Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I like getting consumer silverware over commercial silverware because some of the consumer options are way thicker and sturdier and won’t bend from scooping thick goop. I haven’t seen commercial ones that were as strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Steve Yun posted:

I like getting consumer silverware over commercial silverware because some of the consumer options are way thicker and sturdier and won’t bend from scooping thick goop. I haven’t seen commercial ones that were as strong

Are those generally best bought in sets? I don't really care for having two different types of spoons and forks, and I'd rather they all dinner forks and dinner/tablespoons. Any particularly notable brands, or is it mostly whatever looks good? I know of oneida (and their...interesting history) as well as mikasa, but that's probably because they're either the biggest or spend the most on marketing

I'd still probably think of picking up a big set of cheap spoons, since I'd like to have a bunch to use while cooking. It's like $10 for 3 dozen

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Super cheap silverware tastes bad and you can tell when you're eating.

Go to Target and pick up a set of flatware and a set of Corelle dishes. If you're broker than that, go to Goodwill for them.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My favorite thing about buying the exact same set of flatware after 10 years is how much you realize that your grubby hands have deformed them.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Super cheap silverware tastes bad and you can tell when you're eating.

Go to Target and pick up a set of flatware and a set of Corelle dishes. If you're broker than that, go to Goodwill for them.

Fiiiiine. I found a set that doesn't have things I'll never use (e.g. cups), but I mostly use things that look similar to what they call "versa bowls" these days, so I'd probably pick some of those up too. Is there like...a standard name for that kind of half bowl half plate dish? I've seen similarly shaped dishes called all sorts of things like meal bowls, dinner bowls, pasta bowls, or raised edge plates.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well if they’re square we call them a versa tile

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I usually pick up old ceramic diner dishes from antique stores because they are so heavy that if my kids drop them on the floor, they don’t break. But my kids are animals so it’s a special use case. I don’t think I’ve ever had anything but hand me down silverware but the most recent time a relative was getting rid of some it was actually some nice stuff.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Well if they’re square we call them a versa tile

:pusheen:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Lol, no one buys any of that crap.

You make do while single with whatever odd assortment of things happened to appear in your apartment somehow. Then, when you get engaged you put everything on your registry and someone buys it for you.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
we go through plates at an alarming clip, and I love hideous plates, so I just went to the thrift store and bought a bunch of really ugly ones. (be careful, though... I hosed up and got one that looked food-safe but was screen printed or something rather than glazed. my weakness for commemorative church plates suckered me. (but the other commemorative church plate is fine.))

my best find in that vein was a few dozen retired airline plates from Delta, right when my kids were little. they're almost all gone now....

alternative answer:

https://www.themcelroy.family/2020/4/10/21215345/mbmbam-10-year-anniversary-plate

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
my mom bought me a starter set of corelle dishes when i went to college and years later i had to begin hunting ebay for more of the same like the crazy antiques hunters I made fun of as a kid because I couldn't bring myself to deliberately not match.

The cutlery that came with that set was crap and all died a horrible death early on though. handles split, rusted, melted (...that happens when you accidentally put it in the oven)

Have also stayed with friend who did not own a single matching anything, every kitchen item was a quirky goodwill discovery of "interesting" character, which made cupboard stacking a bit of an adventure. they did own one corelle plate (not in my pattern) but left it on a burner so it exploded. That was fun.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My sister in law is single, 40, and has 3 cats. She bought herself a nice set of dishware from pottery barn a few years back.

She uses paper plates. When she’s at our house, she uses my toddlers small 5” plastic plates because she “doesn’t want to use a good plate”. I think we got ours from crate and barrel a few years back and just use them for everything because…they are plates.

She’s an odd duck-I never wonder why she’s single anymore.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

we go through plates at an alarming clip, and I love hideous plates, so I just went to the thrift store and bought a bunch of really ugly ones. (be careful, though... I hosed up and got one that looked food-safe but was screen printed or something rather than glazed. my weakness for commemorative church plates suckered me. (but the other commemorative church plate is fine.))

my best find in that vein was a few dozen retired airline plates from Delta, right when my kids were little. they're almost all gone now....

alternative answer:

https://www.themcelroy.family/2020/4/10/21215345/mbmbam-10-year-anniversary-plate

If you’re ever in NYC you should go to fish’s eddy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
When you get dishes I say get 100% white no pattern no printing no color

It’s the easiest way to make sure everything matches when you decide to add new pieces to your collection

Take it from me, a guy who only has clear glass plates

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you’re ever in NYC you should go to fish’s eddy.

I will be and I'll check them out. thanks!

I also make some plates, but it's a learning process. I mostly handbuild them rather than making them on a wheel, and I'm trying to find glaze combinations that look good but are also safe (obv) and smooth.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

It’s taking a lot of rubbing but the gummy layer is coming off. The food network logo is gone and it looks 100x better now

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
still not seeing how that's anything other than a sex toy

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

prom candy posted:

still not seeing how that's anything other than a sex toy

It doesn’t help that has the same name as one of the most well known sex toys ever.

That being said, it’s a great invention for some folks. For the lazy, it makes it easy to open a bottle of wine in about 2 seconds. For the elderly and people with some types of disabilities, it makes it possible to open a bottle of wine at all.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I can’t imagine needing one now but if someone has arthritis or poor hand strength or a disability I guess I can see where it would make a big difference. I’ll put it in the category with jar opening devices other than a rubber band as something that I should buy before I need it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My ex drank a lot of wine and that kind of opener was awesome. I have a proper waiters corkscrew, but the rabbit makes it so fast.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

therobit posted:

I’ll put it in the category with jar opening devices other than a rubber band as something that I should buy before I need it.

Next time you're in the market for pot holders, I recommend one with a cloth layer and a silicone layer. Works great for grip on lid jars and hot things alike!

I don't like the only-silicone ones, the cloth inside slips on and off my hand nicely.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Next time you're in the market for pot holders, I recommend one with a cloth layer and a silicone layer. Works great for grip on lid jars and hot things alike!

I don't like the only-silicone ones, the cloth inside slips on and off my hand nicely.

IMO people should get in the habit of using something like this when you're interacting with Hot kitchen items (baking trays from the oven, cast iron, etc). Oven 'mitts' can be brutal if you don't realize it got wet somehow and you can't just let go and get the heat off you.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I don’t like silicone-only because if something is really hot they don’t work as well as a decently thick oven mitt. I’ll have to try some that have silicone on the outside and cloth on the inside. I prefer a full mitt because I am clumsy and have burned the top of my hand on the oven before.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

I'll put in my Anti-recommendation for the silicone front oven mitts. Every one I've bought has eventually melted in a weird chemical breakdown kind of way, not a got too hot kind of way. I stick with high quality padded cloth and make sure not to get them wet. I'm sure I just got some bad brands but this did happen on multiple ones and I'm soured on them forever.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I just use towels too much time spent in commercial kitchens.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kitchen towels are nice because they're a lot easier to clean than oven mitts

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
What's this nonsense about not getting oven mitts wet?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The water can get real hot and instantly turn to steam, burning you through the oven mitts.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Sous Videodrome posted:

I'll put in my Anti-recommendation for the silicone front oven mitts. Every one I've bought has eventually melted in a weird chemical breakdown kind of way, not a got too hot kind of way. I stick with high quality padded cloth and make sure not to get them wet. I'm sure I just got some bad brands but this did happen on multiple ones and I'm soured on them forever.

My Oxo oven mitts have silicone pads on the front and have held up for about 6 years at this point.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah wet oven mitts suuuuuck.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
love my oveglove far more than any mitts

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The kevlar gloves McMaster sells for ~$20 are the only thing worth discussing for hot metal handling.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
What brand makes the most durable toaster oven? Like under 300 dollars (unless there's something just above that that blows the next best out of the water)? I dunno if this is a stupid amount, but I'm tired of LED lights crapping out.

Also what about durable salt/pepper grinders?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

King of pepper grinders is the Magnum Unicorn unless you have an unusually strong ground pepper fetish in which case there's a kickstarter one that triples I believe

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

thechosenone posted:

What brand makes the most durable toaster oven? Like under 300 dollars (unless there's something just above that that blows the next best out of the water)? I dunno if this is a stupid amount, but I'm tired of LED lights crapping out.

Also what about durable salt/pepper grinders?
My understanding is that Peugeot grinders last long time and my peugeot gets a much finer grind than my unicorn.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Peugeot wins on aesthetics and fine grind. Magnum wins on having a dildo name and volume of ground pepper per turn. I have a magnum and have been using it for about 10 years

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happiness Commando posted:

Peugeot wins on aesthetics and fine grind. Magnum wins on having a dildo name and volume of ground pepper per turn. I have magnum

This is all you need to know. Choose fineness and aesthetics or pepper volume.

I adore my dildo themed pepper grinder though.

As for toaster ovens, the Breville Smart Oven is worth every penny imo. I hardly ever use my big oven anymore.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I use the Peugot Paris mill for S+P but honestly for how big it is (you can get different heights, I think mine is somewhere in the middle) I wish it had more reservoir for pepper. I must fill it every two weeks.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This is all you need to know. Choose fineness and aesthetics or pepper volume.

I adore my dildo themed pepper grinder though.

As for toaster ovens, the Breville Smart Oven is worth every penny imo. I hardly ever use my big oven anymore.

I agree on the breville, but I wonder about it’s longevity. I had one that only lasted about a year…finally broke down and bought another one because the other ones I tried just sucked.

I had a magnum grinder for about 4 years and then it broke. That things loving huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is that magnum grinder something you guys would put out on the table or is it like a kitchen device? Like would your guests unintentionally ruin their meal by overpeppering with it or does it become a conversation you must have every time?

Yea yea guests shouldn't have to season food but some of us have parents with delicate palates that can't tolerate appropriate seasoning and you gotta season to the lowest common denominator sometimes.