Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright, people were asking for a review of King's Bounty 2 and I finally feel like I've played enough of it that I can sort out some of my thoughts on it.

Great review, thanks. I know I’m going to get it and play it now, but this probably relegates it to steam sale territory, and I’ll just go back and play the others while I wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Is there a service that automates adding non-Steam games to your library including grabbing artwork etc? Playnite is really good at pulling games from all my launchers into one place but I'd ideally like to have that replicated through Steam for ease of in-home streaming.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So what's Cyberpunk 2077 like currently? I heard it had a lot of issues at launch. It's 33% off right now, I don't think i'll be getting it quite yet, but if it's good I'll be happy to let it stay on my wishlist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Same as it ever was on PC, it's got a good 20-25 hour linear story buried underneath 40 hours of vaguely disappointing open world systems and anemic roleplaying.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fortunately you can skip like all the bad open world poo poo

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

pentyne posted:

What's a good vertical mouse?
I'm using Evoluent VerticalMouse 4 and it's well made and sturdy. It's also very vertical compared to some mice that just have your hand kinda diagonal. You have to watch out because vertical mice became a craze at some point and a lot of noname companies started producing them but without accounting for the mouse's stability/balance that's additionally needed when compared to regualar mice. I'd stick to companies like Evoluent, Logitech and other proven ones for this reason.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you enjoy open world poo poo the open world poo poo is actually pretty decent a lot of the time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you enjoy open world poo poo the open world poo poo is actually pretty decent a lot of the time.

CP2077's blue points of interest are some of the lowest-effort open world activities I've seen in a video game for quite some time. Like literally four dudes standing on a rooftop waiting for you to kill them in 10 seconds effort, and the map is completely filled with these. This would be fine if the yellow side gigs were all just enormously high quality, but the truth is many of those aren't much better besides the one or two quest chains people can actually remember.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Phlegmish posted:

So what's Cyberpunk 2077 like currently? I heard it had a lot of issues at launch. It's 33% off right now, I don't think i'll be getting it quite yet, but if it's good I'll be happy to let it stay on my wishlist.

I'd sincerely say to wait another year.

Because at least, by then possibly, the modding community might've done something to make it actually fun to play.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Some stream of thought points as someone who enjoyed Cyberpunk just to round out the picture.

The setting is a little trite but I enjoyed looking at all the little details in the world and just exploring the little nooks. The gunplay isn't bad but it's not great either. The melee systems are actually competitive with the guns at high levels and I found their flow more fun, but you have to sacrifice hacking to get the most out of it. The driving physics on the default car are wacky as hell, you get the option to buy cars later and should take it. None of the cars drive well but the new ones are at least a kind of fun challenge to get a hang of.

I think that the only real problem I have with the game is the skill tree and the issues surrounding that. There are absolutely skills in the tree that are old-school 'trap' skills that either do nothing or make the game worse. You also will no get enough points to be able to just ignore that fact. In particular the ability to throw knives will permanently destroy the knife on each throw! Overall I would recommend just using cheat engine to give yourself a point refund.

Overall I did all the yellow side quests and ended up with around 60 hours or so on my save. I enjoyed my time with the game as a $40 affair but it definitely has its warts and if you don't like just wandering around a world you might not enjoy it as much.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Objective Action posted:

I think that the only real problem I have with the game is the skill tree and the issues surrounding that. There are absolutely skills in the tree that are old-school 'trap' skills that either do nothing or make the game worse. You also will no get enough points to be able to just ignore that fact. In particular the ability to throw knives will permanently destroy the knife on each throw! Overall I would recommend just using cheat engine to give yourself a point refund.

Do not, do not get the skill that auto breaks down junk items, some of them are worth a lot of money and there’s no way to just pick them up if you get that skill.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

At this point I'd only get Cyberpunk after all the expansions are released (if they even are) and/or the next gen version releases. The latest patch fixed another 1000 bugs and one can only benefit from further fixes. Maybe you get lucky and CDPR releases actual mod tools so the community can add the missing features even more effectively than they have done until now.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 30, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

They eventually came out with a complete edition of the Witcher with all the DLC, I'm doing the same for Cyberpunk. It's not like at this point I'm still dying to play the game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My mother has terrible rheumatoid arthritis and I got her a vertical mouse that made it possible for her to use her laptop again so there's another anecdote for the pile. I think I'll get one too to be honest, I'm gettin old.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If people are having trouble with their mouse hand, absolutely check out those vertical mice. You can have both attached for a while as you transition over. I work in IT and they have helped in the vast, vast majority of situations. I don't use one because I haven't noticed any problems yet, but if you do, check one out.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Also consider running a smaller keyboard so there's not much reach to get to the mouse. A 65% or 75% keyboard ditches the numpad as well as the space in between for arrow/home/end keys and brings the mouse in way closer. A 75% will have all those keys, just not spaced so far as to extend the size of the keyboard.

I've also got a large keyboard/mouse mat that I slide over to the left when playing KB&M games, just far enough that the left arm is straight to the home row and the mouse is too.

Keeping those arms mostly straight makes a surprising difference.

E:. Here's the updated version of the 75% I use for work and gaming - I really like the switches in it. It's got full function keys, arrows, and even page up/down/home/end in a very small space: https://www.nizkeyboard.com/products/2019-new-micro-82-ec-keyboard-s-ble-ble-rgb-or-non-rgb

Not pushing that particular keyboard, though it's lovely if you like that kind of switch, but rather the form and size.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 30, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i got an 80% so i got to keep everything but the numpad and the more comfortable postion for both ttyping and gaming has owned, highly recommend.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What is the Duke of keyboards

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probably those typewriter fascimile nightmares.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If you must have a numpad you can also get standalone ones, so you can have the ergonomics of a 75% or TKL with a separate numpad off to the left out of the way of the mouse

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256847112/movie480_vp9.webm

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sure, why not

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

That game looks so great-

Love the fox that is extremely psyched about being sacrificed

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Flimf posted:

That game looks so great-

Love the fox that is extremely psyched about being sacrificed

What the kids call 'Big Mood'.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Looks a bit like an alternative take on Black & White? I'll take it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Palpek posted:

Wait really? I read it as an Isaac-like with some base building stuff

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

RBA Starblade posted:

Logitech G15, the original 18 G key one, not the slimmed down one.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LXFhOtvOfs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
A vertical mouse works the same way as a normal mouse it's just the position of your hand gripping it that changes, right?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Considering you hold that thing like a normal controller, I don't understand what the strap is for. Also, my personal favorite controller to play first person games with is the Steam Controller, because it has gyro aiming for fine tuned movements. Something about the trackpad makes first person games feel better imo

Part of what keeps a controller in your hand is your other hand being on the other side, holding it up completely with just one hand would be tiring and annoying and would inhibit effective use. Really something like this should look more like a joycon or wiimote type thing, comfortable to easily hold in your left hand.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

repiv posted:

If you must have a numpad you can also get standalone ones, so you can have the ergonomics of a 75% or TKL with a separate numpad off to the left out of the way of the mouse

the other thing i serioeusly considered was a left handed keyboard, because it just puts the arrows/end block/numpad on the left which is actually far better for right handed mouse now we dont live in a world where numpad is your navigation

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That's another way of doing it, there doesn't seem to be many options with that left handed layout though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

anyone got that picture of that one guy's absolutely batshit insane counterstrike keybinding setup

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

Seems more Don't Starve x Binding of Isaac to me honestly.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Palpek posted:

Seemed more like a metroidvania soulslike to me

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I heard it's a shot-for-shot remake of the 1990's Sears' "Another Scorcher" air conditioner commercial.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Real talk since we're talking about mice ergonomics. Is there any kind of like, brace for my wrist/arm that I can use that will stop me from resting part of my arm on the edge of my desk? Like a soft cushion for my mouse arm that moves along with the mouse would be dope.

I've been playing PC games for so long like this that I have a bit of a callous on my wrist right there and it's annoying. It happens even with a vertical mouse because my arm's gotta rest somewhere and I don't have a chair tall enough for the arm rests to be above the desk lmao

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 30, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Play posted:

A vertical mouse works the same way as a normal mouse it's just the position of your hand gripping it that changes, right?

pretty much. make like you're putting your hand on your mouse, then twist your wrist like 45deg to the right (assuming right-handedness) and that's pretty much my hand position with the MX Vertical

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ciaphas posted:

pretty much. make like you're putting your hand on your mouse, then twist your wrist like 45deg to the right (assuming right-handedness) and that's pretty much my hand position with the MX Vertical

too bad it's not a mouse that you use like a theremin moving your hand up and down in the air. thatd be cool

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The worst thing about a vertical mouse is that you'll knock it over a disproportionate amount of times while you're reaching for something because somehow your body sense isn't used to that extra few inches of height.

Hopefully that happens to you, because if I'm alone here, I may very well be a moron-bodied idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Eason the Fifth posted:

The worst thing about a vertical mouse is that you'll knock it over a disproportionate amount of times while you're reaching for something because somehow your body sense isn't used to that extra few inches of height.

Hopefully that happens to you, because if I'm alone here, I may very well be a moron-bodied idiot

Have you tried elevating your chair?