Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Louisgod posted:

same, but weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 365 days!
https://twitter.com/hello__caitlin/status/1432213788539768833?s=19

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Gifted and Talented was clearly a CIA plot to find children with revolutionary potential and curtail it

Buddy, it’s the school system. You have to do more with less.

G&T is like 5 or 6 different plots.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casey Finnigan posted:

Nate Silver absolutely was a Gifted Kid as a child.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Silver

quote:

Silver was born in East Lansing, Michigan, the son of Sally (née Thrun), a community activist, and Brian David Silver, a former chair of the political science department at Michigan State University. Silver's mother's family, of English and German descent, includes several distinguished men and women, including his maternal great-grandfather, Harmon Lewis, who was president of the Alcoa Steamship Company, Inc. Silver's father's family includes two uncles -- Leon Silver and Caswell Silver—who were distinguished geologists. Silver has described himself as "half-Jewish".

Silver showed a proficiency in math from a young age. According to journalist William Hageman, "Silver caught the baseball bug when he was 6.... It was 1984, the year the Detroit Tigers won the World Series. The Tigers became his team and baseball his sport. And if there's anything that goes hand in glove with baseball, it's numbers, another of Silver's childhood interests ("It's always more interesting to apply it to batting averages than algebra class")".

Billionaire grandfather, love for baseball

He's a slightly more productive Zack Hample

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Casey Finnigan posted:

it's insane that every individual school district in the united states needs to individually learn the lesson that opening schools leads to massive infection. it happens in every single school, and they never change their behavior

You would think "It won't happen here" would be daba doop doop dead by now.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The local sports radio station is running the old "BUY GOLD NOW" scam ads that used to just be on whackjob radio. lol

A few years back there was a big push to get advertisers to drop right wing tv and radio hosts over the offensive things they said. It worked in as such as the mainstream advertisers pulled their support from those programs.

But then a funny thing happened.

Desperate for advertisers, mainstream rightwing television and radio opened up to companies that had no problem advertising on controversial programs. Scam gold sellers, snake oil salesmen, disaster preparedness supplies, and pillow manufacturers were able to get their advertisements on mainstream programs. This had two major and complementary effects

First, the rightwing programs were now free of the risk of advertiser boycott. People buying gold for the apocalypse aren't going to stop buying from a company because they advertise on a show that said something misogynistic or racist. So the rightwing programs could become more extreme.

Second, those fringe advertisers gained legitimacy from their advertisements on mainstream networks.

The end result was programming and advertising that worked together seamlessly to create a closed self-reinforcing ideological echo chamber. Before the normal advertisers pulled out, they served as essentially islands of relative calm normalcy in the programs. The programs would warn you of threats from outside, but then Tide would try to sell you laundry detergent. With the new advertisers, the programs would warn the viewers of the threats they faced, and then the advertisers would market hedges against those threats.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It was pages and billions of years ago now, but does anyone have that chart that was the first real batch of solid data showing the obvious and that the more unvaccinated a county was, the more liekly it was to be Republican? The one that shows that Republicans are unambiguously a death cult spreading this poo poo

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Pulcinella posted:

Buddy, it’s the school system. You have to do more with less.

G&T is like 5 or 6 different plots.

in my experience Gifted & Talented was just a way for parents to pat themselves on the back for having tiny children that were better than all the other tiny children

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is a hilarious way to discover cspam is populated entirely by the weird kids with good reading comprehension who were all forced into the same questionable school programs.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
LOL my partner's university (which was all ready to oper er up) is already having a totally unexpected transition to online only as profs and students pop positive tests all over the place. Just loving lol. Luckily she fought and got her class listed as "hybrid" so she didn't have to fake in person learning for more than a day.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
*looking at two 6 year old kids, both eating paste*

ah the one on the left obviously has been granted greater intellectual gifts than the one on the right

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

smoobles posted:

Any tips? How'd you learn?

I started off with the app Buddhify app which is like 3 dollars and has a lot of guided meditations. Then I wanted to further myself so I took a class called Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction which was based on the teachings of John Kabat Zinn a mindfulness guru/ founder of mindfulness. Then having completed that I started doing mindfulness meditations ,but wanted to develope more self compassion so I took a course in Mindfulness Self Compassion. I meditate about 40 to 45 minutes a day doing 2 20 minute guided meditations. I alternate my meditations based on Mindfulness and Self Compassion.

https://centerformsc.org/practice-msc/guided-meditations-and-exercises/

Here's a link to the self compassion meditations.

I also read some books. I've had a steady meditation practice for a little over 2 years now. I find it very helpful.

You can just search youtube for John Kabat Zinn meditations. He has several CDs that include is meditations on them. Here is an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5uaDoOCMb4&list=PL3IK_Ikzqqcc9IX64-INg_bU5Rt_cqOAa&index=3

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 30, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I literally just thought of that right now, but I'm now fully convinced that getting major advertisers to pull ads from Limbaugh and Fox accelerated the insanity of American rightwingers.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Casey Finnigan posted:

*looking at two 6 year old kids, both eating paste*

ah the one on the left obviously has been granted greater intellectual gifts than the one on the right

Don't waste your horse paste on children, they can't get COVID.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

in my experience Gifted & Talented was just a way for parents to pat themselves on the back for having tiny children that were better than all the other tiny children

thats just my Large Adult Gifted Son over there

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is a hilarious way to discover cspam is populated entirely by the weird kids with good reading comprehension who were all forced into the same questionable school programs.

I was a "gifted" kid. I skated through school, and then wasted time and money in college. Now I'm a shiftless, anxious mess, riding down the furniture while watching the world collapse. :cool:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Hollismason posted:

I started off with the app Buddhify app which is like 3 dollars and has a lot of guided meditations. Then I wanted to further myself so I took a class called Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction which was based on the teachings of John Kabat Zinn a mindfulness guru/ founder of mindfulness. Then having completed that I started doing mindfulness meditations ,but wanted to develope more self compassion so I took a course in Mindfulness Self Compassion. I meditate about 40 to 45 minutes a day doing 2 20 minute guided meditations.

I'll check this out too, I've been doing it as well, thanks.

Mahāyāna here, been reading the Lotus Sutra but no sangha to find because pandemic and it's amazing how all the buddhists just decided to do zoom no problem lol

lol, ya that was part of the joke-ish but also good ones most likely will crop up

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The Black Plague destroyed faith in the Church as an institution but overall, if anything, only heightened religiosity.
Also, arguably, in the long-term probably the best thing that ever happened to Western Europe and set the stage for global European hegemony, in my estimation.
So also, arguably, in the long-term the start of the end of our species.

In conclusion, the Black Death was a plague of contrasts.

idk, i mean rationalism did start to appear so that kinda muddies some variables

we've gone from God is smiting to everyone in front of my eyes to germs are smiting everyone i hate in front of my eyes

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 30, 2021

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

always has been

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

I was a "gifted" kid. I skated through school, and then wasted time and money in college. Now I'm a shiftless, anxious mess, riding down the furniture while watching the world collapse. :cool:

:mood:

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Gripweed posted:

A few years back there was a big push to get advertisers to drop right wing tv and radio hosts over the offensive things they said. It worked in as such as the mainstream advertisers pulled their support from those programs.

But then a funny thing happened.

Desperate for advertisers, mainstream rightwing television and radio opened up to companies that had no problem advertising on controversial programs. Scam gold sellers, snake oil salesmen, disaster preparedness supplies, and pillow manufacturers were able to get their advertisements on mainstream programs. This had two major and complementary effects

First, the rightwing programs were now free of the risk of advertiser boycott. People buying gold for the apocalypse aren't going to stop buying from a company because they advertise on a show that said something misogynistic or racist. So the rightwing programs could become more extreme.

Second, those fringe advertisers gained legitimacy from their advertisements on mainstream networks.

The end result was programming and advertising that worked together seamlessly to create a closed self-reinforcing ideological echo chamber. Before the normal advertisers pulled out, they served as essentially islands of relative calm normalcy in the programs. The programs would warn you of threats from outside, but then Tide would try to sell you laundry detergent. With the new advertisers, the programs would warn the viewers of the threats they faced, and then the advertisers would market hedges against those threats.

did you write this in adam curtis's voice on purpose

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Lastgirl posted:

I'll check this out too, I've been doing it as well, thanks.

Mahāyāna here, been reading the Lotus Sutra but no sangha to find because pandemic and it's amazing how all the buddhists just decided to do zoom no problem lol

I recommend looking into a nearby Shambala Center. There's a few around the nation. They usually have open classes over zoom where you can join and meditate. They're based in the Tibetan Buhhdist tradition , but its not super overt that's just their background. Their pretty welcoming to whoever. Its a good chill organization.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 30, 2021

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
I was in the "gifted and talented" small group

they asked me to self direct my own learning by designing my own project and then completing it. I distinctly remember that as the first time in my life where I started to disengage from schoolwork

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Where are the group of kids who were diagnosed with ADD and given Ritalin when in reality they didn't have ADD and were just rambunctious kids that were forced drugs on them

Thats my group

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Casey Finnigan posted:

it's insane that every individual school district in the united states needs to individually learn the lesson that opening schools leads to massive infection. it happens in every single school, and they never change their behavior

to hear my SIL tell it, based on how the Seattle teachers union's contract is written they literally HAVE to try to hold in person school before going remote.

like maybe it's true. I've seen dumber fuckin poo poo in labor contracts before.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Casey Finnigan posted:

The old WASP jockeying for power and prestige in their gated community / NextDoor Gossip ring.

My Gifted and Talented kids!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

lmao "ugly cry" as if she can do any other kind

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

It’s not that they need to learn, they all knew what was going to happen. It just had to happen this way so nobody is responsible for closing schools and dealing with the ire of bosses and parents. They can say, well we tried, but Covid was too much, oh well, nobody’s fault!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
this r/HermanCainAward one actually has a few gems in the screenshots:
First image to set a baseline

Need to get some kind of DNR in place for myself that says "if a doctor ever gives you the choice between let him go peacefully, and literally anything else, choose peacefully"

according to the thread, he's dead now

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/ahandvanish/status/1432411002688184320

:thunk:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The Black Plague destroyed faith in the Church as an institution but overall, if anything, only heightened religiosity.
Also, arguably, in the long-term probably the best thing that ever happened to Western Europe and set the stage for global European hegemony, in my estimation.
So also, arguably, in the long-term the start of the end of our species.

In conclusion, the Black Death was a plague of contrasts.

Walking around seeing all the help wanted signs made me think of the Black Death Aftermath.

I guess hourly workers are essential after all?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zokari posted:

still think its bullshit that 1 isnt prime

gently caress math

buddy,

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shackleford posted:

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1432367197415002115?s=19

stanley plotkin, developer of the rubella vaccine, says get your third dose of a multiple dose vaccine series

For comparison, these are other Inactivated vaccines and their dosing:

Hepatitis A

quote:

2-dose series HepA (Havrix 6–12 months apart or Vaqta 6–18 months apart [minimum interval: 6 months])

Polio (shot only)

quote:

Adults in these three groups who have never been vaccinated against polio should get 3 doses of IPV:

The first dose at any time,
The second dose 1 to 2 months later,
The third dose 6 to 12 months after the second.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

text editor posted:

this r/HermanCainAward one actually has a few gems in the screenshots:
First image to set a baseline

Need to get some kind of DNR in place for myself that says "if a doctor ever gives you the choice between let him go peacefully, and literally anything else, choose peacefully"

according to the thread, he's dead now

these people love god but will never accept death

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
humans don't shed virus particles, they spew them
please use the correct terminology

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm curious if the 3rd Booster Shot would take longer for waning effectiveness to kick in or if it will be 6 months for the next shot?

Compared to the peak 2nd dose it really cranks up the Max titers like crazy.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

text editor posted:

Need to get some kind of DNR in place for myself that says "if a doctor ever gives you the choice between let him go peacefully, and literally anything else, choose peacefullyput my brain in a sexy lady robot"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fourth-stimulus-check-update-2021-08-30/ posted:

What's behind the push for a fourth stimulus check
(..)
How likely is a fourth stimulus check?
Don't hold your breath, according to Wall Street analysts.
(..)
Nevertheless.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I would also accept a brain transplant into a truckasaurus, or any Kamaz

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pryor on Fire posted:

add me to the pile

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Gifted and Talented was clearly a CIA plot to find children with revolutionary potential and curtail it

honestly, tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Wait what

HOW DO I COUNT MY TITERS