Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami has the dolphins
The most moral football team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They not the same person my bad?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1432426803638022148

LOL isn't this the exact reason for the exempt list? (stolen from Ehud in the AFCE thread)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm figuring the Texans are willing to take the financial hit so they can keep Watson as viable trade bait.

That said, are players on the exempt list still paid?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm figuring the Texans are willing to take the financial hit so they can keep Watson as viable trade bait.

That said, are players on the exempt list still paid?

quote:

While on the commissioner's exempt list, a player is paid as if he were on the active roster, yet he does not count against his team's 53-man active roster limit.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ok that's kind of nuts to have Watson take up a roster spot.

Are they really that worried him in the exempt list will tank his trade value?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Android Apocalypse posted:

Ok that's kind of nuts to have Watson take up a roster spot.

Are they really that worried him in the exempt list will tank his trade value?

I think the exempt list is something the NFL not the team puts you on but I love that the Texans now have this Albatross around their neck.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ok, then it's even more hilarious that the Texans aren't contacting the NFL on the DL & asking "Hey, can you do us a solid & put Watson on the exempt list for us?"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goodwill seems terrified of putting him on the list.

For some reason

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Watson didn't destroy his phone when Goodell asked for it, it's all about not crossing Goodell personally if you don't want to get suspended

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Watson stays on the Texans inactive list for the entirety of his contract because the Texans won't come down from their asking price. He gets franchise tagged, twice. He puts on some weight

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Chucktesla posted:

Watson stays on the Texans inactive list for the entirety of his contract because the Texans won't come down from their asking price. He gets franchise tagged, twice. He puts on some weight

Is Watson an anti-vaxxer? If so he could follow Cousins' career path & end up on the Vikings.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It actually would be a really amusing proposition for Watson to just ride out the entire remainder of his deal sitting on the bench not active every game. He doesn't get to leave or play, so he'd miss effectively five years of his career before anyone could sign him. Amazing troll spite move by the Texans. Yeah he's getting paid but if he has any incentives he'll never get them, and despite getting paid he's still going to be miserable and mad because he's stuck there and literally wasting his career

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Nodoze posted:

It actually would be a really amusing proposition for Watson to just ride out the entire remainder of his deal sitting on the bench not active every game. He doesn't get to leave or play, so he'd miss effectively five years of his career before anyone could sign him. Amazing troll spite move by the Texans. Yeah he's getting paid but if he has any incentives he'll never get them, and despite getting paid he's still going to be miserable and mad because he's stuck there and literally wasting his career

Fine with this especially if all his pay goes to victims

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
His agent and the NFLPA would sue the Texans so fast it’d make your head spin.

Yes yes, I know, outrage and all that. But gotta keep up precedent and protect every player no matter if they’re saintly like Brady or a sexual predator like Watson

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Amy Pole Her posted:

His agent and the NFLPA would sue the Texans so fast it’d make your head spin.

Yes yes, I know, outrage and all that. But gotta keep up precedent and protect every player no matter if they’re saintly like Brady or a sexual predator like Watson

Yeah they will and should, but consider a bobby bonilla day for football where the Texans give Watson another 70 million twelve years from now while they wait for someone to offer them six first round picks and said teams best player: Zayden Rivers, son of Philip Rivers

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I'm almost starting to wonder if Easterby leaked the Watson trade story to Florio because he thought it would push someone to pull the trigger on a trade

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I don't think Easterby has any guile. He got to where he is by repeating a bunch of Christian adjacent, low-grade Ted talk bullshit. He's a corn-fed moron.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goodwill seems terrified of putting him on the list.

For some reason

It’s a hard decision that might have consequences and the focus testing and polling hasn’t told him what to do and DANGIT THIS IS HARD

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I don't think Easterby has any guile. He got to where he is by repeating a bunch of Christian adjacent, low-grade Ted talk bullshit. He's a corn-fed moron.

I mean either that or it's Caserio then

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

if you don't think those guys have guile then ho boy

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

JPrime posted:

if you don't think those guys have guile then ho boy

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1353773583475105792

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They don’t have guile but the dirty secret is you can be an effective manipulator without really needing any

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
All you need to manipulate a billionaire is tell them they're cool handsome and rich.

Yes a college basketball player that is going to be drafted and taking interviews certainly isn't going to know he's the best player among his friends.

Got'em

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 31, 2021

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Twitter thread on Watson.

TLDR: Grand jury still hasn't heard the case, four teams are still interested in Watson, unlikely that the grand jury hears the case and decides anything before the trade deadline.

https://twitter.com/byajperez/status/1438598694409064453?s=20

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
For these kinds of allegations, and for the amount of them, is this long a timeline abnormal? Obviously I’m not talking some final criminal trial being settled soon but to not even be close to a grand jury making a decision on if charges are warranted?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For these kinds of allegations, and for the amount of them, is this long a timeline abnormal? Obviously I’m not talking some final criminal trial being settled soon but to not even be close to a grand jury making a decision on if charges are warranted?

I have no clue. But if they're tying all the cases together there are a whole lot of people to interview here is what I assume is the problem?

Or at least the excuse.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Grittybeard posted:

I have no clue. But if they're tying all the cases together there are a whole lot of people to interview here is what I assume is the problem?

Or at least the excuse.

Covid is making everything run slower no matter what it is

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Nodoze posted:

Covid is making everything run slower no matter what it is

For reference to just how slow. I've been waiting for probate court to process some final papers on my moms estate since loving March. They didn't acknowledge receipt until late June.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/sarahbarshop/status/1439686448857288705?s=20

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why would Taylor getting hurt change anything when it's Watson who's refusing to play anyway?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

quote:

HOUSTON -- Quarterback Deshaun Watson will not be active for the Houston Texans' game against the Carolina Panthers on Thursday night despite starter Tyrod Taylor's uncertain status, coach David Culley said Monday.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Just gonna roll with one QB or are they signing someone/activating someone from the practice squad?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Letting him go up against the panthers defense on a short week would probably be the only punishment he ever receives.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Grittybeard posted:

Just gonna roll with one QB or are they signing someone/activating someone from the practice squad?

I have to assume they'll come up with someone beyond whoever the emergency QB is but as of the time I put that up it hadn't been reported

e: our practice squad QB is Jeff Driskel so, uh, lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Who cares there's no QB who's going to lead them to victory over the Panthers

Hell, not even Deshaun would most likely

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1440061166395346953?s=20

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Intruder posted:

Why would Taylor getting hurt change anything when it's Watson who's refusing to play anyway?

Watson reported, and practiced with the team in the preseason. It's now the Texans choosing not to play him.

Right now it's probably a combination of the team not wanting to be embarrassed because of the sexual assault charges, and not wanting him to get hurt.

I don't think Watson could play anyway, with the short week, I think he would need 5 days of covid tests to be eligible to play.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

syzpid posted:

Watson reported, and practiced with the team in the preseason.

These were things he had to do to not be fined, and even with the practices he did the bare minimum to qualify as "there"*. By all accounts he was and remains adamant he'll never play a down for the team again, and that stuck for preseason where he didn't play a down

*Links https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/25/texans-training-camp-practice-deshaun-watson/ https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/deshaun-watson-news-houston-texans-practice-fbi-not-nfl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

Who cares there's no QB who's going to lead them to victory over the Panthers

Hell, not even Deshaun would most likely

Its not about victories at this point, it's about seeing what we have in Mills. Having said that, it would be malpractice to go into a game with only Mills and the emergency QB available.

Chris James 2 posted:

These were things he had to do to not be fined, and even with the practices he did the bare minimum to qualify as "there"*. By all accounts he was and remains adamant he'll never play a down for the team again, and that stuck for preseason where he didn't play a down

*Links https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/25/texans-training-camp-practice-deshaun-watson/ https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/deshaun-watson-news-houston-texans-practice-fbi-not-nfl

Yeah they removed the ability to waive fines like that (except for rookies for some reason; I guess for draft pick holdouts?) otherwise we'd have just kept him the gently caress away