Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

turbo rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

lmao i got my game gear today and the tv tuner a few days ago

check this poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJGAdiV6_qc

When I was a wee lad in the Ozark Mountains at the tail end of the 20th century, I heard about this magical device called a Game Gear and it BLEW MY loving MIND that you could watch OTA TV with a hand held.

The irony that I'm sending this message on a smartphone while on the toilet is not lost on me.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
it worked great too for all about 12 minutes you could get off 6 AA batts

hope you had a dad who worked at fuckin duracell

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
My wife found a Philco 40-165 at a thrift store today for $130. She liked the style and she sent me photos. It's shortwave capable and can also listen in on 160, 80, and 40 meters, so what the hell, told her to buy it and I'm gonna learn about restoring a radio that's only a few years younger than my grandmother!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ooooh. big old art deco ish setup. nice.

* ALMOST GUARANTEED TO NEED REPLACEMENT: filter and any paper capacitors.
* FLIP A COIN - MAYBE GOOD MAYBE NOT: tubes, esp the rectifier and audio amp
* PRAY ITS GOOD: speaker
* TAKE A LOOK AND SEE: power cord. probably frayed

good luck and keep us posted. love the big tanks, i bet it'll sound great

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I'm far from an expert but I'm writing everything off. Gonna strip every cap, wire and tube out of this bitch and see if I can get her to power up.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mycomancy posted:

I'm far from an expert but I'm writing everything off. Gonna strip every cap, wire and tube out of this bitch and see if I can get her to power up.

well if you do that it won't work at all!!!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what's a good place to order an fm antenna from that isn't amazon? just need a 75 ohm antenna that'll plug into the back of a sony str-dh800 receiver

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

id probably use ebay for that sort of thing. or just shove a wire into it and see what happens. kinda depends on what the connector is, fm loop antennas arent too hard to find so long as the connector is reasonable

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's a good place to order an fm antenna from that isn't amazon? just need a 75 ohm antenna that'll plug into the back of a sony str-dh800 receiver

I mean you can go to best buy if you feel like paying 2-3x premium over amazon for the same thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just a little internal T wire dipole or some sort of outdoor/"good" antenna? idk ebay probably has a thousand of the former

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'll do ebay then. thanks!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

are there any crucial ham apps for iPads?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

simply turn off your ipad

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Achmed Jones posted:

i saw this mentioned in the arrl magazine but haven't used it yet: https://www.hamrs.app/

also, for anyone that uses sdrsharp this guide was just updated: https://airspy.com/downloads/SDRSharp_The_Guide_v3.0_ENG.pdf

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
pretend this post is in yospos style, i am lazy

quote:

:siren: European Goons :siren:

We're having the second SAARS DMR net at a reasonable time for Europeans this Saturday 4th September at 6pm UK time, 7pm CEST.

People from elsewhere are also welcome, and we encourage you to join. Hopefully we'll make this a semi-regular thing.

TG 3163563

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the DMR nets are fun and i try to make them. thats actually a great time for me, i will show up and shoot my pistols in the air and hoot yosemite sam style

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my radio rebroadcast thing is working great, but it's also very splattery: lots of bleed onto frequencies that i dont want. passive bandpass filters are easy to create. the problem is that whatever i use to connect the gpio pin and the bandpass filter itself will radiate, 'cause a little jumper wire is enough to send the signal out perfectly. so, then, i need some shielded jumper wire i guess to make sure that i'm not radiating from wire between my gpio pin. is my best bet to just make a little shielded box to sit on top of the pi with an input wire and an output antenna sticking out and then minimize the length of jumper between the two? i can probably get the length of jumper pretty small if i do that, but it'd be great to shield the connection itself, too.

i can't put the whole thing in a faraday cage because it needs to be able to get wifi (i don't have any clue how i'd connect an exernal antenna to a pi-zero and absolutely don't want to mess with a usb wifi adapter)

i'll probably end up buying a pi-zero-w without a gpio header and just soldering the single wire in directly to the appropriate gpio pin (and ground) for the final project so i'll have a little bit of space to play with a caging solution, but i really feel like a shielded wire is my best bet if such a thing exists

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hmm. Item 1: exactly how much splatter are we talkin' about? Are you seeing it over like a mhz or two, or like a 40 mhz range? I ask because, well, high "Q" - read: sharp - filters are quite intricate and finicky to tune. For some context I have a 2 meter bandpass cavity filter and it's about 12"x4"x6" and is still only tight enough to pass a 10 MHz range.

In addition, it's hard to say what the output impedance of your GPIO pin is - and filters work best with known input/output impedances that they are then designed for.

That being said, what I would do:

* Find a suitable GPIO pin that is directly next to a ground pin.
* Buy a short SMA female to <whatever> cable. Make sure the SMA female has a flange and a nut so you can chassis mount it. The other end doesn't matter, because -
* you're going to cut the far end off, and _carefully_ (this micro coax is super fragile) strip the last 1/4", separate the shield and center, tin both leads and then -
* solder them directly to the pads for the ground and GPIO pin you've picked.

Keep in mind that there's always going to be trace length between the GPIO pin out on the chip and the actual header, so this may not even be worth it.

God, I wish Ramsey was still around because the FM10 was $40 and the perfect thing for your application - and actually had good stability and filtering. it was also low power enough that unless you hooked it to a big rear end outdoor antenna you wouldn't get any FCC knocks.

Sadly the "Part 15 Compliant" FM transmitter market is just completely dead outside of the cigarette lighter adapters that you can use to transmit phone audio to a FM car stereo.

edit: Which....ok, look. depending on how much you want to keep this a 'pure raspberry pi only' project or not, might be worth considering. Get a line out from the Pi, get one of those little car FM transmitters, hardwire the audio in, and get a 5v -> 12v boost converter on a tiny PCB to feed power.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 5, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh yeah we're talking, like, 6-10mhz on either side. it might be that a band pass that i could rig up wouldn't do the needful in the first place.

that fm10 looks rad - i'll keep an eye out on goodwill, ebay, etc for an fm10 kit (right now there's one on ebay for $90, but that's too much for me)

thanks for the tip re: the sma lead! I'll look further into getting that set up. I considered the same thing with the car lighter adapters, but all the stuff i found was pretty big and clunky, which i'd like to avoid if i can

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, understood. Keep in mind that any of those $10 ones you find on ebay are likely 90% airspace with one or maybe two PCBs. Rip that sumbitch apart and hot glue it in a box and start soldering up fly leads

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh nice, that might make things easier!

i just had a look at boost converter circuits, and cause of the fast switching thing i'd probably buy over build; is there any realistic chance that a transmitter would have a buck converter i could just yank out, or is it pretty much going to actually need 12v?

e: oh yeah i was having trouble finding premade circuits through google, but i searched on ebay and they're everywhere and cheap a f

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 5, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah every form of low current dc-dc converter is like $1.29 a board on all the markets, it's a super cheap tech now.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

street found this today. even if it doesnt work its gorgeous

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you should probably return it to fred

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fred's dead, baby. fred's dead

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

holy poo poo that is a rad looking radio

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
late sixties through early seventies radios were the coolest.

Here's a quick run through some of the heavy hitters of the Cold War era.

http://www.w8zr.net/vintage/receivers/index.htm

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

c radio s: got my rebroadcaster code ported to golang rather than ruby. it runs quite well on the raspberry pi zero. it's not quite feature-complete yet (it doesn't actually write its state to the state file) but that's trivial to implement. i've spent the last few days tracking down a bug that was leading to duplicate processes being spawned

i had a goroutine that runs the play-the-stream command and then blocks until it exists. i was using cmd.Run() inside the goroutine. what happened was that in the time between the implicit cmd.Start and cmd.Wait(), the process's pid was still unset, so the reconciler and other code would think that we weren't broadcasting when we were. just needed to call cmd.Start() outside the goroutine (which blocks and sets pid when it returns) and then call cmd.Wait() in the goroutine. that blocks until complete, and after that i write to the "the command is terminated" channel and everything works

it sucked bc it worked perfectly on my server - it was only on the much slower raspberry pi zero that the delta between Start and Wait was observable

anyway that's done now. i also bit the bullet and moved the ui out of standard forms and into a js thing that just writes a blob of json state. it's basically a dumb little spa with no framework or anything like that beyond jquery and bootstrap lol. it works much better now.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Achmed Jones posted:

c radio s: got my rebroadcaster code ported to golang rather than ruby. it runs quite well on the raspberry pi zero. it's not quite feature-complete yet (it doesn't actually write its state to the state file) but that's trivial to implement. i've spent the last few days tracking down a bug that was leading to duplicate processes being spawned

i had a goroutine that runs the play-the-stream command and then blocks until it exists. i was using cmd.Run() inside the goroutine. what happened was that in the time between the implicit cmd.Start and cmd.Wait(), the process's pid was still unset, so the reconciler and other code would think that we weren't broadcasting when we were. just needed to call cmd.Start() outside the goroutine (which blocks and sets pid when it returns) and then call cmd.Wait() in the goroutine. that blocks until complete, and after that i write to the "the command is terminated" channel and everything works

it sucked bc it worked perfectly on my server - it was only on the much slower raspberry pi zero that the delta between Start and Wait was observable

anyway that's done now. i also bit the bullet and moved the ui out of standard forms and into a js thing that just writes a blob of json state. it's basically a dumb little spa with no framework or anything like that beyond jquery and bootstrap lol. it works much better now.

Do you have this on a github/bitbucket or something? If you wanna share on the Discord instead of here, that is fine.

But, it sounds like you need a mutex lock over what you're doing and possibly using context. What you're experiencing shouldn't be a thing, but glad to hear you got it working!

Also, gently caress JS...

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

haha yeah i have mutexes for the state changing operations, that's why it was so fuckin confusing! the turnOn funcs were finishing and releasing their locks before the process had spawned and put the pid in the cmd struct

it's not public on github yet, i probably won't release it until i have a full "build a raspberry pi image" pipeline set up

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Achmed Jones posted:

haha yeah i have mutexes for the state changing operations, that's why it was so fuckin confusing! the turnOn funcs were finishing and releasing their locks before the process had spawned and put the pid in the cmd struct

it's not public on github yet, i probably won't release it until i have a full "build a raspberry pi image" pipeline set up

Cool, let's shoot the poo poo on it on the discord for it then. Without seeing the code I can't really know why they would, but it's probably something that could be solved by using context.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i am stunned at how many contacts im seeing daily on 20 and 40 meter ft8; such a cool mode

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

come net with us, bellends. In precisely 3 hours time from this post.

BM TG 3163563

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

thehustler posted:

BM TG 3163563

what's that mean?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

what's that mean?

brandmeister talkgroup that-number

brandmeister is a dmr network - the big one, though there are others. talk groups are part of dmr - they're basically chat rooms that are isolated from the rest of the network in the sense that messages have a tg id. anyone with the number (or who sets their radio to promiscuous and the repeater happens to carry that tg) can participate

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ah poo poo sorry I thought the details were more well-known than that. thanks for stepping in with the explanation

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
i've been meaning to get more into radio lately. i've had my general ticket for nearly 10 years but have done gently caress all with it. i bought the arrl extra study guide but i need some cool goals to get motivated

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
thanks for the explanation! I've never touched dmr, sounds neat though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

dmr is a pretty fun mode that lets you mix “real radio” with internet radio so everyone can play along and you dont need a huge mega station to participate.

the downside is the laughably bad programming software but anyone in this forum would find amusing vs alarmingly difficult