Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SirPhoebos posted:

What would this thread recommend as the best WWF/WCW/ECW wrestling matches for 1997-1999? Specifically stuff that you would show off to someone who likes Pro-wrestling but hasn't seen anything from the Attitude Era?

Rey vs Eddy from Havoc 97
DDP vs Benoit vs Raven from Uncensored 98
Juvy vs Rey vs Kidman from Starrcade 98
Awesome vs Tanaka from Heatwave 98 and ECW on TNN #19 (from the Westchester County Center)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Austin and Dude Love from Over the Edge in 1998.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SG Bamboo posted:

Robbie was so poo poo the first time she had to train him twice

Bah, meant to put Charli Evans

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If you want some late-era ECW, Holiday Hell 2000 had a 2/3 falls FBI vs Tajiri/Whipwreck match that I remember loving at the time, though I haven't seen it since so I don't know how well it holds up.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn from Hardcore Heaven 99 is a personal favourite.

Hardy Boyz vs Edge & Christian ladder match from No Mercy 99 was also pretty good and influenced a bunch of future matches.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

If you want some late-era ECW, Holiday Hell 2000 had a 2/3 falls FBI vs Tajiri/Whipwreck match that I remember loving at the time, though I haven't seen it since so I don't know how well it holds up.

Those 2 teams were magic together, partly because Guido made Tajiri look like a killer with his selling

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
What are some of the best examples of what I commonly see referred to as "murder-Ibushi"?

It's honestly one of my favorite little things in wrestling. It's not the first hit, but the gap between the first and second after activation where the guy's like "wait...gently caress".

Bonus points for examples that aren't actually Ibushi.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

FakePoet posted:

What are some of the best examples of what I commonly see referred to as "murder-Ibushi"?

It's honestly one of my favorite little things in wrestling. It's not the first hit, but the gap between the first and second after activation where the guy's like "wait...gently caress".

Hogan Hulking Up, and I'm only half-joking

Benne fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 30, 2021

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, the murder's no-sell is literally what Hogan was doing for decades.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Does anyone have a link to the "that escalated quickly" Gary Albright promo? Real heads know the one.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
While it's not really among the best matches, Mankind vs. Taker HIAC is obviously pretty important one from that era.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kennel posted:

While it's not really among the best matches, Mankind vs. Taker HIAC is obviously pretty important one from that era.

It certainly shows off the spectacle side of wrestling. 0/5 stars for wrestling, 5/5 entertainment.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It certainly shows off the spectacle side of wrestling. 0/5 stars for wrestling, 5/5 entertainment.

I'm just trying to imagine PSP as we know it reacting to Mick's bumps

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Imagine if it happened in AEW today and the fake outrage antis reaction.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

think of the reaction to matt hardy's injury at all out last year but an order of magnitude more

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sick foley with yet another wmoty

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, the murder's no-sell is literally what Hogan was doing for decades.

Chief Jay Strongbow was doing that earlier than Hogan. His opponent would beat on him and he'd shake it off and start doing an invincible wardance. I'm not sure if there are instances before him, but probably. What makes Ibushi's so great though is that he's so stoic about it and stands perfectly still.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

With Ibushi it's that he not only no sells but also just goes killer on his strikes in a way he normally doesn't do which makes it crazy

But the best Murder Ibushi spot is the counter Tana did in their G1 final where Ibushi starts to murder and Tana just no sells it

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Ibushi’s murder mode is different because he goes all stoic and dead-eyed rather than animated and hulking up.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Yuka Sakazaki has a similar Murder Mode. It's like she's an android who has been activated.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I remember Bryan Danielson kind of snapping and loving people up every now and again.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lamuella posted:

Yuka Sakazaki has a similar Murder Mode. It's like she's an android who has been activated.

Pissed off Yuka works so well because its such a contrast to her normal personality

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
ken shamrock when he snapped

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What is Ultimo Dragon's entrance theme that's unfortunately muted in Dragongate streams?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

But the best Murder Ibushi spot is the counter Tana did in their G1 final where Ibushi starts to murder and Tana just no sells it

Ibushi saw the face of pure wrath and freaked out.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lily Catts posted:

What is Ultimo Dragon's entrance theme that's unfortunately muted in Dragongate streams?

Separados by Luis Miguel

Bokutimo Dragon used a cover of it earlier

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

FakePoet posted:

The two best Ibushi instances of this are the match with Tanahashi in the G1 Final and the match with Okada at the Tokyo Dome.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
When did it become a requirement that all Hell in a Cell matches feature two people hanging onto the cage above the announcers tables for fifteen minutes smacking each other before someone finally falls through one of them? There's a compilation WWE put up on YouTube over the weekend and there's like seven or eight of the exact same spot in a row just with different people.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Started with the first one

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

I remember Bryan Danielson kind of snapping and loving people up every now and again.

I hope he gets to bring back his "relentless elbows to the head & neck until the ref stops the match" finish

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

When did it become a requirement that all Hell in a Cell matches feature two people hanging onto the cage above the announcers tables for fifteen minutes smacking each other before someone finally falls through one of them? There's a compilation WWE put up on YouTube over the weekend and there's like seven or eight of the exact same spot in a row just with different people.

After Mankind/Undertaker when everyone realized they couldn't or wouldn't do that, and imitating Shawn Michaels instead was easier. It's also a symptom of the match being over exposed for the last twenty years.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

After Mankind/Undertaker when everyone realized they couldn't or wouldn't do that, and imitating Shawn Michaels instead was easier. It's also a symptom of the match being over exposed for the last twenty years.

They should have cut HIAC off for like, 4-5 years afterwards. Instead, they watered it down (although I'm glad the psychotic bumps are less prevalent).

Probably could have seen it coming when they put one on RAW.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Has Ibushi ever won a match with the Bastard Driver? Every time he hits it its devastating, horrifying, and thinking about it... a near fall.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

They should have cut HIAC off for like, 4-5 years afterwards. Instead, they watered it down (although I'm glad the psychotic bumps are less prevalent).
I think that when you turn various kinds of deathmatch into an event that just happens every October or December or whenever, it necessarily waters it down. Like, the Elimination Chamber makes sense as a concept because there's something for 6 guys to fight over, but why are two guys having a ladder match just because this is the month when we do that? Don't reverse-engineer the grudge to suit the grudge match in such a contrived way, is my opinion.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I think that when you turn various kinds of deathmatch into an event that just happens every October or December or whenever, it necessarily waters it down. Like, the Elimination Chamber makes sense as a concept because there's something for 6 guys to fight over, but why are two guys having a ladder match just because this is the month when we do that? Don't reverse-engineer the grudge to suit the grudge match in such a contrived way, is my opinion.

100% agreed

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What was the deal with Vince's Million Dollar Mania in 2008? I had been led to believe that it was all a work from the start, with the Rick Rolls and Vince being unable to use a phone just being your standard WWE "comedy", but I've also read reports that it was legit in at least the first two weeks, before they just admitted that it was a complete trainwreck that had lost loads of money AND viewers, and so they used it as a way to introduce the "Raw in chaos" and GM Mike Adamle storylines instead. I don't know who to believe.

Slightly related, has the WWE stock ever plummeted whenever they've done a "Vince gets beaten up/killed" storyline, like when Trump somehow bought Raw and they had to immediately scramble to save themselves when the numbers fell off a cliff? I'm thinking of the limo explosion in particular, because I vividly remember WWE.com being plastered with "LIMO EXPLODES - VINCE MIGHT BE DEAD" headlines that seemed to fool a number of people. Or did they clarify that it was kayfabe... before having to put the kibosh on it anyway because of Benoit?

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 31, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that was not a work at all they would run afoul of a bunch of sweepstakes regulations, right?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My favorite story about the limo explosion is that Trump thought it was real. Is it true? Who cares, it's completely believable.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My favorite story about the limo explosion is that Trump thought it was real. Is it true? Who cares, it's completely believable.

Even funnier, WWE's stock price dropped when he kayfabe purchased the company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

that was something triple h said on stern i believe