Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Kins posted:

A Steam page is up for REKKR: Sunken Land, a not-free, extended version of the Doom TC (that you can play on your Switch or consoles via the Doom re-releases!)

i will buy this. rekkr was sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I’ll get it if they make the guns better. Rekkr, more like get rekt by everything while you crank your popgun

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zeether posted:

I had to change it to a C drive (well, the C drive I had backed up onto my D drive) to make it work. According to GOG forums that's what it took for someone else except it had to be the Windows OS location. It's a really strange issue.
Weird, I have the GOG version of Descent 3 installed on my D drive and InjectD3 worked fine. :shrug:

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I'm on my first ever playthrough of Quake, and I gotta say I might actually like it more than Doom? Is that blasphemy?

Enemy designs/behavior aren't perfect as others have mentioned, but I just really love the vibe and some of the intricate level designs going on here. Weapons also feel fantastic IMO. I look forward to going through all the expansions now.

Anyway, I completely lose all of my PCs audio as soon as I try to join a multiplayer, and I haven't seen anyone else with this issue. Like, no sound from Quake, and even if I'm listening to Spotify while playing it completely cuts out. Am I missing something here?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Weedle posted:

i will buy this. rekkr was sick

yeah i'll probably be tempted to get this expanded rekkr. it's not 100% perfect but a lot of it feels chunky enough and i appreciate efforts to do big conversions like this. definitely had fun with the time i spent with the original release and if the dev has taken the time to brush things up more and add new stuff then that's cool.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

I'm on my first ever playthrough of Quake, and I gotta say I might actually like it more than Doom? Is that blasphemy?

Enemy designs/behavior aren't perfect as others have mentioned, but I just really love the vibe and some of the intricate level designs going on here. Weapons also feel fantastic IMO. I look forward to going through all the expansions now.

Anyway, I completely lose all of my PCs audio as soon as I try to join a multiplayer, and I haven't seen anyone else with this issue. Like, no sound from Quake, and even if I'm listening to Spotify while playing it completely cuts out. Am I missing something here?

Nah, not blasphemy. I prefer Quake 1 to Doom, but I'll take either Doom 1, 2, or 64 over Quake 2, at least single player.

As for your audio, is the game trying to do something with voice chat that might be getting in the way of the sound?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

If it's a blasphemy, it's one of the lesser ones that nobody gives a poo poo about in the modern day and age, like wearing mixed fabrics or eating shellfish. Enjoy! You've got a lot of amazing mapsets ahead of you. Rock Paper Shotgun recently briefly crawled out of its usual pit of mediocrity to publish some playlists of stuff to check out after devouring the official content.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

quake has been my favorite 90s fps since i first played it (in 2007) and it truly warms my soul to see so many people accept its grace into their hearts

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Quake is worse than Doom so you're wrong but everyone's entitled to their favorites.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I can respect someone liking Quake over Doom. I feel like the guns and enemies in doom make for a more satisfying combination of gameplay, but I can see the appeal in Quake's verticality, movement and chunky polygons.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, hell, if just going by the games by themselves and not mod content or expansions, people pretty regularly have lots of opinions about what doom maps they consider dogshit and for quake most all i can really point to are 'a few levels in episode 4' which can be pretty solidly blamed on sandy petersen, so on that front they're about even in some regards and after that it just comes down to personal taste on aesthetics and the arsenal

and quake might not have as expansive of a mod catalog but there's some absolutely high quality, killer poo poo out there like arcane dimensions

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think Doom's enemy and weapon set is better, but drat Quake is some good poo poo

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

If it's a blasphemy, it's one of the lesser ones that nobody gives a poo poo about in the modern day and age, like wearing mixed fabrics or eating shellfish. Enjoy! You've got a lot of amazing mapsets ahead of you. Rock Paper Shotgun recently briefly crawled out of its usual pit of mediocrity to publish some playlists of stuff to check out after devouring the official content.

Tbf "quake" and "blasphemy" do suit each other

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If I was going to change Quake, I'd make the double barrelled shotgun more powerful, switch out the basic nailgun for maybe something else that used cells, and possibly throw in a machine gun of some sort.

Enemy wise, I'd love more variety. All that being said, man, do I love Quake.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah my opinion is formed entirely on weapons and enemies in Quake are kinda bad and the maps are sometimes cool and generally better designed but they're also very brown and grey and kind of slide off my brain like teflon. Doom combat just feels a ton better and there's some seriously bad maps in the base game but still, it just plays better.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Also legit love how the base game has this really nice ambient Reznor OST that gives the whole thing a sense of loneliness and dread, and then I boot up Scourge of Armagon and its the most goofy 90s game rear end poo poo lmao.

And I'm not even hating on the Scourge music, it's just a fascinating little case study of how big of a role music plays in your immersion. Totally different vibe.

e:

The Kins posted:

Nice, I'll check these out, ty

chibi luda fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 31, 2021

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Man quake online is loving great. I didn't realize how much I missed this. Are there private/dedicated servers or is everything p2p?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the Quake soubndtrack for the base game is totally broken on switch, can't hear poo poo once it goes into the game

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the Quake soubndtrack for the base game is totally broken on switch, can't hear poo poo once it goes into the game

that's normal. everything but the first minute or so of the main menu music is just clanks and low hums

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The volume is low on Switch across the board for both sound and music, but between them it's about right.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Does Quake 2 have a singleplayer mapset that's as "must play" as Arcane Dimensions?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Quake should be a better game than DOOM given that it was made by essentially the same team and it was their third go-around after DOOM and DOOM II. So I don't think saying Quake is better than DOOM has ever been a particularly controversial statement, even if it's a matter of preference and debate.

Personally I think Quake is technically more impressive, especially given its continued development with hardware-accelerated versions and netcode in QuakeWorld, but I think DOOM is more thematically cohesive and iconic.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

that's normal. everything but the first minute or so of the main menu music is just clanks and low hums

i must be getting it confused with Quake 2 in my mind then!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Weedle posted:

yeah, a lot of the soundtrack for quake is genuinely a bunch of creepy ambient stuff that adds atmosphere. it's not a bunch of rips of metal music with like 3 things tweaked. it's pretty well done stuff, which isn't really surprising given that it's made by trent reznor. the main issue for the longest time was that a lot of releases just outright didn't have the music included so you'd have nothing in the background.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Quake should be a better game than DOOM given that it was made by essentially the same team and it was their third go-around after DOOM and DOOM II. So I don't think saying Quake is better than DOOM has ever been a particularly controversial statement, even if it's a matter of preference and debate.

Personally I think Quake is technically more impressive, especially given its continued development with hardware-accelerated versions and netcode in QuakeWorld, but I think DOOM is more thematically cohesive and iconic.

I remember how excited I was when my parents bought that Voodoo2 3d accelerator for me. Quakeworld was the first thing I tried it on.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Weedle posted:

No, it isn't that. The music is genuinely quieter than it should be. It's something I picked up on while playing, too, and I've put a ton of hours in Quake with the Trent Reznor soundtrack seeping its ambience into everything - so I'm not fond of the assumption made repeatedly in this thread that anyone commenting on the music being too quiet must not be familiar with the soundtrack. The tracks have never been heavy metal or anything, no, but they're legit being played back at a lower volume than on other source ports, even with music volume maxed.

Honestly, though, Quake 64 has it worse - I realize I am completely unfamiliar with the Aubrey Hodges music, but I'm pretty sure the stage clear music was plenty audible on console, yet here it's barely so. The quiet drones of the actual stage music are therefore practically silence. I think I had to turn the sound volume down to 3 (keeping music at 10) and pump my computer speaker volume way up to get anything close to acceptable balance between music and sound.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

With that train of thought, Quake 2 is better than Quake 1 and even better than Doom 2!

Edit: and about Daikatana...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

No, it isn't that. The music is genuinely quieter than it should be.

yeah from what i've seen online it's definitely broken on switch

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

With that train of thought, Quake 2 is better than Quake 1 and even better than Doom 2!
"essentially the same team" was the key phrase there; Quake 2 lost, at the very least, John Romero and Sandy Petersen, so it could be argued the team was no longer essentially the same. (I had assumed American McGee hopped ship too, but, ah, nope, he has a Q2 credit.)

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Shadow Hog posted:

The tracks have never been heavy metal or anything, no, but they're legit being played back at a lower volume than on other source ports, even with music volume maxed.
Official Quake releases used CD audio for the soundtrack, and the volume of the soundtrack was always a function of your sound card mixer settings. So I'm not sure it's possible to say there is a canonical or intended music volume.

I finally tried importing the sound track into Quakespasm a few months ago and my initial reaction was that the music was way too loud.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

Edit: and about Daikatana...
Quake is definitely the example where the sum of its team was better than its parts, as later projects have indicated.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

All I can say for sure is that the Scourge of Armagon OST has a pretty low volume compared to the OG Quake one, at least in the remaster. Is it really like that in the CD version?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if we will see CTF or, god forbid, Team Fortress for the remake online? I know Team Fortress would probably need some kind of approval from Valve, but CTF should be doable?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Official Quake releases used CD audio for the soundtrack, and the volume of the soundtrack was always a function of your sound card mixer settings. So I'm not sure it's possible to say there is a canonical or intended music volume.

I finally tried importing the sound track into Quakespasm a few months ago and my initial reaction was that the music was way too loud.

Fond memories of 1997 when I finally managed to save up and buy the Replay budget re-release of Quake, and started it up on my Dad's computer at max volume looking forward to enjoying the soundtrack.

That may have been the loudest two seconds experienced in that particular part of earth since the dinosaurs were wiped out

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dramicus posted:

Does anyone know if we will see CTF or, god forbid, Team Fortress for the remake online? I know Team Fortress would probably need some kind of approval from Valve, but CTF should be doable?
There's some form of CTF in one of the expansions already, but it's not exposed to the menus (yet?) because Quake 1 Teamplay is kinda weird and based on your pants color, so there'd need to be some consideration to sorting teams in a sane, modern way.

As for Threewave CTF, Zoid (the original creator) was asking about this on Twitter and an Id guy replied by asking him to DM, so we'll see what happens. I guess it depends on whether or not they need to chase up permissions with anyone else?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Kins posted:

As for Threewave CTF, Zoid (the original creator) was asking about this on Twitter and an Id guy replied by asking him to DM, so we'll see what happens. I guess it depends on whether or not they need to chase up permissions with anyone else?

That's awesome. 3wave ctf was like 33% of my multiplayer time back in the day.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Convex posted:

Fond memories of 1997 when I finally managed to save up and buy the Replay budget re-release of Quake, and started it up on my Dad's computer at max volume looking forward to enjoying the soundtrack.

That may have been the loudest two seconds experienced in that particular part of earth since the dinosaurs were wiped out

I can already hear the gun cocking, the zombies groaning and the grenade blowing them up echoing for miles.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I swear Reznor put his studio recording gear in a shed and recorded himself firing a few shells of 00 buckshot.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Yes, I know it's redbook audio - and I always had the CD audio setting on Windows 9x cranked all the way up to the max, same as the other sliders, unless I had good reason not to (which rarely happened, but did happen). It was always louder than this.

At least with your opinion, you have the option of turning it down to match your preferred balance. I can't go above 100% volume to get the sound I used to have.

Negostrike posted:

All I can say for sure is that the Scourge of Armagon OST has a pretty low volume compared to the OG Quake one, at least in the remaster. Is it really like that in the CD version?
No, they're about even. I think the expansions are louder on average, even - Reznor liked to juxtapose the loud parts of the music with quiet parts, while Jeehun Hwang did that to a much lesser extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

"essentially the same team" was the key phrase there; Quake 2 lost, at the very least, John Romero and Sandy Petersen, so it could be argued the team was no longer essentially the same. (I had assumed American McGee hopped ship too, but, ah, nope, he has a Q2 credit.)

Yeah, I know they had people leaving (or being fired!) between the two... in any case, the main message here was, game development is not predictable enough to work like that, to make games A, B, C, D better than the previous one, as long the genre and team remains the same. Way too many variables.

I also think Quake has a weaker weapon arsenal and weaker enemies than Doom 2, making Doom 2 the winner. But let's do the full exercise, let's see why, exactly:

-No all game development is the same. It can go smoother, or it can be more troubled. Wasn't Quake development famous because it was intended to be more fantasy RPG-y, to include more involved melee, etc? And in the end they fell back into what they knew, straightforward shooter. That could be reason A here.
-In fact the troubled development didn't mean only that they wasted time doing x and y which in the end wasn't included, office politics were also a thing, and I'm sure their messy internal fights didn't help with the development.
-Doom 2 has a good monster repertoire, but if you think why, it's because the game is really an expansion of Doom 1, so they basically piggybacked into the development time (art assets) of the previous game. They couldn't do the same here, with Quake I being a new ip, in a new engine.
-We can in fact generalize that previous point, it wasn't only weapons, in general Doom 2 benefits because it was built on top of a previous game. There are a lots of examples where that is very beneficial for the new game, as developers can spend more time in the design that in the technological issues, in creating the internal toolset, prototyping designs they don't know if they will be good, etc. Think for example Fallout 3 vs Fallout New Vegas. It wasn't only that Obsidian being better than Bethesda at RPG games, it's still the best Obsidian game because it benefits a lot of having the engine, the editor, preset character animations, models, boiler plate code... it means Obsidian could focus most of their time in pure design: story, setting, quests, factions, etc.
-Quake 1 gameplay was limited because the nascent 3d engine technology, as I argued half a dozen pages ago, in a way that Doom 2 wasn't. Narrower locations, way less simultaneous enemies, etc.
-But... why simply don't give more time to Quake's development, and improve their weapons and include new enemies and make a better Episode 4? Surely they still had money? Well, id mantra of 'when it's done' wasn't a thing in their first years. It was more like the opposite: they were accustomed to release games under a year of development. Games weren't released 'when they are done' but 'where they are good enough'. In fact that's the case for most of the industry, lol. And Quake was 'good enough', indeed.
-Expanding upon this point. Quake 1 had... what, 18 months of development? It may sound like nothing comparing with dev times nowadays, but I think they were kind of nervous of spending so much time with a single game, when the previous Doom had a notably shorter dev time, so spending half a year more surely would have produced a better game, but didn't cross their minds. An important factor sure was how they knew one of their ace cards was having J.Carmack (and others) doing his magic, and at the time the graphics advancements were so fast, so delaying a game and losing their competitive advantage was a bad decision.