Shame on you.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

InfiniteZero posted:

Since I have a CineD gang tag and we're talking about landlords, I always read these landlord lists and hear the voice from the trailer for DEATH PROMISE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBvIc438kds

Also Brian Pallister is stepping down as Premier on Wednesday so I'm guessing that Manitoba will have Premier "Betsy Devos and Ted Cruz and oopsy also literal Nazis as my peers at speaking engagements" Goertzen.

Death Promise is an incredible movie, both straight and Rifftraxed

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Being concerned about the state of the world has been politicized to the point where people are literallychoking to death while pretending things are fine.

Speaking of politicization. I don't follow this thread closely, but what are people's thoughts on federal proposals for mandatory vaccines for things like transportation?

I seem to find myself in this odd zone where I'm mostly opposed to requiring vaccines (unless say you're a nurse at a hospital or old folk's home) and yet I have both doses myself and think the vaccines are beneficial. I find anti-vaxers to be morons but don't agree with those that think it should be mandatory which seems to be put me in this political no-mans land. Apologies if this has already been discussed to death.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Speaking of politicization. I don't follow this thread closely, but what are people's thoughts on federal proposals for mandatory vaccines for things like transportation?

I seem to find myself in this odd zone where I'm mostly opposed to requiring vaccines (unless say you're a nurse at a hospital or old folk's home) and yet I have both doses myself and think the vaccines are beneficial. I find anti-vaxers to be morons but don't agree with those that think it should be mandatory which seems to be put me in this political no-mans land. Apologies if this has already been discussed to death.

100% for all restrictions on non-essential activities for the unvaxxed. Out of curiosity what's your opposition to them being mandatory? Actual valid medical exemptions are miniscule (basically just a confirmed serious reaction to the first shot or a known PEG allergy).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Count Roland posted:

I'm personally highly in favour of mandatory vaccinations with (ideally pre-existing) medical exemptions only. If you're actually allergic to a vaccine ingredient there's no reason to crack down on those people, but some sort of safeguard should exist to prevent antivaxxers from finding unscrupulous doctors who will write them all notes for $50 or something.

Even if there are no penalties at all (but this is kept secret) the announcement of vaccine mandates has led to a pretty sharp vaccine uptake.

As for Federal vs. Provincial jurisdictional questions, I'd much rather see it be overseen by the Federal government, because the Alberta government is too beholden to right wing crazies to implement a passport system, and I'd like to be able to travel to other parts of the country.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Count Roland posted:

I'm confused, you said you're on board with mandates in hospitals and long-term care homes but "don't agree… it should be mandatory"? What principle guides your thoughts on which jobs should require vaccination?

I think reasonable people can disagree on where exactly to draw the line. The pediatric cancer nurse who moonlights at the long-term care home across the street, sure. The sole proprietor hobby farmer who spends all day outside five miles from the nearest human, maybe not. In between are a ton of jobs with a huge range of interaction with vulnerable populations.

The "federal" part is a fun wrinkle too, because provinces have a varying willingness to do even the most obvious and non controversial work to quash covid, so some kind of useful baseline for anything in federal jurisdiction becomes more appealing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

flakeloaf posted:

Put me down for $20 on the CPC, for saying the quiet part about racism out loud

goddammit

https://twitter.com/davidakin/status/1432333789875908618

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Otoole had to sidestep questions about whether he denounces Cheryl Gallant's batshittery after she put out a video suggestion that Trudeau will implement a climate lockdown.

I honestly want that woman to die. Throw herself in the goddamn river and then drown while complaining that we don't need the coast guard on the Kitchissippi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

If the Conservatives won they're probably going to make her Environment minister to own the libs. I hope people think about that before they decide voting is a waste of time.