Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Playing a bit more of Demeo. I still can't beat stupid second level of the Sewers.

In any case, it will be a great game, maybe even the VR game of the year... once it's finished. Things I feel it needs:

-a third dungeon
-a pair of new classes
-ability to save games, mp included
-game difficulties
-'house rules', tweaks and mutators that can be applied by the players. Tweaks to baseline hp and damage for both players and monsters, spawn rates, tweaks to fov, max number of cards in hands, etc.
-stats at the end of the game. Kill counts, number of revives, damage amounts by type (I'm really curious to know how much damage it was done by poison in my last game, in between my poison cards, traps and bombs, it was constant green damage everywhere)
-an option to have the left hand with the cards always showing, maybe with the press of a button. My wrist hurts after doing a full rotation for so much time.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Went ahead and bought an Index since I have a little bit of savings right now, and since I basically only have a year left of Facebook-free Rift S. Don't know if it's even worth selling the Rift S since I only bought it last year and it's dropped in aftermarket value by $300. I guess some small amount of money is better than nothing, and it ain't gonna get any more valuable.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A friend and I bought Demeo and had fun for a couple rounds but.. there's really not much bringing us back to it. The lack of saves is a problem since we only usually have an hour or so to play so we end up having to start over every time because we've yet to beat the first dungeon. I'm not saying a game like this needs meta progression but it would definitely give me a reason to play the same level over and over again if I was getting incrementally better by gaining levels or getting new abilities between runs. Awesome concept and it's fun as hell to play but the content does feel pretty light still.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

King Vidiot posted:

Went ahead and bought an Index since I have a little bit of savings right now, and since I basically only have a year left of Facebook-free Rift S. Don't know if it's even worth selling the Rift S since I only bought it last year and it's dropped in aftermarket value by $300. I guess some small amount of money is better than nothing, and it ain't gonna get any more valuable.

Backup headset for when you have to RMA index poo poo during that last facebook free year or w/e

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm sure I won't be one of the handful of people who manage to gorilla grip their Index controllers and break them or accidentally throw one at their lightbox and break both, or whatever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’re gonna RMA that index just accept it and keep the Rift S for that time

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Does anyone have a trip report on Myst? I’m incredibly interested and will probably buy it eventually regardless(I own realMyst…) but some of the steam reviews are concerning regarding performance and stability.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, I might as well hold onto the Rift S :shrug:

I mean I can probably wait however long for replacements without jonesing for a VR fix but whatever.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Does anyone have a trip report on Myst? I’m incredibly interested and will probably buy it eventually regardless(I own realMyst…) but some of the steam reviews are concerning regarding performance and stability.

I have the quest version and while it's great, it's just Myst, just like you remember. Definitely a hoot to see it in VR but the environments are also kind of boring. If you loved myst it's worth it just to revisit the worlds, otherwise it's kind of showing its age without new art

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I finally received and tried out my DecaMove https://www.deca.net/decamove/

Jury's still out since it's acting flaky(*) but when it works I really like it. Having my locomotion based on my hip direction and 100% divorced from where my head is looking is sweet.

I'm susceptible to smooth locomotion in VR making giving me vertigo (I always teleport as a result) but this gets a clean bill of health so far, for me anyway.

(*) It sometimes misreports the battery level and will disconnect unpredictably, and the gesture detection for calibrating/zeroing doesn't seem to work anymore. It's a real shame because I like the results... when it actually works that is.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I have the quest version and while it's great, it's just Myst, just like you remember. Definitely a hoot to see it in VR but the environments are also kind of boring. If you loved myst it's worth it just to revisit the worlds, otherwise it's kind of showing its age without new art

That's a little disappointing to hear. The Steam page kept saying "reimagining" so I assumed it was more of an overhaul. Are items in the world interactable?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Eyes Have It posted:

I finally received and tried out my DecaMove https://www.deca.net/decamove/

Jury's still out since it's acting flaky(*) but when it works I really like it. Having my locomotion based on my hip direction and 100% divorced from where my head is looking is sweet.

I'm susceptible to smooth locomotion in VR making giving me vertigo (I always teleport as a result) but this gets a clean bill of health so far, for me anyway.

(*) It sometimes misreports the battery level and will disconnect unpredictably, and the gesture detection for calibrating/zeroing doesn't seem to work anymore. It's a real shame because I like the results... when it actually works that is.

What games have you enjoyed it with? I need to actually set mine up.

King Vidiot posted:

I'm sure I won't be one of the handful of people who manage to gorilla grip their Index controllers and break them or accidentally throw one at their lightbox and break both, or whatever.

My first 90 days or some poo poo I had to get a cable replaced. Failed at break away point. It had never been "yanked" or "bent" at that point.

My first week with 2.0 light houses I had to replace one. It was hanging on my wall. Its hooked up to a smart plug, just like the other dozen light houses I've had hanging up.

I could probably DM about 10 random people on discord with indexs right now and I'd be willing to put money on every single one having at least 1 thing RMAed.

The list of things I can 100% confirm being RMAed for. Actually people I know and already know the story from.

Cable - Break away side, and headset side.
Headset Cable Port
Headset due to the seals failing and dust getting inside the lens
Headset - Display failure
Controllers due to drift
Controllers due to stick popping off
Light house - Random failures, Power/laser array

Now will you have any of those issues? Maybe not. But with the really high % of cases in general with the kit a whole, i'd keep any backup headset you have unless you just don't mind not playing for however long the turn around is. But I've personally had a few of those and while I'm not the nicest to my gear, the poo poo that should break, isnt whats breaking. Its the weird one off things that actually don't get touched or messed with.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

EbolaIvory posted:

What games have you enjoyed it with? I need to actually set mine up.

So far just tried it with Arizona Sunshine, and Into the Radius. Set the game to be smooth locomotion/walking, and direction = head (not hand/controller) -- it's all in the setup doc but it basically supports many games even if they don't natively support the device.

e: In case it's not clear to everyone what it does: you can walk forward by pressing up on a joystick, and physically turn as needed to go where you want (instead of direction being set by head or controller orientation.) Meanwhile, you can look around all you like -- including look to the side and shoot -- without it affecting your movement direction/gait/etc.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 28, 2021

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

That's a little disappointing to hear. The Steam page kept saying "reimagining" so I assumed it was more of an overhaul. Are items in the world interactable?

It looks great on PC, the quest version he's talking about still looks good, considering the hardware, but the PC version looks far better, just from increased textures alone. The good news is they did make the world more interactable than i expected, so you have to physically grab and pull levers, slide open draws, push buttons, pick up papers, random items to look at, and books, flip the pages, etc. However its still Myst, so the only stuff is the stuff that was there (well plus the Rime age or whatever they added), and its not a full physics engine so you can't pick up bottle and toss them across the room to smash them, just pick them up to look at them.

Still, its far more than I thought they would do as far as VR hands interactivity.

The only thing that really makes it minorly different is you can at least randomize the puzzle solutions, so you can't go off 30 year old memorized times for the clock tower and stuff.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So I keep hearing about this Mechwarrior 5 VR mod but while searching around I'm having trouble finding it, just some people talking about it 'nearing release'. Is it not actually out yet? Or if it is, even as a beta, is there a way to get it?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

items are interactable and there are some props from the og myst that you can now pick up and gently caress around with. I suspect that most people would get a good 2-5 hours of enjoyment out of VR myst if they have any nostalgia for the original. My sour grapes are that i just want god drat RIVEN to get remade. Myst is dogshit compared to Riven

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Haha holy poo poo I'm finally coming to Smoke and Thunder stuff for Pistol Whip and this is loving bananas, I love it so much

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

EbolaIvory posted:

My first 90 days or some poo poo I had to get a cable replaced. Failed at break away point. It had never been "yanked" or "bent" at that point.

My first week with 2.0 light houses I had to replace one. It was hanging on my wall. Its hooked up to a smart plug, just like the other dozen light houses I've had hanging up.

I could probably DM about 10 random people on discord with indexs right now and I'd be willing to put money on every single one having at least 1 thing RMAed.

The list of things I can 100% confirm being RMAed for. Actually people I know and already know the story from.

Cable - Break away side, and headset side.
Headset Cable Port
Headset due to the seals failing and dust getting inside the lens
Headset - Display failure
Controllers due to drift
Controllers due to stick popping off
Light house - Random failures, Power/laser array

Now will you have any of those issues? Maybe not. But with the really high % of cases in general with the kit a whole, i'd keep any backup headset you have unless you just don't mind not playing for however long the turn around is. But I've personally had a few of those and while I'm not the nicest to my gear, the poo poo that should break, isnt whats breaking. Its the weird one off things that actually don't get touched or messed with.

Feels good having a VR headset packed away collecting dust not because the novelty wore off but because I'm terrified of flushing $1000 down the drain by actually using it beyond the RMA window. My Index had so many controller, cable & lighthouse problems within the first few months and I probably only have roughly 100 - 150 hours of use on the thing, at least half of that just watching movies.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

items are interactable and there are some props from the og myst that you can now pick up and gently caress around with. I suspect that most people would get a good 2-5 hours of enjoyment out of VR myst if they have any nostalgia for the original. My sour grapes are that i just want god drat RIVEN to get remade. Myst is dogshit compared to Riven

Everything else you guys said sounds great! I’m buying this so that there may be a chance of Riven happening. It would end up being 5 times the work.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Any idea when Sam & Max hits Steam? I played the demo and had a great time but all I see is an indefinite "coming soon"

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

sarcastx posted:

Any idea when Sam & Max hits Steam? I played the demo and had a great time but all I see is an indefinite "coming soon"

Its on viveport right now. Infinity trail for 14 days free!

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Tom Guycot posted:

The only thing that really makes it minorly different is you can at least randomize the puzzle solutions, so you can't go off 30 year old memorized times for the clock tower and stuff.

I’m playing through in OG puzzle mode so I can’t speak to this first hand, but there’s several threads on Steam forums complaining that certain random puzzles don’t actually work. As in, you can correctly solve the puzzle but the game doesn’t accept it and you’re stuck forever (or until they patch it). So maybe hold off on randomized mode until a patch hits.

Other than that, I’m glad I refunded the Quest version and got this instead. Obviously graphics are much better but you also can stick a notes window up through SteamVR or Oculus and there’s already some nice QoL modding going on.

Special shout out to the guy who ran the original 90s FMVs through an upscaler and packaged them up to replace the terrible 3D models of dad and the kids.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm most of the way through Myst; it was never a particularly long game, and it goes by in a flash because playing it in VR feels so natural compared to the original cumbersome slideshow point-n-click. Navigation is vastly easier, too, since piecing together a mental map from still images took extra brainpower. VR Myst is less a great game - it's certainly way overpriced for the amount of time you're likely to get playing it, even completely blind - and more an excellent proof of concept, with well executed controls for the VR medium and puzzle game genre. It makes me want VR Riven so loving bad it's unreal.

My main complaint is that horizontal space is greatly compressed compared to the original, possibly for performance reasons. Everything is closer together, especially on the main island - which I'm pretty sure would entirely fit inside just the cabin & woods area on the original slideshow island. The original really tried to give a sense of a much larger space around the main paths you were exploring, but the remake just fits every landmark/destination in right next to each other. As a result the spaces feel much less expansive than the original. The main exception was Channelwood - the fog does restrict view distance compared to the original but it's verticality was not compressed at all and actually felt more impressive in VR.

I've also seen a few small technical glitches but nothing that really got in my way. They've been updating at a pretty mad pace to fix reported issues, too.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Chainclaw posted:

It's really frustrating that if I skip a few days in Beatsaber it pushes me back so much in what I can do. On the other hand, I've done one song so much that when I put on invisible notes, I hit about 600 of 670 of them.

I like a couple beers after work and the main thing Beat Saber is showing me is how my reflexes/reading of the notes improves day by day after not having a few.

Looks like I might quit drinking to Beat (my) Saber more effectively?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

1 month free of Viveport Infinity for Quest users

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was trying to play Phasmophobia while on Discord (I know, I know; my friends insisted and they have the ingame chat on mute) but Discord only seems to let me talk to them while Phasmophobia is suspended. Is there no way to make it active while I'm playing?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I think I've added H3VR Take and Hold as my default VR activity along with Beat Saber. It is a really satisfying feeling getting better at the mode and at reloading and using the arsenal of weapons.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Argue posted:

I was trying to play Phasmophobia while on Discord (I know, I know; my friends insisted and they have the ingame chat on mute) but Discord only seems to let me talk to them while Phasmophobia is suspended. Is there no way to make it active while I'm playing?

Do you also have your in-game chat on mute? That's the only thing I can think could be different from when I played with a friend, because it worked fine for us. I had my game voice chat on mute, too :shrug:

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
Were you using the desktop app or the web app? I know there are issues with the web app (especially push to talk) when the browser isn't the active window.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, I had the desktop app running. It worked fine whenever I was in the Rift menus, so I don't think it had to do with Windows. It's only when Phasmophobia was active that Discord cut out. I also made doubly sure that all the applications in Sounds were set to use Oculus Headset/Oculus Microphone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also I feel like I remember the oculus software grabbing the mic back in certain scenarios.

I’d make sure you’re on the desktop app and you have the oculus mic set as input and not “default” or whatever discord tries to use

E: well never mind then lol

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Argue posted:

Yeah, I had the desktop app running. It worked fine whenever I was in the Rift menus, so I don't think it had to do with Windows. It's only when Phasmophobia was active that Discord cut out. I also made doubly sure that all the applications in Sounds were set to use Oculus Headset/Oculus Microphone.

Sounds like the games taking exclusive control of the mic input.

Go uncheck the "allow apps to take exclusive control" thing in the properties.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So did I miss something with beatsaber custom songs? All the ranked songs I have and any new ones I download no longer show the PP values, which break filters, etc. Everything's up to date, it just seems weird.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Discord needs to have the correct microphone chosen in the voice and video settings, just for one more thing to check.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
It shouldn't come up here, but by default discord also doesn't transmit when you're focused on a program that has admin rights in windows unless it's also run as admin, worth checking that too.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Nocheez posted:

Discord needs to have the correct microphone chosen in the voice and video settings, just for one more thing to check.

this, and my seems to change occasionally for no reason

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Tom Guycot posted:

So I keep hearing about this Mechwarrior 5 VR mod but while searching around I'm having trouble finding it, just some people talking about it 'nearing release'. Is it not actually out yet? Or if it is, even as a beta, is there a way to get it?

It should be out pretty soon, I've been testing it and such with the dev who's making the mod. I'll send you a DM.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I noticed today an update for Black Hole Pool.Now you can play against AI in easy/medium/hard, there is a laser pointing to help you see where the cue will touch the ball, and alternative way to rotate around the white ball. However it seems he is trying to limit the big tv/youtube feature, I cannot type with a virtual keyboard anymore.

Having difficulty settings was an obvious missing feature that has been solved, but I think the game still has a few more. I would like to have a replay feature, to see the last shot in slowmo, I would like a basic score indicator, and new game modes (there are a few rules variations for pool beyond 8-ball).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 30, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

LOL someone has made a petanque simulator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9uk6k5jPyg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Finished Alyx last night. Was grinning like an idiot through most of that ending sequence. I still don’t think vr is The Future of Games or anything though, and I really hope the next half life game is a mouse and keyboard affair.

One of the last few lines of dialogue made me legit lol and i think it was intentional but it was really out of place feeling.