Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brendan Rodgers posted:

What happened to AWB, the best tackler in the world.

Tackling will become optional when Ron is banging in 5 a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/WestHam/status/1431700613092552720

Even with this I'm *still* hesitant to bold it because it's West Ham, but apparently our first outfield first-team signing of the season is a done deal, and I'm fairly certain Dawson suddenly remembering he's poo poo on Saturday is why all of the last-minute complications over agents fees, medicals, and the phases of the loving moon got dropped quick-smart.

Vlasic is supposed to be close too, and a loan deal for a left back is allegedly on the cards. One day we'll have our business done before the countdown timer appears on Sky Sports News.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1431989976502358016

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Does the "legacy" of Ed Woodward change with United supporters after this window, especially if they somehow win the title? Or more he was a complete tit forever, he was good on the commercial side and got lucky in his last transfer window?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Most United fans seem to think it's Murtough doing the transfers now (it's not) so probably not.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

sticksy posted:

Does the "legacy" of Ed Woodward change with United supporters after this window, especially if they somehow win the title? Or more he was a complete tit forever, he was good on the commercial side and got lucky in his last transfer window?
Literally every single one of his transfer windows has been deemed a success at the time, except last year because they didn't cough up for Sancho.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sticksy posted:

If he gets Saul or someone for that role then his legacy is "mostly poo poo until the last couple of seasons" as far as I'm concerned. Signing a wantaway Ronaldo after City were making eyes at him doesn't change that.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

The potential Mbappe deal is insane from both clubs
It's insane that Madrid is offering like 180m euro for a player in his last year and it's crazy PSG didn't jump all over that offer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

hope he does well, terrible injury luck with Villa meant he never really got going and by the time he started to come back he was never going to get enough game time to get back in form

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Hegay posted:

The potential Mbappe deal is insane from both clubs
It's insane that Madrid is offering like 180m euro for a player in his last year and it's crazy PSG didn't jump all over that offer.

PSG have to be thinking they’ve finally picked up the right pieces for a CL trophy. Is that worth 180m+?

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Omnikin posted:

PSG have to be thinking they’ve finally picked up the right pieces for a CL trophy. Is that worth 180m+?

I think they just straight up don't give a poo poo about the money. FFP has proven toothless. What is 180m to them?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Myssu posted:

I think they just straight up don't give a poo poo about the money. FFP has proven toothless. What is 180m to them?

Yeah it's this.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Myssu posted:

FFP has proven toothless.
That’s why we need the Super League (obviously without these bandit clubs).

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

sticksy posted:

tbf signing Sancho, Varane and Actual Ronaldo is not really a departure from traditional Woodwardball of signing big name players off the telly (and that he got a fax from an agent about) instead of having a coherent transfer strategy to pick out upcoming global talent that plug gaps in the existing system

Bruno Fernandes is the one real success in that regard, otherwise it's just emailing Madrid to ask what they want for Varane and then writing out a cheque

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf signing Sancho, Varane and Actual Ronaldo is not really a departure from traditional Woodwardball of signing big name players off the telly (and that he got a fax from an agent about) instead of having a coherent transfer strategy to pick out upcoming global talent that plug gaps in the existing system

Bruno Fernandes is the one real success in that regard, otherwise it's just emailing Madrid to ask what they want for Varane and then writing out a cheque

While true and Ed has certainly been a loving idiot at times he has shown over the last 2-3 seasons that he's capable of learning from his mistakes and that a more cohesive longer term strategy of bringing younger players in was starting to take shape. I recall the clash between Woodward and Mourinho over getting Alderweireld or Maguire with Mourinho wanting the much older Toby. I actually think that was another nail in Mourinho's coffin at the time. Haaland would already be at United had we not been hardballed on a release clause and I actually think we did the right thing there.

I'm wistfully nostalgic that Ronaldo is coming back but I am disappointed that it's reminiscent of when we signed Ibra, harbinger of another false dawn at the club. Yes he was individually brilliant for a season but it didn't do anything at all towards building a squad capable of challenging for honours.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

While true and Ed has certainly been a loving idiot at times he has shown over the last 2-3 seasons that he's capable of learning from his mistakes
He phoned up Bournemouth in January last year and gave them a fifteen minute ultimatum to accept a £25m bid for Josh King. Man Utd ended up with Ighalo, but he was the last resort signing, even though he was probably the best short term option they had (and it worked out).

Hes just not built for football. Hes quality at negotiating commercial deals but he has no idea how to identify and negotiate for talent in football.

I hope hes part of Manchester Utd forever.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

I hope hes part of Manchester Utd forever.

I'm afraid he already handed in his notice over the superleague drama. He's only here out the year.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Omnikin posted:

It's this. PSG is obsessed with winning the CL on a level that's hard to comprehend. They also don't really need the money which is also something Madrid's having trouble comprehending, as they're apparently confused by PSG's transfer tactics of "not setting an asking price" and "not responding to bids".

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
I can't think of too many times where Madrid has had a megabucks bid rejected.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

CyberPingu posted:

I can't think of too many times where Madrid has had a megabucks bid rejected.

I don't know if there's any truth to this, but someone on Football Weekly (I think) put forward the idea that the bids are just posturing so that when it comes to January and they can negotiate a free transfer for him, they can say "look at how much we were prepared to spend on you." Would also keep some of the fans happy.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Mickolution posted:

I don't know if there's any truth to this, but someone on Football Weekly (I think) put forward the idea that the bids are just posturing so that when it comes to January and they can negotiate a free transfer for him, they can say "look at how much we were prepared to spend on you." Would also keep some of the fans happy.

Personally I think it's to distract from Madrid's financial problems.

They just got a €200m loan from the Spanish gov. But if they go "Hey we have all this money to spend on one player. Theres no issues"

Meanwhile knowing that PSG were probably never going to sell him

If PSG did accept then you can just gently caress the negotiations (or claim your fax machine broke) until it breaks down

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

CyberPingu posted:

They just got a €200m loan from the Spanish gov. But if they go "Hey we have all this money to spend on one player. Theres no issues"

If PSG did accept then you can just gently caress the negotiations (or claim your fax machine broke) until it breaks down

Absolutely. They can't show that they're broke, despite everyone knowing it and them admitting it.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 30, 2021

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

They don't have to go broke to be broke but they are broke.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Will lol when they get slapped down by La Liga when they try to sign him like Barca did with Messi.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Will lol when they get slapped down by La Liga when they try to sign him like Barca did with Messi.

They wont. Real Madrid's wage is at like 55% of turnover, well under the 70% limit. Barcelona was at like 110%.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Sadness

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i know arsenal are bad but

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1432330131285151745?s=20

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Can't be worse than Chambers at right back, although I read somewhere that he wants to play in midfield despite not being good enough

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

He's right, if arteta really doesn't rate him then sell him for the £10 million or whatever was offered. He's not going to magically get better or have bigger transfer offers if he never sees the pitch

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

He’s not a bad player and it’s weird that he was completely frozen out like this. But it’s very on brand for Arsenal these days.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Lol, what the gently caress is this? Madrid has had a positive balance the past five years and sold a ton of players. It's all public record - obviously they jumped on the gov loan with the ICO covering 70%, anything else would be retarded. The first 50m has already been repaid.

https://www.realmadrid.com/en/news/2021/07/14/real-madrid-c-f-closes-the-2020/21-financial-year-with-a-positive-result-of-874000-euros

Hegay fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 30, 2021

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

sourdough posted:

He's right, if arteta really doesn't rate him then sell him for the £10 million or whatever was offered. He's not going to magically get better or have bigger transfer offers if he never sees the pitch

There is no purchase offer. Everton want him on loan.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ed_aarons/status/1432348325001535494

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ok.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1432400077805473804?s=21

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Cool but wish Swansea's chairman hadn't turned his phone off the last time Leeds tried to sign him so he cost not £28m

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

That's a great deal.

For (Manchester) United.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

the sex ghost posted:

Cool but wish Swansea's chairman hadn't turned his phone off the last time Leeds tried to sign him so he cost not £28m

Shouldn't have kept pleading poverty and changing the deal then. Could have had him for peanuts when the window opened but it was "loan to buy, pay nothing until July" bollocks until deadline day when Jenkins fell on his sword and saved the day.

Victor Orta crying about it in the documentary is a top lol.

Hope we've got a sell-on clause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If Everton are really hijacking the deal someone needs to get a camera into Orta's office asap.