Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Has anyone played Gothic 1 lately? The gog forums have some links to mods (well, fixes to get the game running on modern hardware) and I'm getting a hit from malwarebytes from the system pack. Since it modifies files that usually get picked up from anti-virus it may be a false positive but I'm not 100% sure so I'm curious if anyone played and used those mods safely. Really itching to play through the game (then Gothic 2) again but the drat thing won't launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Jimbot posted:

Has anyone played Gothic 1 lately? The gog forums have some links to mods (well, fixes to get the game running on modern hardware) and I'm getting a hit from malwarebytes from the system pack. Since it modifies files that usually get picked up from anti-virus it may be a false positive but I'm not 100% sure so I'm curious if anyone played and used those mods safely. Really itching to play through the game (then Gothic 2) again but the drat thing won't launch.

I played through the Steam version with the Gothic Steam Fix which includes the system pack a couple of years back without issues at least, it's a well-known mod and I very highly doubt it's anything but a false positive.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gothic 1 remake is due at some point if you can wait.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

GreenNight posted:

Life's too short, ain't nobody got time for that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kanfy posted:

I played through the Steam version with the Gothic Steam Fix which includes the system pack a couple of years back without issues at least, it's a well-known mod and I very highly doubt it's anything but a false positive.

Yeah, gog actually has the links to the mods on the support page so I just went with those and installed them, despite getting a false positive with one of them. Game launches fine now and I don't have any 3rd party search bars in my browser.

GreenNight posted:

True, but I dunno. Gothic 1 and 2 has such a special place with me and it's the one game I'd get all :goonsay: over remake changes. They'd probably modernize things that were good about the originals while leaving the stuff that wasn't the focus the same. They should keep the progression the same and just allow full character customization since your character, while can have some good snark at times, is just a nothing character.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Jimbot posted:

True, but I dunno. Gothic 1 and 2 has such a special place with me and it's the one game I'd get all :goonsay: over remake changes. They'd probably modernize things that were good about the originals while leaving the stuff that wasn't the focus the same. They should keep the progression the same and just allow full character customization since your character, while can have some good snark at times, is just a nothing character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTb8ILmrZFA

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yep, just add a more nasally voice and more trite complaining and that's me! (Good video, though. I enjoy his channel but I haven't kept up with it in a long time) Going from a fool afraid of scavengers to wiping out the entire old camp with either a godly two-handed sword or a wave of death was always extremely satisfying. Doubly so in the second game where they added crafting. Biggest charm of Gothic, for me, was that aspect and the fact that you class was tied to a location, which changed how the mid-game played out. Having different animations if you were untrained or trained with the weaponry was so good. It fleshed out the world in such a fantastic way and felt like you were learning and earning the power you wielded.

On the subject of Gothic, anyone ever take Sneak? I played the game so much and that's the one skill I never tried out.

Oh and I have to say, I think all RPGs should have a faction that's dedicated to harvesting weed and getting high.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 4, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The latest game from the Gothic dudes, Elex was pretty good. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Jimbot posted:

On the subject of Gothic, anyone ever take Sneak? I played the game so much and that's the one skill I never tried out.
high.

Definitely try it—I can’t imagine not taking Sneak no matter what my build. It just doesn’t feel like Gothic to me if you can’t sneak into every single house and store at night and rob them blind.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

Definitely try it—I can’t imagine not taking Sneak no matter what my build. It just doesn’t feel like Gothic to me if you can’t sneak into every single house and store at night and rob them blind.

That's true, but you can also walk backwards and never get called out for trespassing! Goddamn, I love these eurojank games.

Well, I beat the first game. Being unemployed has its benefits of time. I forgot how much I both love and hate magic. I love it because you feel really drat powerful with some of these spells. Hate it because half the spells are useless and you can get "stunlocked" into casting a spell forever. I forgot if Gothic 2 solved that problem. Nothing like casting "Wave of Death" for 90% of your mana bar because the odd bolt keeps hitting you and resetting the casting time.

At least some spells are powerful. I remember playing Risen and being a mage in that game blew because the spells were all weak poo poo. It also took forever to get admitted to becoming one too, which made the sting of it being underpowered hurt even more.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Free GoG games just hit:

https://www.gog.com/promo/rerelease_ultima_underworld_and_syndicate

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

I had already owned these for years; didn't they just pull these? Did they get them back and now they are loving with the publishers? If so, good for them!

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Their press release about it said it was EA's decision to delist them for around the past two months. What EA was thinking or did though :shrug:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Holy balls, I forgot how dick-smashing hard Gothic 2 Night of the Raven was in the beginning. Everything helpful was reduced so much. Instead of +5 basic rings they're +3, stat potions likewise got nerfed, stat leveling gets more expensive and all that poo poo. Combat is a little bit better but monsters like to move around a lot more and enemies like to score those sweet critical hits against you that sap most of your health. At least ranged combat is better - you at least hit things.

Are any of the other hunting skills worth getting? I got skinning this time around rather than being a smith and it already paid for itself but I'm being super stingy with my LP this early. I don't know if claws and other things will be worth the return in gold since they nerfed the sell prices of these things into the ground (A shadowbeast pelt sells to a regular vendor for 38 gold, what in the goddamn).

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
KONAMI games on GOG.COM receive a controller support update

quote:

Playing classic gems is about to get even more enjoyable! Today 5 KONAMI titles listed below have received an important update regarding their support for modern controllers:
• Konami Collector's Series: Castlevania & Contra
• METAL GEAR
• METAL GEAR SOLID
• METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SUBSTANCE
• Silent Hill 4: The Room
As of now, these titles will not only enjoy full support for popular modern controllers such as Sony DualSense, Sony DualShock 4, Microsoft Xbox One X/S, and Nintendo Switch Pro but also receive optimized default key bindings and a few smaller fixes regarding the controller compatibility.

Whew!

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
What about a PC port of the HD collection plus Twin Snakes? Why haven't they done that yet? Why is there no easy way for me to play MGS3, the best game in the series a very good game? Why, Konami?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zachol posted:

What about a PC port of the HD collection plus Twin Snakes? Why haven't they done that yet? Why is there no easy way for me to play MGS3, the best game in the series a very good game? Why, Konami?

Twin Snakes is full of Nintendo references, so the only place it could go is the Switch.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also they'd have to give Dennis Dyack money, which nobody should do.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Twin Snakes is full of Nintendo references, so the only place it could go is the Switch.
Nintendo also worked on Twin Snakes, so it ain't going anywhere that isn't a Nintendo.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also they'd have to give Dennis Dyack money, which nobody should do.

Would they? With SK out of business I assumed it would also just go to Konami and/or Nintendo

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tried this out with Metal Gear, MGS and MGS2 and appears to be working well!

I'd already put the controller fix in for MGS2, but this will save future punters a lot of work.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Jimbot posted:

Holy balls, I forgot how dick-smashing hard Gothic 2 Night of the Raven was in the beginning. Everything helpful was reduced so much. Instead of +5 basic rings they're +3, stat potions likewise got nerfed, stat leveling gets more expensive and all that poo poo. Combat is a little bit better but monsters like to move around a lot more and enemies like to score those sweet critical hits against you that sap most of your health. At least ranged combat is better - you at least hit things.

Are any of the other hunting skills worth getting? I got skinning this time around rather than being a smith and it already paid for itself but I'm being super stingy with my LP this early. I don't know if claws and other things will be worth the return in gold since they nerfed the sell prices of these things into the ground (A shadowbeast pelt sells to a regular vendor for 38 gold, what in the goddamn).

I saw a video recently that you should just murder the smith, take his valuable iron, then eventually he and the iron will reappear following which you kill him again and take his iron again. rinse and repeat

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Star Trek - https://www.gog.com/partner/startrek

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What are the better ones? I heard Elite Force 1 and 2 were decent shooters.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The P&C one isn't there :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

itry posted:

Which one? This one? Or this one? They were already on the service before this announcement today.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Saoshyant posted:

Which one? This one? Or this one? They were already on the service before this announcement today.

Should've specified. It's this https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_-_A_Final_Unity

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Yeah it's sad that that's never been re-released. I have successfully played it on Windows 10 with dosbox though.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Guillermus posted:

Elite Force both have fun campaigns - EF1 really shined in multiplayer which sadly isn't that active anymore. Bridge Commander is a great campaign. Starfleet Command 3 is a fun one as well. Hidden Evil is meh, just watch a youtube playthrough. Away Team is kind of fun if you like that kind of game, maybe watch some videos first. Both Armada's are good fun.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve always wanted to play Elite Force, glad they’re finally on here. These were Quake 3 engine games right?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

itry posted:

This appears to just be Activision-published Star Trek games from before they dropped the license and sued Viacom over them not releasing high-enough quality Star Trek movies and shows to work with. :v: None of the Microprose or Spectrum Holobyte stuff is on the list.

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve always wanted to play Elite Force, glad they’re finally on here. These were Quake 3 engine games right?
Yes. Confusingly, both games are built by different developers with their own modified variants of Quake 3! (EF1 was by Raven, but they didn't come back for the second game since they scored the Star Wars license for Jedi Outcast, so SiN developers Ritual stepped in for the sequel)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Guillermus posted:

They are. Kind of basic by today’s standards but they hit all the right shooter/Trek buttons.

The Armadas don’t appear to be available yet but if you’re playing for the campaign I found the first one okay but the second one, for all it’s improvements and much prettier presentation, isn’t as good. The combat is faster to the point that everything but the most expensive ships are dying to one or two hits which renders the whole crew system functionally pointless, almost every single mission for every single faction is a basic “build base for a while, attack enemy” mission, and while I’m not one to complain about story in an RTS game even that isn’t as good as the first. There are a lot more gimmick missions in Armada 1, good to bad, but they at least keep things fresh and try to involve more of the mechanics other than just building things and shooting things.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Kins posted:

This appears to just be Activision-published Star Trek games from before they dropped the license and sued Viacom over them not releasing high-enough quality Star Trek movies and shows to work with. :v: None of the Microprose or Spectrum Holobyte stuff is on the list.

:allears:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

Elite Force both have fun campaigns - EF1 really shined in multiplayer which sadly isn't that active anymore. Bridge Commander is a great campaign. Starfleet Command 3 is a fun one as well. Hidden Evil is meh, just watch a youtube playthrough. Away Team is kind of fun if you like that kind of game, maybe watch some videos first. Both Armada's are good fun.

Kibayasu posted:

They are. Kind of basic by today’s standards but they hit all the right shooter/Trek buttons.

The Armadas don’t appear to be available yet but if you’re playing for the campaign I found the first one okay but the second one, for all it’s improvements and much prettier presentation, isn’t as good. The combat is faster to the point that everything but the most expensive ships are dying to one or two hits which renders the whole crew system functionally pointless, almost every single mission for every single faction is a basic “build base for a while, attack enemy” mission, and while I’m not one to complain about story in an RTS game even that isn’t as good as the first. There are a lot more gimmick missions in Armada 1, good to bad, but they at least keep things fresh and try to involve more of the mechanics other than just building things and shooting things.

Cheers thanks!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I also remember being frustrated by Away Team but that was probably because I was an idiot and hadn’t played many tactical squad games before that.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I also remember being frustrated by Away Team but that was probably because I was an idiot and hadn’t played many tactical squad games before that.

The game has some incredibly unfair sections, especially near the end.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

Best part of Armada 1 is the ability hotbar. A full fleet of non-science ships slots all of their abilities into this little bar front and center. A lot of games these days make you select the individual unit if you want to see and use their abilities. Admittedly you have to select an individual ship if you want to stagger your ability use, but hey.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Elite Force 1 is good (for its time) for the first 2/3 and then it turns into a bit of a serious sam clone and is not so good. Elite Force 2 just throws in the boring enemies right from the start.

e: \/ okay I mean after the prologue but yes actually the borg are pretty boring for the bit of EF2 they are in.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 8, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Elite Force 1 is good (for its time) for the first 2/3 and then it turns into a bit of a serious sam clone and is not so good. Elite Force 2 just throws in the boring enemies right from the start.

Yeah the Borg are pretty boring :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/letsgameitout/status/1435640652189081605?s=19