Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

waiting for hospitals to collapse for maybe something to happen. lol that’s grim

gonna be india my dude.

the hospitals are all on the brink anyway, a combination of capital and state force will keep the system from falling apart and a whole lot of people will die as number decides the way forward is just culling anyone who can't survive the virus.

welcome to hell i guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2fat4sex
Apr 18, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So just to confirm; the danger in taking off my mask indoors is entirely to me, and not to the mask. So in situations where I have to demask because, say, I'm getting a nasal swab or a oral examination, there is zero reason to not wear the respirator?

And baby wipes + dish soup are good for cleaning?

Maybe we should put a FAQ for the elastomeric elite in the OP. Goon tips on maintenance and poo poo. Because I'm sure I'm not the only idiot baby with these sort of questions.

I could be wrong on this, it's been a while since I've seen the statistics, but generally fomite transmission is one of those things that's theoretically possible but vanishingly rare. Just don't go licking the exposed surface of your mask/respirator and you'll probably be fine. The biggest risk in that doctor's office scenario is you inhaling viral aerosols in the room, either from an infected physician/nurse or from an infected patient who was recently in the room, but this is a risk that you can't really eliminate if you're in that scenario. If you can get away with wearing an elastomeric to the doctor's office go for it, I generally would go for a fresh N95 in that case just because I don't want to have to swap masks if they raise a stink about the exhalation valve.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Casey Finnigan posted:

at least we won't have to wait too long

Here’s a preview from your future - heath care has already collapsed in the greater Tokyo area.

People are dying of diabetes, car crashes and other preventable poo poo coz there’s no room in hospitals in a 200km radius anymore.

They had literal TV crews follow the ambulances around as a poor loving doctor (my heart goes out to him) had to tell poor sucker after poor sucker he was gonna die coz they couldn’t get any beds.

Guess what’s changed?

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing!

The politicians say it may be hard to lift the “restrictions”.
They also reduced the number of tests to nothing. And that’s it. lol lmao

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

everyone talks like systemic collapse is the bad outcome

the bad outcome is number exerts enough control to keep the system plodding forward over the corpses of millions over the next 12 months as variant after variant engages pharma in an arms race.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

the system even likes it.

hell its solving all the problems with social security as we speak.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

VomitOnLino posted:

Here’s a preview from your future - heath care has already collapsed in the greater Tokyo area.

People are dying of diabetes, car crashes and other preventable poo poo coz there’s no room in hospitals in a 200km radius anymore.

They had literal TV crews follow the ambulances around as a poor loving doctor (my heart goes out to him) had to tell poor sucker after poor sucker he was gonna die coz they couldn’t get any beds.

Guess what’s changed?

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing!

capitalist gerontocracy owns

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

we wouldn't have to be afraid of things if with dealt with the actually legitimately scary thing that has killed a million people and is getting worse every day

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
wasnt the whole point of mrna vaccines to get iterations out there fast. wheres my delta specific mrna shot. gently caress

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Day by day we slide closer toward the only unvaccinated people being antivaxxers. With Re>1 and no end in sight I really wonder if this is what finally brings things to a boiling point in terms of stochastic violence in the US.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

wasnt the whole point of mrna vaccines to get iterations out there fast. wheres my delta specific mrna shot. gently caress

covid mutates faster than we can manufacture and test poo poo. it's been in the bat hyperbolic time chamber; it's swole af.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

lmao there's no way in hell we can outpace the virus

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

VomitOnLino posted:

Guess what’s changed?

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing!

Schnorkles posted:

everyone talks like systemic collapse is the bad outcome

the bad outcome is number exerts enough control to keep the system plodding forward over the corpses of millions over the next 12 months as variant after variant engages pharma in an arms race.

yeah this is probably what's gonna happen

gotta admit though there's a small part of me that wonders if this plays out differently when inflicted on a populace with 120.5 firearms per 100 people

e:fb by r.i.m.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

mrna is blindingly, blazingly fast as far as this is concerned, but consider the typical molecule that you put in your body is roughly a 10 year process after the underlying science is well understood.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is the guy whose policy every Capitalist country is adopting to manage COVID.

He is Nate Silver, MD and the cause of *points to everything in all directions*

https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1432513333941477376

https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1432474700945494016

https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1431965119056072707

https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1431420435711893515

https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1431220427758710784

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Martin Cull

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

pancake rabbit posted:

gotta admit though there's a small part of me that wonders if this plays out differently when inflicted on a populace with 120.5 firearms per 100 people

nah everyone in america hates each other much more than they hate the people in charge. they're gonna shoot up hospitals and schools and stuff. the only two kinds of political action americans are capable of are a) indiscriminate violence against vulnerable people or b) milling about aimlessly

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

pancake rabbit posted:

all the firearms are clustered in people who believe in this approach.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've seen enough. I'm calling it.

Covid is bad.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

we'll get back to normal folks

just going to be a lot of death, suffering, and long covid en route.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Yeah but it's also over. Once it kills a couple hundred thousand more UNVAXXED people it'll burn itself out.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

covid mutates faster than we can manufacture and test poo poo. it's been in the bat hyperbolic time chamber; it's swole af.

A colleague of mine did antibiotics for awhile at GSK (the last major enterprise who's still going after them) and had to finally give up because every 2-3 years all of his work would come crashing down around him

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Casey Finnigan posted:

the only two kinds of political action americans are capable of are a) indiscriminate violence against vulnerable people or b) milling about aimlessly

they managed to do both these things simultaneously on Jan 6, truly remarkable

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

A colleague of mine did antibiotics for awhile at GSK (the last major enterprise who's still going after them) and had to finally give up because every 2-3 years all of his work would come crashing down around him

lmao that owns

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

pancake rabbit posted:

The real horror for me and two of my also compromised friends is that soon enough, we’ll be duck marched back into the office. It will be after the elites have gone through the motions of theatrically throwing up their arms and saying “nothing to be done! It’s everywhere now!”

And then they will take away our respirators coz it reminds other proles of THE BAD THING and ruins their DEATH TRAINING.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1432161188717211649

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you

YOU'RE KILLING PEOPLE YOU ABSOLUTE HACKS

lol their recommendation for the non-valved mask (8210 and 8511) are both bad too and do not buy them because those masks with yellow rubber bands will get old and will literally just snap when you try to put it on at some point when you try to reuse them

buy the 3m 8247 if you must that's R95 and doesnt have a valve, the strap is made with some sort of fabric and will not snap like the above

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

lmao that owns

it turns out we don't win arms races in this sphere.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Atrocious Joe posted:

this is endemic COVID. you may not like it, but this is what living with COVID looks like.

Texas trying to use buses to increase ED capacity

https://twitter.com/thatgirl409/status/1432494210691784704?s=19

presumably will be converted into morgues next month

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

Martin Cull

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...chie-allen-show

quote:

Anti-lockdown advocate appears on radio show that has featured Holocaust deniers

Dr Martin Kulldorff discussed ‘Great Barrington declaration’ letter on Richie Allen Show

Niamh McIntyre and Pamela Duncan
Mon 19 Oct 2020 08.26 EDT

One of the three co-authors of a letter that calls for lockdowns to be abandoned in favour of herd immunity has appeared on a radio broadcast that previously featured multiple Holocaust deniers and antisemites.

Dr Martin Kulldorff of Harvard medical school appeared on the Richie Allen Show on 6 October to discuss the letter, described as the Great Barrington declaration, after the Massachusetts town where it was drawn up.

Kulldorff said he agreed to go on the programme because it was important to reach all segments of the population with public health messages. The show was described as an “online platform for antisemitic conspiracy theorists and Holocaust deniers” by Hope not Hate, an organisation that monitors extremist groups.

The controversial proposal was published by a right-leaning American thinktank, the American Institute for Economic Research. It was drawn up by three researchers – Dr Sunetra Gupta of Oxford University, Dr Jay Bhattacharya of Stanford University, and Kulldorff – and has garnered thousands of signatures from health professionals.

However, on 9 October, Sky News revealed that many of the “medical” signatories of the open letter were homeopaths, therapists or used obviously fake names, such as Dr Johnny Bananas and Dr Person Fakename, leading to accusations that the total number exaggerated the scale of scientific support.

The letter calls for those in higher-risk groups, including older people, to engage in shielding, while those in the least danger should “immediately be allowed to resume life as normal”.

However, other scientists have raised serious concerns over the core premise of the open letter, pointing to a lack of evidence that lasting immunity can be achieved, the practical difficulties in identifying all those who are vulnerable and the practicalities of shielding as well emerging cases of “long Covid”, which can affect otherwise healthy and sometimes young people who contract the virus.

During his appearance on the show, Kulldorff was asked whether younger people, who were less likely to die from Covid-19, should attend places such as football stadiums and cinemas without any social distancing.

He said: “Yes. Some things like washing the hands is always good, so keep doing that and if someone is sick they should stay home, but other than that live a fairly normal life,” adding that those over 60 should still be very careful.

When asked by the Guardian about his appearance on the show, Kulldorff said: “As a public health professional, it is critically important to reach all segments of the population.

“I have appeared in both right (eg the Spectator) and left media (eg Jacobin) … Regarding the Richie Allen Show, I had never heard of it before they invited me.”

There is no indication that Kulldorff shares any of the views expressed by other guests that have previously appeared on the Richie Allen Show, but the programme has a troubling history.

In 2016, Allen hosted the Holocaust denier Nick Kollerstrom, a regular on the show, on Holocaust Memorial Day, calling him an “old friend” and describing his 7/7 conspiracy theory work as “vital” and “essential”, according to Hope not Hate.

Allen has also hosted Alison Chabloz, a Holocaust denier who was prosecuted for uploading antisemitic musical performances to YouTube.

More recently, the channel has featured longstanding conspiracy theorists Dr Vernon Coleman and Piers Corbyn.

Guardian analysis of social media using the Facebook-owned analytics tool CrowdTangle show the Great Barrington declaration has been widely shared online by lockdown-sceptic politicians, anti-vaccination Facebook pages and conspiracy theorists since its publication.

The declaration has been shared by the senator Scott Jensen, a Minnesota state representative who has claimed the US Covid-19 death toll was exaggerated, and Russ Diamond, a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives who has boasted on social media about shopping without a mask.

Responding to the strategy outlined in the Great Barrington declaration, Prof Jeremy Rossman, an honorary senior lecturer in virology at the University of Kent, said: “Herd immunity relies on lasting immunological protection from coronavirus reinfection; however, we have heard many recent cases of reinfection occurring and some research suggests protective antibody responses may decay rapidly … While there is clearly a need to support and ease the physical and mental health burdens many are suffering under, the proposed declaration is both unlikely to succeed and puts the long-term health of many at risk.”

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

looking at america and jelly of the red maps and green number

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

we have been fully open biden for like over a year now

what are they crying so hard about

literally what can't you do today that you could do in 2019?

some of their friends or family won't do stuff with them now

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

fosborb posted:

hmm buses is pretty good logistical planning in that regard. maybe there is hope for this country after all

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

coke posted:

lol their recommendation for the non-valved mask (8210 and 8511) are both bad too and do not buy them because those masks with yellow rubber bands will get old and will literally just snap when you try to put it on at some point when you try to reuse them

buy the 3m 8247 if you must that's R95 and doesnt have a valve, the strap is made with some sort of fabric and will not snap like the above

Seconding this. At the start of the pandemic I had a couple of boxes of 8210s from various wood working and other projects involving particulates and goddamn did those yellow bands fail fast

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

lmao there's no way in hell we can outpace the virus

We know how the virus will mutate based on lab serial passage studies. It's time to stop messing around developing vaccines against extant viruses and to start designing vaccines for viruses yet to come. This is the sci-fi dystopic future, let's start acting like it.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

also i guess i'll post briefly here because why not

we've got like 7 openings for computer touchers (wfh for well, a long time) here and we're literally working on processes for anti-viral molecules right now, if both trying to solve this mess and programming interests you.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

It's going to own when NZ yeets delta out again and other countries will have to accept that all of their death and misery was indeed preventable and caused more by social and political failures rather than the virus.

LMAO who am I kidding, nobody is going to give a gently caress and the politicians and media fucks are going to keep spewing on about whatever supports their aims and ignoring anything contrary.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

fosborb posted:

non-zero chance they'll try to retrofit abortion clinics as EDs once they effectively become illegal on wednesday

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

also cancer

we're doing a lot of cancer rn

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Rubby posted:

https://twitter.com/CorieWhalen/status/1432531064136904705?s=20

In this house we

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* BeLiEve ScIeNCe *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

oh hey look at that, i was right

good thing we're not creating the perfect scenario for covid to mutate into something that bypasses vaccines!!!

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Golli posted:

Neighbor had a stroke (Alabama). Family called the ambulance. Ambulance came out, diagnosed it, and left, with explanation that there wasn’t any place to put them in the hospital. They did tell them to “keep an eye on it” though so it’s all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the deaths are rising too slowly to scare anyone i guess. 2000 deaths a day seems like a lot, but not if we've had more than 1000 deaths a day for a month.