Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Google has a path for the hurricane that goes up towards Illinois and then turns and goes to the north east back to water. Do hurricanes actually go all the way through the continental us? Or do they like die out a few States in?

Not as a hurricane. Look at the legend - Hurricane, then Tropical Storm, Tropical Depression, than extratropical.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/211519.shtml?cone#contents

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Good Citizen posted:

if lived in New Orleans I’d invest in a really good roof

if i lived in new orleans i'd simply fly around in a magic plane with infinite fuel and fly over all hurricanes forever

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
hypercanes in our life time

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Google has a path for the hurricane that goes up towards Illinois and then turns and goes to the north east back to water. Do hurricanes actually go all the way through the continental us? Or do they like die out a few States in?
The winds and organization will die down dramatically. Some of the energy will remain, mostly in the form of the moisture.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

the moisture always keeps going but the wind stops pretty quickly

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

hypercanes in our life time

permacane like jupiter's eye sitting in the gulf just shittin out multiple hypercanes every 2 weeks to the coastlines

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It definitely looks like the storm is heading north now

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
dude keeps showing some picture of a big a big boat but i cant see poo poo.

bubbadove?

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

Holy poo poo is he just driving over downed power lines.

Eh the whole region is out, so it'll probably work out for him, until it doesn't

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

is it possible yet to list a house when a hurricane is predicted and have it gobbled up by some automated venture capital buying process before the storm makes landfall?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

SirPablo posted:

Not as a hurricane. Look at the legend - Hurricane, then Tropical Storm, Tropical Depression, than extratropical.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/211519.shtml?cone#contents

This actually shows it regaining Tropical Storm strength off the Canadian coast.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

silicone thrills posted:

dude keeps showing some picture of a big a big boat but i cant see poo poo.

bubbadove?

the wind is blowing so hard from the north that it’s pushing the water in the wetland BEHIND the water gate, the bubbadub, OUT towards the ocean

reminds me of a tsunami when the water at the shore pulls waaaaaaaay out to feed the big wave

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SirPablo posted:

This actually shows it regaining Tropical Storm strength off the Canadian coast.

god must hate Acadians.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

yellowD posted:

Eh the whole region is out, so it'll probably work out for him, until it doesn't

you'd probably be ok driving over even a live downed wire

probably

i wouldn't do it unless i was livestreaming for 40,000 people

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Dustcat posted:

you'd probably be ok driving over even a live downed wire

probably

I just know they tell you not to.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

rip reed's facebook stream

e: youtube now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNeylnSNw3c

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
oh i just want to repeat that the dude carrying water for a bunch of corrupt lazy politicians by gaslighting everyone into thinking that a hurricanes are so completely unpredictable and unknown that preparation for anything is impossible is a dumb moron

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

deadwing posted:

it’s live on YouTube again.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Does New Orleans still exist?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Raccooon posted:

surprisingly; yes

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Raccooon posted:

very much so

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/louisiana/neworleans/bourbonstreet/?cam=catsmeow2

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

TheMightyBoops posted:

I just know they tell you not to.

yes but they didn't know about livestreaming when they made the rules

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

is it possible yet to list a house when a hurricane is predicted and have it gobbled up by some automated venture capital buying process before the storm makes landfall?

Not quite the same but a buddy of mine sold their house in San Antonio to some house flippers two weeks before the ice storm and whoops the pipes exploded and hosed a lot up so lol at them.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

deadwing posted:

e: youtube now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNeylnSNw3c

eye penetration :wiggle:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lol reed's gonna die for real

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/hurricane-ida-updates-08-29-21/h_9b4de8eba6b5f1d95dd15a871cb258f0

quote:

Mississippi River flow reversing due to hurricane "extremely uncommon," USGS says

Storm surge and strong winds stopped the flow of the Mississippi River on Sunday near New Orleans and actually caused the flow to reverse – something the United States Geological Survey said is “extremely uncommon.”

“I remember, offhand, that there was some flow reversal of the Mississippi River during Hurricane Katrina, but it is extremely uncommon,” Scott Perrien, a supervising hydrologist with the USGS Lower Mississippi Gulf Water Science Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, told CNN.
Perrien noted that the river level rose about 7 feet due to the storm surge pushing up the river at the USGS gauge, located in Belle Chasse, about 20 miles south of New Orleans in southeastern Louisiana.

“During that time, the flow of the river slowed from about 2 feet per second down to about half a foot per second in the other direction,” Perrien said.

Perrien pointed out that the gauge does not measure the flow of the entire river, so it is possible that the deeper portions of the river did not reverse flow directions.

“The river is feeling the effects of the storm over a large area,” Perrien said, “all the way up to Baton Rouge the river has risen 1.5 feet in the past 12 hours as the surge pushes up the river. And the water level will likely rise more in the coming hours here in Baton Rouge.”

I remember when I was a kid and I learned about the new madrid quake and that causing the ms river to reverse flow and just was astounded as a kid.

storm surge is fuckin wild man.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Wedge Regret
The surge cam fell over..

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh I guess I missed landfall because I heard it was hitting this evening, how'd things go

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I'm the shipping container chilling in the middle of the roadway.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

sounds like reed is being chased by angry bees

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/NOAA_HurrHunter/status/1432022115809587205

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Epic High Five posted:

Oh I guess I missed landfall because I heard it was hitting this evening, how'd things go

it's going bad

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

Dustcat posted:

sounds like reed is being chased by angry bees
don't worry his golden singing voice is keeping them at bay

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

w t f

is this a real thing?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

they go through but as just rain storm. the best ones are the ones that bounce off the coast then loops around and hit the coast again like doing a skate trick

I think last year we had one go up through the heartland and then just hang out for a bit as tropical storm in the great lakes

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

its okay, the usa has had almost two decades to prepare the area for another horrible storm

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

apatheticman posted:

:ohdear: what happened to that single brave ratchet strap

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a fatguy baldspot posted:

just heard the emergency generators in the Thibodaux hospital are down. gently caress man I have friends with fam on oxygen in there

oh gently caress :(

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

apatheticman posted:

hah fuckin idiot camera lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
so is New Orleans mostly alright then? It seems like the worst of it is going to miss them? Obviously still a lot of damage but not Katrina level devastation