Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bought some floppy wide brimmed hat from REI years ago. It instantly made me look 20 years older but it's been a great hat. It folds flat so I can stuff it in my pack when I don't need it and it's always available when I do. Keeps rain off my glasses and the sun off my neck.

I also buy sun hoodies these days, I'll use that if I really need to keep the sun off me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

As a bald ginger I have hats. My current favorite (that I left in Bend at a friends house after camping Memorial Day weekend) is a lightweight North Face boonie cap I picked up in Japan. It's the perfect weight for hot weather, large enough I can put it on over the hood of my sun hoodie if I'm in a "lol shade? no" situation. I also bought an lightweight fishing balaclava from Airhole that I started wearing instead of the the hoodie some times.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have a Filson tin cloth hat that I like for fall hiking. Keeps the sun off of me, repels water, and I treat it with premithrin to keep the bugs away.

In the summer I have a cotton Filson hat. I like to soak it in water then wring out what I can and wear again to keep me cool.

Also in fall a Stetson open road. I am old, married, and with children though so I don’t mind looking like a doofus anymore.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

huhu posted:

Didn't realize stacking rocks was so controversial.

At the absolute least it reminds me that other people exist.

Not the biggest deal but I could do without it being advertised on the trail.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

i wear an old black cotton nike baseball cap with an excellent patina.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

wide brim hats are nice but i sweat a lot on the trail and they just get gross. I switched to a free mesh baseball cap i got a tigers game 5 years ago and its worked great. i permethrin the poo poo out of it and barely ever have to worry about bugs in my face

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I never liked trucker/mesh style baseball hats but I love them for hiking. Patagonia low crown truckers all day every day.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I perch my wide brim loosely on top of my head so that it doesn't mingle with my sweat much and I can tip it from side to side depending on where the sun is. I love my hat.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I wear one of those caps with the neck cape. It does a great job of keeping my neck shaded as well as the rest of my head. I think the one I've been using is an Outdoor Research brand, previously it was Duluth Trading, but before that it was Outdoor Research again. But before that it was once again Duluth Trading. But the very first one that's been lost somewhere on Kent Peak in Idaho was Outdoor Research. So I dunno, try stuff you might like

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Wide brimmed floppy hat, I’m old and already have skin damage from to much sun

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
An exofficio boonie hat with a built in bug net if it’s sunny or buggy. Otherwise a variety of trucker hats.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Sun hoodie.

and every now and then an ancient boonie type hat that is actually too small for my noggin

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m excited to give my hat a try this weekend :)

Y’all use hiking poles? They seem more trouble than they are worth for everything but the most extreme hikes?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Trekking poles are extremely good and I don't understand people who go on backpacking hikes without them.

Poles for day hikes are a little more meh.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m excited to give my hat a try this weekend :)

Y’all use hiking poles? They seem more trouble than they are worth for everything but the most extreme hikes?

they are dope, and when i backpack they're part of my shelter. i can't count the times a pole has either directly saved me from injury or just made me more confident in tricky tread.

e: thread correct me if i'm wrong, but the costco poles are hands-down the best quality to value buy. carbon fiber with cork grips, extra feet etc. mine were 30 us dollars. insane

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nice, Costco delivers again. I will pick up some poles. Anything I should look out for in terms of sizing my poles?

Is the REI flash 18 pack from the 2012 OP still the go-to inexpensive reliable day pack?

https://www.rei.com/product/185562/rei-co-op-flash-18-pack

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Happiness Commando posted:

They get easier to understand when turning into an old gently caress and descents are murder on the knees. The small percentage of your weight going into the poles helps a ton.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I did the Angels Landing Trail in Zion today. Roughly high of 100F. 4 hour hike round trip, steep uphill the entire way to the peak. Coming down I passed a ton of people with no water or a 20oz bottle. People dumb.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Anything I should look out for in terms of sizing my poles?

they have a lot of range, but basically on flat tread your arms (upper straight down, 90 at elbow so forearms parallel to ground) should grip the poles comfortably touching the ground with room to spare for uphill/downhill adjustment

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Trekking poles on a day hike are amazing when you get to that last steep downhill stretch at the end of the day.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Trekking poles are great on any hike involving gain, loss, or bad tread. For backpacking they are indispensable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don't tend to use poles for backpacking but for big days in real elevation they're a must. I would not have completed my R2R2R without them. My arms were more sore the following days, which proved to me just how much the poles were doing to take strain off my knees.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nice, Costco delivers again. I will pick up some poles. Anything I should look out for in terms of sizing my poles?

Is the REI flash 18 pack from the 2012 OP still the go-to inexpensive reliable day pack?

https://www.rei.com/product/185562/rei-co-op-flash-18-pack

I got mine in like 2012 and it’s still going strong after many hikes and international trips.

So as long as they didn’t somehow get much worse I’d consider my post a recommendation.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

The flash 22 adds side pockets and a top flap with pocket plus presumably slightly more space inside while still being very light (9 oz vs 13 oz). I think either the 22 or the 18 is a good choice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only downside I see on the modern flash 18 is they went from two strips of webbing down the edges to a single strip down the middle. If you aren't hanging stuff off your backpack it's fine but I do actually use those (I weave some shock cord between them and use it to lash my poles to the bag) and it makes it a downgrade in my eyes.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I really like my Deuter Speed Lite 20. It's $80 regular but I think I picked one up from the outlet a while ago for ~$40 or so.

I posted in the gear thread but the REI Trail 25 is 30% off for the labor day sale as well https://www.rei.com/product/168484/rei-co-op-trail-25-pack-mens

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Trekking poles are extremely good and I don't understand people who go on backpacking hikes without them.

I even use poles trail running when I am in the mountains and the elevation gain/loss is above 1,000 feet. It saves your knees on the downhill sections.

huhu posted:

I did the Angels Landing Trail in Zion today. Roughly high of 100F. 4 hour hike round trip, steep uphill the entire way to the peak. Coming down I passed a ton of people with no water or a 20oz bottle. People dumb.

Reminds me when my wife and I were doing a short hike on Bright Angel trail in the Grand Canyon (we went to one of the rest houses and back) an older gentlemen stopped her cause she wasn't carrying any water or even a pack at all. He told her that she needed to turn around or take some of his water. She points to me (I was like 30 yards behind her) and said don't worry that is my pack mule (of course I was loaded down with more water and food than we would ever need). In in all fairness to her she always carries her weight on most of our hikes, but for some reason (I think cause it was so short) I told her I would carry everything on this one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I usually offer to carry all our food and water on day trips, it's not some chivalry thing I just like having weight on my back, it feels like I'm getting more of a workout. So might as well let my wife walk with no load.

She gets mock-offended though, insisting she can carry stuff too. Her fault for marrying an idiot.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah same. I like feeling the quad/booty flex when weight is involved.

Plus if I don’t bring extra stuff my friends will die because they always try to flex on how they’re fine then they have to stop every couple miles. I miss my hiking friends across the country.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I bought the Thermarest Neo air xlite ( https://www.rei.com/product/881574/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-pad) sleeping pad and I hate it. Sounds like sleeping on crinkling paper and doesn't support me well as a stomach sleeper. Any 6 foot tall stomach sleepers have any recommendations? I don't need something that's ultra lite. I'm an incredibly light/bad sleeper so I'm willing to carry a bit more weight for comfort.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It takes a bit but the crinkle does go down some. Not sure what would help for a large dude stomach sleepe though.

The real nightmare though was a shelter I slept at that had all 12 of us sleeping on one. Loudest night ever

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

It takes a bit but the crinkle does go down some. Not sure what would help for a large dude stomach sleepe though.

The real nightmare though was a shelter I slept at that had all 12 of us sleeping on one. Loudest night ever

I've had it for like 2 years now. I swear leaving it out in the Utah sun made it a lot worse.

Debating just getting like an inflatable twin mattress for car camping...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sea to Summit's 'comfort' line of self-inflating pads is very foamy and not crinkly. Not a cheap option, but they're well made.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

huhu posted:

I bought the Thermarest Neo air xlite ( https://www.rei.com/product/881574/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-pad) sleeping pad and I hate it. Sounds like sleeping on crinkling paper and doesn't support me well as a stomach sleeper. Any 6 foot tall stomach sleepers have any recommendations? I don't need something that's ultra lite. I'm an incredibly light/bad sleeper so I'm willing to carry a bit more weight for comfort.

i had one of these and aside from the noise issues it started leaking after a season. i could never track down where the leak was and they wouldn't service it, so i'm happily back on the foldable egg-crate pads now

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i will take any opportunity to stan the klymit static v pads

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm trying to get rid of an insulated static V that's been my backup for a while if anyone wants. I'll let it go for a song and/or dance.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
For what it's worth, I've never found a pad that is particularly good for stomach sleeping. You just need a level of softness that is difficult to achieve without a mattress. If you're car camping I'd look into fairly thick pads or inflatables, and some folks swear by cots. A hammock might be a good alternative if you want something light, since it will such be a different way to sleep that you might not be tempted to roll onto your stomach.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 29, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

God Hole posted:

i will take any opportunity to stan the klymit static v pads

I'm trying to get rid of an insulated static V that's been my backup for a while if anyone wants. I'll let it go for a song and/or dance.

This is the one I have for bikepacking and it's been surprisingly good. Not quite as wide or tall as I need (even in the Long), but for a shorter person they're probably the best deal on the market.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Just got back from Yosemite (second visit) and kicked over a stack of rocks in the Merced river.

Tuolumne Meadows may be my new favorite part of the park. Got to see clear blue skies the day I spent there and then fire smoke rolled in the rest of the trip.

It was a lot less crowded than my last visit (Thurs-Sun before Labor Day 2017) but still pretty busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Alamoduh posted:

Hoka speedgoat 4. Even the EE width tend to run a bit narrow, though. 800 miles and counting over a couple of pairs on the AT with them and the cushioning can’t be beat- I came from altar line peaks and had the same problem you did.

testifeye posted:

Seconding the Speedgoats! I just posted this in the gear thread since someone was also asking about them.

Quoting the other thread:
I trained in Soeedgoats for a year for running and backpacking, and they were awesome. I did the Wonderland (93 miles, 24000 ft gain and loss, varied terrain and river crossings) in them with no blisters and healthy feet. Just got a new pair for this season.

Footwear is really personal and I think trial and error was what I needed to find my best arrangement. I like REI for that because I can return shoes even after trying them for a reasonable stretch.

nate fisher posted:

- Hoka Speedgoat (I prefer the 3rd and EVO versions over the 4 due to it's weight gain, but still a great shoe with cushion and traction).

Thank you all for the suggestions! Got a pair of Speedgoats and they were absolutely perfect for a fairly strenuous 4 days in The Enchantments. Long dirt trails, exposed granite, minor scrambling, mud, heavy pack, whatever. Felt great on my feet in all situations and no complaints at all.