Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so this is another colorist thing right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yeah, it looks like Garfield's colorist isn't bothering to read the strip.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, it looks like Garfield's colorist isn't bothering to read the strip.

He's not the only one

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I find it hard to imagine that a colorist would take the time to do that (not that the coloring in Garfield is particularly detailed) and not even glance over the words. It makes me wonder what really goes on. Does the colorist get a wordless version and Jim Davis just prays that they use the right color if a joke depends on it? Is comics coloring outsourced to a non-English speaking country? Does the colorist work under such a time crunch that they don't have time to stop and read? Or do they truly just not care that much?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

Does the colorist get a wordless version and Jim Davis just prays that they use the right color if a joke depends on it? Is comics coloring outsourced to a non-English speaking country? Does the colorist work under such a time crunch that they don't have time to stop and read?
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was all three.

Back in the day, i.e. the 90s, we used to have a monthly Garfield magazine that collected strips and would have the occasional colorist error, and they always explained it by colorists generally receiving the strips without text. If color was integral to the joke, there's be a note like "please color donut green." Presumably that's where time crunch, miscommunication etc. come in.

Though frankly these days when Garfield is most likely 99% assembled from clipart components it seems hard to believe that would still be the process, or that those wouldn't already be colored, so who knows.

e: might even be as silly a thing as "we've already designated background colors for the week, today's is green, a green donut would blend in, gently caress your joke"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's actually funny this way.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

A missing strip here, but this whole brawl takes four sentences in the book, so there's nothing plot critical here.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

Hell yeah.

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

:allears:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: identity theft (April 28 - May 4, 2003)

Yes, sure, why not.

Modern Kevin & Kell

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mikl posted:

Modern Kevin & Kell

Clearly, my knowledge of musicals is lacking, doubly so for recent musicals. Which one's being referred to?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Haven't they restored people to their original form countless times? Why am I even asking

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

maltesh posted:

Clearly, my knowledge of musicals is lacking, doubly so for recent musicals. Which one's being referred to?

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/29/01

Brenda Starr 2/23/47

Smokey Stover 2/14/43

Bonus ad! Bombers for breakfast!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm back, and I have some catching up to do.

Arlo and Janis

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 1 - Brassic

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website

John Allison posted:

Comics Mon-Thu this week.

Not much is known of Jason beyond his appearance in flashback in Steeple issue 3 (available Volume 1). Billie inherited his yellow waterproof in the very first issue, so every Steeple story features a little bit of Jason. Perhaps this tale will tell us more about him.

The "Flovoid Orb Hominid" in Jason's notebook was actually the first monster encountered by Billie in Steeple issue 1

It reappears in issue 5, were it seems to be leading the other Mermen in an assault on the cemetery.

It's driven back by a recently reformed Maggie, at the cost of her Harley.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Medenmath posted:

lmao

edit: I also love that Encyclopedia's solution includes assaulting an injured kid. Truly a cop's son.
:laugh:

maltesh posted:

It definitely seemed familiar, but I couldn't find the original story in the Encyclopedia Brown Encyclopedia, so I couldn't confirm. I remember the solution being as it was in the strip.

That said, My memory could be fuzzy on this one too, or different editions might have fixed the issue. I swear I remember reading an encyclopedia brown story where he claimed that trees grow from the bottom, and either a revision in a later edition, or a different story, where he claimed trees grow from the top.
I believe there's one story that relies on it being impossible to get keys out of a pants pocket with your opposite hand.

I've done that myself in the past.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zereth posted:

:laugh:

I believe there's one story that relies on it being impossible to get keys out of a pants pocket with your opposite hand.

I've done that myself in the past.

IIRC, it was doing it while running which is a lot harder.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Bonus ad! Bombers for breakfast!

I've seen enough movies to know that this is advertising for children to make death flags for weary sergeants.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Now I'm picturing the Nazis rifling through the captured pilot of a downed bomber's possessions, finding a microfilm that surely holds secret information, and being all like "was zum Teufel" when they view it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Bad Machinery

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

piss duke

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Dec 17, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 28-29, 1989)

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

na naaa na-na-na na-na na
Calvinmari Damacy

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the longer time goes on the more and more i dislike curtis, the comic strip

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 8/29/01

Oh, Bucky! I do the same thing. The walk-in is almost more useful for crying than food storage when you gotta keep up your tough-guy image.

Seriously, this comic is one of my favorites of the modern era. Just so sweet.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 2/23/47

I also love this strip. It gets *almost* as weird as Deathless Deer, but with, like, semi-competent narratives.

Classic Zits

As always, Connie’s boobs really enhance the joke.

Sylvia

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Cicadalek posted:

Haven't they restored people to their original form countless times? Why am I even asking

I think they've used backups of their own DNA for that, and the implication is that this is a generic potion that will work for anyone so they don't have to keep backups anymore.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 28-29, 1989)

I've always liked this week of strips. I recall Watterson saying in one of the books that he originally wanted this whole sequence to go on for a month to see how much people would put up with, but he chickened out.

I'm not sure I quite "get" this strip, but it's been cute so far.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 29, 1946)

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Huh. He's right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rtnme4JqXg&t=78s

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Aleta continues to be the very best

like no one ever was

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P.

These are almost unreadable, but considering the content that's an improvement.
"Sometimes I think the system is broken"
"It can't be! After all, some people get rich!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd like to see the Little Orphan Annie / Little Lefty crossover.

Vater und Sohn: Hopeless case (1935/25)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

somepartsareme posted:

I find it hard to imagine that a colorist would take the time to do that (not that the coloring in Garfield is particularly detailed) and not even glance over the words. It makes me wonder what really goes on. Does the colorist get a wordless version and Jim Davis just prays that they use the right color if a joke depends on it? Is comics coloring outsourced to a non-English speaking country? Does the colorist work under such a time crunch that they don't have time to stop and read? Or do they truly just not care that much?

:eng101: Cats are believed to be red-green colorblind, so a donut with green frosting or with pink frosting would look about the same to Garfield.

I mean, I strongly doubt that that was the intended joke, but it works as a serendipitous kind of thing.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

But... neither of those are famous sleuths or detectives? They're both authors. Why not pick one of their characters?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

But... neither of those are famous sleuths or detectives? They're both authors. Why not pick one of their characters?

Holbrook's level of understanding of murder mysteries is the same as his level of understanding of biology.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Technowolf posted:

Holbrook's level of understanding of murder mysteries is the same as his level of understanding of biology.

He watched a lot of Murder, She Wrote.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Run away, Billy!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Edit: ^^^:lol:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Geez you lock your girlfriend's cat in a room and threaten to kill it once and suddenly you're the bad guy.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I wonder if it's a relative he's ashamed of. :thunk:

Andertoons

If you think about it, Superman flying looks nothing like a bird or a plane.

Apartment 3-G

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pancho Jueves posted:

Run away, Billy!

I work really hard not to post any Dysfunctional Family Circus style edits, but this one would have been really easy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Herman the Heathen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The necktie that spread from Europe traces back to Croatian mercenaries serving in France during the Thirty Years' War (1618–1648). These mercenaries from the Military Frontier, wearing their traditional small, knotted neckerchiefs, aroused the interest of the Parisians.[2] Because of the difference between the Croatian word for Croats, Hrvati, and the French word, Croates, the garment gained the name cravat (cravate in French).[3] The boy-king Louis XIV began wearing a lace cravat around 1646, when he was seven, and set the fashion for French nobility. This new article of clothing started a fashion craze in Europe; both men and women wore pieces of fabric around their necks. From its introduction by the French king, men wore lace cravats, or jabots, that took a large amount of time and effort to arrange. These cravats were often tied in place by cravat strings, arranged neatly and tied in a bow.

:ms: