Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

"I sell shotguns and shotgun accessories."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't want an "improved character models" mod because I'm so used to the characters' faces. I don't mind giving the environments or weapons hi-res textures, or even using Monster Mod to add xenomorphs and terminators, but if I changed Boone's face he wouldn't be Boone!

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I thought FCO was decent since it gave you new character presets that were less potato face-y and also didn’t have any creepy poo poo going on

On the subject of oblivion engine face gen I admire how ropekid clearly pushed the engine to its limit to capture the hosed up shape of Johny five ace’s face

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Rinkles posted:

i think the oblivion character overhaul is pretty decent

My one big hangup with Oblivion Character Overhaul is the khajiit face textures. They all sort of look very... flat. Like the fur never goes out, it just goes away, as if somebody turned a slicked-back hairstyle into a species.

e: also the fur patterns look painted on, not like war paint or even tattoos, but car decals. The edges of the patterns are so clean and uniform that they don't seem to be part of the fur at all. That said I don't think it's the cleanliness of the patterns that gives them this weird effect, it's because they're on top of the slicked-back fur texture. It gives the impression that the individual strands of fur just... change color as they pass through the fur patterns, only to return to their normal coloration afterwards.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 26, 2021

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I thought FCO was decent since it gave you new character presets that were less potato face-y and also didn’t have any creepy poo poo going on

On the subject of oblivion engine face gen I admire how ropekid clearly pushed the engine to its limit to capture the hosed up shape of Johny five ace’s face

My finest work...

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Jamie Faith posted:

It's really frustrating because NV's og character models have not aged well. They don't look nearly as bad as Oblivion's infamous potato head men but they're still pretty derpy looking so it would be nice to have a mod that just makes all the NPCs look a bit more human without turning all the women into anime supermodels.

My personal preference for this is Character Expansions Revised. A little less potato-y, but not stupidly jarring.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

rope kid posted:

My finest work...

I posted a screenshot of the four balls to a discord when I started my replay and when people just replied "ah, spheres?" I had to remind myself I'm on this horrid site, not us.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

frontier trip report part 2:
boy you can really tell the patchwork aspect of this because some places are real cool and others are 'it's the shining hotel with a horror-themed quest and body horror themed enemies (the lil spider head from the thing i guess) but full of movie refs in each room of the hotel and also arnold schwarzenegger is there for some random reason as an allied npc except you can't interact with him besides the npc generic shouts where some guy does a bad arnie voice and says get to da vertibird aughahgaghaguh'. there's a random note saying 'hey these guys are here because they have to rescue some random lady' and you kill a random guy and save a random lady with no setup. it's like cool for a second when you realize it's a horror themed quest and then it just zooms off into the bizarre territory.

i guess that's basically fo3-level poo poo but it was disjointed to the point of where i get the feeling that this was one of the places where some of the sketchy/skeevy poo poo must've been cut or somethin' like that given the setup of the place bein' a slave auction house and a bunch of stupid bits of slaves in the fo3 'sexy clothing' placed in a bunch of reference poses to horror movies and whatnot.

also, the vehicle system is kind of insane in how well it works. it's actually like, absurd.

fighting vehicles is also absurd too but in the comedic way, see:
https://i.imgur.com/CA9okfg.mp4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Piling on additional difficulty modifiers (including making radiation drain my health) has made getting through the Courier’s Mile near impossible in my current state. Feels like I have to come back when I’m fully decked out with power armor and some of the high end heavy weapons. Which in a way is kinda cool.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

It's weird that the fallout 3/oblivion era engine apparently only has two face settings and that's realdoll or potato.

They did get better over the course of it, Oblivion was worse than FO3, which was worse than NV.

Rinkles posted:

i think the oblivion character overhaul is pretty decent

I only have two issues with OCO:

1. it whitewashes the red guards. seriously. They look like bretons with a tan.
  2. orcs had really tiny heads

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

They did get better over the course of it, Oblivion was worse than FO3, which was worse than NV.

I only have two issues with OCO:

1. it whitewashes the red guards. seriously. They look like bretons with a tan.
  2. orcs had really tiny heads

Sometimes they look like Bretons without a tan

https://twitter.com/ThaumPenguin/status/1299706585875468288

e: this issue confounded me so much that I tried installing only OCO2 and its requirements without any other mods, and the Redguard women still looked like that

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 28, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

any modern-ish mods for displaying weapon stats? particularly needed because there's usually little documentation for weapons you get from mods.

all i could find was this old thing, which i remember being a little clunky, not working for some guns 100%, and not working for melee at all.

also, kind of random question: when i play NV inevitably at some point in my playthrough something happens with the loading screen behavior. it freezes up for a sec right before finishing the load (so no roulette animation), but everything's fine when the game loads a second or two later. it didn't do that for dozens hours, but now it does (and I remember the same thing happening years ago). I have added and tweaked mods in the interim, so it's probably related to that, but is there a definite cause behind it? is there a fix? it seems to be a mostly cosmetic issue, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This add-on to Enhanced Item Info sounds like it might cover what you want: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/73321

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

This add-on to Enhanced Item Info sounds like it might cover what you want: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/73321

It does, thanks (might even be a bit too much info). Now I need to figure out whether I want this over VUI+ for the Hud Editor functionality (because this is made with Darn in mind).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone use this vertibird-as-base mod (but it also flies)? Looks really cool. Old but recently updated.

Vertibird Player Home

I've found enough new mods I want to try that I'm already thinking about a new playthrough.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

VNV and LNV have been great for quickly setting up all the base modern bugfix and performance mods.

Rinkles posted:

i try to minimize companion use because they're powerful, come with free ammo, and they're way too eager to start fights even in passive mode, which is a problem in hardcore mode. modding them to use ammo isn't much of a solution, cause they'll mostly waste it.

although, tbh, i haven't really investigated whether someone tried addressing my issues. a fallout 4 style resuscitation mechanic (instead of permadeath in HC) would be cool too.

Cirosan's Classic Overhaul has a followers module where they do half damage and take half damage along with using ammo. Also switches to FO2's CHA/2 formula for number of followers.

I played through with all of CCO last time I played, it was very well done.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

Cirosan's Classic Overhaul has a followers module where they do half damage and take half damage along with using ammo. Also switches to FO2's CHA/2 formula for number of followers.

I played through with all of CCO last time I played, it was very well done.

I remember being interested in cirosan's overhaul (wasn't he a goon?) last time I played, but since it's been a while since it's been updated, I'm a bit worried it won't work well with modern "essentials" that overlap. But neat that it's modular. e:looking through the comment sections, it sounds like all the modules are in need of a cleanup and bugfixing.

For my next playthrough I'd like to try as best I can to replicate that feeling of desperation in the opening hour of Dead Money into the entire Mojave. (I know that probably comes close to describing DUST, but from what I've heard it's a pretty buggy mess). I really enjoy having to make do with what I find.

The merchants are probably the biggest hurdle. This last playthrough I had Economy Overhaul and Unfound Loot, and still I was in a pretty comfortable situation a few hours in. (Though EO might be partially to blame for that, because what it really does is distort the economy. It's harsher at first, but when you save up some funds, the pricing rebalance will often mean you can buy more with the money).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 29, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

For my next playthrough I'd like to try as best I can to replicate that feeling of desperation in the opening hour of Dead Money into the entire Mojave. (I know that probably comes close to describing DUST, but from what I've heard it's a pretty buggy mess). I really enjoy having to make do with what I find.

I'd like something similar: needing to scrounge to find stuff and conversely have scrounging be rewarding and fun. Horizon for FO4 does it pretty well looks like for ammo - and gives you a reason to pick up all the incidental cruft too. Economy is one way of handling it, the other is restricted weight or a full on backpack/bandolier/pocket simulation to restrict what you can access quickly.

Are there any current overhauls that balance out economy/weight/placed loot in ways that make scrounging fun as more than things to sell? Ammo crafting could be pretty cool as a reason to scrounge. It's been 5-6 years judging by my post history since I last looked at mods. Looks like a lot has happened in NVSE plugins and bugfix mods and all that they enabled gameplay-wise, but have there been more overhauls. jsawyer is the Developer's Cut, stuff that goes on top of it, I mean.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R's weight handling is pretty decent in most mods where if you go crazy on how much ammo you take with you, you're not going to be picking up much stuff to sell. Though ammo is the most efficient thing to sell anyway, price/weight wise, so you land up grabbing maybe a couple top weapons and all of the ammo post-battle - which is pretty cool.

Ghost Mode for the Witcher 3 did carry weight and the economy really well - it's like my favorite overhaul for any game. You can't really pick up and sell every rusted sword, but even if you do you're not going to get much for it. She made all of that balance out and work very well across the full game and DLCs and all 50 levels of progression - pretty amazing job of balance.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The problem with excessive weight reduction, IMO, is that at some point it's just a hassle that results in half your time being spent managing your pipboy inventory. I still play with rope kid's carry weight restrictions, but that's about as far as I'm willing to go (and I always end up going for pack rat).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You should try reducing your weight limit even lower, not taking strong back, and not using companions as pack animals.
Its one of the best changes I've made to my plays. Once you finally break the habit of being a total packrat the game becomes much more smooth and interesting, you don't realize how much time is wasted sorting inventory until you stop doing it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i think i'd just end up spending even more time "optimizing" my loadout.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

There really is something liberating about not picking up stuff. That's where I got to with Ghost Mode's changes: weight/price changes made it a waste of time to pick up random garbage to sell and she fixed the loot tables so you never find anything really valuable in a random burnt out peasant hut, but conversely the special chests at the end of dungeons or quests always had some interesting, or at the least valuable, gear. So you're liberated from looking through every container in every hut you find, which is great. But she also fixed the economy so you didn't have to vacuum clean every location you encountered to get on with the game.

Horizon seems to go the other way by making random junk useful as crafting mats but also dropping their weight and sell value to almost nothing, so you're just picking up all the stuff you see so you can keep on crafting, not to sell. That also works, strangely.

But the normal game being full of junk where you're doing price/weight calculations to find stuff to sell so you can buy other stuff is the boring middle I think. The scrounge so you can sell loop. Which is also where inventory management becomes a pain, mostly.

I installed that Extended Info mod, turns out it works with VUI+ with a simple edit. It shows you what recipes every item can be used in before you pick it up, even when you're using Just Loot on a container. So maybe it'll keep me from picking up a bunch of stuff after a while.

E: FNV is a very different world from TW3, of course. There's fun in exploring and finding cool stuff, especially unique stuff, in random places in NV. But I do remember my first TW3 run, finding Demeterium Plate in a burnt out hut in that very first village you come across - hated it, because now I have to search every container in every hut because it's all random poo poo.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 30, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

It does, thanks (might even be a bit too much info). Now I need to figure out whether I want this over VUI+ for the Hud Editor functionality (because this is made with Darn in mind).

The edit in the last post here lets EII work with VUI+: https://www.moddb.com/mods/vanilla-ui-plus/forum/thread/companion-weight-overlap

Have to disable V/W in EII's MCM too as VUI+ displays it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

i think i'd just end up spending even more time "optimizing" my loadout.

Didn't Lombard Station have a feature where the sorters would leave you with a basic loudout of your choice? It'd be great to have that feature in every player house.

Monster Hunter has decent load out management. They restrict your inventory slots pretty heavily but give you some tools to manage loadouts to compensate.

A similar system could be good here: instead of intelligently sorting stuff from inventory into separate containers like Sortomatic, just dump everything from inventory into one container. But then refill my inventory from the defined loudout at the same time.

Come home, press one button and you're ready to go back out again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

v1ld posted:

The edit in the last post here lets EII work with VUI+: https://www.moddb.com/mods/vanilla-ui-plus/forum/thread/companion-weight-overlap

Have to disable V/W in EII's MCM too as VUI+ displays it.

EII yes (which I've been using for ages), but not the weapon details add on.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bummer, I was going to look into adding that later.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I've got the regular limit with hardcore otherwise. I do think there's a point to the liberating feeling of not being a pack rat, but I'm not there this time.

I also reckon I might turn companion damage down to like 10%. I like the feeling of stuff happening, the commentary and the perks, but I don't actually need them to fight for me?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

I also reckon I might turn companion damage down to like 10%.

is this something you can tweak easily?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I think this setting in Stewie's will do it, yeah? Gonna set the first of those three to 0.100000 and hope for the best.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cool. Stewie's tweaks are a godsend. And the mod got an in game visual interface yesterday.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Item Info add-on page mentions modifying the .xml file manually to make sure it works with other UI mods, there's probably a guide on how to do it in the comments.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The Item Info add-on page mentions modifying the .xml file manually to make sure it works with other UI mods, there's probably a guide on how to do it in the comments.

When I looked at it, it looked more like a "you can probably convert it if you know what you're doing". Which in my case, I don't.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Cool. Stewie's tweaks are a godsend. And the mod got an in game visual interface yesterday.

Oh drat, that's an excellent improvement.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Oh drat, that's an excellent improvement.

Remember to reset the game for changes to apply.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I remember being interested in cirosan's overhaul (wasn't he a goon?) last time I played, but since it's been a while since it's been updated, I'm a bit worried it won't work well with modern "essentials" that overlap. But neat that it's modular. e:looking through the comment sections, it sounds like all the modules are in need of a cleanup and bugfixing.

Stewie's Tweaks has this under Combat > Difficulty Doesn't Affect NPC-NPC Damage, using the snazzy new Setting interface. There are settings for NPC-Teammate and Teammate-NPC damage multipliers. I'm gonna set them to 0.5 each.

What a great mod, first time I'm using it. That Settings interface is super slick too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

man having an in game editor for istewie is such a good improvement to that already very good mod

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The amount of tweaks that that Stewie fella adds is truly incredible, even if I disagree with some of the presets.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Turns out Sortomatic can do loadout management, not just sorting. So any Sortomatic enabled player home can both empty your pockets and top up the essentials with a click. It's a bit complicated but this video shows it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCe2NxrEsNk

I'm going to use that house mod initially and probably switch to Mobile Truck Base once I get to Novac. Both have Sortomatic enabled versions.

Mobile Truck Base Remastered, recommended by and created by the VNV modder doesn't seem to have Sortomatic or any sorting support unfortunately. But the original mod still seems to work just fine going by the comments.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 31, 2021

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the frontier trip report part 3:
jesus christ the map is huge and full of a bunch of unique poo poo. there's like a ridiculous amount of just completely unmarked things - i've run into two different full on "dungeons" complete with reward rooms and a boss fight at the end that were just tucked away randomly. one of 'em was literally in a random nook in a crater in the middle of a random street. just wandering into random unmarked houses with unique npcs w/ dialogue or dungeons is absurdly common. i expected the map to be kinda small and dense but it's like, massive and dense instead - there's stuff that's way off on the actual edges of the map rather than the actual open world map bein' shut away at the corners.

so far the skeeviest thing i've run into is a wild wasteland thing where some guy who is an obvious modder or something ref (ncrvet?) with extra bad VA tells you to get 'sloots and tittehs' which is pretty loving eyerolling but expected from modder jerkoff garbage. you go to a random shack at the ncr base and find Literally Solid Snake, who hides in a box. you get into the box with him and i guess he shows you his dick when it's blacked out 'cuz the only line of dialogue is "so THAT'S why they call you SOLID snake" to which his reply is "HEH wanna see my LIQUID snake??".

also for some reason like 60% of the quests i've run into have been 'horror' themed - so far there's been the weirdly cut up spider hotel, the VTMB oceanside hotel knockoff in the radio station and the cthulu mannequin hotel with cool live scripting of changing maps where you'll enter one room or a hallway and then turn around and just be in a completely different area. they're pretty corny in various different ways but maybe it's because i haven't had many 'regular' quests yet that hitting all these generic knockoff things in the specific horror theme is getting tiresome.

there was a vaguely interesting quest where you get a sketchy companion that you fetchquest through a couple of areas until you find out he's a slaver.
anyways, i'm still waitin' to see the hosed up stuff still but so far i've been enjoyin' my time just wandering around this monstrously huge map and just murdering my way through it.
thankfully, i'm still continually running into absolutely hilarious poo poo re: vehicles
https://i.imgur.com/iY8m8hB.mp4

beep beep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

fwiw, they've said they're taking out all or most of the references in the future re-release.