Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Dragoon has a button for this, but it usually just flings you off of a cliff.

Age of Wushu spoiled me with wuxia flight moves. Now there was a movement system. Double jump, triple jump, speed up without trace, wild goose step, etc. Of course it was a sandbox game and in FFXIV you've got like a 50% chance of being able to step over a stream or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6_aVHkwdO8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Duodecimal posted:

If I'd thought I'd enjoy the game I'd have probably come up with a better name.

i'm ingame as Blurth Flurminurth and it turned out perfect, i'm lovin it

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Duodecimal posted:

I was very underwhelmed for my 30 day trial. Got up to somewhere in the upper 20s and let the trial lapse.

Got back into it about two weeks ago focusing 100% on finishing the story. The story does become slightly more comprehensible in the last ... 30% I'd say, once you start remembering who all these factions are.

Then you beat the game and get flying and things become less tedious. Red Mage is really neat. I thought I had it figured out a few days ago doing alternating between Jolt and white spell then Jolt and black spell, until I realized today that the procced white/black spells ALSO proc instant cast, and you can drop Jolt from the rotation when those are up.

Compared to black mage gameplay it's much, much more interesting. Black Mage didn't get interesting, let alone the least bit fun, until level 42 when you finally get the instant proc for Fire 3. Up until the, you get these spells that you never have any reason to ever cast - they cost more, take longer to cast, and do proportionately less damage than their lower level versions. I still have no reason to cast the Blizzard 3 because I suppose I don't learn the instant version of that spell later. If ever. Honestly I'm very tempted to drop the job entirely for Red Mage, since I've always been keen on a multidisciplinary class. It slices, it dices, it heals.

But I'm getting into the game a lot more now, especially since i'm not picking up any inclination of the Devs having a congenital hostility towards me or a habitual lack of respect for my time. Which is a plus.

On the minus side, I forgot that I logged out in my Weaver gear and was greeted by this on login:

Just to note, you should really be casting B3 pretty often, it’s how you switch to Umbral and F3 is how you switch to astral phases. There’s a bunch of interplay in those two abilities that are kind of important.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Duodecimal posted:

On the minus side, I forgot that I logged out in my Weaver gear and was greeted by this on login:

lol, my dogs name is Harvey and we call him Harbles from time to time. This is the first time I have seen someone else use that name.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Dragoon has a button for this, but it usually just flings you off of a cliff.

Red Mage gets to do it even more since their version is paired with an ogcd melee attack

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Xarbala posted:

On the plus side if anybody wants to try a new class, Rogue is probably the second best non-Job class questline behind Pugilist and comes with the upside of transitioning over to the still pretty decent Ninja Job Class quests. Pugilist moves into Monk which is imo one of the least engaging Job Questlines.

Ninja also gets to Naruto run around if you sprint with your weapon out.

Rogue/Ninja does have the benefit of having been added a little after 2.0, so it had somewhat less crunch involved with it's design and job quests at the time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also fwiw Hartles Fartlebender is an extremely strong name and a good way to farm comms in dungeons

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Xarbala posted:

On the plus side if anybody wants to try a new class, Rogue is probably the second best non-Job class questline behind Pugilist and comes with the upside of transitioning over to the still pretty decent Ninja Job Class quests. Pugilist moves into Monk which is imo one of the least engaging Job Questlines.

Ninja also gets to Naruto run around if you sprint with your weapon out.

The Rogue class quests were what sold me on the game, and you need to reach lvl 15 (?) on any other class to begin with before you can take them anyways, so I can heartily recommend trying them at the earliest opportunity. everyone should get acquainted with the coves an' morts, getting yer stabbers a-stabbin' when the spitters an' cutters are skulking about in the darkmans.

or something. I was having plenty of fun before the 80 hour mark is what I'm saying.

also, fishing. it's right next to the Rogue's guild too!

edit: also, crunch was definitely a huuuuuuuge factor in the quality of the game's early life. there's a case to be made that 2.0 was the biggest development turnaround in videogame history. it's a miracle ARR is what it is, considering the building was figuratively burning down when they pushed it out the door.

Ramie fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 29, 2021

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Hunter Noventa posted:

Rogue/Ninja does have the benefit of having been added a little after 2.0, so it had somewhat less crunch involved with it's design and job quests at the time.

Also you get to kick enemies in the face.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The Rogue questline was written by Natsuko Ishikawa, the amazing writer that later gave us the Dark Knight quests and became the main scenario writer for Shadowbringers and Endwalker. She owns and everything she touches is worth seeing. In 2019 she was part of the FFXIV dev contingent that went to PAX and she got a well deserved standing ovation when they introduced her.

So yeah, Rogue has a good confluence of "Interesting if basic class quest written by a great writer" and "base job design slightly informed by how the 2.0 classes turned out during that mad scramble to relaunch the game".

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Rogue quests are also much better at having you do interesting, meaningful things even at low levels than most of the starter jobs that I've tried. (Archer is particularly bad for this -- "go and hit targets while an NPC is racist at you" for, what, like the first three job quests? Maybe four? Archer is really not the game at its best, is my point.)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah I think most, if not all, of the class/job quests were ported over from 1.0, except for Arcanist and its jobs, rogue/ninja (because they weren't in 1.0), and for some reason, White Mage.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Gunslinger posted:

This is definitely one of the things I'm struggling with and I played FFXI a long time ago. The maps are really weird and oddly low resolution to boot.

In case it helps, there's a map resolution setting in the graphics tab, all the way at the bottom in this screenshot. I think it defaulted to low quality for me.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Sunday Morning posted:

There's lots of side stuff to keep you occupied for a few months. Level a few jobs to 60, try and get the fishing mount with ocean fishing, dabble in crafting and gathering, level up your gc squadron and get the achievement emotes, there's a bunch of content in this game that doesn't require an 80 job to enjoy. You can probably pass these few months pretty easy.
Yeah for sure, but I would have liked to keep going on the MSQ. I'll probably just re-sub when it's all available. Is there a pattern for when they stop selling the previous expansion when a new one is on the horizon?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Pobrecito posted:

"Figuring out" crafting and being able to consistently turn in HQ items for leves and GC turn ins was a big revalation.

e: Also the Ixal Beast Tribe quests are all crafting focused and a good source of crafting exp

What's the trick to crafting? Been leveling culinarian and trying to get hq food for turn ins sucks. It just feels like a whole lot of gambling on 50% success rate skills, at least around level 18ish where I am now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is gardening only available if you own a house?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Regalingualius posted:

Is gardening only available if you own a house?

you can plant seeds in flower pots and place them in your apartment or fc room to grow them, but in order to fully engage with the system (cross-breeding) you need a garden, which can only be placed outdoors at houses.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So yesterday I screwed up my nerves (and took some doses of liquid courage) and tossed my hat in for another go at Copperbell. I died against the slimes cause I guess my foot was still in the boom zone. But by that point everything was nearly dead anyway and the white mage rezzed me. Nobody in the group said anything this time either, but they did at least listen to the chat, and the only non sprout /hugged after the rez, which was very nice to see.

After that... whoo boy. A lot more, now celebratory drinks, and all told I spent about 6 hours mashing through story because dammit I wanted my fuckin' bird already. Related to that, I wanna slap whoever had the bright idea to make the Waking Sands need two fuckin' load screens for what amounts to a hallway and literally a single room. By the time I got to pick a company I was near fuming from having to go through 4-5 load screens every 15 fuckin' minutes. Definitely think I'm taking a bit of break from MSQ, cause I may just quit if I have to do that a bunch more right now, goddamn.

Anyway, meet Kwehntry

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Glad you had a better dungeon experience this time! Most old timers love to run sprouts through something.

And you'll be happy to learn that the scions eventually move their HQ right next to an aetheryte (though you do still have to go through a loading door).

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Glad the next attempt at Copperbell went better! That's much more of the norm.

Keep in mind that FFXIV was available and ran on the PS3 until legacy support was removed in 4.0/2017. The broken out zones/instances you're talking about were created to support a console that was running a full modern MMO on 256MB of RAM.

At one point they couldn't add a new UI feature without removing a different one because the PS3 literally could not support both of them in memory at once.

Later expansion zones are much larger and much less prone to strict instancing once PS4 became the baseline platform.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Wrist Watch posted:

What's the trick to crafting? Been leveling culinarian and trying to get hq food for turn ins sucks. It just feels like a whole lot of gambling on 50% success rate skills, at least around level 18ish where I am now.

These are my macros for my alt as I've been working my way through the ARR crafting log. Something like them have had a 100% HQ rate from 20ish to her current 40ish without using the efficient but unreliable skills. I think the only skill in there that you don't have at L18 is Innovation.

70 Durability:
code:
/ac "Inner Quiet" <wait.2>
/ac "Waste Not" <wait.2>
/ac "Basic Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Standard Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Waste Not" <wait.2>
/ac Innovation <wait.2>
/ac "Basic Synthesis"
/echo Macro Finished <se.1>
40 Durability:
code:
/ac "Inner Quiet" <wait.2>
/ac "Waste Not" <wait.2>
/ac "Waste Not" <wait.2>
/ac Innovation <wait.2>
/ac "Standard Touch"
/echo Macro Finished <se.1>
Crafts are then finished manually with repeated Basic Synthesis. On some recipes I might be able to get another touch in which is why that's not always included.

There aren't any real tricks to the skill usage. I think the one thing I do that isn't obvious is that I "waste" a turn of Waste Not on a buff. That means I finish the craft after the same number of touches but at -5 instead of 0 durability, which is not penalized in any way. Your final synthesis just has to succeed, the game doesn't care if you overshoot.

The general strategy for all crafting from L11 to L80 will be to start by building Inner Quiet stacks up cheaply, then finish by buffing up and doing your most expensive touches to consume those stacks (literally, when you get Byregot's Blessing). What changes as you level are what skills you use to do those things. Those macros are one reasonable strategy with the L30 skillset and my particular CP. Don't use them blindly, details like number of synthesis steps you need afterwards will depend on your stats and the recipe difficulty. For instance, with less CP it might be better to use 1 Master's Mend instead of 2 Waste Nots. They're just what I currently have set up for the last thing I crafted.

The main thing to making crafting HQs reliable is having up to date-ish HQ gear and +CP food, which is much easier to accomplish if you level all the crafters in tandem. Getting some gear from a friend or the MB helps getting started but I bootstrapped my alt without any of that easily enough. I do have a very large advantage over any actual sprout since I know how the system works. Prioritise getting CP food, HQ tools and +CP jewelry. Materia Is are a good investment if you can get them cheap (100-300 gil per). As a crafter you can just insert and remove low level Materia from gear for free whenever and low level crafting materia remains relevant in the end game.

If you don't have up-to-date-ish HQ gear then you'll want to use the more efficient but less reliable strategy of Hasty Touch for your first quality steps to build up Inner Quiet stacks, and only switch to the Basic > Standard combo at 5 stacks or so. Watch for Good (consume for CP with Tricks of the Trade, unless you're at high IQ stacks with Innovation or Great Strides in which case touch as planned) and Excellent (touch as hard as you can). As you've noticed the 50% skills are not reliable but using them will do better than dumb macros at lower gear levels. Reacting to Good & Excellent conditions will do better than macros in general, it's just that I've gone sufficiently over the gear minimum to get away with being lazy.

I really want to stress that most people do not bother to optimise low level crafting. Normal people just level their hand jobs through Ixal quests, buying Grand Company and Levequest turn-ins on the marketboard, doing Firmament stuff after they get to HW, etc. All of that will speed them through the early levels very quickly. A single HQ turn-in to the Grand Company will net you 3-4 levels in the 20s, and you can do one turn-in per job per day.

You really don't need to keep your gear in tip-top shape so you can HQ everything as you level, it's just a thing you can do if you find it fun. I enjoy completing my crafting logs and doing dungeons in a full set of self-crafted HQs like a real nerd, so to me it's worth the time to set up. It's not profitable compared to what I could be doing at L80, but my alt has earned 500k gil over material costs so my junior omnicrafting at least pays for itself.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

Related to that, I wanna slap whoever had the bright idea to make the Waking Sands need two fuckin' load screens for what amounts to a hallway and literally a single room. By the time I got to pick a company I was near fuming from having to go through 4-5 load screens every 15 fuckin' minutes. Definitely think I'm taking a bit of break from MSQ, cause I may just quit if I have to do that a bunch more right now, goddamn.
It's to implement instancing for a "quest hub" basically. There's always like one or two rooms per expansion where you talk to NPCs and trigger quest progression while other people are invisible.

Wrist Watch posted:

All on level recipes should be doable if you completely max out your possible gear. But if you're just leveling the general guide to making a random thing is to have a budget for your progress phase and quality phase and then insert a durability recovery move somewhere in there to make those steps fit. Quality phase is done by building inner quiet to greatly buff your control stat and using up your CP near the end on your best available touch. Progress phase at your point is just counting up how many and which synthesis actions you need for that recipe. I don't remember when you get trial synthesis but you can use that to simulate a craft, you can also check the details of what a particular move will do in that next step by expanding out the tab menus on your crafting interface during a craft.

Your most important stat is CP, which comes from right side accessories mostly. You can purchase frumenty from any of the starting city food vendors for +10CP. The wealth option in the starting dialogue of the game also gives a unique lvl1 CP ring, which is good for something like 20 levels or whatever, but if you don't have it there's nothing to do but level up and get gear from NPC vendors or the marketboard.

Algid fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 30, 2021

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind and keep experimenting. Extremely glad I didn't sell that cp ring I got at the beginning by accident.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I will say a couple of things in regards to crafting if you really want to pursue it.

1) First off, you need to decide if you're gonna be serious about crafting or just dabble. If you really do want to take everything all the way, in my opinion it is best to table leveling it at all until you've progressed to at least patch 3.3 in the main story so you can access the Ishgard Restoration. It is orders of magnitude faster to level crafting here versus other methods, and with luck can be done gil-neutral or even gil-positive to level every job from 20 to 60 - every five turn-ins you do gets you a scratch-off card that can give some valuable items that you can then flip on the market board for cash. I didn't even get any of the really high-dollar items leveling my crafting jobs and still came out of it with a profit. There's a document with recommended stat breakpoints, ability macros, and more for the entire process here.

2) Your very best friend for trying to work with crafting is Teamcraft and its crafting simulator. You can pick the exact thing you're trying to make, punch in your exact stats, and play with all the crafting abilities you'd have access to in a building block-like method to see how everything pieces together and what outcomes you should expect. You can then export that to an in-game macro to use if it something you're gonna repeat a lot.

3) Depending on the server you're on, if you're gonna do some crafting, try to find a kindly goon crafter to kit you out with some HQ crafting gear. The materials for doing so are piss cheap for us, and we get a ton of good brain chemicals seeing a sprout with our gear doing their best. :3:

Crafting is kinda my jam and I'd be glad to answer other questions if you have em!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

…Well poo poo, and here I’d gone on a whole frenzy of leveling up the professions from scratch. If I’d known about that, I would have kept plowing through HW’s story.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ShootaBoy posted:

After that... whoo boy. A lot more, now celebratory drinks, and all told I spent about 6 hours mashing through story because dammit I wanted my fuckin' bird already. Related to that, I wanna slap whoever had the bright idea to make the Waking Sands need two fuckin' load screens for what amounts to a hallway and literally a single room. By the time I got to pick a company I was near fuming from having to go through 4-5 load screens every 15 fuckin' minutes. Definitely think I'm taking a bit of break from MSQ, cause I may just quit if I have to do that a bunch more right now, goddamn.

Good news, the whole "pick your Grand Company" arc is the second worst part of the ARR MSQ.

Bad news, the whole "pick your Grand Company" arc is the second worst part of the ARR MSQ.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

1stGear posted:

Good news, the whole "pick your Grand Company" arc is the second worst part of the ARR MSQ.

Bad news, the whole "pick your Grand Company" arc is the second worst part of the ARR MSQ.

What’d you say is the worst, the arc where you help establish the Crystal Braves with a bunch of filler quests that take you everywhere?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

What’d you say is the worst, the arc where you help establish the Crystal Braves with a bunch of filler quests that take you everywhere?

No, it's earlier, when you contact the Company of Heroes to get help fighting Titan. Running around helping with a bunch of menial chores leading up to a banquet is just really annoying. It used to be worse, they trimmed a bunch of quests from that section. If it didn't include one of the best dungeons in ARR (Brayflox) it would be unbearable.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Oof, yeah, agreed on that now that I remember it again.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Regalingualius posted:

IMO, the lead-up to Titan, where the game is wasting your time both in gameplay terms and narratively, is hands-down the nadir of ARR. I actually didn't mind the ARR patch quests as much I thought I would. Even though there's a bunch of filler quests, you are at least doing something important or meaningful to the story. The Crystal Braves stuff in particular was kind of neat because it was nice seeing tertiary characters that I had almost forgotten about and it felt like I was growing and improving the Scions (and obviously, the Braves are pretty important to the end of ARR). But the Titan buildup is just straight-up "gently caress you, we're stopping the plot so we can dick you around for a while."

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

God that whole section was pain.

And then at the end of it they pull the twist LOL WE WERE JUST TESTING YOU and I'm like gently caress OFF the realm is at stake you assholes! :argh:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I absolutely blacked out on that section of the plot, just turbogrind out the quests and then woke back up when I actually got to fight the primal. I had a similar spell during during 2.1-2.5 stuff until the 45 minutes of awesome cutscenes finally made me stop skipping quest dialogue.

Heavensward has been excellent so far.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The stuff leading up to the fight against Titan is nowhere near as bad as people here give it credit for.

The corrupted crystals bullshit right before Garuda is the worst part of the ARR MSQ.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
I'm at the end of HW and noticing the teleport fees are getting pretty high since everything's further away now.

I know there are ticket things for free teleports, but I'm curious what people's preferred/free aether points are.

I have a preferred in UD and Gridania with my free in Limsa. FC house is in Limsa though so it may be economical for me to put my free teleport elsewhere... My Home point is wherever I feel is the next hub of quests so I can just jump out if I want to. (Gridania is still the most expensive even with the preferred :| )

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

W.T. Fits posted:

The stuff leading up to the fight against Titan is nowhere near as bad as people here give it credit for.

The corrupted crystals bullshit right before Garuda is the worst part of the ARR MSQ.

Yeah, like the first one has an actual point. They're trying to make sure you're not just some self-serving glory hound that's in it for the prestige and the name - that you're actually there to help. Last thing we need is a tempered blowhard or another corpse to bury. The second one is literally just time-wasting bullshit.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zet posted:

I'm at the end of HW and noticing the teleport fees are getting pretty high since everything's further away now.

I know there are ticket things for free teleports, but I'm curious what people's preferred/free aether points are.

I have a preferred in UD and Gridania with my free in Limsa. FC house is in Limsa though so it may be economical for me to put my free teleport elsewhere... My Home point is wherever I feel is the next hub of quests so I can just jump out if I want to. (Gridania is still the most expensive even with the preferred :| )

I think if you download and link 2-factor authentication and/or the companion app you get an extra favorite (half price) teleport location and the ability to set a free teleport destination.

My Homepoint is Foundation. Gridania, Limsa, Mor Dhona, and the second ShB city are my half-cost spots, and Ul'dah is my free spot. It might be worth to move one of your half-cost spots away from Limsa if you can teleport there half-cost thanks to your FC.

I recommend unlocking hunts so you can kill your weekly B-rank hunt for your Grand Company; that'll give you you 20 aetheryte tickets worth of seals for 20 free teleports a week. If you ever get around to doing Blue Mage, the Masked Carnivale will absolutely bury you in Allied Seals. I haven't paid over 200 gil for a teleport in like a year, and once you get to Stormblood it's going to start costing about 1k a teleport for long-distance jumps.

e: you will be doing a lot of long distance jumps in stormblood

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 30, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Even when I'm destitute after buying a fancy new glamour weapon, even 999 gil teleport fees aren't worth worrying about. You get so much just from doing duty roulettes, a mere 1k is nothing.

That said, there are like three main regions, where the cost is maxed out going between them. There's Eorzea (the starter cities, Ishgard, Ala Mhigo), the Far East, and Spoiler Area For ShadowBringers. So you could minimize costs by putting one free/cheap aetheryte in each area. My FC has a house in the Far East, so I usually teleport there and then to the main city.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Zet posted:

My free is Ul'dah and my house is in Shirogane so I'm generally set for teleports; I don't do much in Shadowbringers Spoiler Zone now.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
IIRC they removed some extra steps from both of the Not Well Paced MSQ bits folks cite here, but they're still a slog. Both of them lead into some cool things though and the second of the two actually has the courtesy to do some lore building in the process.

My home teleport is Ul'dah for easy GC access, I have Goblet and Mist teleports for FC and personal housing, my free TP is set for the first SHB hub and I have discount teleports in the endgame city for HW and the second main hub in SB.

I will echo that even when you're spending 1k on a teleport it's a negligible expense ultimately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I've burnt through hundreds of tickets and even if you consider my average cost on them to be around 400 gil it's still a few hundred thousand gil. Considering everything that pays out allied seals also pays out something else and takes extremely minimal time and effort, it's not nothing.