Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Mikl posted:

Because the legislature is gerrymandered to hell, which allows a party which hasn't had even a plurality (let alone a majority) of voters on its side for literally years enact minority rule when they "win" the elections, and block any and all effort from the ruling party when they lose.

My impression of living in the US tells me that an eviction moratorium may not even be broadly popular; a majority of the electorate won’t like it, either because they ‘own’ or they rent and are up to date with their payments - so gently caress other people getting something for free.
Or because if they are not up to date themselves, they’d rather get evicted than somebody they perceive as ‘undeserving’ receiving relief as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Americans are also extremely stupid and don't understand that a million or two new homeless will have knock-on effects like unemployment, reduced consumption/economic growth, and oh yeah, fewer people with a place to isolate and thus greater spread of any kind of airborne virus that might be going around.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

One of the constants of America is everyone freaking the gently caress out about having to see homeless people and demanding it be made illegal, while also doing everything they possibly can to make as many people homeless as possible

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dead Reckoning's position is hilarious when Roberts gutted the VRA after it was overwhelmingly passed by Congress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dead Reckoning's position is hilarious

You can generally stop there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's almost as if they're intentionally posting in a certain way and ignoring things that don't fit their position.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:wtc:
https://twitter.com/jake_zuckerman/status/1432298581793378304

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Uh, lawyers? You aren't doctors, guys. Not your place to make medical decisions

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Reading the article, it’s not quite as bad as the headline sounds- the judge ordered them to fulfill a prescription that a doctor had written. Whether hospitals should be able to veto prescriptions is a separate argument from whether the prescription is for quack bullshit horse paste

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

haveblue posted:

Reading the article, it’s not quite as bad as the headline sounds- the judge ordered them to fulfill a prescription that a doctor had written. Whether hospitals should be able to veto prescriptions is a separate argument from whether the prescription is for quack bullshit horse paste

They absolutely should be able to reject unverified bullshit treatments (and in fact they can do this in Ohio as an ethical objection, but didn't make that arguement for some reason), especially when you can find a garbage quack doctor to sign off on literally anything. The doctor who signed off on the prescription should have their medical license revoked but it's Ohio so they'll probably get a medal instead.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

haveblue posted:

If anything the headline undersells it, in my opinion. The doctor doesn't have admitting privileges at the hospital, and doesn't even practice in Cincinnati. A hospital has no requirement to fulfill a prescription from a third-party doctor that they disagree with on medical grounds, much less administer it. This is no different from when pharmacists have to put their foot down when people show up with some random doctor's prescription for pain-meds.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kaal posted:

If anything the headline undersells it, in my opinion. The doctor doesn't have admitting privileges at the hospital, and doesn't even practice in Cincinnati. A hospital has no requirement to fulfill a prescription from a third-party doctor that they disagree with on medical grounds, much less administer it. This is no different from when pharmacists have to put their foot down when people show up with random doctors prescriptions for pain-meds.

The doctor is also a founding member of a medical group that exists largely to push Ivermectin as a COVID treatment and cite a bunch of questionable-at-best studies to back it. They're absolutely a snakeoil salesman and their actions rightfully set off alarm bells.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Evil Fluffy posted:

They absolutely should be able to reject unverified bullshit treatments (and in fact they can do this in Ohio as an ethical objection, but didn't make that arguement for some reason), especially when you can find a garbage quack doctor to sign off on literally anything. The doctor who signed off on the prescription should have their medical license revoked but it's Ohio so they'll probably get a medal instead.

I would assume they didn't want to support the ethical objections law, and didn't want to dilute their legal argument which is that their objection is medical rather than philosophical. A hospital does not have to poison a patient three times a day just because the patient's spouse found a doctor 60 miles away that is willing to write a prescription.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Honest question.

Patient gets prescribed X treatment.

Hospital goes, no we're not giving them this treatment because it's against medical ethics.

Judge rules they have to do it.

Hospital says okay, and gives the patient the treatment.

Patient dies as a result of the treatment.

Patient's family sues.

The hospital is in the clear here, right? They did their due diligence and refused to give the treatment, and had to be ordered to by a judge. If anything it's the original prescribing doctor who's in hot water for this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

Hospitals can’t but pharmacists are professionals that absolutely can use professional judgement to deny fulfilling a prescription.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

haveblue posted:

Ivermectin is prescribed for humans in certain cases of parasitic infections, if a hospital is filling a prescription for a human it's not horse paste.

It is of course still quack bullshit to use ivermectin for humans on covid-19

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Mikl posted:

Honest question.

Patient gets prescribed X treatment.

Hospital goes, no we're not giving them this treatment because it's against medical ethics.

Judge rules they have to do it.

Hospital says okay, and gives the patient the treatment.

Patient dies as a result of the treatment.

Patient's family sues.

The hospital is in the clear here, right? They did their due diligence and refused to give the treatment, and had to be ordered to by a judge. If anything it's the original prescribing doctor who's in hot water for this.

No, the hospital could be held liable for negligence in any number of ways. I'd assume they'll require the patient's spouse (who I believe is making all the medical decisions at this point) to sign all sorts of waivers, and they'll be careful to document everything. But any time there's a death there's going to be the chance of getting sued. The surviving family would likely argue that the hospital made some sort of mistake in the treatment that would penetrate the medical waivers. Or perhaps there'd be objections to the delay in treatment, or the validity of the guardianship, or the failure to sufficiently contest in court. I'm sure lawyers will be all over this regardless of the outcome.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

hobbesmaster posted:

Hospitals can’t but pharmacists are professionals that absolutely can use professional judgement to deny fulfilling a prescription.

This sadly is occasionally twisted to justify not filling out certain medications for women on religious grounds, though I don't recall off-hand as to if the courts smacked down that stuff or not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Taerkar posted:

This sadly is occasionally twisted to justify not filling out certain medications for women on religious grounds, though I don't recall off-hand as to if the courts smacked down that stuff or not.
I believe they did but I don’t remember the case

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

real talk, what do you do when a judge lawfully orders you to at best complicate treatment and at worst poison people with unconventional drug mixing?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Somewhat of a tangent but what happens when a judge orders people to do unethical things? How are insane or otherwise irrational judges dealt with? For example if a pregnant woman needs an abortion for medical reasons and the doctors agree but a judge orders a C-section to be performed instead and furthermore the doctors insist that a C-section will kill the patient. If the doctor refuses to perform a C-section are they found in contempt of court? If a doctor complies with a court ordered medical procedure against their best judgement can they be sued by the family of the patient? Can the judge be sued or criminally charged for essentially knowingly ordering someone's death?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the obvious elephant in the room is "you're killing Americans!!!1" is exactly how conservatives frame things that are widely accepted as medically sound

so long as some wealthy chuddy plaintiff with a bizarre crusade can find a kook with credentials, this is just going to be reality in America

God loving drat it, Rupert.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Somewhat of a tangent but what happens when a judge orders people to do unethical things? How are insane or otherwise irrational judges dealt with? For example if a pregnant woman needs an abortion for medical reasons and the doctors agree but a judge orders a C-section to be performed instead and furthermore the doctors insist that a C-section will kill the patient. If the doctor refuses to perform a C-section are they found in contempt of court? If a doctor complies with a court ordered medical procedure against their best judgement can they be sued by the family of the patient? Can the judge be sued or criminally charged for essentially knowingly ordering someone's death?

I'm not a lawyer but one of my friends in middle school eventually become one; but the answers are: Doctors yes found in contempt (though they have their right to appeal it), yes they can be sued by the family if they perform it, and the judge can as well (since you can sue just about anyone)...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol so, what, do the APA and AMA need to create a militia?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DandyLion posted:

I'm not a lawyer but one of my friends in middle school eventually become one; but the answers are: Doctors yes found in contempt (though they have their right to appeal it), yes they can be sued by the family if they perform it, and the judge can as well (since you can sue just about anyone)...

Curiously the hospital was ordered to do this. A hospital as an entity doesn't practice medicine, if every pharmacist at the hospital declines to do it what happens... https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21051019-j-smith-judgement-order

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

real talk, what do you do when a judge lawfully orders you to at best complicate treatment and at worst poison people with unconventional drug mixing?

Appeal their ruling and ignore them as you drag out the appeal process as long as it takes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Appeal their ruling and ignore them as you drag out the appeal process as long as it takes.

In this case it probably won't be long before the order is moot...

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Platystemon posted:

It’s bonkers that when the executive (R) repeatedly promises “I’m going to ban Muslims” and then much later justifies it (after several false starts) with “there’s secret national security reasons”, the court’s like “Yup. Seems legit to us.”

Then when executive (D) is goes “Hey you know this thing that’s killing more Americans in a day than terrorists did in a decade? Yeah, I have a few measures aimed to help with that”, suddenly the court enhances their scrutiny.

Here, they clarified their decision for you:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1432410912590340105?s=19

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The dictionary definition of "don't threaten us with a good time". What kind of hellworld would we live in where the CDC had the power to coordinate an effective pandemic response?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Its easy to have decisions that make no ideological sense when your ideology is to start with the result you want and work backwards to create an ideological justification and just PRETEND that there's a consistent throughline to it all

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm more mad about "the right to exclude"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Is that Gorsuch? He loves stupid rhetorical questions.

https://twitter.com/jaywillis/status/1432398654388649987?s=20

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Gorsuch also loves nothing more than stripping power from executive agencies.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dead Reckoning's position is hilarious when Roberts gutted the VRA after it was overwhelmingly passed by Congress.

Mmm remembering Scalia arguing that the 99-0 vote in the senate meant that congress' intent was NOT to pass the law because they all must have been intimidated into voting for it by people playing the race card.

Love that conservative judicial respect for the process and the rule of law.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I know the SCOTUS is largely an illegitimate body at this point but loving lol at "well if he can do that does that mean he can order these other unquestionably good-for-the-people things? Madness!"

The answer, of course, is yes the CDC should have the power to organize a response to a loving pandemic it's literally a major reason for their existence.

VitalSigns posted:

Mmm remembering Scalia arguing that the 99-0 vote in the senate meant that congress' intent was NOT to pass the law because they all must have been intimidated into voting for it by people playing the race card.

Love that conservative judicial respect for the process and the rule of law.

That ruling was probably the single best time for a POTUS to turn to the SCOTUS and say "no gently caress you and your blatantly political and legally unsound power grab" and of course Obama did nothing because he was mediocre status-quo president who looks a lot better than he was due to having a truly awful predecessor and successor.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Obama did nothing because there was nothing Obama could do because its three co-equal branches of government and most importantly most Americans would have swung even harder against Obama for "politicalizing the court", do you think the media would have taken his side? Its revisionist history to act like Obama did nothing because he wanted it or whatever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well thank god they still haven't reauthorized the VRA with their trifecta hold on the government, wouldn't want to take risks like doing literally anything at all even the thing the court said to do ("just pass the law again with different criteria")

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

VitalSigns posted:

Well thank god they still haven't reauthorized the VRA with their trifecta hold on the government, wouldn't want to take risks like doing literally anything at all even the thing the court said to do ("just pass the law again with different criteria")

Does reauthorizing require 60 votes or 50? If its 60 votes, how can they? And no, "by abolishing the filibuster!" isn't a credible option. It isn't about taking a risk, its political suicide that would result in Republicans swinging into power with *more* power.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Look, justices, if you’re going to make arguments via absurdity, I suggest actually making them absurd.

The president could compel the production of computers under the Defence Production Act.

Just last week, the Civil Reserve Air Fleet was activated to aid in the evacuation of Afghanistan. Now that’s a program that has more detailed codification than the Surgeon General’s powers, but that just goes to show that the court doesn’t need to fix Congress’s grant to the Surgeon General. They gave the office discretion. If they had wanted to micromanage pandemic response, they could have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Does reauthorizing require 60 votes or 50?

51, same procedure Republicans used to confirm Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch

Evil Fluffy posted:

That ruling was probably the single best time for a POTUS to turn to the SCOTUS and say "no gently caress you and your blatantly political and legally unsound power grab" and of course Obama did nothing because he was mediocre status-quo president who looks a lot better than he was due to having a truly awful predecessor and successor.
Man it makes me so sad to think back on a 99-0 vote to reauthorize the VRA and a Republican president signing it in a Rose Garden ceremony flanked by black civil rights leaders.

Yeah I know Bush was a motherfucker, arguably worse than Trump, and a huge racist anyway, but like just the consensus that you had to at least pretend to not be racist to win elections in America is gone now.

Shortly after Republicans would decide racism was back baby and they'd do better if they just went openly klan hood to mine those sweet sweet votes and gently caress if they didn't turn out to be 100% correct.