Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Question IRL posted:

Just going back to this. When dogs are put down, they are in lots of pain and also terrified because they don't understand what is going on.
Very often owners don't accompany their dogs because it is too upsetting for the owner. This in turn makes it worse for the dog as they don't have a friendly face with them at the end.

The fact that you were there was a very good thing you did. Even if those vets sound like hacks who did a bad job and kicked you out because your presence made them guilty, you still gave that dog comfort when it needed it.

You should always remember that.

Thanks for that.

Actually one thing I did which I just remembered was whisper in the dog's ear (just 'safe journey' or something like that). And the vets were surprised and - is 'delighted' too strong a word? asked a mutual friend if I was a muslimah because apparently whispering the shahadda in a dying person's ear is something muslims do (assuming they know the person is dying). I didn't whisper the shahadda in the dog's ear but they seem to have assumed I'd done something similar.

Page snipe: why does this keep happening to me. 361 is the same as 1 if you rotate yourself around. So if you go too far round you're just past back where you started. Isn't this something like the pesky horseshoe theory the gammonati go on about?

That was such a naff snipe, here's something that cheered my heart: heavy distortion harp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNINWMqxQQc

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Actually one thing I did which I just remembered was whisper in the dog's ear (just 'safe journey' or something like that). And the vets were surprised and - is 'delighted' too strong a word? asked a mutual friend if I was a muslimah because apparently whispering the shahadda in a dying person's ear is something muslims do (assuming they know the person is dying). I didn't whisper the shahadda in the dog's ear but they seem to have assumed I'd done something similar.
Hussein Kesvani of Trashfuture has a recurring bit on twitter where he claims to be whispering verses of the Quran at various people:

I think the last time he did it, it was claiming to be a builder and turning people's extensions into a mosque.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
pepperidge joe remembers

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
from usnews thread:

https://twitter.com/Rob_Noorollah/s...ingawful.com%2F

meanwhile everyone goes, “oh, golly gee, oh no, darn.”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What're you gonna do about it nige, crash a light aircraft into the white house lawn and bleed on him?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

"oh nooo what will we do without the British?"

Animals being put to sleep: It's good to be with them if you can. It's understandable if it's too traumatic for you because Christ does it suck but we do our best to hold it together, say goodbye, and rest a hand on them or hold their paw until they're gone before breaking down utterly. Also, idk if it's the same with dogs, but with cats leave their collar on until after, if they wear one usually, apparently because taking it off is unusual it can make them more upset.

My understanding is Islam has long held cats in high regard, examples such as the aforementioned Muhammed cutting off part of his robe rather than disturb his cat, and one of his companions being known as the Father of Kittens because he loved the dang things so much. And if a cat eats from food or drinks from water, that doesn't obviate its status as halal or suitable for wudu respectively. Oh and I think they're allowed to enter mosques freely?

MikeCrotch posted:

Boris was clearly angling for a Trump repeat

Oh absolutely, it's just hilarious they've kept up that angle for over eight months after Biden became Prez

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh absolutely, it's just hilarious they've kept up that angle for over eight months after Biden became Prez

lol Boris going all in on that the pillow guy might be onto something with 'Trump will be reinstated by X date'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dying empires are always hilarious to watch as their ruling class is still raised to believe they're a superpower and incapable of confronting reality or accurately assessing their own position of strength as a result.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

from usnews thread:

https://twitter.com/Rob_Noorollah/s...ingawful.com%2F

meanwhile everyone goes, “oh, golly gee, oh no, darn.”

When I won Brexit I disappeared for 40 months, now that I am back again I am sit not fit to be in the position.

Now please excuse me, I have to go shout at some walls that may have been painted by foreigners.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Lol forever at Biden just point blank refusing to indulge the UK's post-imperial delusions about the 'special relationship'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lol forever at Biden just point blank refusing to indulge the UK's post-imperial delusions about the 'special relationship'.

The UK is in the unfortunate position of being someone that absolutely everyone in the USA agrees that they can dunk on

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh and I think they're allowed to enter mosques freely?

Is this just because it's impossible to stop them :v:

I did a show in Istanbul and there were loads of cats just wandering around backstage. So cute. The only reason they didn't walk onstage during the show was because the dancing was scaring them off.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobstar posted:

Is this just because it's impossible to stop them :v:

I did a show in Istanbul and there were loads of cats just wandering around backstage. So cute. The only reason they didn't walk onstage during the show was because the dancing was scaring them off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbjI6r-CnWc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cats always seem barely domesticated, like if human society collapsed most of them would shrug and wander off into the woods.

There's a big problem with Scottish wildcats in that domestic cats keep interbreeding with them. A problem from a species preservation perspective at least, none of the cats seem to mind.

All small Felis look like they're waiting for someone to give them food or go away though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I like cats. Lots of neighburs have cats. Most of them run away from me instead of wanting to play, then poo poo on my small lawn when I'm not around.

The one cat that used to talkative and friendly hasn't been around all summer...

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

Cats always seem barely domesticated, like if human society collapsed most of them would shrug and wander off into the woods.

i seem to recall reading somewhere that domestic cats are not really domesticated at all. as in, they did not go through the process that dogs went through, and are essentially wild; they just chose at some point (and still choose) to hang around humans and reap the benefits - it's more of a symbiotic relationship, in essense. something about grain reserves attracting rodents and cats already being perfectly suited to deal with that particular issue

of course this might be very wrong or i might be misremembering, but all my experience with cats seems to at least somewhat confirm this theory :v:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

Not mine, my cat would die fast if she had to fend for herself.

Total airhead, no skills whatsoever, absolutely useless creature.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jaeluni Asjil mentioned the left hand of God series a while back so I decided to try it out. It’s…weird. English (specifically English, not British). Boomerish, meant as description not insult: the author is on a wild, quixotic quest to reference every military and historical story that would resonate with an English reader born between maybe 1950 and 1970? A couple of decades before my time, enough to feel the disconnect. It is completely uninterested in culture wars, on either side, in a way that’s unimaginable in most 2020s fantasy.

But it has interesting ideas, and the author’s afterword to the last book, The Beating of his Wings, is so good that it justifies the cost of the entire series by itself. In a way it feels like not real genre fiction somehow: a proper literary author dipping into fantasy.

I enjoyed it and am grateful to you, JA, for the rec.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I just heard homelessness described as "the homeless sector" :barf:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I just heard homelessness described as "the homeless sector" :barf:

Really booming right now, a lot of growth.

Lot of hungry stakeholders with a good visibility on the high street.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You're supposed to say 'unhoused' now. Not as part of any broader plan to get society to deal with it as a systemic issue, but because it sounds better. Like uninsured or uneducated or unalive.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the penniless pound

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I love my cat but she has learned that a foolproof way to wake me up is to sit on my pillow and lean over to smack me right in the eyeball. I've accepted that she is just better than me at this point.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
let me guess who came out with it

rachael reeves

thangam debbonnaire

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
lisa towns

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

keep punching joe posted:

Not mine, my cat would die fast if she had to fend for herself.

Total airhead, no skills whatsoever, absolutely useless creature.

dont sign your posts op

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

"Unhoused" is such a weird euphemistic term. It is literally just a different way of saying "homeless". I don't see how it is in any way more kind or understanding than the original word.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Unhoused should be saved for when someone's sheltering in their house from a tornado but then the tornado rips up the house and takes it away while leaving the person intact.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's like the euphemism treadmill that took place elsewhere (e.g. in mental health) where you start off calling people 'vagrants' and 'asocial' and 'insane' and things where the implication is that it's an intrinsic moral flaw or they're doing it on purpose to piss you off, so off to the poorhouse or prison or asylum, then that gets you eugenics and Hitlers and everyone goes "oops, well that wasn't us" and you get a move towards language like 'homeless' and 'unintegrated' and 'mental illness' where the focus is at least in theory on addressing the issue and helping the person rather than work camps, then suddenly there's no such thing as society so we can't do any of those things but you can still ratchet the euphemism along without actually doing anything.

I see what they're going for in that 'homeless' itself became something of a state of the person where 'unhoused' focuses on the issue being lacking suitable housing, but unless it's paired with a plan to do something other than make it sound less bad, it's just more

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1432652520506146818?s=19

:ohdear:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Geronimo gonna get Epstein'd

V nice

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tomorrow: alpaca mysteriously found dead in its cell

e: ^ :hfive:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Some specially bred cats seem pretty domesticated, like some friends' Burmese which will just start purring no matter whose lap they are dropped onto.

On the other hand you have Marcie who is half Maine Coon* and half feral barn cat and at 1 year old is 5kg of all-killer-no-filler terrible destructive force.

* I still feel uncomfortable writing this but it's not my fault

** yes I like posting photos of my cat

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I was homeless for a while & would have preferred "unhoused", because I had a home, it was the town that I grew up in. I just didn't have a house there.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

nurmie posted:

i seem to recall reading somewhere that domestic cats are not really domesticated at all. as in, they did not go through the process that dogs went through, and are essentially wild; they just chose at some point (and still choose) to hang around humans and reap the benefits - it's more of a symbiotic relationship, in essense. something about grain reserves attracting rodents and cats already being perfectly suited to deal with that particular issue

of course this might be very wrong or i might be misremembering, but all my experience with cats seems to at least somewhat confirm this theory :v:

The most convincing part of this for me is that apparently cats don't meow when humans are around. It's just a way for them to manipulate us.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Beefeater1980 posted:

Jaeluni Asjil mentioned the left hand of God series a while back so I decided to try it out. It’s…weird. English (specifically English, not British). Boomerish, meant as description not insult: the author is on a wild, quixotic quest to reference every military and historical story that would resonate with an English reader born between maybe 1950 and 1970? A couple of decades before my time, enough to feel the disconnect. It is completely uninterested in culture wars, on either side, in a way that’s unimaginable in most 2020s fantasy.

But it has interesting ideas, and the author’s afterword to the last book, The Beating of his Wings, is so good that it justifies the cost of the entire series by itself. In a way it feels like not real genre fiction somehow: a proper literary author dipping into fantasy.

I enjoyed it and am grateful to you, JA, for the rec.

Glad you liked it. A lot of folk on Good Reads hate it and stopped after the first one.

What did you think of the Thomas Cale character?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

Maine Coon*
* I still feel uncomfortable writing this but it's not my fault

Afaik it's supposed to be because they look a bit like a raccoon, but that might just be some folksy backronymization to suit the modern narrative who knows. Either way, I wouldn't sweat that one too much

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Britain faces £371bn savings shortfall, says bank

Uhm, that's odd, I thought savings went up drastically during Covid?

BBC posted:

That's despite the UK household savings rate more than doubling to 16% in 2020. [further in the article: this corresponds to £190bn]

Right, like that.

I wonder what £371bn corresponds to?

BBC posted:

The bank's polling of 2,000 people suggests UK adults require a "nest egg" of £17,465 to feel secure financially.

Oh. Yeah, totally reasonable level of cash savings for the average person on the UK median income of £31.5k a year. I'll, uhh, I'll get right on that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 31, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1432669771489763328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

How am I going to explain this to my kids?