Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

insufferable prick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Remember Indigo children? lmao

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I was deemed gifted (even skipped a grade) and it utterly ruined my life. If you ever wondered why I am like this, it’s a combination of ostracism through most of my grade school education simply due to being one year younger than everyone else, constantly being pumped full of nonsense about being smarter than everyone else by my parents (which still happens and I still cannot get rid of) and never developing a proper work ethic. If your kids are gifted then for the love of god A) Make sure they are actually challenged, learn how to deal with adversity and praise effort, not results and B) Make sure they learn how to make friends, since it’s more important than any crap they learn at school.

My parents once paid for a series of special gifted kids seminars where we just did a bunch of weird exercises like “how would you survive a desert island” and years later I learned the guy running it was heavily into indigo child crap.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

"The disease that kills poor people isn't too bad," says guy rich enough to move 1100 miles on four days' notice.

They didn't really "move" either. It was a vacation home that I guess they had been AirBnB'ing until now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames posted:

I was deemed gifted (even skipped a grade) and it utterly ruined my life. If you ever wondered why I am like this, it’s a combination of ostracism through most of my grade school education simply due to being one year younger than everyone else, constantly being pumped full of nonsense about being smarter than everyone else by my parents (which still happens and I still cannot get rid of) and never developing a proper work ethic. If your kids are gifted then for the love of god A) Make sure they are actually challenged, learn how to deal with adversity and praise effort, not results and B) Make sure they learn how to make friends, since it’s more important than any crap they learn at school.

LOL, smoke some weed and chill out, you've been out of school for 10+ years now, that's not your problem at all

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

ok I figured that was the answer, I just wasn't sure if he was talking about how tough it was and thank goodness his [challenged in some way] child got help, but no the kid just has dyslexia and they couldn't have figured it out without moving last minute and paying a bajillion dollars because god forbid your kids put a mask on.

that guy is peak rear end in a top hat

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

kalensc posted:

The dyslexic kid is so hosed, just imagine the worldview that dad is espousing.

"We moved 1000+ miles, in a pandemic, just for you! And look, you're unexpectedly gifted! The institution we paid thousands of dollars said so, thus it is an absolute truth! You will be great....my son, you WILL be great."

The kid brother will be cspamming before he can legally drink.

This is how we get Ella Emhoffs

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

LOL, smoke some weed and chill out, you've been out of school for 10+ years now, that's not your problem at all

Well I just left the country where weed was sort of legal, so

I kind of wish Straight Edge was a thing in Europe. I think I’d like it as a kid.

Anyway, this isn’t about me, just don’t gently caress up your “gifted” kids.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/schwa/status/1432421108234407936

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Same OP, I never learned to actually study or how to deal with not being really good at something immediately and I still have problems with it at age 34. Being told you’re gifted really fucks with you.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Koirhor posted:

I agree with the earlier sentiment that we cannot live with Covid, it puts way too much strain on our medicial infrastructure. Unless of course that’s the goal and in 5 years only the truly wealthy will have medicine and only via concierge doctors

I don't think anybody's plan is that malicious. I think it's just leadership hoping Covid just miraculously goes away because they can't fix it. You know. Like Trump.

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
Or he might test very well on whatever standardized testing the school uses, yet still have struggles not related to his intelligence. Sometimes people are like supernaturally good at listening and regurgitating on cue, while actually having a poor understanding of the substance of the matter.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/DukeChronicle/status/1432400042749353985

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Scags McDouglas posted:

I used to commute at least an hour both ways for miserable work making peanuts, now I sit in my house and make about 170K fiddling with Power BI reports if I feel like working that day. I cherish the difference sincerely but looking at other industries, the survivor's guilt is real.

what's power bi reports and how do i get to fiddle with them for that kind of money

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

haha

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

didnt read the guy's 10000 tweets but did he move to lake wobegone, where all the children are above average?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bet they just tell everyone their kid is gifted because it guarantees paying customers

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Hope nodelphi and his family are doing ok :smith:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

mod sassinator posted:

isn't today the first day lol

or is that just chicago area

Chicago started today, a lot of the burbs started a week and a half ago, and downstate a bit before that. Also that data only updates weekly and a week behind.

The 500+ is just 'exposures' at school. There were 12 'outbreaks' (5+ cases from different households all from the same school) the week of Aug 20th. Most northern IL schools outside of Chicago proper started classes the 18th. There were 26 outbreaks as of the 21st.

More interesting - school aged cases statewide. Just August and missing last week's data

Week Number : Reported Cases Ages 5-11 : Reported Cases Ages 12-17 : Reported Cases Ages 18-22

Week Ending: 8/7/2021 : 1,746 : 2,101 : 3,202
Week Ending: 8/14/2021 : 2,296 : 2,444 : 3,547
Week Ending: 8/21/2021 : 2,512 : 2,674 : 3,872

Fun trend

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
[Covid-19] Also having a change of heart, before his stopped,

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8YRg_LK_PU
Serious Venus and the lunar child
Giggle and the flames grow higher
Dance in a circle around a central fire
When the indigo children come
Wine, song, food and fire
Clothe, shelter and seed
No more need for the old empire
When the indigo children come

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clocks posted:

ok I figured that was the answer, I just wasn't sure if he was talking about how tough it was and thank goodness his [challenged in some way] child got help, but no the kid just has dyslexia and they couldn't have figured it out without moving last minute and paying a bajillion dollars because god forbid your kids put a mask on.

that guy is peak rear end in a top hat

Gifted kids are the "smart" kids.

There has been an insidious move in recent years to have this classified as a "special need" so that schools spend special ed money on doing advanced schooling for smart kids. This funnels money from students who are disadvantaged toward kids who are very advantaged. Schools go along with it because they get more funding the more special ed kids they have. As a bonus, these parents get to start all their sentences with "As the parent of a special needs child", which ups their idpol score and gives them access to secret limit breaks regular parents can't use.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 365 days!
I follow alot of dumb covid guys on facebook and one of them in rural alabama has in 2 days posted that 3 restaurants in his town have closed indefinitely due to covid staffing problems and he's mad

still doesn't think covid is a big deal, roll tide

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

PostNouveau posted:

There has been an insidious move in recent years to have this classified as a "special need" so that schools spend special ed money on doing advanced schooling for smart kids. This funnels money from students who are disadvantaged toward kids who are very advantaged. Schools go along with it because they get more funding the more special ed kids they have. As a bonus, these parents get to start all their sentences with "As the parent of a special needs child", which ups their idpol score and gives them access to secret limit breaks regular parents can't use.

poor kids are just as smart as white kids

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

what's indigo children? all i know about is the lovely david cage game someone else mentioned, where there was a little girl called "the indigo child" and i dont remember at all what the deal with her was except she was supposed to stop the world from freezing? and the guy who was the internet wanted her i think? or maybe he wanted the magic alien alloys, i dont remember

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Shear Modulus posted:

didnt read the guy's 10000 tweets but did he move to lake wobegone, where all the children are above average?

lake wobegone has been shut down because garrison keiler's a sex criminal lol

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

PostNouveau posted:

loving disgusting

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

what's indigo children? all i know about is the lovely david cage game someone else mentioned, where there was a little girl called "the indigo child" and i dont remember at all what the deal with her was except she was supposed to stop the world from freezing? and the guy who was the internet wanted her i think? or maybe he wanted the magic alien alloys, i dont remember

Was a cheesy thing from the 90s culture area:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_children

My child isn't messed up, I actually have a "Chosen One" / "Indigo Child"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ram dass in hell posted:

lake wobegone has been shut down because garrison keiler's a sex criminal lol

how could pastor liz let this have happened under her watch

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Can't wait for my "elective" surgery to prevent blindness to get cancelled in the fourth wave.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

relocating my family across the country to insist on in person daycare only to immediately get covid and watch as schools go remote / shut down / quarantine half their staff / students

incredible self goal

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

etalian posted:

Was a cheesy thing from the 90s culture area:

My child isn't messed up, I actually have a "Chosen One" / "Indigo Child"

was it related to the satanic panic

e: i skimmed the article and yeah sounds a lot like some dumb crap where people needed to invent some reason why their kid was special and magical

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 30, 2021

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm not a bad parent my children are just secretly x-men, the lifestyle

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

Was a seventies woo thing that came back in the nineties about how the children of all these very smart and good people were going to transcend human boundaries because how couldn't they, with such good and smart parents?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

hmm my lungs feel a little funny and I've developed a cough.

I'm sure it's nothing.

u sound stressed. have u thought about taking a vacation!?
*checks schedule*
actually, im going to need you to come in for a double. and work this weekend, mmkay?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

1100 miles isn't that far

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Indigo as an alternative to diagnosis
Retired professor of philosophy and skeptic Robert Todd Carroll notes that many of the commentators on the indigo phenomenon are of varying qualifications and expertise, and parents may prefer labeling their child an indigo as an alternative to a diagnosis that implies poor parenting, narcissistic parenting, damage,[30] or mental illness.[1] This is a belief echoed by academic psychologists.[29] Some mental health experts are concerned that labeling a disruptive child an "indigo" may delay proper diagnosis and treatment that could help the child or look into the parenting style that may be causing the behavior.[7][28][30] Others have stated that many of the traits of indigo children could be more prosaically interpreted as simple unruliness and alertness.[29]

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Business Gorillas posted:

If you want to be a similar success story, dm me :grin:

This is getting dangerously close to "posting is praxis" and I don't know if anybody is ready for that reality.

You're a good guy Business Gorillas and what you are doing is extremely cool :)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the school had a strict masking policy in place and lasted a whole day

https://twitter.com/sevendaysvt/status/1432404413969272832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Clocks posted:

ok i apologize in advance if i'm just ignorant but is "gifted" like a euphemism for something like autism or is the kid just literally dyslexic and if they hadn't upped and moved to some $100k/yr private school his kid would've remained without "treatment" and "support" and traumatized?

don't get me wrong, I'm not saying dyslexia isn't bad or anything, I am sure many kids suffered from people not taking it seriously enough and giving extra test time or whatever but I just feel like there are way "worse" things his kid could have turned out to be??

Both my kids are in the gifted program. Gifted usually means they test in something like the top like 3% of the district for math and\or reading. They give them slightly harder stuff to do (like barely) unless they get sent to a special gifted magnet or the school is big enough to have like Advance Placement classes.

This is tested for differently in different states, so no idea why a public school couldn't figure that out but a private school did (besides blowing smoke up his rear end)

A public school should have been able to help with dyslexia. They have counselors and that poo poo is covered under a 504 plan. From personal experience though the school's ability to help figure out and support stuff like autism, dyslexia, etc varies WILDLY from school to school. My gut tells me if he can afford a 100k private school their old school district was probably well resourced.