Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I would recommend looking at previous BC Enduro race loops and taking a day to see how you feel doing the whole thing. The closest one was in Abbotsford at Vedder, here's the link for the 2019 race. Note the 1600m (5250ft) of climbing. This is ~20% of the height of Everest.

I did the one in Vernon, it was raining and I actually had to walk two sections which was embarrassing, I hadn't pre-ridden the course and didn't have the confidence to hit two of the blink rock chutes in the wet. It was a little like that slab chute at Whistler on upper joyride.

Yeah that's a good idea. I definately need to work up to it. I did a vedder lap a couple of weeks back but again only around ~600m. Looking at that course I pretty much did the first climb and then descended so a bit under half of the climb in that course. Need to find the time to do some longer pedal days and work up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mashed_penguin posted:

Yeah that's a good idea. I definately need to work up to it. I did a vedder lap a couple of weeks back but again only around ~600m. Looking at that course I pretty much did the first climb and then descended so a bit under half of the climb in that course. Need to find the time to do some longer pedal days and work up to it.

Let me know if you ever want to do some downhill training, shuttles of Seymour or whatever. I'm also down for normal rides but I don't think I'm where I need to be to come along with you on the Vedder climbs.

Actually I'll PM you my number, I'm in new west. Other vangoons feel free to PM me and we can get something going.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

So far I have not been murdered by goons from the internet so this seems like a great idea.

I do plan to get a better more shuttleworthy bike rack pretty soon. I have an old school horizontal carry one which works fine for a couple of bikes but I really want to get a North Shore or another vertical carry style. They just look so much easier to use.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mashed_penguin posted:

So far I have not been murdered by goons from the internet so this seems like a great idea.

I do plan to get a better more shuttleworthy bike rack pretty soon. I have an old school horizontal carry one which works fine for a couple of bikes but I really want to get a North Shore or another vertical carry style. They just look so much easier to use.

Yeah I have the same kinda horizontal one, I can't justify spending the $1k on a north shore rack and I wouldn't want to cheap out and get a 2 bike version because that kinda defeats the purpose.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

The nice thing about the NSR one is it still folds up when you want to leave it on the vehicle but not use it. Shuttlerack in chilliwack makes a really nice rack for ~$1000 also but it doesn't fold and its gigantic on the back of your vehicle.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
I swear there is no feeling like when you're trying a trail for the first time and you realize just how little you actually know and how poor your fitness actually is.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The classic conundrum of am I getting better at riding mtb, or getting better at riding this one trail.

Riding new stuff is good and cool for this very reason.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I'd love to ride different park specifically.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

The classic conundrum of am I getting better at riding mtb, or getting better at riding this one trail.

Riding new stuff is good and cool for this very reason.

It can be both!

Riding some parts of my regular trails definitely gave me more confidence and tools to ride some "real" trails up in Tahoe that were quite a bit different than what I normally do, which in turn helped me when I got back try some other stuff around my usual routes
Still not a fan of roots and exposure combined though

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I'd love to ride different park specifically.

I've ridden like 3? parks outside my home one this season and it's been really fun. Great to realize that some of my skills are actually transferring.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Steak posted:

I swear there is no feeling like when you're trying a trail for the first time and you realize just how little you actually know and how poor your fitness actually is.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Figure it’s a long shot but I’m looking for a 12spd SRAM shifter/derailleur combo. I’d even do a trade for my slx/xt combo. I just prefer sram.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I have sram but prefer Shimano. Too bad my hub prefers sram. :v:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

I have sram but prefer Shimano. Too bad my hub prefers sram. :v:

Cassettes / chains are cross compatible.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

A 12 speed Shimano cassette will not fit as the hub driver is micro spline. Mine is XD. The Shimano 12 speed chains are different too so I have no idea what you're talking about.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

My reply made no sense.
Meant a to say that you can run shimano shifter/derailleur on a sram cassette and vice versa.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

n8r posted:

My reply made no sense.
Meant a to say that you can run shimano shifter/derailleur on a sram cassette and vice versa.

Actually makes me think, could you use a shimano hg+ cassette and chain and an axs derailleur? You would also need the front chainring to be hg+, right? I wouldn't mind that if you could still get the hg+ smoothness and the wireless actuation/cockpit

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I say this as a bad bike mechanic but I had enough trouble getting my eagle setup to shift right with just a slightly bigger front ring. Eventually had a shop set it up and now I'm afraid to touch it. I'd be pretty skeptical of mixing and matching even if some tuber shows it working. Seems like there's very little room for error (or wiggle room in adjustment for good shifting) in 12 speeds and a shifter with a slightly different pull ratio or whatever it's called wouldn't maker things easier.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

i flunked out posted:

Actually makes me think, could you use a shimano hg+ cassette and chain and an axs derailleur? You would also need the front chainring to be hg+, right? I wouldn't mind that if you could still get the hg+ smoothness and the wireless actuation/cockpit

Yes, you can.

In fact, I plan to do such a thing next time I build a bike.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

quote:

Ok, so, here’s the thing: On my 2020 Specialized Enduro, I’ve been able to achieve something very close to a best-of-both-worlds scenario. But there’s a catch. My XTR/AXS bike doesn’t shift better than a pure Shimano 12-speed mechanical drivetrain. It does not shift better than the SLX-equipped Ibis Ripmo I’m currently long-term testing. At best, I think what I’m getting is something that’s as good or something very close to as good. My Enduro shifts better than it would with a full SRAM drivetrain, but not better than a full Shimano one.

The long and the short of it is, this whole thing is not guaranteed and it costs a ton of extra money to achieve shifting quality that is not better than Shimano SLX.

Goes on to say that it’s worth it until Shimano releases wireless electronic shifting.

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/components/drivetrain/a-mismatch-made-in-heaven-xtr-axs/

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Finally made it out on dirt for the first time in, well, since the pandemic at least.

Not sure why though, was totally blissing out on the views. Need to do it more!

Condition was not horribly poo poo, but my technical skills will need some time to work out the rust.

Someone even thought to special deliver me steak at the parking lot!

9.22 km loop with 276 m of vertical gain, a nice way to judge my riding fitness for sure! And a bluebird day.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looks amazing! Beautiful ride.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
My company had a mental health day on Friday, so I spent the afternoon riding out to the local trail to see what I still had fitness-wise.
Not much, as it turns out. I was last on the MTB in April, I think :negative:

My plan was to work on leaning the bike over in turns and timing popping up the front going off of lips.
After the 30min ride in 90F to the trail, I was pretty sapped, and forgot that a lot of the trails are flat enough that you have to make your own speed.
Still, I managed to ride into a second wind after a while, partly from all the mosquitoes closing in on me each time I got bogged down in a climb, forcing me to go faster and try to have enough wind to push them from hanging out under my helmet on my forehead.

I downgraded from Minions to Dissector/Aggressor with Cushcore, and just wasn't confident about their grip in the last couple rides.
I didn't get a ton of practice with the low speeds I was carrying in most spots, but had a few good moments feeling the transition from on the edges of the center knobs to sitting on the side knobs. Definitely restored some confidence about these tires.
Was running 21psi in the rear (2.3", 205lbs), and felt the squishy insert a couple times over roots. That in itself would be ok, but I also thought it squirmed a bit too much in some turns. I suspect that there's one spot where the insert is off center -- you can see the tire kick to the side when you spin the wheel -- and maybe it's when I'm leaned over and that turned spot rolls over the ground?

I was pretty gassed and was inconsistent with getting the front wheel up enough over lips.
Once, I came up really fast on a big circular depression, and I did the same motion and accidentally pumped the gently caress out of that bowl. It was amazing.

Had like 4-5 mosquitoes buzzing all over me as I tried to take this pic in a really tame part:

The ferns were way lusher irl, I swear!

Including this GPS shot of me trying to navigate back home to characterize the trails:

A bunch of straightish segments that run into tight intersections, sometimes punctuated by very short steep climbs (which are fairly good as descents), sometimes covered in dense 3-4" tall roots.
The loop around the lake is a fire road in either pretty settled gravel or mulch, so would be fun if I were extremely fast and on an XC bike.

All in all, I was brutalized from being out of shape but still had exactly the fun I was expecting.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Colorado high country is in amazing shape right now. Air is clear and trails are surprisingly not that dusty. That air at 12,000' is still lacking oxygen though. Had another great group ride today on the CT after a day at Trestle yesterday. Legs are feeling it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

I downgraded from Minions to Dissector/Aggressor with Cushcore, and just wasn't confident about their grip in the last couple rides.
I didn't get a ton of practice with the low speeds I was carrying in most spots, but had a few good moments feeling the transition from on the edges of the center knobs to sitting on the side knobs. Definitely restored some confidence about these tires.
Was running 21psi in the rear (2.3", 205lbs), and felt the squishy insert a couple times over roots. That in itself would be ok, but I also thought it squirmed a bit too much in some turns. I suspect that there's one spot where the insert is off center -- you can see the tire kick to the side when you spin the wheel -- and maybe it's when I'm leaned over and that turned spot rolls over the ground?

I'm still rocking the OG High Rollers, but I have never had the confidence to lean them right over having washed out on them a few times. I have been seriously thinking about getting Minions. Normally I run about 30-35 PSI but today went 40 and it was a little jarring over the rocks and roots--got kicked sideways on a couple roots but my fault for not taking them at the right angle. OTOH used just about all my travel so it still seems to be set with the right sag.

quote:

[TELL] me about that fork

Sorry its so hot there. Not sorry it isn't here anymore. Its been a terrible summer with the heat and smoke

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Bilirubin posted:

I'm still rocking the OG High Rollers, but I have never had the confidence to lean them right over having washed out on them a few times. I have been seriously thinking about getting Minions. Normally I run about 30-35 PSI but today went 40

Wow, those are very high pressures. What weight are you? I'm not surprised you kept washing out if you've had that much air in the tyres. To be honest I was never a fan of high rollers, but they've got some pretty big side knobs so they should be giving you a fair amount of grip.

For the conditions here in the UK I'm rocking a super soft magic mary up front and a soft big betty at the back year round and I could not imagine running anything else, I really think they're the perfect tyres. For what it's worth I usually run 21 front and 23 rear and I'm ~175lbs and do some fairly aggressive riding without any inserts.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah I'm on DHF/Ardent 2.4s and I run 21/23

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

kimbo305 posted:

My company had a mental health day on Friday, so I spent the afternoon riding out to the local trail to see what I still had fitness-wise.

After the 30min ride in 90F to the trail, I was pretty sapped, and forgot that a lot of the trails are flat enough that you have to make your own speed.
Still, I managed to ride into a second wind after a while, partly from all the mosquitoes closing in on me

Thurs / Fri were such brutal days! Mosquito crop from Henri rain were/are probably at max hunger too.

Not sure you can blame anything on being out of shape considering the 100% humidity.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Aphex- posted:

Wow, those are very high pressures. What weight are you? I'm not surprised you kept washing out if you've had that much air in the tyres. To be honest I was never a fan of high rollers, but they've got some pretty big side knobs so they should be giving you a fair amount of grip.

For the conditions here in the UK I'm rocking a super soft magic mary up front and a soft big betty at the back year round and I could not imagine running anything else, I really think they're the perfect tyres. For what it's worth I usually run 21 front and 23 rear and I'm ~175lbs and do some fairly aggressive riding without any inserts.

Same weight here. Will try to back off the tire pressure next ride.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Try around 20 on the front and 25 on the back and then adjust from there.

i got a wtb vigilante on the front (it's basically a DHF) and a high roller 2 on the back. I think i murdered two rear tyres in the span of a week in wales so just went with the one with the toughest sidewalls which were available.

it was all on one route. loving cursed as poo poo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

goddamn that's quite the tear

I don't suppose that it matters that I still run tubes like a monster? And on a 13 year old bike at that

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Bilirubin posted:

goddamn that's quite the tear

I don't suppose that it matters that I still run tubes like a monster? And on a 13 year old bike at that

Ah, yeah don't go that low then, you'll probably get pinch flats.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

[TELL] me about that fork

You didn't get the message?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

40 PSI in mountain bike tires is too high for anybody who doesn't weigh 400lbs, regardless of what you're doing with the bike.

I always get a bit of FOMO when I read about people who can feel the shift onto the shoulder lugs of their tire. I've never really been able to say with confidence that I feel this and I even would say that I don't really feel a difference in cornering ability between different tires - I can tell when my tires are worn and the rear end starts to drift (most of my cornering is high speed bermed bike park stuff) and I can absolutely tell when my tires are a little overinflated for my preference (I prefer way too low) but that's about it.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Is there a good rule of thumb for tire pressures or is it all situational? Ever since I got my new bike I've just kept it at 30psi rear/25psi front with tubes. I dunno I never could tell a difference. Seems high compared to others but I weigh more, etc. I definitely could tell when I switched from lovely hybrid tires to maxxis ardents on my old bike but I could never notice anything with tire pressures with either bike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Wistful of Dollars posted:

You didn't get the message?

I trust they will after this --
it's a linkage fork that moves the axle in an arc, increasing/maintaining trail for the first ~75% of travel:

Unlike a regular fork where you're used to the steering becoming dartier as the head tube dives and angle steepens, you get noticeable increased stability when the fork initially compresses.
For me, it just uncomplicates negotiating rocks/bumps mid-corner, as the front end doesn't dart around as much.

The carbon upper arch is also incredibly stiff, so it feels a bit more immediate when sawing the front of the bike around on climbs.

I'm convinced if this weighed as little as modern XC forks did, that every World Tour rider would be on it. Alas, it is much much heavier than that.

e: when I'm first on the road riding out to the trail and I hit some bumps on a turn, I always prepare having to do a bit of correction to straighten the bike out, but right away, the Trust just sorts it out on its own without requiring any input. I absolutely get why the company said this is the extreme illustration of that behavior:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mQSndGJWro&t=1s

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 29, 2021

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
My buddy had a bachelor party this weekend and he said he wanted to do three things, and only three things:
1) eat well and drink good Scotch
2) shoot some guns
3) ride bikes

I got there Friday night and was immediately handed a delicious burger and a glass of Lagavulin 16. Then I was handed another glass, and another, and another... until 3am.

At 9:30 we woke up, groggy as anything, and began prepping to go to the bike park at Loon Mountain in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Half the guys there didn't ride and rented their bikes (Rocky Mountain Altitude A30s). I've ridden a few times with my dude on trails, and a lot on road, so he brought one of his bikes for me to use since I only own roadies for now. He also brought his Ibis Ripmo AF for himself.

Ragley Big Wig with a 150mm Suntour Auron, Deore, and TRP 4-pot brakes.

I was a bit hesitant about riding a hardtail at a park since both would be a first for me, but he assured me that I would have a good time. He said he built the Ragley to match the Ibis geo and that it would do well at a park that currently only has green and blue trails.

HE WAS RIGHT, IT loving RULED. I'M STILL PUMPED A WHOLE DAY LATER. It was already on there but getting a mountain bike just shot waaaaaaay up my list of Wants.

I woke up this morning sad that there was no more riding but when we arrived at the spot to do some shooting, there was a hike in. He wasn't willing to leave the bikes in the truck so we became pack mules for ammo and I was happy to hop on the Ragley again for a short while.

I'm not about to call myself great, but I was feeling very confident in the park after I went down the first time and was quickly going faster than my buddy and the other few who regularly rode mountain. Even hit a jump trail for the last run. I'd love to have the chance to get out and ride on my own and learn more. I already felt this way but A++ would definitely mountain bike again.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You shoulda taken the chance to do an impromptu bikeathalon! Lap of the trail blat some cans repeat until out of ammo/tired AF.

Just don't ride with the thing loaded.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
edit: nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

I trust they will after this --
it's a linkage fork that moves the axle in an arc, increasing/maintaining trail for the first ~75% of travel:

Unlike a regular fork where you're used to the steering becoming dartier as the head tube dives and angle steepens, you get noticeable increased stability when the fork initially compresses.
For me, it just uncomplicates negotiating rocks/bumps mid-corner, as the front end doesn't dart around as much.

The carbon upper arch is also incredibly stiff, so it feels a bit more immediate when sawing the front of the bike around on climbs.

I'm convinced if this weighed as little as modern XC forks did, that every World Tour rider would be on it. Alas, it is much much heavier than that.

e: when I'm first on the road riding out to the trail and I hit some bumps on a turn, I always prepare having to do a bit of correction to straighten the bike out, but right away, the Trust just sorts it out on its own without requiring any input. I absolutely get why the company said this is the extreme illustration of that behavior:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mQSndGJWro&t=1s

Whoa, never seen or heard of one of these. Very cool tech!