Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I think some of the trails in my city are paved. I'm not familiar with this terminology, but I assume single track and double track are trails designed to accommodate a single bicyclist and two bicyclists moving in opposite directions respectively? I've got no clue about fire road. I'm going to apply some common sense there and check the paths beforehand to make sure they're appropriate in my judgment for a trailer before making any trek with my kid, I'd figure a path designed to accommodate opposing traffic is probably acceptable?

Keeping in mind I come at this question from a MTB perspective and live in the west, so what I am about to describe might not apply to your situation. A single track trail only permits travel of one bike at a time, and is frequently only as wide as tires or a bit more. When riders come at each other going in different directions one will move off the trail (normally the one heading downhill) to allow passage. They are either modestly improved by hand to old game trails that have been ridden on to obsessively maintained pathways with hand build ramps and other stunt structures. They are not flat, and expect roots, rocks, etc. (terrain dependent, not knowing where you live). Not suited to kid carts.

A double track allows two bikes to travel side by side. Also unimproved, frequently old off road vehicle "roads" or braided pedestrian trails.

A fire road is a graded but mostly unattended road blazed into the back country to permit rapid deployment of fire fighting equipment. Logging roads, for access to timber, also qualify here. These will be flatter and smoother (but can be washed out) and at lower grades (i.e. not as "steep") as single tracks.

To clarify the appropriateness of the trail to your cart, figure out the wheel base of the cart and apply it to the path. Observe any obstacles to easy rolling. Post pictures if you wish.

Frankly, being newly back to biking I'd stick to pavement for now while you get your legs and riding sense back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

I'll post pictures and his going prices when I'm at my home desktop later, they're low resolution sent to me by the guy himself is why I think they may not be helpful for identifying defects if that's what people are talking about.

Son has autism and doesn't like things on his head, his mom has a kid trailer and I don't think she makes him wear a helmet when he rides in it so I don't think he will be used to the idea. If there's not a specific recommendation that it's safe for kids to ride in a trailer without a helmet then he'll just have to wear one or I won't be willing to assume that risk for him.

Yeh my 19 year old has severe autism and I’ve been there done that.

My advice is to get him a helmet in a really cool design or colour you know he likes and just have it there, unmentioned, next to yours in the house. Let him see you wearing your helmet and see if he decides to pick it up try it on on his own in his own time.

My lad always takes a long long time to process things, sometimes things click (usually after a sleep), sometimes they don’t and you just got to shrug, go that’s ok, and abandon plan.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Bilirubin posted:

A cyclepath that's paved no problem. A gravel road probably. But when I think of trails, I think of things I absolutely would not take a kid cart onto. Define what you mean by trail: single track? Double track? Fire road?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I laughed a little too hard at this

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Have they invented an urban cycling route app or website that won't send me on expressways or past freeway offramps? I'm moving soon and scoping out routes

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think my son would be keen on wearing a helmet and I'm not certain I could get him to wear one, but I'm guessing the recommendation is for kids to wear one?
1) let THEM choose the helmet, and make sure it's actually comfy.
2) emphasize the cool over the safety
3) when given a choice of helmet+trailer and ride somewhere cool or no helmet and walk forever most kids will make the reasonable choice.

Son has autism and doesn't like things on his head
lol there's a piece of info you might have wanted to volunteer earlier eh?
Emphasizing the fun aspect and expanded possibilities are still what i'd try, but tbh with our first kid I plonked a car seat onto my cargo bike and they rode helmetless until they outgrew the seat.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 25, 2021

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Google Maps bicycle layer? It's pretty good about distinguishing protected from unprotected paths, not sure about freeway ramp intersections.

Also scanning a route quickly with Street View can provide some context the overhead map doesnt.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Google Maps cycling directions are pretty bad around me in the city, and seem to just be getting worse not better. It's way too eager to put you on busy arterials or send you down a weird road just to shave off a tenth of a mile when there's a better greenway or path/park option.

The Strava route builder seems to be better at least in popular areas. Looking at the global heat map is also useful for scoping out unfamiliar areas. Street view is useful for basic sanity checking.

Cycling directions in our current patchwork of infrastructure is a hard problem, and it's also subjective based on each individual's fitness, tolerance for hills and traffic, willingness to trade comfort/chillness for time/distance, etc. Even between my wife and I, both regular cyclists, we have different opinions about the best routes to take for getting places around the city.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 26, 2021

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
The Cycle.Travel website seems to have some fans as far as route planning goes. It uses OpenStreetMap data and what sounds like a proprietary routing engine.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
https://imgur.com/a/c5iqZcS
These are the photos the guy sent me, asking prices next to each image

Going to take a look at them either tomorrow or Monday depending on how things work out

E: As far as a helmet for myself, any recommendations on what to get or not to get? I'll probably end up test riding tomorrow and it only just occurred to me that I don't have a helmet for myself. I figure Walmart might not be a great idea, but maybe one of the sports/outdoors places would have decent things?

V Awwwwwwww V

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 26, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Going to take a look at them either tomorrow or Monday depending on how things work out

These bikes are pieces of poo poo and priced fairly. Buy one, ride the gently caress out of it, and by the time it wears out you'll have a better idea of what you want out of a bike.

Don't buy the 2nd one or the 6th one, as they are exceptionally bad, but not priced exceptionally lower.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d buy the Fuji. It looks the coolest. That’s my entire basis.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Yeah that or whichever one fits best, but probably the coolest one.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

The head angle on that one weirded me out, it looks way too race-like for this use.

E: the Motiv or whatever it is looks like a fun and durable piece of crap.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Keep in mind that when goons in this thread say "piece of poo poo" they mean it's a bike you can happily ride and beat on for a year or two, and after that experience* you'll be in an excellent position to make informed decisions about what YOU want in a bike. Lots of goons here are rocking 3 or more bikes worth thousands of dollars each. There's nothing inherently wrong with a rebuilt, old, cheap bike that's been recently maintained.

*Bikes are awesome so your experience will be awesome.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lots and lots of cyclists have a nice bike and a beater bike for the winter/parking where you wouldn’t want to be leaving an expensive bike.

Every single one of us would be far more mortified if old faithful got stolen.

Edit: here’s my park n ride tram bike, if I had nuts to crush then it would be a nut crusher.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 26, 2021

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

BRouter is good for route planning. It uses OSM data and has a bunch of different routing options for type of riding you are doing. It's not quite as polished if you want it to stick to the popular routes because they don't have the use data that Strava/Garmin have, it'll give you weird turns sometimes. You can load the CyclOSM map in it too from the layers, it's much better at displaying bike infrastructure than base OSM, so you can easily see all the bike lanes, MUPs, etc. on the map. BRouter also has a ton of optional layer toggles to display other OSM data, like water points, toilets, etc if you want to plan any of those on your route.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SimonSays posted:

The head angle on that one weirded me out, it looks way too race-like for this use.

E: the Motiv or whatever it is looks like a fun and durable piece of crap.

It says CX on the TT so it’s probably a bit of a twitchy frame. I can’t make out the other letters though.

E: Del Rey CX. Maybe it’s the pic angle but the HT/fork angle doesn’t look right if this picture is to be believed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 26, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Get the Fuji or the Giant Iguana as long as the seat and stem aren't fused into the frame/fork and ride the poo poo out of it. Either one will put a smile on your face.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
The other benefit of riding a poo poo heavy bike, aside from being able to lock it anywhere and not really worry about it, is that it'll build up your leg muscles. My commuter is basically indestructible and at times my only functioning bike and it's just an old mountain bike with road tires and fenders

Mauser fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 26, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

E: Del Rey CX. Maybe it’s the pic angle but the HT/fork angle doesn’t look right if this picture is to be believed.

Yeah, the fork blades do seem bent back a smidge, in the vein of a front wheel collision.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh ya if thats the case dont get that bike. Iguana it is if it fits.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Cool beans. I watched the video in the OP about what to look for in inspecting bikes, anything else to watch out for?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

marshalljim posted:

The Cycle.Travel website seems to have some fans as far as route planning goes. It uses OpenStreetMap data and what sounds like a proprietary routing engine.

This looks good thanks man.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Following up a post from a while ago. I'm looking for a bike.

Due to limited semi-local availability I've narrowed down my bike search to these models.

Giant Revolt Advanced 3 or 2

Cannondale Topstone 1 and Carbon 105

Specialized Diverge Comp E5

The main differences between them are frame compositions of either aluminum or carbon, groupset, and 1X or 2X drivetrains. Are there any big gotchas with any of these? Anyone here own one that can comment?

I've spent some time on 99spokes and there are lots of other options, but these are the ones that I have been able to ride and can buy locally. Canyon and Cube have great value bikes but I don't have any available to try out.

WTF are the images so big now? I can't find the smaller versions on Imgur.

E: Cannondale pics did not like being scaled.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 30, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ThirstyBuck posted:

WTF are the images so big now? I can't find the smaller versions on Imgur.

You can take an image with url i.imgur.com/aaaa.jpg and scale it to 1024 by adding an h:
i.imgur.com/aaaah.jpg

Could also do [timg] to thumbnail what you have.

It looks like some of these are speccing 46/30 2x cranks. IME, that big jump means it's jarring when you're not coming up to a sudden steep climb or diving into a steep descent. It's 50% change in gearing. Still, I'd probably still go for that (and upsize to 34 or something) over a 1x, for the kind of gravel I like to ride.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

You can take an image with url i.imgur.com/aaaa.jpg and scale it to 1024 by adding an h:
i.imgur.com/aaaah.jpg

Could also do [timg] to thumbnail what you have.

It looks like some of these are speccing 46/30 2x cranks. IME, that big jump means it's jarring when you're not coming up to a sudden steep climb or diving into a steep descent. It's 50% change in gearing. Still, I'd probably still go for that (and upsize to 34 or something) over a 1x, for the kind of gravel I like to ride.

Thanks for the info on the sizing.

I liked the simplicity of the 1X drivetrains that I tested but in reality there may be 90lbs of children in a trailer behind me so I think I will need all the gears. I went up a relatively steep hill across the street the other day with my wife's CX bike and was shamed into using granny gear to make it to the top with the kids behind me; they asked why we were going so slow.

That knocks out the Specialized.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 30, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you get either of the Giants you should be able to get a standard 46/36 CX double ring set. That's what I have on my gravel bike and it works well for me.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don't plan on getting one, but I was always curious what the point of a fixie bike was? They seem wholly inferior since you can change gears, and I feel like that'd make hills a pain in the rear end plain and simple. Was/Is it just a hipster fad? I only ever see the most cliché looking people riding them here in Paris.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

lightweight, minimal maintenance, builds your calves

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't plan on getting one, but I was always curious what the point of a fixie bike was? They seem wholly inferior since you can change gears, and I feel like that'd make hills a pain in the rear end plain and simple. Was/Is it just a hipster fad? I only ever see the most cliché looking people riding them here in Paris.

Just try riding one. It feels completely different. A singlespeed has the advantages AfricanBootyShine listed, and a fixie also feels like a much more direct engagement with the drivetrain. It's hard to describe, but you'll feel it if you ever ride one.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Why do they not have proper brakes? Is it a must-cut-all weight thing or is it forced by the drivetrain?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Fixies were mostly track bikes in the beginning, and you're not allowed to have brakes on the track. Not having brakes in actual traffic is just a toxic masculinity thing I think.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Was/Is it just a hipster fad? I only ever see the most cliché looking people riding them here in Paris.

They were originally just track bikes, but now, kind of yes. And specifically not being legally required to have a rear break on them is all about style points.

There’s something to the simplicity for short journeys if you live in a very flat city, but I know people with wrecked knees which they attribute to riding one longer distances / up hills.

I much prefer my old rear end mtb with a triple for getting back up the hill from my nearest brewery.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Virtually no maintenance, lightweight and awesome to ride. Especially the track frames with the steep geometry are perfect in city traffic.
It'll also teach you to pedal properly and in general improve your riding skills. It'll also make you realize that you don't need 33 gears.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I got a 3 geared hub bike that does all that and I can go weeeee down hills on it as well.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Good for you.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thank you all for the replies! Seems interesting. I think Paris is a touch too hilly for those to be great fun, unless you're zipping strictly along the river, and I definitely need the ability to carry large messenger bags for all my books and papers, but glad to know what purpose they serve. Hopefully I'll get to try one one day.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

cebrail posted:

Fixies were mostly track bikes in the beginning, and you're not allowed to have brakes on the track. Not having brakes in actual traffic is just a toxic masculinity thing I think.

The bike wants to go fast, it's steadier that way. I've never been hurt going all out. It's just the, the hesitation that'll kill you.

I hate brakes. Brakes are death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSID_eC4Eg0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You’re not wrong. Whether on a bike or a car I try to brake as little as possible. Deceleration is real and good and if you’re going so fast it doesn’t work then you’re going too fast.