Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Jenkins’ YT content is surprisingly comprehensible, approachable, and rich. It’s starkly different from his twitch content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Jenkins commentating <100mmr pubs is the absolute pinnacle of dota 2 YouTube content

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
It is so good!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I don't remember how the ping system works or really the auto message system. Don't even remember if that was in there 6 years ago. Like "I'm doing Rosh" or "Go on Viper". How does that work? How do I do the defend ping?

I'm going to try and learn quick cast. How should I use hotkeys for the store? Drag into the quick buy and press H? I have a TP stickied to the far right of that tray but I think I still need to stay it over to use H to buy. Is courier just F2, F3 and maybe the boost of it's available? Team starts with wards now?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Shift-clicking an item in the shop will put it on your quickbuy. Shift + Ctrl + leftclick will add the item to your quickbuy without replacing what's already there. You can set a hotkey (under Shop Actions) to purchase whatever is first in your quickbuy that you can afford. You can set another hotkey (also under Shop Actions) to have your courier deliver items to you. It will always go back to grab anything in your stash before delivering it all to you using this hotkey. I put these two hotkeys right next to one another so I can mash them in quick succession.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I started using quick cast a year ago, what really helped was also setting the "alt" key modifier to my mouse 5 button (or any mouse button really), since if you're used to double tapping you can't do that anymore, so you'll need to set "smart double tap" and use alt+hotkey to self cast items. For me at least, it's way easier to do with the modifier key on the mouse than trying to squeeze my thumb onto alt and hit one of my spell or item hotkeys.

Also, try using "Quickcast on key down" in "advanced" hotkey settings, set items to quick cast, and under "Options" set "quick attack" and "quick move" as well.

An added benefit of using smart double tap instead of actual double tap to cast is no more cases where you accidentally shallow grave yourself and then get flamed. Now you can just shallow grave no one and get flamed.

Plank Walker fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 31, 2021

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What do you have your items bound to? I have two of them as M4 and M5. I already had to add that neutral item key.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
I'm weird and use ESDF for camera, items are zxcvbn, neutral item is g, abilities are QWR and space for ult (if the hero has a passive ability I remove the hotkey), T and H are 5th and 6th abilities but I don't really play heroes that have more than 4. Then I use AutoHotKey to map alt to like F11 and map that to tp scroll. A is attack move, M4 is "stop", M5 is alt modifier.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I used to use a Razer Naga that had the 1-12 number keys on the side so just putting all the items on 1-6 was easy, but I've just kept them that way. I have to intentionally place more frequently-used items on 1-3 and then 4-6 are like, hopefully I remember to hit them

Skills are on QWERDF and then ult on space

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Are there enough active goons to play this with? I still have some of you in my steam friends list. Is there still an lljk channel in game? The discord link in the OP is expired BTW. Discord didn't even exist when I last played.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I play a moderate amount, although slightly less since my cousin got me to install FF14 the last 2 weeks.

I don't really grind ranked so I don't know how accurate it is but I'm only like 2800mmr or something and like to play 5/3/4 generally.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I play pretty regularly but I'm poo poo tier, like 1200mmr or so these days

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KingKapalone posted:

Are there enough active goons to play this with? I still have some of you in my steam friends list. Is there still an lljk channel in game? The discord link in the OP is expired BTW. Discord didn't even exist when I last played.

I play pretty much every day since the lockdown started, though with the gym opening up and stuff again I'll probably do that less.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

bawfuls posted:

There was a point in the past year or so when Tree’s level 10 talent options were invis on the passive OR +80 damage and people did occasionally take the latter to build him as a right clicker

I’m sure there are fun replays on YouTube somewhere

A while back I was in an Ability Draft game where Treant took Huskar's Passive. I don't remember what else he took, but all that Attack Speed with that huge base attack damage, it was something to see.

To give you an idea how long ago this was, Berserker's Blood still gave the crazy magic resist.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I think they changed it at some point but Medusa’s mana shield used to count as a spell cast for Storm spirits overcharge, having the two of those together was like the most broken shot ever.

The other wild AD combo that comes to mind is sticky napalm + the earth shaker passive on cast aoe stun

I really like AD but it can be very difficult because 75% of games are won in the draft, and it is often just as much about denying the enemy team strong skills as much as it is building a good combo for yourself.

I wish that a part of the draft was selecting your hero too

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

roadhead posted:

To give you an idea how long ago this was, Berserker's Blood still gave the crazy magic resist.

god remember how funny this was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xEnIqIXqa8

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The game client has been so FUCKIN slow since the recent Compendium update for me, anyone else? Minutes to get to the main screen.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sab669 posted:

The game client has been so FUCKIN slow since the recent Compendium update for me, anyone else? Minutes to get to the main screen.

This was my experience before installing on an ssd

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SSD, 32 GB of RAM, 10850K and an RTX3070 :argh:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I haven't played in months, but at one point it took multiple minutes to load until I reinstalled it. I thought the game was broken, but just the install was.

How old is that installation? A compendium or two broke mine.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No idea, but I guess I can just nuke it and reinstall.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

The discord link in the OP is expired BTW. Discord didn't even exist when I last played.

sorry i updated it

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Trying to play after almost three years off the game. Is undying weak in the meta? I tried to build him smart but he seemed to do almost no damage, his tombstome feels pointless, and his heal was the only thing that was ok. It feels like heroes scale so fast that the strength I can steal doesn't feel as impactful as it did before.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

He's more popular as a 4, playing around Flesh Golem and Tombstone. So depending on your item build I could see him feeling really lackluster, but I never played him much to say exactly what changes he's had that may or may not have impacted his ability to be played certain ways

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wangsbig posted:

sorry i updated it

thank you sir!

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Undying is super strong as a 4 because he can dictate the positioning in fights. Hes a very strong zoner in front of his team and if you have a ranged carry his tombstone absolutely wrecks the blinkdagger of any initiating hero on the other side, dissallowing them to jump on top of your carry.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Haven't played for like 4 years (last time was around when Wings got the Aegis), looking to get back in. Is Lion okay to use for a while before I start taking off the training wheels?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Lion is always an excellent pick.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Lion's in an ok spot. Bane, Ogre, and Treant are all really good pub supports right now as well

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I play a few hours of dota 2 every weekend with friends and honestly its normally very chill but last night we ran into a 5 stack of ultra nazi Latvian nutjobs, I don't mute people often but they were genuinely sickening with comments about various races and sexualities. We had a girl in our group (actually the highest mmr of all of us lol) and once they saw her profile picture they went to town with disgusting sexual commentary as well.

Genuinely felt a bit sick with their behaviour but in the end we beat them so an memorable experience if nothing else

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I play a few hours of dota 2 every weekend with friends and honestly its normally very chill but last night we ran into a 5 stack of ultra nazi Latvian nutjobs, I don't mute people often but they were genuinely sickening with comments about various races and sexualities. We had a girl in our group (actually the highest mmr of all of us lol) and once they saw her profile picture they went to town with disgusting sexual commentary as well.

Genuinely felt a bit sick with their behaviour but in the end we beat them so an memorable experience if nothing else

Valve will never do anything to address the fact that a huge percentage of their player base are Nazis.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Valve is really lazy in everything they do around community and toxicity. The continued voice line spam and no way to turn it off gets me real salty. I may have thousands of players muted by now.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't mind the sound effects and hero chat lines, but spamming quotes from pro players / others in the scene annoys the fuckkkkkk out of me.

Especially the Ephey Laugh. Please keep both hands on your keyboard & mouse :(

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

lakad matataaaag!!!

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Not being able to escape the taunts and voice lines of the 23-1 Tiny making you or your enemies wonder why they play at all owns. All chat slurs do not.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Dendi "mmr is just a number" voiceline is class

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
help, im too addicted to ability draft to continue to play marci

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Skyarb posted:

Trying to play after almost three years off the game. Is undying weak in the meta? I tried to build him smart but he seemed to do almost no damage, his tombstome feels pointless, and his heal was the only thing that was ok. It feels like heroes scale so fast that the strength I can steal doesn't feel as impactful as it did before.

play undying in turbo one of his buffs was decay does double damage to creeps (tooltips still don't say this lol) so you can do a max decay first build and pretend you're a carry (you even get +55 decay damage at lvl 10!)

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
turns out marci is in ability draft, best of both worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
marci nerf already, the talent nerf for her jump is probably the biggest and incredibly deserved.

It's still huge but good lord was it absurd before.