Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Len posted:

We had two succulents on a shelf. I noticed this morning that we now have one succulent and one pot that previously held a succulent.

No idea where the other is :iiam:

Our cats love to eat succulents.

We no longer have succulents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Len posted:

We had two succulents on a shelf. I noticed this morning that we now have one succulent and one pot that previously held a succulent.

No idea where the other is :iiam:

Invasion of the cactus snatchers.

VelociBacon posted:

The vet put it on but there was a very new/green vet assistant helping, I'm wondering if she hosed up. Its definitely on the fur...

http://imgur.com/a/iskfuWT

Sorry phone posting but that's a photo.

Once it gets dry you can brush it with a flea comb, lice comb, or other fine toothed comb to help blend it in. That will brush off any wasted on the fur without disturbing what is on the skin.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm a little worried about Latte's eating. WE've been doing wet food twice at a day (8 AM, 8 PM) and a small bowl of dry food always out for her to graze. She seems really excited when we get out the wet food, but then she only eats a few bites and leaves the rest, which we end up having to throw away. She does snack on the dry food a bit here and there, but not enough that I think it would ruin her appetite for wet food. WE've tried multiple brands, room temp, cold, and microwaved.

Is it possible she just has a really small appetite? Should we just ditch the wet food and let her self-regulate on dry food?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dantheman650 posted:

I'm a little worried about Latte's eating. WE've been doing wet food twice at a day (8 AM, 8 PM) and a small bowl of dry food always out for her to graze. She seems really excited when we get out the wet food, but then she only eats a few bites and leaves the rest, which we end up having to throw away. She does snack on the dry food a bit here and there, but not enough that I think it would ruin her appetite for wet food. WE've tried multiple brands, room temp, cold, and microwaved.

Is it possible she just has a really small appetite? Should we just ditch the wet food and let her self-regulate on dry food?

We've got a cat like that - she goes nuts for her wet food treat and will camp out for hours waiting for it. Then when she gets it she takes two bites and saunters off. One of the other cats is more than willing to finish it for her.

Your cat is being a cat. As long as her weight is steady, she's getting enough food from one place or another.

My advice would be to put out only as much wet food as she'll eat. If she finishes it and wants more, give it to her. Otherwise, you don't really have a problem and everything's fine.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I now have a very undersocialized kitten, in addition to Katya. He was rescued from the same yard Katya was and looks like he's a little younger. I've had him since yesterday and he lets me pet him and hold him without a lot of fuss but he also hasn't really left the litter box on his own yet. I'm not sure what I'm doing so any advice would be appreciated! Katya was pretty friendly and playful when I got him and this new buddy isn't.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

dantheman650 posted:

Is it hot/hotter than usual where you are? I noticed that my shy guy doesn’t have a big appetite when it’s hotter out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Allowing cats to graze is generally not recommended. I'm not in the "that's how they eat in the wild so it's the only option!!" camp, but dry food is more calorie dense and allowing a cat access to it whenever they want is a great recipe for a lazy fat cat. Wet food is lower calorie and better on their kidneys long term so the smart move is to do whatever you can to make sure most of their eating comes from it. Leaving kibble out all day is just gonna keep them full and then they'll treat the wet food like nothing special.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I now have a very undersocialized kitten, in addition to Katya. He was rescued from the same yard Katya was and looks like he's a little younger. I've had him since yesterday and he lets me pet him and hold him without a lot of fuss but he also hasn't really left the litter box on his own yet. I'm not sure what I'm doing so any advice would be appreciated! Katya was pretty friendly and playful when I got him and this new buddy isn't.

I don't have any personal experience with distrustful kittens, but I can recommend the Kitten Lady on youtube for advice dealing with any kind of kitten:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gD4y99kBv0

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Allowing cats to graze is generally not recommended. I'm not in the "that's how they eat in the wild so it's the only option!!" camp, but dry food is more calorie dense and allowing a cat access to it whenever they want is a great recipe for a lazy fat cat. Wet food is lower calorie and better on their kidneys long term so the smart move is to do whatever you can to make sure most of their eating comes from it. Leaving kibble out all day is just gonna keep them full and then they'll treat the wet food like nothing special.

I leave a big feeder of cereal out and just fill it when it gets low. Never used wet food really at all until my current cat who gets a 3oz can in the morning. She definitely treats the wet food special. She’s relentless as I do my morning routine until she gets it. With free feeding you don’t have to worry about being gone or time of day or anything either. I could disappear for 2 weeks and she would be fine if not for the litter box.

Also I think it’s cruel to not let them feed themselves. They know themselves, they know when they are hungry, they know when they just want a snack, you don’t. Small animals need to eat more often than larger ones.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

allowing a cat access to it whenever they want is a great recipe for a lazy fat cat.

Don’t speak to me or my lazy, fat son ever again.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

drunken officeparty posted:

I leave a big feeder of cereal out and just fill it when it gets low. Never used wet food really at all until my current cat who gets a 3oz can in the morning. She definitely treats the wet food special. She’s relentless as I do my morning routine until she gets it. With free feeding you don’t have to worry about being gone or time of day or anything either. I could disappear for 2 weeks and she would be fine if not for the litter box.

Also I think it’s cruel to not let them feed themselves. They know themselves, they know when they are hungry, they know when they just want a snack, you don’t. Small animals need to eat more often than larger ones.

Yeah, no. It’d be cruel to let my cats feed themselves because they’d become terribly obese and their health would sharply decline. What works for you works for you but not for me.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

I free feed Ty, but I also have a certain amount of food he gets each day, because he's on a diet. But the advantage to kibble is that its just there for him to eat whenever he wants. As long as you're giving your kitty the right amount of food, free feeding isn't an issue.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Thanks for the food advice. I’ll consider the various points brought up!

Another good question. We got some Applaws food which says it’s a “complementary food” and it’s meant to be served with other “complete” foods. It’s just a few ingredients (catfish, tuna, fish broth, rice). What exactly does this mean? What’s the difference between a complete and a complementary food, and how is this meant to be used?

Latte devoured it at any rate. (We bought a few different kinds of food to sample)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dantheman650 posted:

Thanks for the food advice. I’ll consider the various points brought up!

Another good question. We got some Applaws food which says it’s a “complementary food” and it’s meant to be served with other “complete” foods. It’s just a few ingredients (catfish, tuna, fish broth, rice). What exactly does this mean? What’s the difference between a complete and a complementary food, and how is this meant to be used?

Latte devoured it at any rate. (We bought a few different kinds of food to sample)

"Complete" foods have sufficient nutrition for a cat to live a long, healthy life eating only it.

"Complementary" foods are lacking in some necessary nutrients and should not be used as exclusive food. They're treats, in other words.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So the new cat is adapting pretty well. And resident cat is pretty tolerant of him now, in fact they don't mind each other at all. Other than this crazy rear end tussling they like to do. Should I be worried about this being a form of fighting or is it just play? They don't seem to ever have any injuries or anything, but jeez they roughhouse pretty hard. Like, a full on Bill Goldberg spear into the floor is a common maneuver for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzT74hiRFvo

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That's playing! Fighting involves more yowling and fur flying and potential injuries.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

That's playing! Fighting involves more yowling and fur flying and potential injuries.

My cat does this to me (my arms)! That is, she slaps them without claws, kicks and bites them very gently. I kind of like it sometimes, but I always feel a bit bad because the thread says not to let them play with hands. Very occasionally I do get a little scratch from it, but not anything that bleeds.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

Well, she likes to hiss a bit and yowl when they do it, and even flatten her ears sometimes, which kind of made me wonder. But like I said, they get along fine and are happy to be around each other other than the wrestling, so maybe that's just how she is when she play fights. If she was serious I doubt she's flop down on the ground and expose her belly like that though which she does a lot.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Well, she likes to hiss a bit and yowl when they do it, and even flatten her ears sometimes, which kind of made me wonder. But like I said, they get along fine and are happy to be around each other other than the wrestling, so maybe that's just how she is when she play fights. If she was serious I doubt she's flop down on the ground and expose her belly like that though which she does a lot.

Exposing the belly is submissive in dogs, but in cats it just means they're bringing all four little knife hands into position to attack. Cats' bellies are relatively well protected by an extra skin pouch. That's one source of misunderstandings between cats and dog people.

That said, showing the belly also isn't a sign of extreme aggression or anything, if the cats otherwise like each other and aren't getting injured it's probably just play.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I may be making this up but it feels like cats often get into routines where one gets on its back and the other tries attacking from above. It's just kinda... one of the ways cat games work I think. Almost like when people practice wrestling moves.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Martman posted:

I may be making this up but it feels like cats often get into routines where one gets on its back and the other tries attacking from above. It's just kinda... one of the ways cat games work I think. Almost like when people practice wrestling moves.

Play cat games; win cat prizes?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ya my cat n roommates cat have a similar routine, it's harmless practice/play but i do call at mine if it seems like She's getting too riled up

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Martman posted:

Yeah this is definitely a thing, with my cats it's always one rolling on her back and goading the other into pouncing on her.

This backfires sometimes when she's sleepy and rolls on her back to stretch a bit while half-asleep and the other cat goes OH HEY WRESTLE TIME

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
IME if it's mostly quiet it's just playtime, if it was a full-on fight they would be screaming at each other

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah like if you've ever heard cats yowling in the night, that's what cats sound like when they're about to have a real fight.

Having said that, bullying is still possible which doesn't sound as loud as fighting, but in your video both cats are clearly into it so it's probably fine.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah my cat used to be an outside cat, and that's what prompted me to get the second one, so she'd have a pal and not be so bored being stuck inside. I guess shes just releasing some pent up energy. And he's just a high energy rear end in a top hat all around so of course he's down to play like crazy. And now I know why my coworker didn't want him moving with him into his new trailer, I imagine he could flat out destroy a manufactured home in an hour flat.

Also each cat as spots they can go to get away. He can get up on the fridge and bookcase(she's a non climber and doesn't get on things) and she has spots under the desk and stuff he's too large to fit in. That said, when I separate them they are both pretty insistent I reunite them so they can get back to it. So I think you guys are right and it's just how they have fun.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 30, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Our cats' wrestling is hilarious. Of the two one is clearly the bigger, dominant cat but the little one always starts the wrestling matches. I assume it's some kind of test to make sure the dominant cat can still hang. So they wrestle and kick for a little bit, then the bigger cat gets too aggressive and overdoes it, causing our smaller kitty to cry out, disengage, then sulk on her tower.

It plays out the same way every time but she keeps trying.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
My cats wrestle/chase each other around a lot, but about once a month they have a real screaming throw-down fight when Snowflake's berserker-mode gets triggered. It's not cool.

I've started putting Feliway diffusers around the apartment to help curb it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

If they are really fighting you'll find scabs on their faces and chunks missing out of their ears. If there are no injuries they are just playing.

Cats fighting (or romancing) sounds more like demonic screams. Here's a couple cats seriously considering having a fight if that other rear end in a top hat doesn't back down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEvvRfuVk30

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 30, 2021

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Our current kitten-guest named Juniper, who recently fled Lake Tahoe with her humans to a place that isn't currently on fire.

She's really adorable and sweet, and has taken to hanging out in my room especially, for some reason. She's getting along really well with the other 4 cats here, too - Jackie's been tolerant of her, Murfy hasn't tried to kill her, and she's actually *made friends* with Mini-Scratcher, and they've been playing like crazy. For instance, a paper bag just zoomed into my room and out again :3:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Here's a couple cats seriously considering having a fight if that other rear end in a top hat doesn't back down.

Yup, that's what my guys sound like. I worry about them getting into it when I'm not home to break it up. Seems to happen about once a month. My theory is that Ethics starts to wonder why he's not the boss-cat, so he picks a fight with Snowflake. Then it takes about a month to forget how badly he got clobbered. Rinse and repeat.

Most of the time they peacefully coexist, with some fun scampering around and generally ignoring each other. There's sometimes some hissing when Snowflake decides he wants a perch Ethics is occupying--it always ends with Ethics surrendering with a few grumbles.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Dominance fights are unavoidable, really. All cat homes have a hierarchy and it's set between them in the only way they know, which is very physical. It is likely that they're aware of the costs of not de-escalating and most displays are just that which don't lead to anything. Still, it's reasonable to be worried because you only need for them to not back down once to result in possible injury, though I'm not sure there's much you can do besides Feliway and being vigilant.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My new kitten is the first I've had who notices the moving things on the screen even if they aren't videos. Like, she notices the animations when I'm playing video games, and she wants to POUNCE. Furthermore, she wants to stand on the keyboard even when I am playing with her, rather than just when I am paying attention to the wrong thing.

I need to train her that cats do not get to walk on the keyboard. Right now, I am picking her up, solemnly saying "No!" and moving her off the keyboard. This has no effect. I realize that training positive behavior is better than punishing unwanted behavior, but I don't know how to do that with a behavior you want to stop. Suggestions?

e: Also, if you have cats who are good at breaking ornaments/pushing them on the floor, earthquake wax is your friend.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Well, much better news about Jackie from the other, more professional and qualified vet we took her too. She seemed to feel that her kidney issues were not bad or severe at all for a cat about to turn 15, and that we should definitely be able to manage it with her diet and making sure she drinks plenty of water (which she does already). She also didn't think Jackie needed dental surgery at all, and was discouraged at hearing about the other vet recommending expensive (and somewhat dangerous) dental procedures.

All in all she was very impressed with Jackie's health/appearance/temperament, and it went quite well. I certainly feel much better about things! I've had Jackie for over 11 years now, and we've been friends since back in 2006 when she was a kitten and we both still lived at home, and I used to purposely kick the other two cats we had at the time out of the TV room so Jackie, who was too shy and scared to leave the safety of under-the-couch when the other cats were around, would come up and cuddle with me. I was also the lap she sat on in the car on the way back from adopting her. Sometimes I wonder whether cats remember stuff like that? Jackie certainly treats me with affection and patience that I've almost seen any other cat show another human, so who knows!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Help, my stupid cat has developed a habit of lovingly licking any wooly fabric she can get her little paws on. I think she's trying to groom herself and getting tricked by the fabric having a similar texture, and smell once she lays on it. The problem is that her little tongue hooks pull threads from the fabric and totally destroy it. Can anything be done about that?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I need to train her that cats do not get to walk on the keyboard.

HahahaHAHahahaHAAhaha...

If you solve that puzzle you could be a very wealthy person.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

pidan posted:

Help, my stupid cat has developed a habit of lovingly licking any wooly fabric she can get her little paws on. I think she's trying to groom herself and getting tricked by the fabric having a similar texture, and smell once she lays on it. The problem is that her little tongue hooks pull threads from the fabric and totally destroy it. Can anything be done about that?
Unless you're willing to dip all the qualifying fabrics in bitter apple or something, you're likely stuck putting it away when she's around and finding a substitute cloth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My cats avoid keyboards, never taught them or scolded them for it they just decided it was better to walk around. One of them loving loves youtube as well. Guess it's good to be lucky!

https://i.imgur.com/8AcZQbD.mp4

Laptops are another matter, they like the warmth so will happily plop on top of the keyboard.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

pidan posted:

Cats are very fond of the lanolin oils in wool. Some find it irresistible! I have a few sweaters I can't wear around Kirk or he goes nuts. Wool toys are a favorite, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

Cats are very fond of the lanolin oils in wool. Some find it irresistible! I have a few sweaters I can't wear around Kirk or he goes nuts. Wool toys are a favorite, though...
Ohhhh, maybe that's why my cat is oddly obsessed with one of her toy mice. It's got a wool-type material on it, but is otherwise totally unremarkable and I couldn't figure out why she goes nuts for it.