Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Froghammer posted:

I'd like to see them try Soulbound again in a set that isn't dogshit

That's gonna be hard because soulbond was a big part of why that limited format was miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Actually I don't think it can be transform because they would put mdfc and dfc in the same standard and I think they would want to avoid that. Plus they said werewolves will work differently this set.
Oh but the preview said a curse that transforms so it has to be transform. Well in going to go agonize over this until tomorrow, see ya!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Froghammer posted:

Greeeeeeeeeeat. Coolcoolcoolcool. It's not a problematic design in high-powered formats at all. Wonderful.

Ehhhh it seems fineish so far. Brainstorm was the real bugaboo from the Mystical Archive.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Devor posted:

Alpha Hive templating, except opponent may choose to eat the token when it leaves play.

When Fifth Dawn was out we'd use Skittles for the sunburst counters and if you killed your opponent's permanent you'd get to eat them. Mmmm taste the rainbow.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i think it's already been pinned down as faithless looting
Could it be blood moon?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

flatluigi posted:

i think it's already been pinned down as faithless looting

Should be unbanned in Modern.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Some friends wanted to split a case of MH2 draft boosters so I picked up one box through them. I got very little value out of it and I was wondering if this was the norm or if i got really unlucky.

In order of value
1. Verdant catacombs retro border
2. Mirari’s Wake borderless foil
3. Marsh flats
4. Grief
5. Yavimaya, cradle of growth
6. Dragon’s rage channeler

Everything else was less than $4. 5 mythics and 2 fetches in total.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds about right. They put the good stuff in the set and collector boosters.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

You got pretty unlucky but also if you wanted a box to crack you should’ve gotten set boosters.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I'm aware set and collector boosters are better for cracking, but all the evidence I've seen is that draft booster EV still usually exceeds the cost of a box. I didn't even make back half.
Edit: You could add a Ragavan to my box and it still would have been garbage

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

th3t00t posted:

Some friends wanted to split a case of MH2 draft boosters so I picked up one box through them. I got very little value out of it and I was wondering if this was the norm or if i got really unlucky.

In order of value
3. Marsh flats
4. Grief

More importantly, show us the 12 decks you drafted.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

resistentialism posted:

here's my ww homebrew:

The one-ofs are searchable by the ranger captain and each have their uses.

The sideboard is still very whatever.

it's a 22 land deck, and usually i board down to 21 on the draw

i like the idea of playing ranger captain but i dont like the idea of playing non humans in the deck, though maybe it matters more in my build where i have additional synergies with kudro and unclaimed territory. savior and alseid are very good cards though, especially since the human one drop slot is pretty weak beyond sentinel.

fwiw ive tested silverquill silencer and it seems like a very real card, i replaced the aspirants but i think i might want to replace the glint sleeve instead. the three power matters a decent amount and it just helps bury the opponent in more taxes.

one thing ive ran into a bunch recently is indomitable creativity with serras emissary which may mean more giant killer is needed in the board

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

fadam posted:

• A popular tournament card in multiple formats gets reprinted with its fifth piece of art.

This one seems solvable.

The list of cards with four pieces of art is actually pretty stacked.

The remotely plausible candidates include Aether Vial, Damnation, Thoughtseize, Blood Moon, Rest in Piece, Pithing Needle, Meddling Mage, Spell Pierce, Ancient Grudge, and Horizon Canopy.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fadam posted:

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/660959944480342016/maros-midnight-hunt-teaser

Maro's teaser for Innistrad Midnight Hunt:

• a popular Innistrad card gets reprinted

• “Each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard has”

Past in Flames is back baybeeee

Also the returning mechanics are gonna be flashback, madness and transform

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Tulul posted:

The list of cards with four pieces of art is actually pretty stacked.

The remotely plausible candidates include Aether Vial, Damnation, Thoughtseize, Blood Moon, Rest in Piece, Pithing Needle, Meddling Mage, Spell Pierce, Ancient Grudge, and Horizon Canopy.

Could see rip given the graveyard shenanigans running around, but are those sets rotating?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don’t see madness coming back since that was tied to the cosmic horror Eldrazi stuff and we’ve reset back to gothic horror for the moment.

I think the returning mechanics will be flashback, transform, and undying.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Could see rip given the graveyard shenanigans running around, but are those sets rotating?

The Escape cards in Theros Beyond Death are rotating, yes.

Skyclave Shade in Zendikar is not rotating, no.

What other graveyard shenanigans are you thinking of?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

whydirt posted:

I don’t see madness coming back since that was tied to the cosmic horror Eldrazi stuff and we’ve reset back to gothic horror for the moment.

Madness originated in Odyssey block and was brought back in original Innistrad block. You're thinking of Delirium.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Silhouette posted:

Madness originated in Odyssey block and was brought back in original Innistrad block.

Madness was brought back in Shadows over Innistrad block because the Eldrazi were making everyone go nuts. Delirium was also in SOI block, but neither was in Innistrad classic block.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lone Goat posted:

The Escape cards in Theros Beyond Death are rotating, yes.

Skyclave Shade in Zendikar is not rotating, no.

What other graveyard shenanigans are you thinking of?

The escape cards mostly. Haven't followed the releases too closely for standard because I'm not on arena though.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I just started playing Magic about a month ago with my friend and since we can only meet up to play about once a week, I downloaded Arena so I could get some practice in and learn more about different types of decks. The experience so far has been...pretty rough. I was able to earn my first dual-colored deck "Savage Lands" over a week ago and that really helped make me competitive in Regular Play and Ranked Standard games. But my "earn a new deck" quest timer has been stuck on 0:00:00 now for at least 4 days so I am stuck playing this one deck unless I spend a bunch of money on packs, which is pretty frustrating.

As far a paper cards, my friend and I bought a couple 2021 challenger decks just so we could jump right in and learn the game and those seem to be a pretty solid investment. I have also bought some packs just to start building a collection and figuring out what kind of a deck I want to put together for my first standard constructed deck. Overall, I am having a blast and kinda surprised it took me this long to get into the hobby.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

whydirt posted:

Counterpoint: they just added Madness (and Delirium) into Arena

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

MrSargent posted:

I just started playing Magic about a month ago with my friend and since we can only meet up to play about once a week, I downloaded Arena so I could get some practice in and learn more about different types of decks. The experience so far has been...pretty rough. I was able to earn my first dual-colored deck "Savage Lands" over a week ago and that really helped make me competitive in Regular Play and Ranked Standard games. But my "earn a new deck" quest timer has been stuck on 0:00:00 now for at least 4 days so I am stuck playing this one deck unless I spend a bunch of money on packs, which is pretty frustrating.

As far a paper cards, my friend and I bought a couple 2021 challenger decks just so we could jump right in and learn the game and those seem to be a pretty solid investment. I have also bought some packs just to start building a collection and figuring out what kind of a deck I want to put together for my first standard constructed deck. Overall, I am having a blast and kinda surprised it took me this long to get into the hobby.

Welcome! I'm pretty sure there is or at least used to be a setting somewhere that let you bypass the tutorial and jump forward with all the free decks unlocked.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

MrSargent posted:

If you haven't already get your free arena stuff: https://mtgazone.com/codes/

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

th3t00t posted:

In order of value
3. Marsh flats
4. Grief

It's not much consolation, but those fetches will be worth more later (unless WotC starts printing them more regularly, and if so, win/win.)

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the three returning mechanics are flashback, curse and transform. we know about flashback from the spoiler, and curse and transform are both back according to Maro's teaser. The fact that madness, delirium and investigate are already programmed in arena thanks to HH doesn't necessarily indicate their return in innistrad 3, because SOI remastered is also coming in the near future

MrSargent posted:

I was able to earn my first dual-colored deck "Savage Lands" over a week ago and that really helped make me competitive in Regular Play and Ranked Standard games. But my "earn a new deck" quest timer has been stuck on 0:00:00 now for at least 4 days so I am stuck playing this one deck unless I spend a bunch of money on packs, which is pretty frustrating.

sounds like a bug. you might be able to fix it by disabling tutorial mode, or you can visit arena tech support, login with your arena credentials and submit a support request

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Devor posted:

Alpha Hive templating, except opponent may choose to eat the token when it leaves play.

I think it will just give tokens the Phantasmal wording "targeted must be sacrificed"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

“Creature tokens you control lose all abilities and have base power and toughness 3/3.”
Oko is on Innistrad. This is his ult.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Oko is on Innistrad. This is his ult ulk.

Fixed that for you.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Maro's spoilers mentions part of the keywords of "Past in Flames", I think...

Maro posted:

“Each instant and sorcery card in your graveyard has”

Woo my prediction was maybe right! Although this card says "gains flashback" not "has flashback".

edit: may be wrong~

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 31, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HootTheOwl posted:

Oko is on Innistrad. This is his ult.

A white enchantment named Steerility.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Snapcaster Mage reprint hype train!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Madness is really bad on the Storm Scale, 8 or 9 IIRC.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Opinionated posted:

Maro's spoilers mentions part of the keywords of "Past in Flames", I think...

Woo my prediction was maybe right! Although this card says "gains flashback" not "has flashback".

edit: may be wrong~

Yeah this isn’t past in flames. My guess is it’s an overpriced red enchantment that just gives flashback as a persistent effect

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

TipTow posted:

Ehhhh it seems fineish so far. Brainstorm was the real bugaboo from the Mystical Archive.
I've been listening a lot to the Resleevables podcast, and during their Lorwyn episode they decided that Ponder won the set, if for no reason other than people thought it was bad at the time. Now? Now people know better. If Ponder showed up in Standard, every single tier 1 deck would run 4 Ponder, because in a format with Ponder, if you're not running 4 Ponder, then you're not playing a tier 1 deck. It's that good at what it does.

That's kinda where I am on Faithless Looting.
It isn't quite on that level, but it's close. If it shows up in Standard, whatever the best deck in Standard is will be a deck running 4 Faithless Lootings.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gynovore posted:

they literally brought back storm once

like maro isnt the only designer the storm scale is just his opinion, not the whole teams

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Froghammer posted:

I've been listening a lot to the Resleevables podcast, and during their Lorwyn episode they decided that Ponder won the set, if for no reason other than people thought it was bad at the time. Now? Now people know better. If Ponder showed up in Standard, every single tier 1 deck would run 4 Ponder, because in a format with Ponder, if you're not running 4 Ponder, then you're not playing a tier 1 deck. It's that good at what it does.

That's kinda where I am on Faithless Looting.
It isn't quite on that level, but it's close. If it shows up in Standard, whatever the best deck in Standard is will be a deck running 4 Faithless Lootings.

Ponder and faithless looting are on different levels in my mind, ponder is good enough to include in a deck based on what it does by itself, faithless looting is also a very good card but it needs something enabled by it to really make it worth the initial card disadvantage.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gynovore posted:

Really? There hasn't been a really broken madness deck in like what? 15 years?

Cactrot posted:

Ponder and faithless looting are on different levels in my mind, ponder is good enough to include in a deck based on what it does by itself, faithless looting is also a very good card but it needs something enabled by it to really make it worth the initial card disadvantage.

Faithless looting enables decks that have fun gameplay and they clearly showed that they can control those decks by banning stuff like Gorgari grave Troll when it became too much. You can already get delirium on T2 pretty easily with stuff that is legal in modern. I don't see looting being all that much more broken and it might enable some cool stuff.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 31, 2021

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I mean yeah, if you're running a spellslinging or reanimator deck then it turns on your poo poo while helping you find all your best cards. It's just not a fair card. It shines best in decks that want to minimize interaction with their opponents as much as possible and that's not fun to play against or healthy to be in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Yeah I don't think there is much danger to Madness being brought back provided they don't go overboard with 0 costed Madness cards that do very powerful stuff

I think it's a great mechanic and its a lot of fun and gratifying when you can make it work!