Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC they weren't allowed to reference the Dominion War because they thought it'd confuse audiences/no one watched DS9.

That would make sense. Although if it also meant they weren’t going to bring in DS9 characters to be killed off I’m fine with that. Like how Section 31 went from being so secret most of starfleet never heard of them to Discovery having them with their own fleet and custom badges to wear while getting in endless hallway fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/oneframesimpson/status/1431852971197882368?s=21

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Simpsons movie sucks, ST:DISCO sucks, Picard show sucks, Lower Decks is mildly fun.

Hth

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Star Trek's big problem is that people nowadays take it way too loving seriously, and either try to make it a Big Important Deal or subvert it with comedy, completely missing the point that all of the shows that people actually liked combined serious plots with lighthearted comic relief, and gave characters time to breathe and be established. Even Enterprise understood this.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Star Trek's big problem is that people nowadays take it way too loving seriously, and either try to make it a Big Important Deal or subvert it with comedy, completely missing the point that all of the shows that people actually liked combined serious plots with lighthearted comic relief, and gave characters time to breathe and be established. Even Enterprise understood this.

The titles from season one of discovery are a great example of this. They're all poo poo like I Know Not Who Weeps For The Bleeding Man or some horseshit

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

To be fair the original series had For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the sky but TOS plays by its own rules and owns hard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The freakin mobile games and MMOs do okay if only because they have use for plots that are equal parts comedy and serious and remember Tribbles are an apocalyptic threat.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

womb with a view posted:

To be fair the original series had For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the sky but TOS plays by its own rules and owns hard

the hardest titles were from those later seasons of DS9 where they were al lengthy Latin quotations like "Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 1", and "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges". owns

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tribbles are an apocalyptic threat.

I went to a local con many, many years ago, and the high point as far as I was concerned was when someone dumped several hundred handmade Tribbles into the hotel lobby, sparking a savage Tribble fight. a couple years later I learned I had repeatedly pelted a kid who'd become my brother's best friend.

as long as I'm derailing this far, there was also a woman professionally cosplaying as a sexy Klingon and selling photos, some of them topless. all of this is pre-www. Trek perverts really are on the cutting edge.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well of course they are, and Gene Rod'n'berries is patient zero.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

You Are A Elf posted:

Movie would have been so much better had the writers just stuck with what fans wanted and are familiar with instead of pandering to a generic audience not too familiar with the Simpsons.

Like, whose bright idea was it to make Rainier Wolfcastle President Schwarzenegger?

Fox mandated no returning characters or something like that, which is why we got President Schwarzenegger and the EPA guy instead of Wolfcastle and Hank Scorpio

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Fox mandated no returning characters or something like that, which is why we got President Schwarzenegger and the EPA guy instead of Wolfcastle and Hank Scorpio

That is… extremely idiotic. Should have called Krusty “Pennywise” and Bumblebee Man “Bee Suit Vicente Fernandez” if that were the case.

Totally forgot about the EPA guy voiced by Albert Brooks. But then again, I’ve forgotten most of what the drat movie is even about :v:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
thats dumb.

also i have never seen the movie and thought the prez was still Wolfcastle considering its literally the samevoice actor??

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

thats dumb.

also i have never seen the movie and thought the prez was still Wolfcastle considering its literally the samevoice actor??

Same character design and vice, but whenever they cut to him in the Oval Office there's a big "President Schwarzenegger" nameplate on his desk.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Spiderpig shows up every few years, and I’m almost surprised he doesn’t show up more

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He was evne in that Spider-verse movie

wait

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wouldn't have wanted Hank Scorpio to return as an antagonist anyway. He and Homer adored each other and would never fight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You Are A Elf posted:

That is… extremely idiotic. Should have called Krusty “Pennywise” and Bumblebee Man “Bee Suit Vicente Fernandez” if that were the case.

Totally forgot about the EPA guy voiced by Albert Brooks. But then again, I’ve forgotten most of what the drat movie is even about :v:

A lot of big beloved media properties are owned and managed by the only people on the planet who don't know anything about them.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wouldn't have wanted Hank Scorpio to return as an antagonist anyway. He and Homer adored each other and would never fight.

i wish I had a manic pixie dream boat like hank scorpio as an employer. :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of big beloved media properties are owned and managed by the only people on the planet who don't know anything about them.

Case in point, it was recently revealed by the screenwriter, that in a test screening of Man of Steel, the WB executives didn't like the decision to use the ship Superman arrived on Earth as a baby to destroy the evil Kryptonian ship in the finale. When asked why, they said "How is Superman supposed to return to Krypton?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Stuff like LotR being scripted by Tolkien nerds was a big departure from the status quo as I recall, usually you'd get some behind-the-scenes interview where the scriptwriter is like "Yeah I'd never heard of X Property before but there were all these fans out there with so many stringent expectations! Oh well I did the best I could, I figured they'd like the new ideas I put in from some of my other projects"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

pooch516 posted:

Same character design and vice,

Cigars? Nannies?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Case in point, it was recently revealed by the screenwriter, that in a test screening of Man of Steel, the WB executives didn't like the decision to use the ship Superman arrived on Earth as a baby to destroy the evil Kryptonian ship in the finale. When asked why, they said "How is Superman supposed to return to Krypton?"

didnt another exec for Superman Returns , have an idea that was basically Spiderman's vemon suit, but superman? also dude had a massive obsession with giant enemy spiders.

e: also looking at the Simpsons wiki, lol at their un uniform standards, prez Schwarzenegger's page pic is a ms paint cut out, Colin is just a fuzzy screen cap, but the EPA bad guy is a clean vector.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 30, 2021

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

probably so they didn't have to pay the original writers/creators of those characters royalties

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'll be the dissenting voice here and say that EPA guy and President Schwarzenegger were fine. As mentioned above, turning EPA guy into Hank Scorpio and turning him against Homer would have undermined some of his character in the original. But even ignoring that, turning them into recognizable characters wouldn't have really added anything. Yeah fans would have more character names to recognize, but it's not like that really adds anything. I guess there could be funny jokes in future episodes with President Wolfcastle, but they could easily just have done that in the main series if they had any interest in those jokes.

On the other hand, President Schwarzenegger was a (at the time) relevant joke that was easy to get for non-fans who were seeing the movie with friends/family that were fans. Someone entirely unfamiliar with the Simpsons would also probably find President Wolfcastle confusing as well, and he has a somewhat important role in the story. I'm sure the movie was a good opportunity to turn some of those people into fans, so they wanted to make some concessions for them, and I think they did a good job overall.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I was like 15 when the Simpsons movie came out and me and my friends went to see it together. One of us had never seen any Simpsons, one of us (me) was a casual fan, and one of us was just a fan of the original seasons. We all loving cackled the whole way through, it killed us. We were in a theater full of people but we were the only ones laughing and it made all of us uncomfortable.

Rewatching it as a fan of seasons 1-6 strictly it's not nearly as good but it's hard to forget my first impression of it. I liked it and I still like it, but I know how much it sucks. Weird place to be lol.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The first thing I did after getting my driver's license was drive to the theater and watch The Simpsons Movie.

I also accidentally ran a red light that day, lmao.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Mantis42 posted:

Wow, I always thought they deliberately opened the show on a clip show as a joke. Like most of the clips are from episodes that don't exist, like the famous "bear is driving" gag if I remember correctly. Haven't seen or thought about that show in like a decade though.

It's probably been a decade since I've actually seen it, but iirc it's all the "hey remember when" clips where they cut back to climbing up a wall on a rope that were just cutting back to the first episode. Having the second show be a clip show was definitely that same intentional joke but it didn't work the same way if you never air the first episode!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

We saw the Simpsons Movie in theaters when it was new, and although I was long checked out on the show by then, I remember that for the first 20-30 minutes of the movie we laughed so hard my face hurt.

Maybe it was just being in a theater with friends, but I also remember that some of those jokes were genuinely funny.

Then it kinda fell off a cliff.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Movies sure were a lot funnier when we could all watch them together with 500 other people.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PinheadSlim posted:

I was like 15 when the Simpsons movie came out and me and my friends went to see it together. One of us had never seen any Simpsons, one of us (me) was a casual fan, and one of us was just a fan of the original seasons. We all loving cackled the whole way through, it killed us. We were in a theater full of people but we were the only ones laughing and it made all of us uncomfortable.

Rewatching it as a fan of seasons 1-6 strictly it's not nearly as good but it's hard to forget my first impression of it. I liked it and I still like it, but I know how much it sucks. Weird place to be lol.

Yeah I liked it fine, it's not fantastic but overall decent for a one time watch. I chuckled at the Tom Hanks cameo and Green Day referencing the Titanic band.

Still baffled it came out in 2007 and made $536 million but they haven't gotten around to putting out a sequel yet. It's not like they have to care about quality.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I miss the theater experience.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Detective No. 27 posted:

I miss the theater experience.

The last two movies I saw in theaters were Cats and Rise of Skywalker, and I sincerely hope they aren't my last ever.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

also dude had a massive obsession with giant enemy spiders.

I think you're talking about Jon Peters? The former hairdresser turned producer who loving loves giant spiders.

The podcast How Did This Get Made talked all about him when they did an episode on the movie Wild Wild West, which he was involved with and... had a giant spider.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Still baffled it came out in 2007 and made $536 million but they haven't gotten around to putting out a sequel yet. It's not like they have to care about quality.

If they struggle to make enough filler for 22 minute episode, then 90 minute movie is too much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Guillermo del Toro has talked about how when he was trying to make the first Hellboy movie studio execs tried to make him change the titular Hellboy into a regular dude who changed into a demon when he got angry. You know, like Hellboy does. (Also they wanted make it so that he was no longer red.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

With some minor tweaking they could have made Devil Man instead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

YeahTubaMike posted:

The last two movies I saw in theaters were Cats and Rise of Skywalker, and I sincerely hope they aren't my last ever.

Lol if it wasn't Sonic the Hedgehog.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

muscles like this! posted:

Guillermo del Toro has talked about how when he was trying to make the first Hellboy movie studio execs tried to make him change the titular Hellboy into a regular dude who changed into a demon when he got angry. You know, like Hellboy does. (Also they wanted make it so that he was no longer red.)

The Incredible Hellk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Mine was Cats and it was the best movie-going experience I've ever had. Talk about going out on a high note, holy hell.