Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jeoh posted:

The CIAO

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Read that article and found these Twitter posts through it.
:stare:
https://twitter.com/DariusLongarino/status/1430861612148269061
https://twitter.com/DariusLongarino/status/1391768606170624003

https://twitter.com/TheJiaoCollectv/status/1430750247983190017

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Pharohman777 posted:

Read that article and found these Twitter posts through it.
:stare:

Jesus.

I kind of expected LGBT rights to backslide, from their already low high water mark.

Still surreal to hear that clinical language on the LGBT like it came out of a 1960s American psychology textbook.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Knowing China, they'll be looking at their birth rate targets, then attempting some sort of lame-rear end conversion therapy. Suspect that they'll be the humorous-out-of-context 'educational' type, rather than the brutal electroshock type, but you never know.

As if non-straight people in China needed any additional pointers on "why you should get married and have babies anyway" lol.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
PseudoGay is a cool band name just sayin

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Atopian posted:

As if non-straight people in China needed any additional pointers on "why you should get married and have babies anyway" lol.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that this was the common thought process among traditional Chinese families.

As in old people tell their gay kids, "Sure it's fine that you are gay. But you'll get married and give us grandchildren anyway because ... tradition. So what you are not attracted to your wife. You think I am attracted to your mother? Go be gay on your own time, but in the meanwhile marry the nice girl your grandma picked out for you and knock her up."

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Right, hence me saying "as if they needed any additional pointers" on that, because they presumably have parents/grandparents already.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought that this was the common thought process among traditional Chinese families.

As in old people tell their gay kids, "Sure it's fine that you are gay. But you'll get married and give us grandchildren anyway because ... tradition. So what you are not attracted to your wife. You think I am attracted to your mother? Go be gay on your own time, but in the meanwhile marry the nice girl your grandma picked out for you and knock her up."

Have a friend with conservative chinese parents. 2 sons, younger one gay (so what) and parents always loved them both and didn't express any homophobic ideas. Eventually it became clear the older son was never going to have kids, previously chill grandparents then lost their poo poo and started getting extremely homophobic towards the older son. Younger son directed anger at older brother for not having kids and putting the onus on him. Ridiculous family meltdown.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Serious Q: what was Mao's stance on homosexuality? Is this a reversion back to it or something more?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Mao's out, baby.

Jinping Thought is what's hot right now.

And if Daddy Xi says gays are a threat to the Chinese way of life, well, as I said earlier, "There's always more room in the camps."

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Proles must produce babies who will toil for the Inner Party, surrogacy is complex and will reduce the number of babies produced.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

any chinese can have any sexuality that they want so long as it fills the womb

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
state mandated girlfriends when uncle xi??? i will sing the chinese national anthem everyday and become a chinese citizen and renounce the western ways for xi jinpeng thought

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

sorry, han chinese only, like daddy xi said: "we must secure the existence of our people and a future for han children"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jeoh posted:

sorry, han chinese only, like daddy xi said: "we must secure the existence of our people and a future for han children"
gonna need to add or subtract a word to get any traction

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Serious question:

Are there any "token" LGBTQ Chinese TV celebs/Idols/movie stars? Would such a thing be allowed, even if they were "one of the good ones"(tm)?

I know from my time living there that even though Korean society is insanely conservative/homophobic, they have that bald skinny chef bloke, (Hong Seok-Cheon), on heaps of panel shows as their token gay.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Jeoh posted:

any chinese can have any sexuality that they want so long as it fills the womb

The unnamed country can only populate

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

quote:

HONG KONG, Aug 24 (Reuters) - Hong Kong said on Tuesday new film censorship legislation will be introduced to "safeguard national security", in another sign of shrinking freedoms in the former British colony.

China introduced a sweeping national security law in June last year to crack down on what it deems subversion, secessionism, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces, following months of sometimes violent pro-democracy protests in 2019.

The new "film censorship" amendment bill will help enhance the regulatory framework, the government said in a statement, with a view to "ensuring more effective fulfilment of the duty to safeguard national security".

"The main reference is the national security law ... for instances, acts or activities which might endorse, support, glorify, encourage and incite such activities that might endanger national security," Edward Yau, Hong Kong's commerce secretary, told reporters.

Hong Kong's number two official, the chief secretary, will also be empowered to revoke a film's licence if found to be "contrary to the interests of national security".

Those who violate the law could sentenced to three years imprisonment and fined HK$1 million ($128,400).

The bill will be put to the city's Legislative Council next Wednesday.

Hong Kong introduced new film censorship guidelines in June to ban films perceived as promoting or glorifying acts which may endanger national security. read more

Hong Kong returned to Chinese rule in 1997 with the promise its wide-ranging freedoms, including freedom of expression, would remain intact. Beijing and Hong Kong authorities have repeatedly denied curbing human rights and freedoms.

The move comes after recent cancellations of a number of screenings of protest-related films and documentaries at cinemas and art centres.

A documentary called "Taiwan Equals Love" on Taiwan's gay marriage debate was pulled in June, after the Film Censorship Authority refused to approve its full screening. China considers self-ruled Taiwan a breakaway province.

The Cannes Film Festival screened a new documentary titled "Revolution of Our Times", which chronicles the 2019 protests, by filmmaker Kiwi Chow as a surprise addition in July, read more

Chow said he doesn't plan to screen it in Hong Kong given previous censorship guidelines announced in June.
Reporting by Jessie Pang; Editing by James Pomfret and Nick Macfie

rest in piss hk movie goers, no longer will your eyes and ears be assaulted with sexual deviance or homoeroticism

i wonder what they'll do about classic hk films with protest and riot themes during colonial rule

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Booty Pageant posted:

i wonder what they'll do about classic hk films with protest and riot themes during colonial rule

I believe the traditional act is to pile them all up and set fire to them while angry crowds display their loyalty to their Great Leader by throwing more on the bonfire and perhaps doing some angry chantings of party slogans.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Booty Pageant posted:

What films I don't remember any films.

Move along, comrade.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Would a solution to this film censorship be to just make films for the Taiwanese market, and never release them on the mainland? Is the Taiwanese film going population big enough to support that option?

But knowing the CCP, it doesn't matter if the film is released in the mainland, or even in China at all. If they want to try you for being 'disharmonious' they can and will find/black bag you anyways.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Would a solution to this film censorship be to just make films for the Taiwanese market, and never release them on the mainland? Is the Taiwanese film going population big enough to support that option?

But knowing the CCP, it doesn't matter if the film is released in the mainland, or even in China at all. If they want to try you for being 'disharmonious' they can and will find/black bag you anyways.

100% of the celebrities are already on the pro-china train because the alternative would be (not just) professional suicide

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

There's an ongoing problem with publishing books in China because they will randomly come under censorship even if they are being printed entirely for an external market with no release in China. Worse, it usually happens after the printing run is complete and the books are either held hostage by local authorities, seized at the shipping port, or just outright destroyed. They make it so cheap that people risk it anyways.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Daddy Xi setting new rules for the kids

China Limits Video Games to Three Hours a Week

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-sets-new-rules-for-youth-no-more-videogames-during-the-school-week-11630325781?mod=djemalertNEWS

quote:

“China has a new rule for the country’s hundreds of millions of young gamers: No videogames during the school week, and one hour a day on Fridays, weekends and public holidays,” the Wall Street Journal reports.

“China on Monday issued strict new measures aimed at curbing what authorities describe as youth videogame addiction, which they blame for a host of societal ills, including distracting young people from school and family responsibilities.”

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Good. Now ban anime

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gamers rise up

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

full article for those without wsj:

quote:

SINGAPORE—China has a new rule for the country’s hundreds of millions of young gamers: No videogames during the school week, and one hour a day on Fridays, weekends and public holidays.

China on Monday issued strict new measures aimed at curbing what authorities describe as youth videogame addiction, which they blame for a host of societal ills, including distracting young people from school and family responsibilities.

The new regulation, announced by the National Press and Publication Administration, will ban minors from playing videogames entirely between Monday and Thursday. On the other three days of the week, and on public holidays, they will be only permitted to play between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m.

The announcement didn’t offer a specific age for minors, but previous regulations targeting younger videogamers have drawn the line at 18 years old.

Enforcement measures weren’t detailed, but in response to previous moves by the government to limit videogame playing by young people, Tencent Holdings Ltd. , the world’s largest videogame company by revenue, has used a combination of technologies, automatically booting off players after a certain period of time and using real-name registration and facial-recognition technology to limit game play for minors.

Phone calls made to the National Press and Publication Administration went unanswered on Monday after business hours.

In restricting videogame play for younger people, the government is seeking to “effectively protect the physical and mental health of minors,” China’s state-run Xinhua News Agency said Monday.

Monday’s new rule is likely to be felt through China’s online gaming industry, one of the world’s largest. The measure comes as the Chinese government seeks to rein in China’s technology industry, a campaign that has ignited a trillion-dollar selloff in Chinese equities and hit a range of businesses, including for-profit education providers, ride-hailing services and e-commerce platforms.

Videogames have become a particular object of ire as Beijing seeks to reshape an industry it has described as motivated by profit at the expense of public morals. A state-media outlet this month triggered a selloff in shares of Tencent, China’s largest technology company by market capitalization, after it published an article that described online games as “opium for the mind.”

Chinese leader Xi Jinping, too, has warned publicly in recent months about the perils of youth gaming addiction, remarks that have put more pressure on officials to act.

After the regulations were published on Monday, following the close of stock-market trading, Tencent said it had introduced a variety of new functions to better protect minors. It vowed to continue to do so as it “strictly abides by and actively implements the latest requirements from Chinese authorities.”

Tencent backs some of the biggest videogames in the industry and has invested in “Fortnite” maker Epic Games Inc. and “World of Warcraft” creator Activision Blizzard Inc.

In 2018, China stopped issuing videogame licenses for almost nine months amid similar concerns, costing Tencent more than $1 billion in lost sales, according to analyst estimates, and leading to a prolonged slump in its share price.

In 2019, the government banned users younger than 18 from playing videogames between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m., and restricted them from playing more than 90 minutes of videogames on weekdays. Users between 16 and 18 years old aren’t permitted to spend more than 400 yuan, the equivalent of about $60, each month on videogames.

Tencent President Martin Lau warned during an earnings call this month that regulators are focused on limiting the amount of time and money that minors devote to online games across all platforms.

The company also said minors were only a small percentage of its online game revenue. Players under the age of 16 accounted for just 2.6% of its gross game receipts in China during the April-to-June quarter, it said, a quarter in which the company’s electronic-game revenue rose at its slowest pace since 2019.

e: removed some of the ad junk in the middle I missed the first time.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 30, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

full article for those without wsj:

You live up to your username :)

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
however the xi jinping thought gatcha app is purely educational and is in no way what so ever gamified

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

If there was to be an event to start the uprising, this would be it.

I wonder how much it will affect mobile phone sales? Clearly Pooh doesn't want to break the surveillance network in place.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is that going to stop children watching others playing games?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Booty Pageant posted:

however the xi jinping thought gatcha app is purely educational and is in no way what so ever gamified

30 RMB per roll! Unlock all the words to fully immerse yourself into the 14 points as you rush to understand the beauty behind the policy!

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Booty Pageant posted:

My last three loot boxes have all been summaries of Hua Guofeng's speeches, what is this bullshit :mad:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
It seems like Xi and Co are rearranging chairs in the face of the demographic bomb. Too bad it's still too expensive to have kids anywhere, really.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

lol this is cool

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

oh i thought the Xi Jinping gatcha app was just a joke, just joshin' around, but it's real???

quote:

In January 2019, Alibaba released a mobile app for studying Xi Jinping Thought named Xuexi Qiangguo. Within two months of its release, it was downloaded 73 million times

this thread teaches me so much

edit: ahahahahah poo poo

quote:

Once the app is downloaded, it gains access to the ID card number, real name, "bio-data" gleaned from the annual health check, shopping history, phone number, location data and deleted content. Cure53 and the Open Technology Fund reported that the app allows Chinese government access to all of the data on Android-based phones.

ok this now makes absolute sense

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
he's grounding the entire country until they get their grades up

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Having seen the popular what-pass-for-games here, it's hard to object.

Grim loving Skinner boxes with coloured sparks designed to prey on anyone they can ensnare.
A more nuanced approach would be welcome, but I can sure as poo poo understand the impulse.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

low key sex master posted:

oh i thought the Xi Jinping gatcha app was just a joke, just joshin' around, but it's real???

this thread teaches me so much

edit: ahahahahah poo poo

ok this now makes absolute sense

I'll say this for Xi, he really is the first bloody-handed tyrant in history to fully embrace just how loving dystopian you can go using tech.

The US still has to worry about the ineffectual flailings of the Democrats or organisations like the ACLU. Xi doesn't even have to pretend to give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

https://www.protocol.com/bulletins/tencent-s-messaging-platform-blocks-lgbtq-search-terms

quote:

QQ, the Tencent-owned messaging platform used by over half a billion in China, now blocks search terms like "gay" or "LGBTQ," Protocol has learned.
The software, available on both mobile and PC, allows users to find strangers and public group chats with key words. On Aug 30, searches with words like "gay," "lesbian," "LGBTQ," and "蕾丝" (a Chinese slang term for lesbian) come back with a notice: "Use the Internet in a civil manner. Say no to harmful information." QQ shows the same notice when users search for pornographic content. For other words like "同志 (Chinese slang for gay)," QQ only blocks the search results of group chats and doesn't show the notice.

This practice could have started as early as in March 2021, when a Zhihu user posted a screenshot of a similar search result.

QQ was Tencent's first massively popular product and enabled Tencent to rise to the rank of China's most successful tech companies. While its popularity has dimmed after WeChat was released, QQ still has the second-largest number of users among social media platforms in China.

This poo poo keeps popping up in so many places lately it has to be coming from the government. Which seems cool and good.