Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

no one said shtola/runar????

No one should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That's unfair. I've heard worse crack ships.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Pounded in the rear end by the Spell That Felled Ancient Allag.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

no one said shtola/runar????

make it happen

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
they should've made it so you can /headpat ryne in the eden shiva fight to stun her

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cephas posted:

they should've made it so you can /headpat ryne in the eden shiva fight to stun her

too abusive for the WoL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

5.0 done so here is the requisite pic, though my character was just wearing exarchic fresh off the market board,

and the lighting turned her hair pink.

As for my thoughts, I still have the patches to do, but so far Shadowbringers has felt the most like a true Final Fantasy game to me. It gave me the same feelings I got so many years ago when I first played FF2 aka FF4 on the SNES and ran into all those wonderful characters with the great music and the most cinematic and thorough ending I'd ever seen in an age of drop-to-DOS or splash page at best style endings. It might have hit harder had I not been spoiled so much but I'll take that on the chin for taking so long to getting around to playing, as well as not shying away from youtube channels like Alex Moukala's. I even read a few untagged context-less spoilers in the various blizzard threads that were obvious at the point I was at in the MSQ. But that's okay it was still damned awesome, and great to experience it in person with my own character. There were still a ton of surprises and cool moments.

I'm looking forward to the rest, and the plus side to waiting this long to play is that its only a few months to Endwalker.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Me: And that is Exdeath done. Man, that was a neat battle! Now to maybe take a break, maybe run a few leveling dun...

Loot List: Exdeath Minion.

Me: *Requeuing into Deltascape 4.0* gently caress.

Also LOL at the Miner quest that goes "Okay, Carbonized Matter isn't used anymore, but we are still making you mine it because gently caress You"

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

So a bajillion years ago in this thread or one of the others, someone mentioned that someone else dressed their adventurer squadron as the cast of FF9, and provided a blurry screenshot collage that you couldn't tell any details of. So I said, I can do that too, but I can also handpick recruits that kinda maybe vaguely look like the characters already, because you can't design them like you can retainers.

Four months of fighting RNG (Extreme) and trying to get the right people from the right challenge logs every week, and I'm finally finished. I'm proud of some of these more than others, and the Zidane costume comes with subscription so it doesn't count, but I'm finished.

https://twitter.com/ZutatenSA/status/1432163369306394634?s=19

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Zutaten posted:

So a bajillion years ago in this thread or one of the others, someone mentioned that someone else dressed their adventurer squadron as the cast of FF9, and provided a blurry screenshot collage that you couldn't tell any details of. So I said, I can do that too, but I can also handpick recruits that kinda maybe vaguely look like the characters already, because you can't design them like you can retainers.

Four months of fighting RNG (Extreme) and trying to get the right people from the right challenge logs every week, and I'm finally finished. I'm proud of some of these more than others, and the Zidane costume comes with subscription so it doesn't count, but I'm finished.

That's pretty amazing!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

wizardofloneliness posted:

I'm extremely confused how anyone could think that the game wants you to think Ran'jit is "cool" as opposed to a "huge pile of poo poo". Superficially cool, sure, but he is not presented as sympathetic or reasonable or basically anything approaching good at any point in the game. He has a single line that gives him a little bit of nuance, but that's about about it. I'm all about different interpretations, but this thread really manages to produce some takes that just leave me sitting there wondering what the gently caress.

Unless they did actually mean that he's just a cool looking dude. But that's a good thing, so I don't know why anyone would complain about that.

I might be stretching a bit here, but I think he was cool because he's one of the characters in the game that is a closer reflection to how people act in reality than you usually see in the game. Frequently the villains are either insane psychopaths, or nuanced characters with complex motivations and internal strife, or people who were broken one way or another and failed their saving throw against becoming a bastard. Ran'jit is that guy we all know - wrong on every count, and no amount of logic or appealing to what's right will move them a single inch; in fact, the more you prove them wrong, the harder they dig in their heels. It's good to have a character like that from time to time, a guy who's just a stubborn prick who doesn't give a poo poo about anything but his own narrow views. So to me he's a cool inclusion, although still a pain in the rear end bastard.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Zutaten posted:

Yo this is sweet. I don’t have lofty goals like this, but I do find myself caring who all is in my squadron, even if they don’t have the slightest hint of actual personalities.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My squadron is a bunch of people not interesting enough to remember also a rogue named Careless Whisper.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Squadron are the poker buds of the WoL's menagerie

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I may have gone out of my way to get all five female Roegadyns for mine. Now slowly working on getting some specific squad members for the other three.

My initial goal was just to replace the three default members everyone has, and then it got complicated.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
With a squadron, it is possible to almost AFK an Aurum Vale run.

The only things you need to do are select an enemy to attack, and eating a fruit for the first and final boss.

Coincounter you can completely AFK by just standing behind a rock so Glower won't hit you.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Zutaten posted:

This loving rules.

also how the gently caress do you get a moogle in there, that also loving rules

My squad currently consists of five Xaela and three Sea Wolves, so they're a miniature marauding horde plus a few pirates. Sadly I can't seem to ever get any Raen members. If I could I'd cycle out the Sea Wolves so I'd have an entire Malaguld clan squad.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Mazed posted:

also how the gently caress do you get a moogle in there, that also loving rules

Parked the moogle minion next to her and used the gpose visibility options to turn my player character off! :eng101:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Zutaten posted:

Parked the moogle minion next to her and used the gpose visibility options to turn my player character off! :eng101:

you clever bastard

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACOhU7oNhg

boz
Oct 16, 2005

I died at the ending

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
ended the night right before we take doma castle and holy poo poo i am fuckin ready. to. go!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcsYWWyn-rQ

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hahaha isn't this the truth

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Finally hit 50 for the first time after buying this game in 2015! :toot:

Also got a neat set of ilevel 90 armor for finishing the class questline for ARR, which owns

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Instead of working on actually being decent at RDM (tried Paradigm's Breach and wasn't able to break 10k DPS) I worked on getting the relic.

I didn't look at it beforehand but apparently it's just a very hot toothpick. :v:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kazy posted:

Instead of working on actually being decent at RDM (tried Paradigm's Breach and wasn't able to break 10k DPS) I worked on getting the relic.

I didn't look at it beforehand but apparently it's just a very hot toothpick. :v:

Hey Relic will help boost your DPS if didn't already have an Exarchic or Cryptlurker weapon.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Wonder how many days I should request off for EW launch. Think 5 days total including the early access weekend should be enough?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

gonna need another 3 for mental recovery

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Omega Spoilers: I can't believe that Biggs and Wedge are loving dead.

Also is it possible to get Inn room items in the apartment, like the summoning bell, armoire, the Unending Journey journal, etc?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 30, 2021

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Unlucky7 posted:

Omega Spoilers: I can't believe that Biggs and Wedge are loving dead.

Also is it possible to get Inn room items in the apartment, like the summoning bell, armoire, the Unending Journey journal, etc?

Everything except the glamour dresser, yes.

https://en.ff14housing.com/itemview.php?id=78f78d18b17 summoning bell
https://en.ff14housing.com/itemview.php?id=48b68a5c217 armoire
https://en.ff14housing.com/itemview.php?id=2b96571e05d unending journey
https://en.ff14housing.com/itemview.php?id=708324ed3b7 crystal bell (for Jandelaine)
https://en.ff14housing.com/itemview.php?id=fb89cfa5683 toy box
https://en.ff14housing.com/itemview.php?id=17eab1e9998 small orchestrion
https://en.ff14housing.com/itemview.php?id=4ff89097d46 large orchestrion

You can also place down NPC merchants/menders

edit: expanded offerings

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 30, 2021

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Started leveling WHM and my brain decided that tank anxiety was old hat, and healer anxiety was the new kid on the block!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Tekopo posted:

Started leveling WHM and my brain decided that tank anxiety was old hat, and healer anxiety was the new kid on the block!

Just remember: The only important HP is the last one.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Tekopo posted:

If you win the fight, you did your job. Sometimes people die for a minute, that's fine, all according to plan.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tekopo posted:

nobody told me both dps could be SAM and also unaware of mechanics

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Early healer anxiety is normal.

In no time at all you'll be letting the melee die on purpose and casting Rescue on cooldown on the BLM out of spite.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! I think the biggest issue so far is that there are certain cut-off points where I get new tools and some of the dungeons expect me to have them, but I don't yet. For example, not getting Cure II until 30, but doing a Haukke with only Cure I really stressed me out.

Healer mom is gonna do her best to make sure the kids live through the dungeon:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
People were doing newbie journals, and it seemed interesting, after live posting a bit, so I had thoughts to collect from discord. I went ahead and wrote down what I think so far.

To be clear, this covers Heavensward Quests A series of unfortunate events (Level 50) to Quest To Siege or Not To Siege (Level 51)

After finishing the Level 50 Mage Quest, I was firmly in camp “I hate these stupid quests, please all of you shut up and never bother me again.” I was extremely pleased when I learned that these seeming children would not be bothering me for at least another 2 levels. After getting my Benediction spell, it was back off to Ishgard and then I realized that I wasn’t checking my map, and then teleported to the rear end end of nowhere.

I would be annoyed at how bothersome Emmanellain is, but the game keeps winning me over. I am a very simple woman, and constantly being told I’m a powerful icon that makes everyone around me’s day a little brighter does a lot for putting up with an annoying rich boy who should never ever have been sent to the front lines of anything. Though the game agrees and in a way that I don’t feel immediately annoyed at this idea. It’s like, “Yes, we all know he shouldn’t be here, let’s please just keep him from swallowing his own tongue long enough for him to decide to go home.”

Except the whole time I’m there people are like “Wow Aloy, you’re so clever and smart. Go tell those people how awesome they are. Being complimented by you will make their day.” And it’s like “Dawww game ok.” The annoyance just kind of dissipates. Get /psych ‘d I guess.

Another thing that helps is the eternal bro Haurchefant. Who is precious and I love. He seems down to support me at any turn and immediately recognizes me as an S-Tier level bad rear end. Never seems to send me on stupid fetch quests, and just loves to hang out. The more screen time he gets, the more I like him.

I’m a returner, so it had been about a year since I last played the story, and even though I’ve been playing for the last month - month and a half, I had been taking a WHM from 1 to 50. Returning to the game the thing I had forgotten was just how overwhelmingly British everyone is. The accents are thick and heavy, and I’m not going to lie. I love it.

Emmanellain got kidnapped, because of course he does. I stopped watching him for 5 seconds. It was inevitable. I’m just grateful Ishgard doesn’t have light bulb or power sockets, or else we’d have to remove his fork and knife privileges. I was kind of meh on the whole rescue thing to be honest, but it was massively improved by the fact that I can pull half the map, pop regen and slam holy. Speed running my way through was pretty cool I save Emmanellain and then I see it.

The white Whale, I’m so excited I hope I fight this Primal, I hope Cid makes me a pirate hat, a peg leg, and a cannon and there’s a whole raid that is just Herman Melville quotes, because it is the goofiest thing in the best way. The game treats it totally seriously, and they’re probably right too, but it’s a giant whale lmao. I have yet to do a raid or boss fight I haven’t enjoyed, so I’m just trying to imagine how you kill it and it’s making me extremely happy. I hope its song is like Good King Mog levels of goofy.

God, the music of this game, of every area, of every moment is insanely good, the sound design blows me away, and I will be surprised if I don’t list a favorite track every post.

I get back and Tataru / Alphinaud have been captured, and I was legit kind of worried, because SQUARE ALREADY killed MY FAVORITE CHARACTER ONCE! And Tataru seems just ancillary enough to be in the crosshairs. Then I heard about Ishgard’s trial by combat and kind of just laughed and started mashing through text a bit. I think my favorite part of that whole sequence is when they do the Final Fantasy battle swoop in (God that rules and it’s not over used so every time it happens it feels kind of epic,) and the eternal bro Haurchefant coaching me on how to be properly dramatic “Don’t just walk in! Wait until they allow Tartaru to call a champion.”

And with proper coaching, I show up like the cool hero I am. I just love it so much more that the game is like “Whoa hold up, you got here in a reasonable amount of time, but this is when you’ll be the most badass.” Which is kind of why I love Haurchefant. Dude just looks out for you all the time. I get the cool dramatic moment, while also having it be narratively consistent that I would show up on time for my friend’s trial.

Everyone cheers because I kick rear end and then the pope wants to yell at me, or at least that’s what I was assuming at the time, because that’s what any other game would do. They’d have you go to the pope and the pope would be like “Oh you suck, oh you little gobshite, oh you motherfucker.”

On my way to be scolded, I had gotten kind of lost (I generally don’t use the aethernets because there’s just people walking around doing cool poo poo) and I saw these people

What the gently caress, is there no Ishgard homeless shelter? I’ve seen where Emmanellain lives. Give these people somewhere to stay so I’m not walking past children dying of hypothermia.

Christ.

Though she did remind me to put on my warm clothes, I wouldn’t want to get frostbite!

perfect.

Pope tells me he’s double crossing the Ascians, and also apologizes to me for letting me go to trial after saving their desolate little rock pile they call a city. Proper reverence shown, I get even higher on my horses and move on.

I get to 52 at this point. I groan, get my blood lilies and tell everyone to gently caress off until they have more spells for me.

OH NO Rahdban has been captured!

I do a little questing, and I start theorizing in Discord “I’m being set up, right? There’s no way this isn’t a set up, or they’d have killed him already.”

The game, for a brief moment, remembers Yugiri exists! Which is always fun because I kind of like her. Except she shows up to tell me that she accomplished nothing, has done little to nothing, and then one of her disciples actually does something. Poor Yugiri, someone on the development team really wanted to make sure she’d never see the light of day.

I get inside and uh…

I actually remember to turn off my color blind filter for this one.

Who are these hanging chains for? No-one will fit in there. They’re too big. I started to get the feeling this wasn’t a real prison and instead someone’s “play” dungeon. And I was kind of right, then I get to hear an absolute banger of a line:

“You are the victims of harsh economic conditions,”

Like that just speaks to me, it rules. I love it, it instantly characterizes that guy. He knows exactly what he’s doing, how he’s doing it, why he’s doing it, and he can show all of that with less than 10 words.

Ilberd is not a smart man by any means and decides to try to fight me, after I had already killed like dragons, gods, and I didn’t really understand what was happening during the MSQ cut-scene but I’m pretty sure I made friends with a rock that can nuke a city.

I get really sad at Ilberd because it’s pretty clear he’s trying, but he has no options and doesn’t want to have his people be ignored anymore. I can totally understand where an accelerationist is coming from, but Rahban is the homie, so Ilberd must be defeated.

Everyone is happy. We return with love and life and hope in our veins, happy smiles all around. Then I find one of the dumbest looking hats WITH THE BEST GLASSES :( in the game.

Want those glasses.

Finding out that Nanamo isn’t dead made me have hopes that a CERTAIN OTHER NICE LADY wasn’t dead, but I wasn’t holding out hope. Still, it seems like a huge thing to walk back, which is kind of lame.

Skipping ahead a bit, I am extremely jealous of Alphinaud, and am plotting his murder, because Tartaru made him special clothes and no-one in the game has made me special clothes. I’m the warrior of light, someone make me a cute outfit. That said, guild members of The Spoiler Free guild have made me a ton of special clothes. And given me a poo poo ton of gil. And just boughten me whole glam outfits off the market.

Third Party Tools Rules is what I’m saying.

Oh also the dragons are attacking and the pope is evil. Ok I guess.

And… That’s it! This ended up really long I’m so sorry Q_Q I have so many thoughts and Feelings about this game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If this thread just became 'Newbie shares their first reactions to the story' I wouldn't mind, at all.

For a specific point, you don't remember how British this game was in ARR because it wasn't British at all in ARR. They switched dubbing companies in between ARR and HW. The ARR one was American, the HW and onwards one is British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hellioning posted:

For a specific point, you don't remember how British this game was in ARR because it wasn't British at all in ARR. They switched dubbing companies in between ARR and HW. The ARR one was American, the HW and onwards one is British.

Except for Gideon Emery who can fake being American like Hugh Laurie (eg, Vanquish)