Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HAmbONE posted:

But what decides or denotes a true name? If there are more people on this website who know me as Hambone than there are people who know my real name, which name holds power?
If somebody shouts "Hambone!", do you turn around?

(this is necessary but not sufficient)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If somebody shouts "Hambone!", do you turn around?

I do. (I really like ham bones)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tiggum posted:

I do. (I really like ham bones)

Fool~! You've revealed your True Name.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Tredlocity is fine and all but on the old Just Working Through Some Stuff scale writing a comic where every single character was adopted by a gay couple has got to be a solid 7

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiggum posted:

To me, there are only two possibilities that make sense:
  1. True Names are unique identifiers that exist as an essential part of all things. Unless you're some kind of wizard, you probably don't know the True Name of anything, including yourself. Your regular name is just a thing you or someone else picked, it has no relation to your True Name.
  2. Whatever people call you is your true name. If it identifies you and you respond to it, in what sense is it not "true"?

Sorry, that might distract you from the rock-stacking. Conversation with your fellow rock-stackers is also banned.
What if different people call you different things? Is Bruce Wayne's True Name Bruce, Bruce Wayne, "Billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne", or Batman?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

What if different people call you different things? Is Bruce Wayne's True Name Bruce, Bruce Wayne, "Billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne", or Batman?
They'd both be true names by my second definition. Who says you can't have more than one true name?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

some plague rats posted:

Tredlocity is fine and all but on the old Just Working Through Some Stuff scale writing a comic where every single character was adopted by a gay couple has got to be a solid 7
There's an ask the author exchange that goes something like

"Why is everyone gay?"
"Why not?"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiggum posted:

They'd both be true names by my second definition. Who says you can't have more than one true name?
Because then there's no distinction between a True Name and just a name.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Splicer posted:

Bruce Wayne, specifically, is just an alter ego of Batman, his true personality/name.

For most other superheroes whatever civilian name they go by is their true name, but Batman is the exception. In this essay I will

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Your yahoo mail account is your true name.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Bruce Wayne, specifically, is just an alter ego of Batman, his true personality/name.

For most other superheroes whatever civilian name they go by is their true name, but Batman is the exception. In this essay I will
I unironically agree, and it's how tredlocity does it. It's whatever you refer to yourself as.

For example my True Name is "useless, useless, why do you suck so much"

e: the second useless is what makes it hard to crack

Splicer has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Aug 30, 2021

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Ah, then my true name is "please stop drinking"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

Because then there's no distinction between a True Name and just a name.
Sure there is. A false name is a name that doesn't identify you. If I tell you my name is Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo, and you then try to locate or contact me using that name, you won't find me. But whether I tell you my name is Mathew Walls or Tiggum, you can easily look me up and contact me. They're both true names because they both identify me. What else could it mean for a name to be "true"?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Actually your true name is the sound you make when you cry because you had to kill a spider.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In cultures where the concept of true name is present, it's usually a secret name you only tell people you trust, because it can be used to hex you. Like when I don't want people on the internet to know my real name and use a handle.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I thought you just are so cursed already that no new hexes would take.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

you don't even need an essay

there's that episode of Batman Beyond where Bruce knows he's being mind controlled because the voice in his head is calling himself Bruce and not Batman

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Your True Name is the number that the government uses to track you.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Your true name is the sound you make when you eat poo poo in heels for the first time.

Why yes my true name IS "GOD loving DAMMIT NO SHUT UP GRANDMA IM FINE."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

By popular demand posted:

I thought you just are so cursed already that no new hexes would take.
The Mr Burns of hex victims

e: new RPG character concept: Someone who got hit by so many hexes that he can cast spells by selectively leaking

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I mean I curse Paladinius at least fifty times a day and I'm among the more reserved people ITT, so that's the only logical conclusion.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Bogmonster posted:

old British cartoon strips in the Dandy and Beano

I found a big boxful of mid to late 90s Beano and Dandy's recently. Flicking through them most of the strips are just okay, but there are a few with some very creative writers/ artists.

Here's some James:

and some Les:

Koburn has a new favorite as of 20:45 on Aug 30, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

By popular demand posted:

I mean I curse Paladinius at least fifty times a day and I'm among the more reserved people ITT, so that's the only logical conclusion.

Maybe you are the one who's really cursed.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Why would you curse Paladinus? They do a good job of cursing themselves constantly.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: I guess it's The Music of Chance

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Splicer posted:

The Mr Burns of hex victims

e: new RPG character concept: Someone who got hit by so many hexes that he can cast spells by selectively leaking

That's extremely rad. Though they'd probably end up with some tedious rpg class name like hexbringer or curseborne, ugh

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kennel posted:

Your True Name is the number that the government uses to track you.

The only two things certain in life are death and hexes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NO

DOGS!

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Boba Pearl posted:

Actually your true name is the sound you make when you cry because you had to kill a spider.

i silently put the spiders under a cup or container and put them outside. does this make me immune to hexes? that would be cool

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

this is clever

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zippy the Bummer posted:

this is clever

"hmmm what if I did The Ring but with the whole premise explained up front"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So anyway then Val had a girlfriend

Felonious_Monk
Oct 26, 2008
As a buff cyclops, it's nice to finally see some representation in comics

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hitmen for Destiny #84: In which more blatrars are encountered

======================

Hitmen for Destiny #85: In which the bird is grabbed

Bodycount: 64
Not counting the 3-7 blatrars that probably died off screen fighting each other

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bodycount: 0
Nobody dies in Cat Loaf. So far.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Felonious_Monk posted:

As a buff cyclops, it's nice to finally see some representation in comics

I think that eye patch is a medical condition.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Is this a promise?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's some Clementine, to help the day along

Sometimes in life your friends will be very whiny and annoying. Just let them get it all out, and then do something they can make fun of you for

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Tenebrais posted:

So anyway then Val had a girlfriend

Of all the couples in this comic, that pair has the worst combined depth perception

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tree Bucket posted:

Of all the couples in this comic, that pair has the worst combined depth perception
I find their relationship a little

Two dimensional