Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Where are you seeing McKenna for $90? I've never seen it more than $60 and know plenty of places that get it in at $45-50 at least as often as ECBP comes in
Plus ECBP is older, higher proof, and readily available at $60-70
But like the others said, knob creek (either the small batch or the single barrel) are a good substitute
Also perhaps try Ezra Brooks 99 or Evan Williams BIB as a budget option

IMHO, the EV BIB is fine for sipping if you add an ice cube or even two. Since getting out of the house is starting to be a hassle again, my 3:30-ish sipping/reading journals time out when the weather is decent has been budget-tier because I’m alone and concentrating on something else. Also, it can get hot out here (not too hot to go in, but noticeable) so a couple of cubes make it last a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

sean10mm posted:

So I'm nearing the end of my bottle of Henry McKenna 10 year old single barrel bottled in bond that I bought a couple years ago for $35, and realized that it's selling for like $90 now lol, so I'm not doing that again. It was really good, but not $90 good, what the actual gently caress.

ANYWAY, I need to find a bourbon to replace it. I know single barrels are pretty variable so that probably doesn't help much, I don't care specifically about bonded/age #/single barrel per se, but I do want something that's a good sipper for the money. I have some Woodford Reserve sitting around that's fine for mixing with things but doesn't quite do it neat or on the rocks for reasons I'm bad at pinning down.

Basically any random suggestions under $50 are fine! :v:

e: The only bourbon I remember really NOT liking outright was Four Roses Small Batch for some reason, which apparently makes me weird. :saddowns:

Dickel Bib
WT Rare Breed
Some of the Maker Barrel selects aren’t bad
King’s County Bib or Straight Bourbon

If you like Rye:
High West Double Rye
WT Rye
Cat’s Eye Nassif Family Reserve (not really a rye but tastes like a budget Willett)

Dickel Bib is honestly probably the best in the price range you want.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

So I'm nearing the end of my bottle of Henry McKenna 10 year old single barrel bottled in bond that I bought a couple years ago for $35, and realized that it's selling for like $90 now lol, so I'm not doing that again. It was really good, but not $90 good, what the actual gently caress.

ANYWAY, I need to find a bourbon to replace it. I know single barrels are pretty variable so that probably doesn't help much, I don't care specifically about bonded/age #/single barrel per se, but I do want something that's a good sipper for the money. I have some Woodford Reserve sitting around that's fine for mixing with things but doesn't quite do it neat or on the rocks for reasons I'm bad at pinning down.

Basically any random suggestions under $50 are fine! :v:

e: The only bourbon I remember really NOT liking outright was Four Roses Small Batch for some reason, which apparently makes me weird. :saddowns:

Eagle Rare is still pretty reasonably priced in a lot of places. Has that same 10-year age statement.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I visited Macallan last week. In their bar they were selling drams of the 1927 distilled release.

£8,750 from memory.

gently caress that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

biglads posted:

I visited Macallan last week. In their bar they were selling drams of the 1927 distilled release.

£8,750 from memory.

gently caress that.

Is their new distillery open yet? That looked really nice.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

spankmeister posted:

Is their new distillery open yet? That looked really nice.

The one built into the hillside? Yeah, that's been running for a while now.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Left Pennsylvania for the first time in ???, and finally got my hands on Mellow Corn. Goons have not steered me wrong. I picked up some other stuff, but I opened The Shin Japanese whiskey and I'm not sure what to think just yet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You have to drink it

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I like how SFWSC introduced a Japanese Whisky category and promptly gave awards to plenty of whiskies that aren't Japanese. Or even whisky.
That should change for 2022.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So I went bourbon hunting and as much out of exhaustion as anything wound up buying Knob Creek Small Batch 9 YO for like $32.99.

I actually like it.

Compared it side by side to Woodford Reserve and Henry McKenna 10 year single barrel bottled in bond (whew!)

Woodford Reserve starts way sweeter but has some kind of aftertaste on the back end that I can't describe except it obviously sucks. Like almost some kind of metallic bitterness? It's weird.

McKenna's Bourbon Label Catchphrase Whorehouse has a lot going on but most of it is good. Probably still the best of the three overall, but nobody has it in stock near me and it looks like it's scalped to death online so that's kind of moot.

The Knob Creek 9 was maybe a little simpler flavor profile than Super McKenna All The Labels but also just kind of *pleasant* and lacking the weird bad taste on the backend of the WR.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
So since we all appreciate the Dickel BiB, uh....I saw Evan Williams BiB on a shelf.

Anyone try?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Side note to liquor store staff: no I don't want the bottle with the hipster jackoff craft beer looking logo that's just rebottled MGP, and I don't want the stuff from your own personal distillery with the ink jet printed looking labels that you can't even legally call straight whiskey.

:bahgawd:

I did respect the old degenerate who just kept suggesting Old Grand Dad 114 because it's "got some hair on it."

:confuoot:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 22, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

sean10mm posted:

I did respect the old degenerate who just kept suggesting Old Grand Dad 114 because it's "got some hair on it."

I hope you got it, it's aces.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

GD_American posted:

So since we all appreciate the Dickel BiB, uh....I saw Evan Williams BiB on a shelf.

Anyone try?

Best budget bottle put there

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

GD_American posted:

Anyone try?

Good stuff. Most places around here price them the same so I tend to prefer WT101 but you can't go wrong with either.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sean10mm posted:

That old degenerate was right! It's got a high-rye mashbill with some solid proof behind it at a very competitive price. My whiskey of choice on election nights when things are looking bad (i.e. every election night).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Speaking of old degenerates, I stumbled across the Dickel BiB (11 year/2020 release) at $50 and pulled the trigger. Time to put the hype to the test.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Vox Nihili posted:

My whiskey of choice on election nights when things are looking bad (i.e. every election night).

I know this was just partly a joke, but I laughed trying to come up with the mindset that would have been unhappy when Obama was re-elected, then unhappy when trump was elected, and then unhappy when Biden was elected.

I’m coming up empty handed lol, unless you just mean that all the dem/con candidates suck, I’m which case you’re probably not wrong.

In recent news for me, I’m really getting burnt out from the local bourbon culture here and the ‘bourbon hunters’. I probably haven’t bought a bottle in 4 months and won’t until my local shop gets a new cool store pick in. I have soooo many opened bottles right now that I just can’t justify it anymore.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I assumed it meant “there’s a certain point on every election night when it looks like things might all be going to hell”

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

In recent news for me, I’m really getting burnt out from the local bourbon culture here and the ‘bourbon hunters’. I probably haven’t bought a bottle in 4 months and won’t until my local shop gets a new cool store pick in. I have soooo many opened bottles right now that I just can’t justify it anymore.

I think when people stopped treating it like a hobby that involves something unique and tasty and started treating it more and more like trading cards that sit on your shelf to be admired rather than consumed is when I "gave up"

Sure, if I stumble upon an XYZ bottle from buffalo trace at MSRP that I either don't have or know I can get $$$ on secondary then of course I'll grab it. The key is I'm not out actively scouring stores for them and buying out a shelf of bottom shelf Weller like so many of these people do

While I haven't stopped purchasing stuff, my recent choices for July and August have been far more eclectic:
1792 barrel pick from a local group that's out of one of my long time shopped stores (and their picks have all been hitters so far)

Found North Batch 1 and 2 Canadian Whisky - tasted these after hearing some hype and these are incredible so I had to grab both

Remus Repeal V

A honey barrel finished MGP pick from another local semi-private group (dubbed BeeTAC)

Henry McKenna that I grabbed for $36 to replace my probably 4 year old screw-top bottle that's almost empty and I wasn't really going to pass it up at that price anyway.

Meanwhile I've missed and not really fretted about Russell's 13, EHT BP and Whorehouse C, Stagg JR, and whatever other BT drops that have hit that you never see like Elmer

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
My Weller story:

It was 2014 and I went to a bachelor party in Louisville, KY. We went to a liquor store and I was on the hunt for Weller bc I knew it was "like Pappy, similar base." All they had was a handle. No premium price. Drank a lot of it, probably too much, we were flasking it at the Forecastle Music Festival, it was easy to just bring in liquor. It tasted like decent bourbon but nothing really noteworthy. I was flying home with just a carry on and I gave it to my friend who was driving home, he was supposed to save it for me until next time I saw him. I guess him or someone else local in North Carolina just unceremoniously drank it. Was kinda pissed.

It definitely felt like back then the hype was much lower.

These days I mainly just mix with whiskey. Evan Williams BiB and Rittenhouse Rye are my main mixers. My wife got me Laphraoig Quarter Cask as a birthday gift, that was cool.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 25, 2021

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Comb Your Beard posted:

Outside of Pappy and BTAC the hype wasn't really there for pretty much anything
You can even look back at posts in this thread and see - I think I mentioned not being able to find Weller 12 but never having trouble finding Antique (and back then the price was still $30). And Blanton's was always on the shelf because who really wanted to pay $50 for that when they could get Elmer for $30 or regular Buffalo trace for $20?
The winds started changing around 2017 and have just gotten more and more ridiculous, and for sure covid has accelerated that

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Outside of Pappy and BTAC the hype wasn't really there for pretty much anything
You can even look back at posts in this thread and see - I think I mentioned not being able to find Weller 12 but never having trouble finding Antique (and back then the price was still $30). And Blanton's was always on the shelf because who really wanted to pay $50 for that when they could get Elmer for $30 or regular Buffalo trace for $20?
The winds started changing around 2017 and have just gotten more and more ridiculous, and for sure covid has accelerated that

There’s a post from me in this thread asking about Lot B from like 2013 or something. Saw 4 bottles on the shelf at a local shop for $50 a piece and I came in here and asked about it.

That’s the first and only time I’ve seen a VW or BTAC bottle at retail and it was almost ten years ago now.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I hope the bourbon situation keeps going the way it's going, cause people will leave my Kentucky Spirit and Rare Breed alone. All the other stuff is *pretty* over rated if it's anything about MSRP.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

I know this was just partly a joke, but I laughed trying to come up with the mindset that would have been unhappy when Obama was re-elected, then unhappy when trump was elected, and then unhappy when Biden was elected.

I’m coming up empty handed lol, unless you just mean that all the dem/con candidates suck, I’m which case you’re probably not wrong.

I didn't get into whiskey until maybe seven or so years ago, and I live in California so there are always a few really awful propositions that I inevitably get invested in that invariably pass with 51% of the vote every drat cycle.

Also, I participate in the Democratic primaries, which are their own unique brand of hell.

Data Graham posted:

I assumed it meant “there’s a certain point on every election night when it looks like things might all be going to hell”

That, too.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Just found out that the LCBO has a "Spend $250 and get free shipping deal" going on until today, so I'm going to try to track down some whisky that's harder to find near me and have it shipped. If anyone has any suggestions or requests, now's the time. Already got Gooderham & Worts on the list, as was suggested earlier.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Comb Your Beard posted:

Back in college around like 07 and 08 we were mixing Eagle Rare and Weller to pregame before going to the bar because they were only a couple bucks more per fifth than the bottom shelf stuff.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Casu Marzu posted:

Back in college around like 07 and 08 we were mixing Eagle Rare and Weller to pregame before going to the bar because they were only a couple bucks more per fifth than the bottom shelf stuff.

Yeah it's crazy, Weller was what I used to get because it was pretty cheap all things considered. I can't even find it now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I went to a "speakeasy" style bar, whatever that means, with a very nice selection of liquor and asked for a Wild Turkey double and was told, "We don't dooo Wild Turkey," in a voice that sounds very much like you imagine. So I looked across this impressive collection of liquors, stood up, pissed on the bar, and walked out. No that didn't happen except in my imagination, but I ordered EC instead, downed it and walked out. LOL. The pretentiousness still has me laughing.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

wormil posted:

I went to a "speakeasy" style bar, whatever that means

It means you've been transported back to 2010, and you'd better get ready to pay $16 for a cocktail

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

wormil posted:

I went to a "speakeasy" style bar, whatever that means, with a very nice selection of liquor and asked for a Wild Turkey double and was told, "We don't dooo Wild Turkey," in a voice that sounds very much like you imagine. So I looked across this impressive collection of liquors, stood up, pissed on the bar, and walked out. No that didn't happen except in my imagination, but I ordered EC instead, downed it and walked out. LOL. The pretentiousness still has me laughing.

What makes it funnier is a bunch of "craft" bourbon they were probably jerkin it to is just relabeled MGP.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've never ventured much further than my standby drinks. Namely Makers Mark, Jameson, and Glenlivet 12. Every once in a while I'll get fancy and crack open the bottle of Noahs Mill I have too.

I guess what I'm getting at is, if I did want to try something new are there any standard recommendations? I've read that Oban is a good bottle to try. Based on my current tastes is that accurate?

Also kind of interesting to read about how high prices have gotten and I guess for lack of a better word the "gentrification" of whiskey/bourbon/scotchs. Is this a fairly standard cyclical thing? Or does the long lead time mean there was a big push for new brands 7-8 years ago and we're just seeing the results now? Is there a predicted return to normalcy? I just find the whole thing intriguing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How is Barrel Hitch bourbon(actually doesn't even claim to be bourbon or rye, just "American whiskey")? I found an unopened bottle while cleaning out the shop.

It looks pretty bad

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've never ventured much further than my standby drinks. Namely Makers Mark, Jameson, and Glenlivet 12. Every once in a while I'll get fancy and crack open the bottle of Noahs Mill I have too.

I guess what I'm getting at is, if I did want to try something new are there any standard recommendations? I've read that Oban is a good bottle to try. Based on my current tastes is that accurate?

Also kind of interesting to read about how high prices have gotten and I guess for lack of a better word the "gentrification" of whiskey/bourbon/scotchs. Is this a fairly standard cyclical thing? Or does the long lead time mean there was a big push for new brands 7-8 years ago and we're just seeing the results now? Is there a predicted return to normalcy? I just find the whole thing intriguing.
With your tastes tbh, go with whatever has been recommended in the thread before to anyone (seriously), you'll probably like it- Oban is a fine option

Prices are a bit messed up but only really for two specific reasons. Scarcity of some American whiskey brands (aka "allocated" whiskey) and scotch tariffs.
Anything from Buffalo Trace distillery fits into that first category, and most limited edition releases from others do as well. Beyond that, you'll always find the standard offerings from Wild Turkey, Beam, Old Forester, and Heaven Hill at least for now.
This all happened because demand heavily outpaced supply, and when you have a 6-12 year lead time on your product it is hard to play catch up properly. Also Sazerac seems to be using the "you need to hunt for our good stuff" mentality as marketing now.

Scotch tariffs are over, so some prices might have already started to rebound from where they've risen to depending on the rate of sales and whatever other factors are playing into it, while some brands may just never return to their 2017 price points.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Data Graham posted:

How is Barrel Hitch bourbon(actually doesn't even claim to be bourbon or rye, just "American whiskey")? I found an unopened bottle while cleaning out the shop.

It looks pretty bad

If an American whiskey isn't labeled "straight _____ whiskey" assume it's utter poo poo.

This isn't snobbery, you can find incredibly cheap whiskey that meets the "straight "legal criteria, but if it's not straight whiskey it can have almost anything in it.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

That’s a solid rule of thumb but I’d be more worried about the “Blended” tag on the Barrel Hitch than the “American Whiskey” (or maybe more worried about both on the same label). “Blended” usually means they added neutral grain spirits and is a really bad sign. “American Whiskey” means “we can’t legally call this bourbon” but there’s stuff like Michter’s American Whiskey that’s a good, unblended whiskey aged in used oak barrels instead of new oak which disqualifies it from being labelled Bourbon.

But yeah, generally speaking, I’d do some research on anything labelled American Whiskey or Blended before I’d buy it.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 30, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Any suggestions on a cheap peat heavy scotch? I don't like drinking em neat, but I love me a penicillin and that needs a nice smoky float on top.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The term is "premiumization" and it's a pretty common phenomenon in marketing. It's likely things will eventually flip in the other direction after output eventually outpaces demand and reserves start piling up, but anyone predicting a particular timeline for that is probably talking out of their rear end.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Any suggestions on a cheap peat heavy scotch? I don't like drinking em neat, but I love me a penicillin and that needs a nice smoky float on top.

How peat heavy are we talking? Johnnie Walker Black is probably one of the cheapest bottles you'll find themed around peat, but it's not super heavily peated by any means. Laphroaig 10 is maybe the best value for a peaty single malt, but that will obviously cost you quite a bit more than a peaty blended Scotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I usually use ardbeg 10 but thats just because its the cheapest smoky whisky I keep on hand. It runs $50ish in my area.