Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
left button levitate, left trigger pyro, right button mental connections or TK and right trigger for everything else, in escalating priority of rebind. i don't think i rebound levitate more than once or twice total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

levitate is the one button I have not unbound once in this entire game

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I bound Levitate L1, Mental Connection L2, and PSI Blast R1 and never changed them for the entire game. R2 was everything else and constantly changed. Like, you always want to have your mobility powers on hand, right? And PSI Blast is so generally useful.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

My usual loadout was Levitate on left trigger (where it stayed for 100% of the game), Psi Blast on right bumper (where it stayed for about 75% of the game), and then right trigger was typically either TK or Time Bubble depending on the best option for a given fight and left bumper was dedicated to whatever ability the game was asking me to rotate to. Usually Pyro for fights. I never got the hang of using Mental Connections in battle, despite upgrading it to be able to root enemies pretty early.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
pyro is better than psy blast and it's not remotely close. psy blast i mostly only took out to deal with censors or for some bosses.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There is something about the cutscenes in this, especially lategame, that just isn't as funny or cleverly written as the first one, but I can't really put my finger on it. None of them are all that memorable.
Compare them to This cutscene from the first game, of the inmates burning down the asylum.

The whole Gruvolia plot feels a bit tacked on tbh, especially when Raz tries to talk about it, since he has very little relation to it. It's kinda been bothering me.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The extra button was definitely Pyro for like 50-70% of the game.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I shouldn't take any cues from Rhombus of Ruin, should I? I just played through it in preparation for Psychonauts 2 and it really put me off. Just the dullest most low-tech type of VR game -- you don't have hands or a body, you can't move, no actual game mechanics besides pointing at stuff with your head and pressing a button. Two hours of solving incredibly simple point-and-click puzzles and making your neck sore turning it every which way because they didn't even bother to program pointer support for the controllers (hell, the game seemed to think I had Vive controllers and kept telling me keybinds that didn't match my Index Knuckles).

P2 is much better, right?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Psychonauts 2 is a completely different kind of game, and a very good execution of the concept. Don't expect any similarities at all in terms of gameplay.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Levitate is so fundamentally important to traversal that there's no reason to ever swap it out. The superjumping (hold melee button to charge) and longjumping gives you extra air that sometimes feels like it breaks the intended design of some spaces.

xiw posted:

Anyone got any cool screenshots? I could use some teams backgrounds from this...

This made me go look. As usual, Xbox on PC is utterly bonkers. The path to screenshots is C:\Users\x\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Psychonauts2_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Local\Psychonauts2\Saved\Otto-Shot\Save Slot 1

Here's a few I took! (spoilers)

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I think the plot of RoR matters but having not played it, they bring up everything you need to know pretty well. Gameplay-wise, they have nothing in common.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

The reason to swap out levitate is that if you enable floating as a triple jump and the other levitate option in the controls you can do almost everything you need it to without actually having it equipped.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Broken Cog posted:

There is something about the cutscenes in this, especially lategame, that just isn't as funny or cleverly written as the first one, but I can't really put my finger on it. None of them are all that memorable.
Compare them to This cutscene from the first game, of the inmates burning down the asylum.

The whole Gruvolia plot feels a bit tacked on tbh, especially when Raz tries to talk about it, since he has very little relation to it. It's kinda been bothering me.

part of that is a deliberate change in tone, psychonauts tried to be very comedic and cartoony almost the entire run through keeping the heavy stuff off in side content, while 2 honestly kind of overreaches in putting it front and centre. this was a problem intermittently with the final act and some characters but it hits hardest with maligula/nona, because they're supposed to be the same character but maligula is never funny and nona is never serious. this kind of preserves the twist a little and is intended, but it means you get tonal whiplash in the finale. haha funny old lady! also, mass drowning of political opponents. haha she can't remember!

it also means that there's never like, a moment where it gets serious and you're reminded genuinely nona likes or cares about raz? like she doesn't dislike him she just had more grandchildren then remaining short term memory, may we all be so fortunate, she had a strong emotional connection with augustus not raz. she also did, imo, a loving fantastic job given how cool he turned out. i feel like they really should have hammered the recovery aspect there, gone into how they both helped each other get over the grief and heal independently of the poo poo ford did thus explaining why she's not furious- you get hints at it, that nona was herself stitching together this mental dreamscape over her tramua and how important it was to her, but they should have gone deeper.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm missing a eyeball figment in PSI Kings level and it's driving me insane.

One of them is hidden behind the bus in the woods area, at least that was the one that I needed to hunt for.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Got it. Just need the 3 I'm missing in Bob's Bottles :) Wish I had a idea of where to look.

Also I just got Dr. Potts name pun while messing around and god I just didn't even pick it up :negative: Jackpotts should have instantly clicked the second he told the nurse to call him Jack.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's too bad, really, because I think that fight could be improved like 10x if only all (or just more than one) of the ingredients for the round could pop out of the same vomit so the fight isn't so drat long.

Something really shorten and give player control would be handy. The problem is it's too obvious that you're just waiting for certain attacks. I think that requiring a ton of ingredients and having the player constantly shoot them in would've been way more fun.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

About to head off into Ford's final mind level, and while I know I'll be able to come back later after the faux-point of no return, I just want to check if there's an Otto-Matic in the next area of the game first.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Nerdietalk posted:

About to head off into Ford's final mind level, and while I know I'll be able to come back later after the faux-point of no return, I just want to check if there's an Otto-Matic in the next area of the game first.

yes, you will never totally lose access to those.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nerdietalk posted:

You will still have access to the shop and the brain tumbler, but no access to previous areas until the credits roll and you enter the post-game

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just beat the game and was ecstatic the whole time, especially loved the ending and the twists that led there. I cannot wait to interact with everybody after the fact and find out all the little details I missed.

gently caress Nick Johnsmith :mad:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's too bad, really, because I think that fight could be improved like 10x if only all (or just more than one) of the ingredients for the round could pop out of the same vomit so the fight isn't so drat long.

Yeah, that fight was as ridiculous as the rest of the level, which I loved, but I didn't love the fact that it just drags on and on and on. It also basically felt like a retread of the Luctopus fight but more tedious.

The rest of the level had me cracking up the entire time though. I was definitely not expecting whatever that was.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Massive bit of foreshadowing that I haven't heard anyone else talking about : the two NPCs in the tower at the end of the asylum bit of Loboto's level. Found them while scouring the level for one last figment. Found them basically as soon as getting access to the tumbler, so it's not like they're added in the post-game.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Pro-tip for Levitate

In the PC version (maybe console as well?) you can set levitate to auto-activate on a third jump in the menu. It's an accessibility option but I can't imagine playing the game without it.

Here's a screenshot I like from the PSI-Master level:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heads up for those looking to get the achievement for talking to Millia in her Office and the Panic Attack real form: those are missable and you'll need to do a new game to get them.

Millia is only in her office between missions 1 and 2 and only the miniboss battles during the story for Psi King are capable of doing the split into multiple attacks. Good news is accessibility options don't turn off achievements so set everything to easy and you can blitz both back in like, an hour or two.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cloks posted:

Pro-tip for Levitate

In the PC version (maybe console as well?) you can set levitate to auto-activate on a third jump in the menu. It's an accessibility option but I can't imagine playing the game without it.

then i would have to get off the ball and lose both the most broken and best QoL power, lol

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

imweasel09 posted:

The reason to swap out levitate is that if you enable floating as a triple jump and the other levitate option in the controls you can do almost everything you need it to without actually having it equipped.

That should have been the default way to levitate, it makes the 4 powers limit much more bearable.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

CoolCab posted:

then i would have to get off the ball and lose both the most broken and best QoL power, lol

There's another option for pull down, makes the rolling on the ball into quadruple jump.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CoolCab posted:

you can also set levitate to pull down into the ball

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

So you'd have to jump into every ball? Gross! I will take my obnoxious power management, thank you very much

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
could help explain why levitate doesn't feel like it was playtested, if the easier accessability option maybe doesn't allow some of the bullshit? you really need forward momentum from a slope or something to REALLY get the bullshit going. can you midair cancel a ball into a balloon?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just spend thirty minutes combing the first world for a single missed figment and i do not relish the prospect of doing this for the others

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

CoolCab posted:

could help explain why levitate doesn't feel like it was playtested, if the easier accessability option maybe doesn't allow some of the bullshit? you really need forward momentum from a slope or something to REALLY get the bullshit going. can you midair cancel a ball into a balloon?

It takes a few more presses, but yes. Levitation bullshit was never well tested in 1, why would it be in 2.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

just spend thirty minutes combing the first world for a single missed figment and i do not relish the prospect of doing this for the others

Does the order in the menu at least track with the order you would see them? I had one in Loboto's brain that was where the character it depicted was, around the time you would have seen them for the last time. It was those worker bee? things

Barudak
May 7, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

Does the order in the menu at least track with the order you would see them? I had one in Loboto's brain that was where the character it depicted was, around the time you would have seen them for the last time. It was those worker bee? things

Sooort of? It groups stuff together, but they may not sequentially be at that point in the level if that makes sense.

I still have no fuckin idea how the last one I was missing in Bob's Bottles is the one that was designed to be unmissable

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Unreal_One posted:

It takes a few more presses, but yes. Levitation bullshit was never well tested in 1, why would it be in 2.

They must have realized there was some kind of problem with Levitation because it's way weaker in 2. Which really speaks to just how bullshit it was in 1 given all the crap you can still do with it in 2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I do not think I ever used Dion's ability he teaches you because Levitation

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Barudak posted:

I do not think I ever used Dion's ability he teaches you because Levitation

you should, it makes the 2D sections faster, turn off fall damage if you do it close to the ground and you can combo it into a longer jump string. it's good.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CoolCab posted:

you should, it makes the 2D sections faster, turn off fall damage if you do it close to the ground and you can combo it into a longer jump string. it's good.

Psychonauts confirmed for Super Smash Bros, Dion taught us wavedashing

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirSamVimes posted:

levitate is the one button I have not unbound once in this entire game

levitate is a waste of space since you can just turn the option to triple jump to float and to jump again while floating to get onto the ball sorry to break this to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All figments found!!!