Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadDickOwl
Aug 18, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

laughin and jokin around until a ping surges through my brain agonizing of a fascist future where the right wanted this all along ontop of banning "CRT" in schools so open biden

It pinged long ago and only jokes make it bearable, we've been over this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
thank you healthcare heroes for saving peoples' lives in a pandemic. in recognition of your tremendous work, we made a run down to dollar tree and bought a handful of party goods

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Ice Phisherman posted:

Personally I think that the war for vaccine hesitancy will rise more than a few percentage points because the people who won't take the vaccine, mask up or attempt to isolate themselves if possible are going to die in droves, be horrified by the mass death or just that eventually real enforcement happens because capital finally decides that covid can't be lived with. Each time a new variant of covid runs through the US or really anywhere where there's a vaccine and people who won't take it this will deplete the population of people unwilling to vaccinate.

The number of dead rise dramatically when there are not enough hospital beds, staff or poo poo like oxygen to keep people alive. I can't repeat this enough. We're loving in for it. Delta is not going to be like alpha. We're going to have way more deaths and very possibly in a way that can't just be brunched through, no matter how hard they try.

Yeah. This. Vaccines will never contain covid. Not ever. There are too many variants that will adapt or have adapted to the vaccinations themselves. We're seeing something like the Red Queen's Race hypothesis in real time. Where species adapt, evolve and proliferate in order to survive against other adapting and co-evolving species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Queen_hypothesis

Covid came from bats and the immune system of bats are way, way better than ours. It's like if some hotshot baseball player stepped down from the majors (bats) and started brutalizing the minor league teams (humans). We can adapt but covid is just a better player at the game.

We will never, ever win against covid so long as we pit our immune system against it. It is simply better than us. Even with vaccines it is better than us because it mutates so quickly and once it mutates the mutant variant prospers and we're hosed once again. The only way we can defeat it is to not allow it access to our immune systems in the first place. We have to choose not to play. We as a species need to get our poo poo together enough not to allow it access to the respiratory systems of large numbers of people.

That's the only way we'll ever get rid of covid. Covid isn't a problem you can just defeat with science like some magic bullet. Covid is a social problem. Until we address the social problems we will never be rid of covid. Never. Not ever. And we can't live with covid either. It will wear us down and we will become less and less resilient until we start having social collapses. Each collapse that we don't learn from will invite an even worse collapse the next time.

I personally think that the only way we get through covid is that it kills enough people who are anti-vaccine or anti-mask or anti-shutting poo poo down that their ability to influence how society is run is severely reduced. That's not just the chuds. It's the capitalists who want to stay open at any cost. It's the libs who want to go back to brunch. Enough of them have to die or be ruined or horrified by covid into compliance or just worn down that it is finally a smarter decision to lock down and permanently defeat covid than it is to keep the economy open.

And sadly this will take time and a lot of bodies and a lot of grieving until we learn that covid can't be endemic. We can't live with it. The consequences are just too destructive and chaotic.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Hollismason posted:

You should do this imo

Unfortunately I'm the only income right now. Might start looking for jobs though, I've only been here for like 3 months and they all kind of suck.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Boss just told me his daughter tested positive! Good times.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm not using "worse" as in quality, I love both threads. I'm talking about mood. It's getting loving bleak in here, even the climate change thread regulars might tell you guys to lighten up.

I think the influx of unpinged masses makes it seem bleaker than normal.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1432370800741560323

Everything's fine, why do you ask

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I’m consistently 10-20 pages behind on this thread. Then I finally catch up and when I wake up in the morning I’m behind again. Can I somehow mainline the thread into my brain?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Ruggan posted:

I’m consistently 10-20 pages behind on this thread. Then I finally catch up and when I wake up in the morning I’m behind again. Can I somehow mainline the thread into my brain?

very few of the posts that were made today are worth reading

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Ruggan posted:

Planet's Dying, Ruggan!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

RadDickOwl posted:

It pinged long ago and only jokes make it bearable, we've been over this

this is a ping in retrograde where a neuron misfired and i see the future before the sauron eye shroud disappears and its back to the lols

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

y tho

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

:siren: WFH OPPORTUNITY, INQUIRE INSIDE :siren:

i only got 2 pms and 3 emails today :sad:

if you're trying to get out of the plague pits, LET A GOON HELP YOU. link's to not just my post, but other folks that are trying to get goons jobs so they can still post well into the future. GIVE ME YOUR RESUMES, STINKERS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3977556&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post517244780

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lol

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

AceOfFlames posted:

What if you have none of those things and your family just cares about you being a productive drone and dispensing endless advice about feeding yourself properly

ah, so you have kids too

i actually love my kids

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Lastgirl posted:

this is a ping in retrograde where a neuron misfired and i see the future before the sauron eye shroud disappears and its back to the lols

hey Cvrches is p cool and I’m wearing the tshirt I got when I saw them and Gojira and Deftones.

I’m so glad I got to go to a bunch of great shows at the end of 2019 with my wife. my tool destroyer hoodie makes me happy too.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I think I’m going to take the rest of the thread off till say Sunday And check back in. i’m traveling from LA to southern Oregon tomorrow where I live, (and I’m aware the smoke sucks). and once I’m back I’m sheltering in place for the appropriate amount of time before I take Covid tests just to be on the safe side. Aside from one run to the grocery store to stock up on Wednesday, I won’t need to go anywhere and I have a good mask to wear when I do. otherwise I can be boring and just get back to work from home. I figure if I don’t check in till Sunday the numbers will change and it gives me a little break about thinking about everything else.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

cr0y posted:

Whelp didn't need to know that was a possibility

My wife cracked rwo ribs after she caught bronchitis while pregnant. We went to the ER at around 3 am and she was essentially told she was imagining the pain she was in. Few months later she had to get an MRI for a cancer staging screen and lo and behold two broken ribs.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Solvent posted:

hey Cvrches is p cool and I’m wearing the tshirt I got when I saw them and Gojira and Deftones.

I’m so glad I got to go to a bunch of great shows at the end of 2019 with my wife. my tool destroyer hoodie makes me happy too.

:blessed: glad you were able to see them before everything went to poo poo :D

check out my gear

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

hmm

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
today is a pretty boring covid day even though i'm sure like 2000 people are dying of it today

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Lovelyn posted:

my hospital is doing $20k

no incentive bonus for core staff to stay on tho

but it's ok they got us

your HR department have a critical infestation of the brain worms

jfc

RadDickOwl
Aug 18, 2013

I missed something, what's wrong with Eric?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

these people provide nothing of value to society and think that because they've gathered a bunch of followers on a shitass site that they have the clout to bully whomever threatens their cushy liberal worldview

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RadDickOwl posted:

he upsets people who don’t like bad news

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sLSlukFanc

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rubby posted:

your HR department have a critical infestation of the brain worms

jfc

HR departments have been trained for decades now that what employees want isn't pay or benefits it's thoughtful gestures that make them feel appreciated and have fun at work like pizza parties or casual friday

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

RadDickOwl posted:

the dude hosed up spider man lore

he's dead to me

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Lovelyn posted:

my hospital is doing $20k

no incentive bonus for core staff to stay on tho

but it's ok they got us

There was a hospital around where I live that had to move the "heroes work here" sign to a second floor balcony because angry nurses and doctors kept ripping it down.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Lovelyn posted:

Finally came today! Also ended up ordering the double sided one in black v neck to be cut into a tank top, excited for it to arrive

:hellyeah: i will have that same combo when i get the shirt!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
it warms my heart to see goon respirator selfies

I hope it’s not myocarditis

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

RadDickOwl posted:

he talks too much about how bad covid is so the dumb lib who's been cosplaying as kilgore trout/kurt vonnegut for the past 5 years wants to purge both the covid denalist guy and the guy who says covid is bad because the truth is in the middle

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Ruggan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdAGlYZsl88

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

RadDickOwl posted:

Glenn was right and liberals want to ban anyone giving any news that makes them feel bad.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

RadDickOwl posted:

COVID is OVER and WE will NOT be INUNDATED with VARIANTS every 6MO! IGNORE THE BAD MAN

RadDickOwl
Aug 18, 2013

Covid-centrist marvel guy, very cool!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

:lol: this will never go away
like maybe it would if we all agreed to a hard quarantine for a few months but that's a lot of effort so better just to let this be life now

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

mastershakeman posted:

judges can do whatever they want and tell a deputy to put you in jail if you get mad at them

sure but did the judge tell a specific doctor to do it? because if not the doc could just say “gently caress that, I’m not doing it”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEajfIabv6s