Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

spirit box shows a cute little ghost icon, now, instead of the word the ghost is saying. also the voice is a lot more distorted/garbled. it's still very obvious when you get a hit with it, at least imo.

changes mostly rule, and I can't wait to play more. I feel really bad at this game again now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I've been playing this off and on since it first came out, and I gotta say this update seems huge for graphics quality, and I think it's really just that the things most in your face are all better models now.

We had a ghost on the big farmhouse that was very shy, but when we setup a DOTS thing in room and a camera pointing in the door, it had a grand time just scurrying back and forth across the doorway.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
The changes are a fresh breath of life into this game. Also I die so much now and I have no idea how to work the dots projector. You can use the night vision mode on the video camera now so you don't need to have a strong flashlight or be in the truck to see orbs. Orbs also seem a lot more obvious.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like alot of the changes but maybe I just got unlucky but my friends and I have had a way harder time getting evidence to show up or finding the ghost room on certain maps than ever before. Seems like the ghosts wander way more frequently or something? Multiple matches where we got the ghost wrong becuase the third piece of evidence never showed up. Ever. Which led to alot of wasted time.

Does the Dot's projector mess with the ghost hunting? Our last round of the night the ghost room was in a bathroom, we set up a dot projector and I watched it on the truck for like 5 solid minutes while people did other things around the house and there was 0 sillohete at all (I know what to look for cuz I watched a video) but the door did creak a bit so I know the ghost walked in or out. (it was an oni so dot projector was the last piece we needed in that one...)

But anyways, more importantly it never hunted or even tried like, a single time. That is until someone went into the bathroom alone AND turned off the dot projector, we were all at 0 sanity and he stayed in the bathroom for a solid 3-4 minutes and it wasn't until he turned off the projector to move it that he instantly got hunted and killed. I went in to take a picture of the body and it also only hunted when I turned off the projector (which he panic put back up after the hunt started)

Maybe it's a coincidence? But it was weird to happen twice like that.

Absolutely love the changes to the hunt though, my only gripe is I think the radio static should also only happen when you're near the ghost so it still isn't a dead giveaway. The frequency of the hunt is a bit silly now though, had a round in the prison where the ghost would hunt practically seconds after finishing one.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 29, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

well after today's hotfix one particular bug fix stands out:

-Fixed a bug where the DOTS Projector interaction would only work if the host placed it

It certainly explains a lot.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well that answers that. Jeeze, at least I wasn't going crazy!

Oh another thing, maybe this was always the case and I just forgot but is the ghost like invisible way more often? Twice I got hunted and the ghost never visually showed up (was not flickering) so I couldn't even get a picture of it before it killed me. Wasn't one of the kind that aren't visible or whatever either.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I don't know if this will answer your question but all ghosts are now invisible during the 3(!) second hunt start up time as of the last update. As for during the actual hunt the one time I did see it (when I finally died) it was flickering like it normally does, same for another hunt when I was in the truck watching it through cameras. I also don't think any ghost types are completely invisible during a hunt, maybe it just came from an angle you couldn't see it from?

As for photos during hunts I generally don't bother just because you'll usually get an interaction photo at most and requires you to be close enough you're probs gonna get killed for it. :shrug:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
It seems to be less visible overall and it seems like ghost writing refuses to happen.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Making a double post to say as an aside ghosts are just way more lethal now simply because you have so little time to react and the tells feel a lot worse. Easiest way to tell a hunt has started now is if you're close enough to the entry doors to hear them close and lock I've found, with watching a dots for it flickering being a close second.

e: dang I lost my double post.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

It seems to be less visible overall and it seems like ghost writing refuses to happen.

We hucked two books out in a bathroom on our run, we got writing in both :shrug:

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

We got several ghosts last night where writing was one of the clues. Some ghosts just take their drat time writing something. This was an issue before the updates as well. Seems like we'd wait around forever, getting hunted over and over and it refused to write in the book. Very frustrating. I wonder if it has to do with the books location within the ghost room. No idea.

So, night vision is really crap in the new mode. Half the time when I put the camera down, i can't see anything in the room, not even the DOTS projector lights things up reliably. It's all black with barely any gray, can't see anything in the room. It's super frustrating.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ghosts do NOT gently caress around now. Our crew of goofs that could Scooby Gang our way through anything was getting bodied now.

DOTS not working definitely didn’t help but ghosts seems to spawn in your mouth far more often.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Between all the changes, and the fact that ghosts wander around a lot more now (making it harder to figure out if the reading or evidence you just got was in the ghost's actual room or if it was out for a wander) this game feels a lot more challenging and scary now. I'm loving the changes. Could def use further tweaks but I'm optimistic about the direction the game's going.

Movement feels 100x better now

e: The movement's been especially great for my hoop game too. Sprints = actual layups are now possible

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 30, 2021

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

e: The movement's been especially great for my hoop game too. Sprints = actual layups are now possible

But can you get a spray can in the hoop now? :thunk:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i cant play the hoop game anymore since my score is at 69 and i know ill be too lazy to grind it to 420

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i just stopped at lucky number 13, which is the best number for this game imo

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I hit 666 before they added in the easter egg that makes lightning strike, then hosed it up and got all the way up to 777 at which point I drunkenly hit another hoop a different night to further ruin it. Now my score sits at 789, because I am amused by that joke.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

But can you get a spray can in the hoop now? :thunk:

sadly no

Protip for anyone wanting to improve their game: you get a better arc and aim if you shoot while raising from a crouched position, just like using your knees irl

I think phasmo has potential for a basketball simulator side game

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How do people survive hunts in Willow Street House, other than dumb luck? My strategy has mostly been to wedge myself in corners and try to put furniture between me and the nearest doorway (assuming I'm not stuck in that big open room in the middle). Surprisingly I've been mostly lucky so far, but it's definitely the location where me and my regulars die the most.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
basement has a bunch of props everywhere you can hide behind, it's my go-to spot. if i can't make there or at least garage i usually just do what you say and hope the ghost doesn't decide to come too close

spent half of the drat hunt listening to heartbeat on that map more than once lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So far I've had luck hiding out by the garage washer/dryer, the big plywood board in the garage by the front passenger side bumper, and by the fridge in the corner. Other than that I've mostly just crouched and tried to loop the ghosts around whatever furniture is nearby.

Also smudge sticks are practically must-haves for hunts now if you want to survive them.

e: speaking of hunts, I love the changes. It's legit freaky when they get close enough that all your poo poo starts to go haywire.

Do we have any confirmation whether it's all electronics (incl flashlight, video camera, etc) that attract the ghost, or only the ones that make noise (e.g. emf/spirit box/etc)?

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 30, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Agreed, Smudge Sticks are a requirement if you are trying to do any of the hunt objectives, not just the one for repelling. I find the large maps to be the worst for getting hunted on if you're in the ghost room, as you have long swathes of no LOS blockers to the next room down even. At least on the smaller maps you can quickly round a few corners and put a door between you and the ghost.

edit: your flashlight being on was an example mentioned by the devs themselves I want to say, I think it's everything but a headmounted camera that counts if it's an electronic.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
speaking of the big maps, I don't know if this is news only to me, but a few weeks ago I discovered that bathroom stalls (apparently) function the same as closets/lockers

e:

Evil Kit posted:

edit: your flashlight being on was an example mentioned by the devs themselves I want to say, I think it's everything but a headmounted camera that counts if it's an electronic.
ahhh nice. That feels a bit more intuitive somehow, it's a good change

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 30, 2021

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Behind the washer/dryer in the garage and behind the trash can in the basement are pretty good spots in Willow, among others. Mind you, they are not guaranteed. Pre-update, I once survived five straight hunts behind that washer/dryer, but the ghost finally peeked around on the sixth hunt and killed me. Smudge sticks are even more important now, and I think being careful about always having sprint ready to go if you're in hunting range is important as well.

Supposedly it's anything that can be turned on/off (both automatically like the cameras and manually like spirit box, etc...) while holding in your hand, plus the flashlight being on which the ghost can detect. Either turn it off, drop it or switch to something else. I haven't personally confirmed this, though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the only electric things that don't attract ghost now are global chat radio and the headcam. so if you're away from other stuff that blinks a lot the only way to know when hunt is done is tapping radio pretty much

everything else must either be holstered/switched off or thrown to the ground. i.e. you can't switch off the photo camera, but you can holster it and then switch off your flashlight. i just throw that poo poo on the ground tho, unless i'm trying to photo the ghost

speaking of, it's happened way too many times now where i wait for hunt to photo ghost, then smudge and escape, and no ghost on photo :argh:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

In the numerous games I've played where people tried to take a photo of the ghost during a hunt 99% of the time you get nothing because it's just blinked out of existence for a brief moment when you take the picture or it's an interaction photo. The other 1% you get a Ghost photo but honestly using hunts to do it isn't worth it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i know, but a lot of times the drat ghost just doesn't show up. i've had really bad luck and had mostly super shy ghosts since the update, too, so that's my go-to method now lol

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

We just ran Edgefield, and I got a cold spot at the base of the stairs, with my buddy behind me. Suddenly HIISSSSSSS in my ear, and the door starts swinging closed; turned around and the shadowy motherfucker is RIGHT THERE on the stairs, trying to path through the railing to get at my tender bits. loving horrifying

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010

mercenarynuker posted:

We just ran Edgefield, and I got a cold spot at the base of the stairs, with my buddy behind me. Suddenly HIISSSSSSS in my ear, and the door starts swinging closed; turned around and the shadowy motherfucker is RIGHT THERE on the stairs, trying to path through the railing to get at my tender bits. loving horrifying

Good thing your friend was between you and the ghost. I guess.

Always have a sacrifice nearby.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Happy Litterbox posted:

Good thing your friend was between you and the ghost. I guess.

Always have a sacrifice nearby.

I do this to pubbies. That old axiom of you only need to outrun the slowest person was never more true.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Played the latest update; the graphic updates look great, but I hope they never change the incredibly cursed character models/animations. Just wouldn't be Phasmophobia anymore :v:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

There's a tall white dude who has the most unsettling and inhuman walk, coupled with a dead-eyed vacant stare. My buddy plays that one, and has scared the poo poo out of me multiple times thinking he's the ghost

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The VR player movement in this is what creeps me out, freaking weird positions and motions, ugh.

We had a bug tonight (not VR related) where someone had the purple flashlight and was pointing it at hand prints, but on my end she was pointing the light straight up at the ceiling. She ended up having to point at the bottom of the door and listen to me going "Okay, aim up a little more, oh wait too much, yeah there it's close, just a touch higher..."

About 1 minute later the ghost murdered me. But I died right next to the bone, so that's a win?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I don't know if it'll make you feel any better but if you were trying to get a photo of the fingerprints, it doesn't need to be highlighted by the UV light. You can generally just center the camera on the door and snap a pic to get the credit.

Dying by the bone is a extremely appropriate though.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Hoo wow, it's a lot harder now, isn't it? Played with some friends this evening and I think we managed to pick out the ghost correctly once, and had two out of three people die every single time. Even on intermediate!

Now that the ghost wanders around so much it's also really hard to pin down where to place equipment. It's pretty refreshing and feels like it did when I first played.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The new journal is incredible. Also happy 1 year :toot:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yeah holy poo poo the new journal whips rear end

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah holy poo poo the new journal whips rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

oh wow, you weren't kidding. the journal is so much more useable now, easier to navigate and with more information than before. this is a huge improvement!