Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. With how many fangames like A2MR, the Streets of Rage remake, and Pokemon Uranium just get unceremoniously snapped out of existence, Astartes being brought, hosted for free, and given the greenlight for an official sequel seems like living the dream.

I'd get it if GW was actually taking fan videos down. And I agree that the policy, even if its just a scarecrow, may have been a little too effective at scaring fan creators off. But so far the only takedowns have been poo poo like literal piracy, like the Moth Trove. Even people that were making fan videos before and turned down GW's offer were allowed to keep doing it, just demonetized in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

GW did nothing wrong is certainly a take.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
GW's done plenty of wrong in their existence. And if GW really does start beating fanworks down with a lead pipe, I'll be right there complaining with everyone. Hell, I actually really enjoyed TTS and thought it was pretty heartbreaking that the guy had to end the project the way he did. But compared to a lot of other copyright poo poo in the games industry, this has been downright merciful, and people with thirdhand information blowing it up into a massive issue is a headache.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

homullus posted:

I thought they were trying to cash in on the enthusiasm for Pandemic's "seasons."

I played through the tutorial mission, and it seems as though the designers consciously decided to do the opposite of what Gloomhaven does whenever possible. Where Gloomhaven:

* Keeps the same characters for every mission until they retire,
* Puts the characters at odds with each other at times through the scenario goals and individual retirements,
* Uses monster standees and flat terrain markers,
* Shows you the whole map in advance,
* Only has you interact with terrain for the scenario,
* Never has long-term character consequences for road and city events, and
* Puts every mission on a timer

the new Descent says "nah." These are not necessarily improvements, just extensive differences.

Sure, and all that's fine, I don't think Gloomhaven is like, the best possible or anything. It made a lot of choices that cohered sensibly with each other and the broader shape of the project (and some that didn't IMO, like the way losing isn't fun), but you could make the opposite choices for a lot of them and if they cohere that's fine. In some sense I think doing the opposite in lots of cases makes more sense, since a lot of those decisions work together.

But that's really tangential to the point that it just feels like there's way less substance in that box than there is in Gloomhaven's, and it's more expensive and invites that comparison by being far more similar than like, Journeys in Middle Earth vs Gloomhaven, or w/e (nevermind that JIME is a full $60 cheaper than Descent). I get wanting to cash in on the Pandemic Legacy seasons, but each of those is a complete game and also half the price of Descent or less.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ultiville posted:

Sure, and all that's fine, I don't think Gloomhaven is like, the best possible or anything. It made a lot of choices that cohered sensibly with each other and the broader shape of the project (and some that didn't IMO, like the way losing isn't fun), but you could make the opposite choices for a lot of them and if they cohere that's fine. In some sense I think doing the opposite in lots of cases makes more sense, since a lot of those decisions work together.

But that's really tangential to the point that it just feels like there's way less substance in that box than there is in Gloomhaven's, and it's more expensive and invites that comparison by being far more similar than like, Journeys in Middle Earth vs Gloomhaven, or w/e (nevermind that JIME is a full $60 cheaper than Descent). I get wanting to cash in on the Pandemic Legacy seasons, but each of those is a complete game and also half the price of Descent or less.

I can't hear you over the sound of my plastic Descent mans rubbing together

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

This is why all of Kevin Crawford's stuff is built on his version of OSR D&D and he hasn't jumped on the 5e train.

The lawyers at Hasbro must seethe daily at the OGL honestly

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Is the 5e OGL any more restrictive than the Version 3 one?

And also, unless I'm mistaken, I don't think Crawford uses an OGL-excused version at all; I looked through Wolves of God and the free edition of Stars Without Number and couldn't find a reference to OGL, Open Gaming, or Wizards of the Coast.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

SkyeAuroline posted:

The other problem is what happens when the app disappears. The internet can be forever for any given thing, but it's never guaranteed to be forever for any specific thing, and if you base your game design on something people have to download online to see basic mechanics, you run the obvious problem of your game not working when that resource is no longer available.

(See also: my continued dissatisfaction with Blades in the Dark not just putting the bloody numbers for basic things like "how many stress boxes do characters have" in the book, and at least in the edition I have, not having the sheets in the book either, just as separate online downloads. That's going to be a problem down the line for someone.)

Yeah I bought Night Witches from a random game shop on holiday and it was a pain in the rear end having to locate the support files so i could understand the book.

Also, for example, https://www.ice-bound.com/ is a really neat book + ipad app AR game where you flip through the book and discover puzzle elements and stuff using the app ..

oh wait, ios apps have to be updated every year or so or they stop working, so the AR element is completely gone now.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Third party OGL supplements get people to buy fuckloads of D&D rulebooks so I'm pretty sure they're okay with it

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It also helped foster the current marketplace dominance by driving a generation of would-be rivals into unpaid collaboration.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

xiw posted:

Yeah I bought Night Witches from a random game shop on holiday and it was a pain in the rear end having to locate the support files so i could understand the book.

Also, for example, https://www.ice-bound.com/ is a really neat book + ipad app AR game where you flip through the book and discover puzzle elements and stuff using the app ..

oh wait, ios apps have to be updated every year or so or they stop working, so the AR element is completely gone now.

Haha that was exactly my experience with Night Witches as well. Never occurred to me any game designer just wouldn't put the character sheets etc in the book.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

They brought the OGL back for 5e after not using it for 4e, so they can’t be TOO mad.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

xiw posted:

HopperUK posted:

Haha that was exactly my experience with Night Witches as well. Never occurred to me any game designer just wouldn't put the character sheets etc in the book.

Yup, me three. I rather like Night Witches, for all its flaws, but it winds me up that not everything you need to play is in the book.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I feel like in the GW discussion there's a disconnect where some people are discussing the "is" (in the current legal climate, it's extremely risky to make and publish fanwork) and some people are discussing the "ought" (it is kind of lovely to have work one has poured effort into-- and which may bring one income to offset one's labor in creating that work-- be stricken from the internet suddenly because the rights holder feels like it).

Someone can talk about how it's not a super wise plan to put all your eggs in the basket of fanwork without believing that it's cool for rights holders to then drop a brick on the basket. Someone can also think the brick-dropper's lovely while understanding that they are legally within their rights to hurl masonry into that particular basket.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's really I think two or three distinct issues

• GW has been awful in the past, but has a different CEO now, and some fans insist the company has reformed. At least somewhat. This latest statement of policy is fodder for that argument.
  • The Emperor Text to Speech work was explicitly a parody, which is protected by fair use laws in both the US and UK; the creator obviously didn't feel he could or wanted to engage in the legal fight he anticipated, despite his being clearly in the right in terms of fair use. "GW defenders" point out he shut down his own thing without so much as a cease and desist letter; "TTS defenders" point out that even a C&D could invalidate substantial expense and labor put into the project going forward.
  • When people read a warning press release and shut down what they're doing without going through a legal process, this is part of the "chilling effect" that the overbearing and financially ruinous practices of corporate litigation have wrought, and folks are sick to death of corporations having the power to chill fair use so effortlessly.

What I would absolutely love to see, as a moderator, is people engaging with issues without instantly categorizing people who have a slightly different take as either "GW defenders" or "shrill angry nerds" or similar. The commentary about parasocial relationships is also fraught with accusation and defense from emotional, personal points of view, again from both people pointing it out and people defending their own patreon memberships etc.

One thing I think is a positive is that the TTS guys want to continue to be creative, but with their own original IP. That's a good thing, although I suspect that the audience they'll attract while moving away from parodying the world's most popular tabletop wargame is an order of magnitude or two smaller. I wish them success in their future endeavors and I hope all the TTS fans will at least give their new projects a chance.

We will not solve, on SA, the tensions between creative fandom and intellectual property rights.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 31, 2021

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The problem being YouTube gives out strikes and bans channels at the drop of a hat at the command of any barely seeming copy-right owning authority.

Here's an example - the person *paid* for the rights to play a piece of music for their video, but still got hit by an automated de-monitiser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3GGuby-PR4

The ball is firmly in GW's court and they've thrown a tantrum and taken the ball home.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

What I would absolutely love to see, as a moderator, is people engaging with issues without instantly categorizing people who have a slightly different take as either "GW defenders" or "shrill angry nerds" or similar.

There's an unfortunate tendency in internet communication (and probably real life, I wouldn't know) to forget about nuance, so a single opinion is immediately extrapolated to "my side" or "not my side" and it blows for productive and interesting discussion because anything vaguely critical of an argument becomes "the X defender has logged on!" instead of "Oh hey I didn't know/think about that, better revise my thinking."

Probably partly because things in general have gotten so poo poo that literally everything feels like it's some form of symbolic good vs evil life or death struggle and/or the human brain just doesn't work well under stress.

Anyway TG feels like one of the best places I've seen for actually having good discussions most of the time so I appreciate that a lot.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

The commentary about parasocial relationships is also fraught with accusation and defense from emotional, personal points of view, again from both people pointing it out and people defending their own patreon memberships etc.

I think it's worth stressing that parasocial relationships are in a relatively new, unexplored territory. Services like Paetreon, Only Fans, and even Twitch and Kickstarter enable users to pay for the trappings of friendship: access, acknowledgement, gifts, etc.

In TG circles, that most often looks like getting monthly game content. Rules or scenarios, miniatures STLs, or actionable hobby painting tips and advice.

This isn't a new concept at all - the role of the "paid friend" had been filed by bartenders, barbers, and hairdressers for as long as those jobs existed. What IS new is 1) how that relationship is commodified 2) the extent of access, and 3) how covid drove our existing social rituals to more closely resemble parasocial ones, letting that line blur.

Formalizing a fandom into subscribers and supporters strengthens the feeling of a team bond. When you back a creator, there's a feeling that you're helping to create the media. This, psychologically, is huge because now you're a little part of it. So when someone says that Critical Role sucks, that little bit of you hears them saying you suck.

Access and engagement is more constant than ever. To use a previous example, you'd see your bartender whenever you went to the bar, but that parasocial relationship only existed there.

Today it's possible to listen to near-constant content streams, engage with other fans in comments, interact directly on social media, read updates and podcasts, watch a backlog of video, etc. Imagine bringing the hairdresser on your commute, or having the barber tell you amusing stories throughout your work day.

The closest previous analogue to that would be talk radio; I think that's widespread enough that everyone is acquainted with at least one person who bonded with a radio host. The Stern fans. The Limbaugh "Dittoheads." People who never miss "The View."

COVID made everyone lonely. Quarantining meant that our loved ones had, by necessity, become pen pals. The line between "loved one" and "internet friend" vanished. The distinction between "internet friend" and "content producer" got thinner than ever before.

I'm not saying it's unhealthy or unseemly to engage in parasocial relationships, and it wasn't my intent to come across as judgy. I support monthly 3d print STLs, a podcast, and a shameful number of kickstarters - I'm not opposed to this at all.

My point was that that this unprecedented level of engagement can easily devour objectivity. Any conversation about Critical Role inevitably turns into like an argument as more passionate supporters weigh in. Games Workshop's expanded social presence has largely had the same effect on dedicated fans, as subreddits are becoming more like tribal identities.

These are weird times. Technology is outpacing our understanding of it, and it's pushing other aspects of our lives in completely unforeseeable ways.

The GW v TTS issue is hard to discuss here (or anywhere really) exactly because of the investment both parties have made in seeding a loyal, emotionally invested base of supporters.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

moths posted:

I think it's worth stressing that parasocial relationships are in a relatively new, unexplored territory.

It's really not, the term was coined in 1956 about television performers. You can argue that the internet has intensified it, or that social media has, but parasocial bonds have been exploited for a very long time.

Talk radio is a good analogue, but 'brand as identity' has been a thing for much longer, and in particular nerd culture has had this tendency for quite a while. And parallel to that, fan culture has also pulled towards a sense of ownership distinct from legal ownership: Fanfiction, fan conventions, etc. It's not really anything new, it's just that instead of subscribing to a magazine you can pay into a patreon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'd say that actually yes, today's brand engagement would be a thing of abject terror to those initially describing it in 1956.

We're getting brand logos tattooed on ourselves, and immersed in near constant consumption-adjacent activities. More childhood nostalgia is associated with brands than experiences.

This is the monkey's paw version of some 1950's Madison Avenue advertising executive's wildest fantasy.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Can we not use Hasbro as an example of a "chill" company? They used slave labor, for christ's sake...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean Star Wars and Star Trek.

People have been arguing over Coke and Pepsi from when I was a child.

People have always identified and picked sides and overly identified with Brands from like my earliest memories.

Chevy vs Ford or whatever other car nonsense.

They've always weaponized a feeling of being "in" when you tie yourself to a specific company or brand.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

neaden posted:

Didn't Astartes get basically bought out by GW? It is up for free on GWs site now. It's not really a cautionary tale.

Yup. And there's an all-episodes compilation of Astartes with 1.2 million views still on YouTube.

One thing a lot of people have missed about the TTS farewell video is that Alfabusa specifically cited the chilling effects on creativity that the renewed threat of legal action brought. He went into detail on how it felt to have his work under (more) immediate threat and how he didn't think he could continue with that hanging over his head. Yes, that threat was always there, despite the parody exception, but the new policy really brought that home.

So a very talented creative and production team is going to pivot to licensed or original IP. In the long run, that's a win for the community.

TTS' version of Magnus the Red will always be Canon to me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LashLightning posted:

The problem being YouTube gives out strikes and bans channels at the drop of a hat at the command of any barely seeming copy-right owning authority.

Here's an example - the person *paid* for the rights to play a piece of music for their video, but still got hit by an automated de-monitiser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3GGuby-PR4

The ball is firmly in GW's court and they've thrown a tantrum and taken the ball home.

It feels like a good half of the issue is YouTube's hilariously fuckin terrible monetization rules, not just GW.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Really the argument just started because moths couldn't resist calling them parasites.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Dexo posted:

They've always weaponized a feeling of being "in" when you tie yourself to a specific company or brand.

They have, but there has never been a time in history when it was this pervasive.

For example, you can right now become friends with Coke through the same channels you'd normally interact with family.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think what's new now is the injection of social media into the parasocial relationship, which amplifies and extends personal feedback and engagement. And that's a change in degree: You could call in to a talk radio host, and if the screener decided to let you, you might get to ask a question or engage in a very brief conversation, for example; but until the Internet, you couldn't directly engage with a few thousand of that talk radio host's fans, establish communities, etc. After the talk radio host's 3 hour set was done, it used to be you were done, time to do something else with your day; now, you can spend 24/7 talking with the fans of that host on reddit or wherever, engaged in fandom 24/7.

So yeah, I'll buy that's a factor for sure.

LashLightning posted:

GW has made announcements that they will more actively defend their intellectual property rights, and in those announcements, they've carefully not said anything about respecting fair use - exactly as basically every other company with significant IP acts, most likely because that's what their lawyers tell them to do. That's not a defense; this state of affairs sucks, and the platforms, as your video points out, are heavily favoring the side with the expensive lawyers vs. the basically helpless individual non-corporate content creators that generate the content that drives their billions in ad revenue. But it is an explanation, and it's one that goons who provide it are catching heat for, sometimes pretty viciously. The term "boolicker" has been floated recently (not in this thread).

I personally am not surprised or even especially dismayed that the corporate officers of companies that trade on their IP usually listen to their corporate lawyers who tell them to aggressively defend that IP. This is a set of systemic problems driven by the money and power in place that doesn't want to allow people to exercise their fair use rights - and these systemic problems have existed for at least decades. I do not like Games Workshop, they burned me pretty bad with my tomb kings, I used to post a lot in the GW death threads, and I am feeling disheartened again by another set of fans of their products trying to navigate the nature of the beast, as countless fans of other corporate products must do - that corporations almost always act aggressively to defend the source of their revenues from threats real and perceived, as advised by their very highly paid counsel. I feel a lot of sympathy, for people who are upset at this latest example of corporate overreach.

If GW is throwing a tantrum and taking its ball home, it is only doing what thousands of other biggish companies do daily to the people who aren't satisfied with "fandom" consisting solely of purchasing their products and then using them in the approved manner. At some point characterizing this as tantruming seems like ascribing human emotion to what is really more like the emotionless, semi-robotic reflexive action of Fun Police Golem, the scrap of parchment in its empty skull having been written by a committee of lawyers. There's no tantrum here, and the golem's job is to firmly grip the ball, which you may approach and gaze upon, between the hours of 10 and 5, four days per week excepting bank holidays. Yes, you may take a picture of the ball: that will be sixteen dollars.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Really the argument just started because moths couldn't resist calling them parasites.

The argument has been running in various GW threads for weeks, and moths didn't start it and mostly isn't even a participant.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 31, 2021

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I only participated because moths called ppl who (allegedly) dip into a teeny tiny bit of GW's profit margin "parasitic" and thought that was gently caress'd

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there a better word for building a business model entirely on IP you don't own? Maybe "squatters" would have been less inflammatory, but it is (was) a parasitic relationship in the sense that it's unable to exist without the host entity.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

moths posted:

Is there a better word for building a business model entirely on IP you don't own?

Fantrepreneur!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

Maybe "squatters" would have been less inflammatory

I don't know if this is a regional thing but "squatters" is absolutely a derogatory term where I'm from

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

moths posted:

Is there a better word for building a business model entirely on IP you don't own? Maybe "squatters" would have been less inflammatory, but it is (was) a parasitic relationship in the sense that it's unable to exist without the host entity.
https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/376823017860366336?s=20

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MadScientistWorking posted:

Didn't they shut down multiple knockoff companies recently or was that just random fans panicking about something that was wrong?

Also, no they aren't that chill because well look at what Hasbro owned WoTC did when they found out that one of their books was pirated. They pulled out all the pdfs and haven't released their books in pdf form since then.

They go after knockoffs (companies that jack Hasbro's sculpts and engineering) but they don't go after people making original toys with novel engineering illegally using Hasbro's character designs. It's a pretty bizarre situation because you end up with mobile game developers and comics artists using "third party" toys with paper town-style visual details as references in officially licensed art.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 31, 2021

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

neaden posted:

Didn't Astartes get basically bought out by GW? It is up for free on GWs site now. It's not really a cautionary tale.

Something that I noticed is a lot of people on youtube who were fans of the original Astartes videos are unhappy with the GW official version because the original one-man designer used a lot of sound effects and music clips from various non-licensed sources which, of course, GW couldn't use themselves in an official work, so now there are bootleg versions of the original still floating around because you can't officially get that version anymore.

e; to be clear it's kind of a weird situation in that by and large people are happy the guy got to become an Ascended Fan out of this off the back of his extremely solid work, but there's also disappointment in that the process of becoming official actually did have an effect on the work beyond the usual ephemeral "he sold out so now it sucks" arguments one might make. I don't really have an urge to shake a pitchfork at GW over this but I do think it's something to consider that even the best case outcome of something like this, the company embracing the fanwork, can result in it being changed in ways that are impossible to roll back.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 31, 2021

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

moths posted:

I would say it's at least symbiotic. TTS Warhammer and Critical Role give the IP they rely on the kind of advertising penetration that a marketing division would kill for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the only conclusion i've drawn about monetized fan projects (or even non-monetized ones) is that clearly you should do it completely underground. stop trying to operate within the confines of a law that is absurd and hostile to you anyways and just embrace being bootleggers

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Arivia posted:

They brought the OGL back for 5e after not using it for 4e, so they can’t be TOO mad.

Nearly everything in the 5e SRD is the 5e versions of stuff that was already in the 3e SRD, with a few exceptions (mainly warlocks and dragonborn). The SRD has only one subclass for each class, only one background, only one feat, etc. They're fine with people using the OGL to create new derivative works (most of which you didn't need the OGL to legally create and sell in the first place) but they're not going to allow a Pathfinder situation to come up where a third party can repackage and resell the entirety of the game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

moths posted:

I think your argument here is at the least incomplete.

Lots of people have business models based on IP they don’t own. They include actors and many musicians such as in an orchestra. Are a theatre troupe that performs Shakespeare parasitic? They’re at…somewhat lesser risk of being enjoined from their use of the work, but I think that “ownership of the underlying IP” isn’t the bright-line determinant of the legitimacy of a pursuit that you seem to be arguing for.

It isn’t necessarily a parasitic relationship because one requires the other. It could also be symbiotic, and indeed GW depends on its fans and their expressions of support and participation for at least some of its success.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

squatters is a term used almost exclusively in derogatory manner by people who are definitionally parasites society would be better without, landlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I think your argument here is at the least incomplete.

I'm not making an argument, does it look like I am?

I wonder if people are confusing legal and business discussion for ethical judgment. A Shakespeare troupe is explicitly using public domain works - in the way a troupe staging an unlicensed "Robocop in the Park" wouldn't be.

In that case, the Robocop troupe would be parasitic. They're leaning on the Robocop franchise for its premade audience - fans would check it out because it's not some weird original play.

I think it would be awesome to watch, but it's still wholly dependent on art they don't have a legal right to perform.

Acknowledging a thing's complications isn't a moral judgment. At least two people have posted that they got surly over my word choice, and I would argue that's a direct result of how branding works today. Anything percieved as negative about a thing online prompts its supporters to react like you're badmouthing a close friend.

Hell look at the chat thread title.