Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yeah, that's right, I'm Gifted

Goddamn
Idiot
Fucks everything up
Terrible study habits
Expect to fail in life
Drumpf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was tapped to go to the gifted school, but didn't, so I went to regular school and got gifted pressure put on me. I didn't really care and barely graduated.

Then in my mid 20's I discovered the joy of strip clubs, and life started looking up!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

lol "faculty may teach remotely"

this is a down-low lockdown / switch to remote then. they won't out and say "we are fully remote again" because it will look so bad... but lmao if you are a prof that isn't switching immediately to full virtual (unless you have like a lab class that needs the physical space)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lmao

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
we're going to see a lot of

"We are NOT virtual!* Everything is operating as normal and planned! Students are free to go to class!

* 98.7% of instructors have chosen to teach virtual classes."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You know Trump would wreck his knockoff version Desantis if they did face off in a primary

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Personally I think that the war for vaccine hesitancy will rise more than a few percentage points because the people who won't take the vaccine, mask up or attempt to isolate themselves if possible are going to die in droves, be horrified by the mass death or just that eventually real enforcement happens because capital finally decides that covid can't be lived with. Each time a new variant of covid runs through the US or really anywhere where there's a vaccine and people who won't take it this will deplete the population of people unwilling to vaccinate.

The number of dead rise dramatically when there are not enough hospital beds, staff or poo poo like oxygen to keep people alive. I can't repeat this enough. We're loving in for it. Delta is not going to be like alpha. We're going to have way more deaths and very possibly in a way that can't just be brunched through, no matter how hard they try.

Yeah. This. Vaccines will never contain covid. Not ever. There are too many variants that will adapt or have adapted to the vaccinations themselves. We're seeing something like the Red Queen's Race hypothesis in real time. Where species adapt, evolve and proliferate in order to survive against other adapting and co-evolving species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Queen_hypothesis

Covid came from bats and the immune system of bats are way, way better than ours. It's like if some hotshot baseball player stepped down from the majors (bats) and started brutalizing the minor league teams (humans). We can adapt but covid is just a better player at the game.

We will never, ever win against covid so long as we pit our immune system against it. It is simply better than us. Even with vaccines it is better than us because it mutates so quickly and once it mutates the mutant variant prospers and we're hosed once again. The only way we can defeat it is to not allow it access to our immune systems in the first place. We have to choose not to play. We as a species need to get our poo poo together enough not to allow it access to the respiratory systems of large numbers of people.

That's the only way we'll ever get rid of covid. Covid isn't a problem you can just defeat with science like some magic bullet. Covid is a social problem. Until we address the social problems we will never be rid of covid. Never. Not ever. And we can't live with covid either. It will wear us down and we will become less and less resilient until we start having social collapses. Each collapse that we don't learn from will invite an even worse collapse the next time.

I personally think that the only way we get through covid is that it kills enough people who are anti-vaccine or anti-mask or anti-shutting poo poo down that their ability to influence how society is run is severely reduced. That's not just the chuds. It's the capitalists who want to stay open at any cost. It's the libs who want to go back to brunch. Enough of them have to die or be ruined or horrified by covid into compliance or just worn down that it is finally a smarter decision to lock down and permanently defeat covid than it is to keep the economy open.

And sadly this will take time and a lot of bodies and a lot of grieving until we learn that covid can't be endemic. We can't live with it. The consequences are just too destructive and chaotic.
but open... biden...?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my school didn't really have a "gifted" program or anything, they just had harder versions of stuff you could take.

like you could take physics or "math physics" that motivated the equations more.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Casey Finnigan posted:

in my "gifted" program in elementary school we played logical journey of the zoombinis after school like twice a week. I don't think we did anything else.

wtf, i did this too

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

I’m sure all his employees enjoy working for him and are respected and given great pay and benefits

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Oh hell yes they arrived, posting on the perfect page

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Lastgirl posted:

wtf, i did this too

it's a super good game!

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i only played propaganda :(

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yeah, that's right, I'm Gifted

Goddamn
Idiot
Fucks everything up
Terrible study habits
Expect to fail in life
Drumpf

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://store.steampowered.com/app/397430/Zoombinis/

if anyone wants some nostalgia. the puzzles get super difficult

hip hip zooombiiiiiiiinniiii

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Judakel posted:

gifted and dyslexic is a contradiction

Ok, no. There are many kinds of intelligence and verbal is only one of them. Just because you have a learning disability doesn’t mean you cannot be intelligent in other areas (there is even a term for that, “twice exceptional”)

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I was once in the gifted program, but it was in a state with shockingly low literacy rates and I'm pretty sure it meant I knew how to read.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Glumwheels posted:

I’m sure all his employees enjoy working for him and are respected and given great pay and benefits

tech people are very susceptible to nate silver brain

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

AceOfFlames posted:

Ok, no. There are many kinds of intelligence and verbal is only one of them. Just because you have a learning disability doesn’t mean you cannot be intelligent in other areas (there is even a term for that, “twice exceptional”)

Actually they're morons.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Steve Yun posted:

I bet they just tell everyone their kid is gifted because it guarantees paying customers

i was in the talented and gifted(tag) program in grade school and i just remember doing logic puzzles when i finished my homework before everyone else and also when the tag lady showed us the new biodegradable packing peanuts and said "u can even eat them! go ahead!" and thats when i questioned the sincerity of the program

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1432308971960946688

:(

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Casey Finnigan posted:

in my "gifted" program in elementary school we played logical journey of the zoombinis after school like twice a week. I don't think we did anything else.

That game was super sweet and you can get it as a phone app now for a nostalgia hit

Also I'm pretty sure the plot is that capitalist invaders tried to make the zoombinis work low wage industrial jobs, forcing the logical journey exodus, so the game might be ideologically correct

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

1100 miles isn't that far

And I would roll 500 miles
And I would roll 500 more
Just to be the man who rolls 1000 miles
To bring COVID to your door

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

I always thought anyone taking gifted/AP classes in school were absolute suckers. Harder AND more work? Sign me up

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yo, what's this about a lemon recipe though

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I'd say dyslexic people should stop posting, but they'd probably post instead.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

yo, what's this about a lemon recipe though

idk i think you just jam some citrus up your back end maybe

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

"all these silly libs going crazy with trump derangement syndrome its laughable really" *squirts horse paste into mouth*

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I'm glad my middle school had a cool TAG program that was basically "run the school newspaper" "do robotics" "do community service projects"

then we got to highschool where the function of the schedule just meant we were aggressively tracked due to math placements

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We had Space Quest III on the 386's in The Computer Room and I assumed the teachers never took a look at it because they totally would have uninstalled it if they knew what was actually in that game, lol

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

this dumb bitch

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

:blastu:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

tenderjerk posted:

To travel? No it's not. But to uproot your life just so your special child can go to special school? Yeah that's far for most americans

did he hike the PCT or something? who cares really how far he flew or drove. gently caress that guy.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

then again the TAG program was literally in a corner of the spooky basement sooo

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My wife got rejected at the CVS pharmacy after making a booster appointment online, they said she was not immunocompromised enough

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Stereotype posted:

it's a super good game!

:)

SuperKlaus posted:

That game was super sweet and you can get it as a phone app now for a nostalgia hit

Also I'm pretty sure the plot is that capitalist invaders tried to make the zoombinis work low wage industrial jobs, forcing the logical journey exodus, so the game might be ideologically correct

zoombinis is praxis

also a meritocracy indicator, who knows :shrug:

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

zoombinis was super fun lmfao there was also this game called odell down under or something where you played as various fish and had to survive in your niche and not get eaten. this wasn't the gifted program though, just "computer lab" generic time afaik

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hollismason posted:

what the gently caress is indigo children like purple children wtf

I am going to preface this by saying I have autism.

Indigio children was a new age term for autism. It falls under the problem of "positive sterotyping." It made us out to be gifted, the next evolution, more spirtually atuned. In reality, we simply have a mental condition that shifts where our brains function best, differing from the norms of neurology. Ultimately, there isn't anything wrong with us nor are we something special, especially since autistism has always existed and the only reason we seem recent is because many parents pre-1980s abandoned autisitic kids at psych wards.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bullfrog posted:

zoombinis was super fun lmfao there was also this game called odell down under or something where you played as various fish and had to survive in your niche and not get eaten. this wasn't the gifted program though, just "computer lab" generic time afaik

Odell Lake :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ruggan posted:

this dumb bitch

i am the expert