Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

All the fighty anime has a Thing. Maybe your anime’s Thing is comicbook superpowers, magic weapons, schools of sorcery, or high-tech gizmos, but you need a Thing and all Things have rules specifically for that critical scene when your protagonist breaks a rule to beat the bad guy. Bonus points if your bad guy also broke a rule.

Seto Kaiba threatens to commit suicide to win a card game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah show is pretty good, but generally the earlier stuff had much better pacing than chimera ant, which really should have been edited down.

nah

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Kamen Rider Build is a fight shonen but live action and it has almost no obnoxious voiceover fight exposition because it's not adapted from a manga and the stunt wrestling speaks for itself.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

If the thread will forgive a small bit of self promotion, my Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure podcast, Jojo’s World just wrapped up a watch-through of Revolutionary Girl Utena - a show that is as bizarre as it is good (I’d say I could talk about it for hours, but I already have!) - and we’re now taking our first break in about 5 years, until Jojo part 6 airs in December (other than maybe doing a couple movies in that time).

If you’re in the market for a banter-based anime recap/discussion podcast, I think you could do worse!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

are there no more youtube videos

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

It is a thread named online creators in RGD, not Youtuberaters thread in the forum Tubes of Goon Gou

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

Tbf this is a podcast forum

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Famethrowa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WJUD-wKzjo

(A video about the toxicity of the Voltron Fandom from the painted Kiwi)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cry7kbpPlDA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Seto Kaiba threatens to commit suicide to win a card game.

yugioh is easy to make fun of but there's some clever bits in it. i love the duel where kaiba plays a card to search otu slifer from yugi's deck and then add it to kaiba's hand, and kaiba specifically notes that slifer was on the bottom of yugi's deck, and then yugi activates a card that makes them swap their hands, so kaiba just searched slifer out for him. very funny bit.

Terrible Opinions posted:

At least the animated version of HunterHunter would have been massively improved by just editting out the majority of narration explaining people's emotions and super powers, and cutting out parts of scenes where nothing is happening to accommodate that narration. The visuals already communicate 99% of what's going on without issue. The narrator just serves to make it worse.
the narration in hunter x hunter is worth it just for the scene where shoot goes into his super mode and the narrator explains all his powers and how he's found a new way of using them, for like five minutes, and then goes 'and lastly, shoot pulls his collar up over his face. there is no particular reason for this, he just thought it looked cool.'

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

yugioh is easy to make fun of but there's some clever bits in it. i love the duel where kaiba plays a card to search otu slifer from yugi's deck and then add it to kaiba's hand, and kaiba specifically notes that slifer was on the bottom of yugi's deck, and then yugi activates a card that makes them swap their hands, so kaiba just searched slifer out for him. very funny bit.

I was going to post a very funny youtube video on this topic but uh.... Youtube nuked it apparently.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

I was going to post a very funny youtube video on this topic but uh.... Youtube nuked it apparently.

that channel got nuked i think which is a shame since it had a ton of funny vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1orCbCVS9X0

someone reuploaded my favorite tho

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1nqnZAKxw

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

that channel got nuked i think which is a shame since it had a ton of funny vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1orCbCVS9X0

someone reuploaded my favorite tho

Yeah that one is fantastic.

Love that you knew which channel I referred to with basically 0 reference.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

I mean Yugi flat out uses magic to cheat and will the cards he wants to the top of his deck. Even if Kaiba hadn't pulled his god card for him Yugi would have drawn it when he wanted it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the sequence where seto kaiba hacks into industrial illusions and crashes a satellite into the building housing their computer mainframe thereby committing an act of international terrorism in order to help yugi win a duel is peak fiction

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah that one is fantastic.

Love that you knew which channel I referred to with basically 0 reference.

Looks like there's a channel where someone reuploaded all of them:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6dsaisXD2TcuBfU-GOnupQ

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Augus posted:

the sequence where seto kaiba hacks into industrial illusions and crashes a satellite into the building housing their computer mainframe thereby committing an act of international terrorism in order to help yugi win a duel is peak fiction
I'm not powerful enough to have watched any unabridged yugioh but i did watch a video about a movie where Kaiba builds himself a 'one way teleporter to heaven' so he can duel Yugi one last time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The key difference between the unedited and abridged yugioh is that the original just never winks to the audience. Much like Original Generation Star Trek the creators trust you to find it funny without joke queues.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's a scene in the filler arc where Kaiba finds out Yugi lost a duel to some mook and just completely flips the gently caress out at him in the most over the top manner, and when the abridge version got to that episode LK was all "I honestly have no idea how to make this scene funnier than it already is."

Stuart just absolutely steals the show as Kaiba, say what you want about 4Kids they absolutely nailed that casting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eric Stuart steals every show he's in. The guy was born to play hyperbolic drama queens.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sydin posted:

There's a scene in the filler arc where Kaiba finds out Yugi lost a duel to some mook and just completely flips the gently caress out at him in the most over the top manner, and when the abridge version got to that episode LK was all "I honestly have no idea how to make this scene funnier than it already is."

Stuart just absolutely steals the show as Kaiba, say what you want about 4Kids they absolutely nailed that casting.

Arc Hammer posted:

Eric Stuart steals every show he's in. The guy was born to play hyperbolic drama queens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3KiG2tfloY

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kaiba's seiyuu Kenjiro Tsuda is also amazing. It's hard to choose between them really, they both perfectly channel that bombastic lunatic energy.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

It is absolutely amazing that the first thing Kaiba tries to do now that his company can do interstellar travel is, i think actually if the later seasons come into play, try to start a galactic war with Duel Monsters

And this was an international broadcast and no one gave a gently caress

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I recently found someone who is editing every Yugioh episode down to 1-2 minutes of footage. Their YouTube account was blocked but they’re still at it on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Bing_Bong_YGO?s=20

Frankly, as a kid who was there for the Egyptian magic and silly melodrama, but was not invested in the intricacies of the card game beyond season 1’s Calvinball approach, it gives me everything I’m after from the show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

I'm not powerful enough to have watched any unabridged yugioh but i did watch a video about a movie where Kaiba builds himself a 'one way teleporter to heaven' so he can duel Yugi one last time.

the dark secret is half the best jokes in abridged were literally already in the 4kids dub

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

Looks like there's a channel where someone reuploaded all of them:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6dsaisXD2TcuBfU-GOnupQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC5PH6nX4Yo

EDIT: This too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JW5GJ4WoAk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

the dark secret is half the best jokes in abridged were literally already in the 4kids dub

Bruh

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endorph posted:

Why you gotta call out LittleKuriboh like that.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

The best YGOabridged joke will always be this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2znloI4Vc&t=122s

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Endorph posted:

the even darker secret is that the japanese version is way funnier than the 4kids dub in some places

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

Only half? it really is the best abridged series.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkskyTGKKeM

ProZD did an episode of his podcast with Slowbeef. Who is... now... hot????????

EDIT: His description of the audio recording setup for his first video LP is loving incredible.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Endorph posted:

And the other half were just making fun of weird localisation decisions and replacing the words 'duel monsters' with 'a childrens card game'.

Imo LK's best work was the naruto seires he did that just ripped the poo poo out of the popular copycat naruto abridged series and did david bowie parody songs.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

A while back I saw a YGTAS/dub comparison clip and the TAS version was just the same exact joke except stretched out into not being remotely funny anymore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

A while back I saw a YGTAS/dub comparison clip and the TAS version was just the same exact joke except stretched out into not being remotely funny anymore.
yeah theres dozens of bits like that

like in the dub when marik starts to explain his plans and motivations to bakura and bakura goes 'i dont care' and then the scene cuts away, thats funny, and then littlekuriboh adds like 20 seconds of random dialogue to it for no reason

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
i'm sorry, the narration in hxh during the palace invasion is criminal. it's a shame because the best part of the whole series is stuck at the end of it (chairman/meruem)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The peak of HxH is yorknew

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yorknew is fantastic, but the Election arc is the absolute best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Augus posted:

Kaiba's seiyuu Kenjiro Tsuda is also amazing. It's hard to choose between them really, they both perfectly channel that bombastic lunatic energy.

As someone who was born there, is legally allowed to retain citizenship there and speaks the language fluently, can you please not do this? It’s incredibly cringey.