Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

thetoughestbean posted:

So how has Historic been after a bunch of Modern cards got added? The videos/streams I’ve watched made it look like it it’s pretty much just mono-white with the occasional infinite combo now

this is pretty far from the experience I have had, which is that U/R decks make up enough of the field that I am able to metagame against them and stay in the top 100 of the ladder. obviously, ymmv and the format is still definitely shaking out.

There is a tournament going on right now that I think will crystallize some diverse archetypes that will get refined over the next week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

thetoughestbean posted:

So how has Historic been after a bunch of Modern cards got added? The videos/streams I’ve watched made it look like it it’s pretty much just mono-white with the occasional infinite combo now

Control is still king, and right now it looks like Archmage's charm might actually make those decks stronger. Obviously early though.

Time posted:

this is pretty far from the experience I have had, which is that U/R decks make up enough of the field that I am able to metagame against them and stay in the top 100 of the ladder. obviously, ymmv and the format is still definitely shaking out.

Curious as to what your metagaming list is.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Crackbone posted:

Control is still king, and right now it looks like Archmage's charm might actually make those decks stronger. Obviously early though.

Curious as to what your metagaming list is.

u/w weenie based on the esper sentinel/thalia/mage/pvddr/mana tithe axis they barely keeps them off balance enough to slide in for lethal. i stole a humans list from a goon but then decided I was mainly getting value out of the white base and went from there.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How do you tell if a card that lets you cast a card ignore timing restrictions or not? Urza and Dauthi Voidwalker for examples that don’t I think.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

fadam posted:

How do you tell if a card that lets you cast a card ignore timing restrictions or not? Urza and Dauthi Voidwalker for examples that don’t I think.

If the spell or ability is directly causing you to play the card, it ignores timing restrictions. If the spell or ability gives you the ability to play a card but doesn't instruct you to play it as part of its resolution, like in the examples you gave, you still have to obey timing restrictions.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

im not sure if there is a definitive example but i think it comes down to if the ability itself is casting the card or if you the player is casting it. since abilities (without restriction callouts) can be done whenever they can cast sorceries at instant speed. tbf, i can only think of like, madness where this comes up ever

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gotcha, thanks guys.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
One day they’ll print creatures worth a drat into historic

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Koirhor posted:

One day they’ll print creatures worth a drat into historic

lol what is serra's emissary?

e: i guess that's a combo target but still

e2: uro is banned

e3: so is winota right? it's not like they haven't printed good creatures, its that removal can't catch up to the good creatures printed either.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sit on my Jace posted:

If the spell or ability is directly causing you to play the card, it ignores timing restrictions. If the spell or ability gives you the ability to play a card but doesn't instruct you to play it as part of its resolution, like in the examples you gave, you still have to obey timing restrictions.

How does that track with the "Exile the top two cards of your library. You may play them." room in Dungeon of the Mad Mage? At least on Arena, it definitely lets you ignore timing restrictions and play creatures mid-combat or whenever else you get a venture trigger.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sit on my Jace posted:

This is wrong.

If a card says "blah blah blah exile a card. You may play it", you play it right then or never. This is Urza, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, etc.

If a card says "blah blah blah exile a card. You may play it [for a specific period of time, or during a certain condition]", you have to respect timing rules. This is Dauthi Voidwalker, Light up the Stage, etc.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Toshimo posted:

If a card says "blah blah blah exile a card. You may play it", you play it right then or never. This is Urza, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, etc.
Urza says you exile it and then you may play it until end of turn.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Time posted:

u/w weenie based on the esper sentinel/thalia/mage/pvddr/mana tithe axis they barely keeps them off balance enough to slide in for lethal. i stole a humans list from a goon but then decided I was mainly getting value out of the white base and went from there.

what's your list? i agree with you wrt the red i had in there but kudro has been really good for me, i think hes way better than playing like benalish marshal or sth as a top end, both his abilities are extremely relevant esp in the big dumb green creatures matchup

e: also kitesail out of the board but mana tithe probably has the same effect

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

i modified it to this and so far so good, i do think there's enough value out of playing black but wondering what your thoughts are. another card im considering is silverquill silencer for a bit of extra value, but idk if the deck beats down hard enough to make paying 3 life and drawing a card to board wipe or wincon or whatever dangerous enough for the opponent. might try it over aspirant or sth.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Toshimo posted:

This is wrong.

Someone tried to get me with this by copying Bar the Gate with Wizards Spellbook in limited. There was some angry hovering when they never got a chance to counter my spell next turn.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

i modified it to this and so far so good, i do think there's enough value out of playing black but wondering what your thoughts are. another card im considering is silverquill silencer for a bit of extra value, but idk if the deck beats down hard enough to make paying 3 life and drawing a card to board wipe or wincon or whatever dangerous enough for the opponent. might try it over aspirant or sth.

here's my ww homebrew:

The one-ofs are searchable by the ranger captain and each have their uses.

The sideboard is still very whatever.

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 30, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is there a better feeling than spell piercing a T2 Tibalt's Trickery on the draw? I defy anyone to name one.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

mcmagic posted:

Is there a better feeling than spell piercing a T2 Tibalt's Trickery on the draw? I defy anyone to name one.

T3 Mizzix's Mastery into Magma Opus comes pretty close.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

mcmagic posted:

I normally have mcmagic on ignore (for baseball reasons), but since someone quoted this:

Resolving a TT on the next turn and getting a concession. To play Trickery is to accept the fact that sometimes you get got, but if you know the deck, it's less often than one might think.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
With live play potentially returning to my area soon I'm interested in getting somewhat serious about playing competitively (at least at the shop level, I have no aspirations of "going pro" or anything like that at 40 years old). I primarily play on Arena, but my preference has always been Bo1 since I really don't understand sideboarding or what cards to take out etc. Are there any good resources out there for "Best of 3 and sideboarding for dummies"? I'm not really sure what kind of deck I even want to play since I will probably have buy the whole thing from scratch.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SalTheBard posted:

With live play potentially returning to my area soon I'm interested in getting somewhat serious about playing competitively (at least at the shop level, I have no aspirations of "going pro" or anything like that at 40 years old). I primarily play on Arena, but my preference has always been Bo1 since I really don't understand sideboarding or what cards to take out etc. Are there any good resources out there for "Best of 3 and sideboarding for dummies"? I'm not really sure what kind of deck I even want to play since I will probably have buy the whole thing from scratch.

The basics are "take out cards bad against your opponent's deck and put in ones that are good", here's an article by PVDDR that has more detail

https://articles.starcitygames.com/premium/theres-more-to-sideboarding-than-you-think/

It's hard to get more detailed than that because you'll want different things depending on what deck you're playing, or playing against.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

What Lone Goat said. "Take out the bad cards and put in the good ones" seems reductive of course but--that's how it works. Do you have creature removal in your deck? Take them out if facing control and replace them with Duresses or Agonizing Remorses, as an example. Be sure to keep your curve in mind--when subbing out cards, make sure the ones you board in don't make your curve lovely. You're trying to tweak your deck while keeping all the things that make your deck work.

As far as what to put in a sideboard, start with cards that are strong against particular decks, and tweak the SB based on your play experience. If you have no clue what to even start with, check some lists online--find a deck like yours and see what's in the sideboard. FWIW building (good) sideboards is more challenging than building your 60 imo and a lot of netdecks honestly have kinda crappy sideboards, but if you're lost they're as good a place to start as any.

Bo1 has the time and convenience factor and I myself usually keep at least 1 bo1 deck on Arena around just to jam quick games but playing the traditional magic way is really rewarding, building and utilizing sideboards introduces this other axis to the game that is really fun to play. When you get better at it you can play mind games with your opponent, like subbing out cards you know/assume they're going to be boarding in hate for, meaning they subbed in dead cards against you.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/660959944480342016/maros-midnight-hunt-teaser

Maro's teaser for Innistrad Midnight Hunt:

quote:

• three popular mechanics previously seen on Innistrad return

• a new drawback for creature tokens that lets us create them cheaper

• a white card that could potentially draw you a card each turn

• a popular Innistrad card gets reprinted

• a curse that transforms into a creature

• two permanents that can double something every turn

• a mythic cycle with “you may pay [COST] any number of times”

• a four mana blue aura with “You control enchanted creature.”

• A popular tournament card in multiple formats gets reprinted with its fifth piece of art.

• a character from Innistrad once mentioned in a short story finally gets a card in an Innistrad set

Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:

• “If your life total would be reduced to 0 or less,”

• “This spell costs 1 less to cast for each creature you attacked with this turn.”

• “As [CARDNAME] enters the battlefield, note your life total.”

• “put a slime counter on up to one other target creature.”

• “Creature tokens you control lose all abilities and have base power and toughness 3/3.”

• “Each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard has”

• “Instants and sorcery spells you cast cost X less to cast, where X is [CARDNAME]’s power.”

• “put that many +1/+1 counters on [CARDNAME], then create twice that many 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens”

• “At the beginning of your end step, if you have exactly 13 life,”

• “You may cast any number of the copies without paying their mana costs.”

Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:

• Creature – Hippogriff Spirit

• Creature – Human Soldier Werewolf

• Creature – Dragon Egg

• Creature – Leech Horror

• Creature – Fungus Horror

• Creature – Plant Horror

• Creature – Drake Horror

• Creature – Demon Dog

• Legendary Creature - Ooze

• Legendary Creature – Vampire Noble

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

quote:

Creature – Hippogriff Spirit
Misread this as Phelddagrif Spirit and got real excited for a sec.

So what do we think the three returning mechanics are? We already saw Flashback, and DFC/transform is highly likely, what's the third one?

Madness? Investigate? Meld??? Does Curse count a mechanic? SKULK??????? (lmao no he said popular) Morbid? The one that's like Persist but +1/+1 whose name I forget Undying?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
madness feels like an easy pick, since everyone likes it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rickiep00h posted:

I normally have mcmagic on ignore (for baseball reasons), but since someone quoted this:

Resolving a TT on the next turn and getting a concession. To play Trickery is to accept the fact that sometimes you get got, but if you know the deck, it's less often than one might think.

Not surprising that someone with bad opinions on baseball also has bad opinions on what decks to play in MTG.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Emerge and Escalate are possibilities as well.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/storm-scale-innistrad-and-shadows-over-innistrad-2017-03-27

Very Popular - DFC's, flashback, Soulbond

Popular - Emerge, Escalate, Madness, Investigate, Undying

Liked - Delirium, Miracle, curses, Morbid,

Unpopular - Meld, skulk, Fateful hour

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I'd like to see them try Soulbound again in a set that isn't dogshit

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

• A popular tournament card in multiple formats gets reprinted with its fifth piece of art.

This one seems solvable.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fadam posted:

This one seems solvable.

i think it's already been pinned down as faithless looting

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Seems like Miracle would be unlikely to come back as a mechanic, just because of balance issues. I wouldn't mind if it did though.

Undying would be cool, DFC is basically guaranteed, probably Curses too since this is the Wolfman set.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

i think it's already been pinned down as faithless looting

Oh hell yes.

quote:

• a new drawback for creature tokens that lets us create them cheaper

I wonder how "new" he means here. We've seen a ton of drawbacks on a lot of token creators.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I'm not looking forward to seeing what Faithless Looting does to Historic

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

Not surprising that someone with bad opinions on baseball also has bad opinions on what decks to play in MTG.

Let no posting grudge go unanswered, the world might end.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Froghammer posted:

it's already in historic, it was a mystical archive

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

And the answer is it feels amazing to cast and awful to see resolved against you.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Froghammer posted:

it's already in historic and while it is a very strong enabler it hasn't broken anything yet

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

flatluigi posted:

it's already in historic, it was a mystical archive
Greeeeeeeeeeat. Coolcoolcoolcool. It's not a problematic design in high-powered formats at all. Wonderful.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lone Goat posted:

Misread this as Phelddagrif Spirit and got real excited for a sec.

So what do we think the three returning mechanics are? We already saw Flashback, and DFC/transform is highly likely, what's the third one?

Madness? Investigate? Meld??? Does Curse count a mechanic? SKULK??????? (lmao no he said popular) Morbid? The one that's like Persist but +1/+1 whose name I forget Undying?

I think it's flashback, investigate and transform. Two of them seem like gimmies and investigate is my wildcard that feels like it's inline with the current treasure obsession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

fadam posted:

I wonder how "new" he means here. We've seen a ton of drawbacks on a lot of token creators.

Alpha Hive templating, except opponent may choose to eat the token when it leaves play.

quote:

Creates one Giant Wasp, a 1/1 flying creature. Represent Wasps with edible tokens, making sure to indicate when each Wasp is tapped. Wasps can't attack during the turn created. Treat Wasps like artifact creatures in every way, except that they are removed from the game entirely if they ever leave play. If the Hive is destroyed, the Wasps must still be killed individually. When a Wasp is removed from the game, choose an opponent. That opponent may eat the token that represented the Wasp.