Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'd propose "houseless" but that would describe like 20 million people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Marion Millar trial today for posting transphobic shite on Twitter. Hope they throw the book at her.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Failed Imagineer posted:

How am I going to explain this to my kids?

Starmer TB Llama destroyed after drama, farmers calmer.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Failed Imagineer posted:

How am I going to explain this to my kids?

Labour leader laments lancing of lousey llama, listened to Lancet.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Wonder why this was pushed through today when the news in the grocer magazine was saying that schools need to prepare for food shortages.

Weird how the alpaca story is dominating

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

Labour leader laments lancing of lousey llama, listened to Lancet.

josh04 posted:

Oh great, I just showed them these posts and now my horrible ugly children are crying even harder, thanks a lot

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

serious gaylord posted:

Wonder why this was pushed through today when the news in the grocer magazine was saying that schools need to prepare for food shortages.

How can you say the media is biased when they're covering all the big dead-pet stories, at home and abroad?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's no co-incidence Afghanistan Dog and Cat saviour Pen Farting saved all (100%) of the dogs and cats and none (0%) of the people. He knows what flies with the British Public.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

we can eat the alpaca

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Everyone was so worries about the chlorinated chicken they didn't prepare for chlorinated TB-positive alpaca lasagne in Sainsburys

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

josh04 posted:

the sequel to the rural juror is intriguing

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My dog died peacefully when he was put down, with me hugging him.

I still feel upset about it 10 years later though, he was a good dog

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
defra mc mystery meat, in association with mcdonalds

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The alpaca story reminds me a bit of when a couple of decades ago a pretty, blonde teenager disappeared (can't remember the name, Milly? I'll use the name) and the papers were full on with the search for days, weeks on end. Then a body was found.

The front page headline in at least one paper was "It's not Milly!" (like 'hip hip hoorah, it's ok it's not her") and I'm thinking, "It's some other poor kid who noone is looking for - well at least not if you rely on the media."

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Glad to hear that Kieth has personally punched the llama to death

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The alpaca story reminds me a bit of when a couple of decades ago a pretty, blonde teenager disappeared (can't remember the name, Milly? I'll use the name) and the papers were full on with the search for days, weeks on end. Then a body was found.

The front page headline in at least one paper was "It's not Milly!" (like 'hip hip hoorah, it's ok it's not her") and I'm thinking, "It's some other poor kid who noone is looking for - well at least not if you rely on the media."

Milly Dowler? That was the case that brought down the News of the World, was it not?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

Milly Dowler? That was the case that brought down the News of the World, was it not?

Yes, but I'm not sure if she was the one referred to in the 'it's not {name}' headline. Probably. Sounds about right.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Keith "The Killer" Starmer

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Skull Servant posted:

Keith "The Killer" Starmer

First that cyclist, then the alpaca, next will probably be someones nan.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Oh. Yeah, totally reasonable level of cash savings for the average person on the UK median income of £31.5k a year. I'll, uhh, I'll get right on that.

I mean, i don't think it's wrong to suggest that having a lot of money in the bank is the only way I would feel "financially secure" but it does suggest that financial security is just something you can't have, like a lot of things.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Private Speech posted:

Oh. Yeah, totally reasonable level of cash savings for the average person on the UK median income of £31.5k a year. I'll, uhh, I'll get right on that.

I'm curious how they got to this number. The usual advice is 3-6 months living expenses, £17k is far more than that for most adults I'd have thought.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

The death of Milly Dowler made me stop buying or reading newspapers as they were nearly all too corrupt for me to stomach.

The alpaca had TB, it's no longer a risk.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm curious how they got to this number. The usual advice is 3-6 months living expenses, £17k is far more than that for most adults I'd have thought.

Survey of the newsroom?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Private Speech posted:

I wonder what £371bn corresponds to?

£17,465

Well ok, at first glance it seems like an unachievable goal, but is it?

Obviously caveat this with not having kids, or other financial dependents, existing debts, and stable employment making the median income of £31k p/a, and not living somewhere with stupid rental costs like London or Edinburgh.

Your take home pay would be around £25k after deductions, budget about a third of that for rent, and another third for living costs and expenses (so 1,388 p/m). That leaves just under £700 p/m to put aside for savings. Which would mean you could have that £17k nest egg in just over 2 years.

It'd be tough and you'd need to keep a tight reign on your spending but I wouldn't say it was unreasonable for a lot of people.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

have you looked at house prices lately

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Britain faces £371bn savings shortfall, says bank

Uhm, that's odd, I thought savings went up drastically during Covid?

Right, like that.

I wonder what £371bn corresponds to?

God that's such a lovely headline from the BBC.

Like, I think it'd reasonable to say "most people would need to sit on a 5-figure sum to feel financially secure". Having 6 months income for your family is one way to feel secure. But calling it a "savings blackhole" that people "need to solve", and putting savings tips at the end like asking people to save £100 is going to solve all problems is just terrible "journalism".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

keep punching joe posted:

Well ok, at first glance it seems like an unachievable goal, but is it?

Obviously caveat this with not having kids, or other financial dependents, existing debts, and stable employment making the median income of £31k p/a, and not living somewhere with stupid rental costs like London or Edinburgh.

Your take home pay would be around £25k after deductions, budget about a third of that for rent, and another third for living costs and expenses (so 1,388 p/m). That leaves just under £700 p/m to put aside for savings. Which would mean you could have that £17k nest egg in just over 2 years.

It'd be tough and you'd need to keep a tight reign on your spending but I wouldn't say it was unreasonable for a lot of people.

if you're not living in somewhere like London or Edinburgh then your opportunities to make £31k are much, much more restricted

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Julio Cruz posted:

have you looked at house prices lately

If they meant in regards to a deposit on a house then £17k would be far too little in most cases though. So I think they just mean a basic emergency fund to avoid "financial vulnerability" as the article puts it.

Just seems far more than most people would need to me.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Julio Cruz posted:

if you're not living in somewhere like London or Edinburgh then your opportunities to make £31k are much, much more restricted

Okswitch to minimum wage job, 37.5 hpw in Glasgow and renting a lovely 1 bed flat for £450 p/m. You could save the same amount in 3.5 years, and get a 20% deposit pulled together for a 80k flat.

Obviously a miserable and joyless existence but again not unrealistic if you were strict with your spending.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 31, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ok same switch to minimum wage job, 37.5 hpw in Glasgow and renting a lovely 1 bed flat for £450 p/m. You could save the same amount in 3.5 years.

Obviously a miserable and joyless existence but again not unrealistic if you were strict with your spending.

If only people would stop buying avocado toast, Starbucks, and 55" plasma screen tvs with a full Sky sports package. :bang: :bahgawd:

Round my way, you'd be lucky to find a full time job. It's all near NMW part-time. The most hours I've seen advertised are 20 (I think learnin explained that is because something happens to UC after 20 hours but I can't recall what).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 31, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ok same switch to minimum wage job, 37.5 hpw in Glasgow and renting a lovely 1 bed flat for £450 p/m. You could save the same amount in 3.5 years.

I think 3.5 years of a miserable and joyless existence is entirely unrealistic for a lot of people, really

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The internet advice to have X months expenses or Y thousand as an emergency fund is hugely skewed by US views, where healthcare is super expensive and always has some out-of-pocket component to be covered, IMO.

If you have more than a few thousand saved up it should go into an ISA or your pension, or something like that. In the UK there just isn't the same risk of a big potentially bankrupting expense coming out of nowhere.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If only people would stop buying avocado toast, Starbucks, and 55" plasma screen tvs with a full Sky sports package. :bang: :bahgawd:

All I'm saying is Avocados are overrated, and with Brexit probably off the menu for the short term anyway. And you can totally get by with Nescafe instant, Pirate Bay, and a bag of cans down the park.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

The internet advice to have X months expenses or Y thousand as an emergency fund is hugely skewed by US views, where healthcare is super expensive and always has some out-of-pocket component to be covered, IMO.

If you have more than a few thousand saved up it should go into an ISA or your pension, or something like that. In the UK there just isn't the same risk of a big potentially bankrupting expense coming out of nowhere.

Dentist.
Dental emergency a few weeks ago cost me a total of £1650. If I were on part-time NMW or benefits, and did not have savings accrued over 40 years of working life, I would have been either fed to the loan sharks or bankrupt. No chance of an NHS dentist round here - the waiting list for the one that is is now years long.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

While not being able to be fired without a months notice definitely helps because you don't need to have as much cash sitting around just in case it's still certainly a concern, especially for families etc with mortgages.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Venomous posted:

Marion Millar trial today for posting transphobic shite on Twitter. Hope they throw the book at her.

Bailed until October. Being defended by Cherry because of course. She didn't enter a plea, interesting plan.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If you have an actual dental emergency, which should be fairly rare, there should be some way to get treatment. Not saying I don't believe you but it isn't really worth most people keeping thousands specifically in liquid £ for.

https://cavuhb.nhs.wales/our-services/university-dental-hospital/emergency-dental-treatment-at-udh/

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Dentist.
Dental emergency a few weeks ago cost me a total of £1650. If I were on part-time NMW or benefits, and did not have savings accrued over 40 years of working life, I would have been either fed to the loan sharks or bankrupt. No chance of an NHS dentist round here - the waiting list for the one that is is now years long.

Yeah NHS dentistry has completely collapsed here too.

The exact same dentists do somehow have time for you if you're paying privately though

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'd say with Covid around and the state of the job market, there's every reason to try and have as big a safety net as possible at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

All I'm saying is Avocados are overrated, and with Brexit probably off the menu for the short term anyway. And you can totally get by with Nescafe instant, Pirate Bay, and a bag of cans down the park.

Some supermarkets do frozen avocadoes now.
I already use Nescafe instant - which btw is £2.99 for 230g in Home Bargains instead of whatever outrageous price is charged elsewhere. The script on the labels includes quite a bit of Italian. Hm.
I use my Roku and 'freesat from sky' for my tv (one off £29 for the roku thingummy, one off £15 for the sky card to get a few more of the free channels, and about £20 for a remote-controlled HDMI switch because either (a) I'm too lazy to keep getting up or (b) pulling cables in and out of sockets all the time to switch between input gadgets is bad for the ends which have a posh word which escapes me now :oldblokeinwheelchairemoticonwhichIcantfindorremembernameofjustnow:

:thaoldme:

Oh found it. I thought it was :carstairs: but it isn't it's :corsair:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 31, 2021