Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

cmdrk posted:

My man. I just did mine recently too (well, on TAKP) and it's a real treat. We did a Velketor kill a few months ago and I got a Vermilion Robe of Torrefaction. Now my wiz is like... ABC, man. Always Be Castin.

I so wish I had put my VP key on one of my alts. (and no i dont want to ever do that quest again) Id love to get one of those clicky robes for cheap, or a cheap offhand for my rogue. My guild is actually doing this big undertaking to power level up a ton of wizard alts, so dkp prices for things like gnarled staffs is skyrocketing. Already tripled from when I got mine. I cant imagine what that velk robe would go for right now, but we keep getting garbage like the sword and the frostbite bracer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
For folks playing on TAKP, I'd be glad to group up and fart around, currently just about to hit 30.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

cmdrk posted:

What are your names? I will unload random garbage on you, you adorable trash panda!

Yorg is my main Ogre SHM and I got an iksar Monk rolling around called Winrar

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Even on Blue I heard that the first warder kill dropped triple Shrouds of Longevity. There are only like 11 on blue, and I dont think any on active players.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why do they wake the Sleeper on these servers?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Why do they wake the Sleeper on these servers?

Gatekeeping to prevent other nerds from getting ST gear.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That's what I figured but I didn't wanna unfairly assume.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Assuming that P99 raiders do stuff because they're petty and spiteful is always fair.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Assuming that P99 raiders do stuff because they're petty and spiteful is always fair.

It just seems especially petty and spiteful lol

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
When Kunark first came out on blue forever ago, people would purposefully kill epic related mobs they were done with, so that *other guild mates* couldn't finish the quest before them, or even catch up, etc. (Not my guild, fyi).

I specifically remember one person telling me "Soandso doesn't deserve server first. I deserve server first."

P99 always has, and still does, just bring out the absolute worst people. And most of them are "adults" in their late 30s, early 40s, and up.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I dont know much about Green has there been any public statements from Seal Team (or whoever is the top dog) about not waking the Sleeper?

Always made the most sense to me to just have an agreement to always leave one warder up no matter what. I certainly wish they had on Blue just for the increased flow of Primal weapons (ill probably have to make do with a 2 hander forever like some peasant).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Not sure but one of their members got PLed in Unrest basement taking half of it from one of my first groups there. He logged in on the stairs right there and saw us too and due to the rules for outdoor zones (even in ones which are obviously a single camp like Unrest basement) couldn't really do much.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Man. I’ve seen none of this on TAKP but maybe I’m just not in the circles that it matters. Everything in there just seems like a bunch of old dudes playing with their old guy hobby.

Maybe the MGB culture just makes it a friendlier place.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Rexicon1 posted:

Man. I’ve seen none of this on TAKP but maybe I’m just not in the circles that it matters. Everything in there just seems like a bunch of old dudes playing with their old guy hobby.

Maybe the MGB culture just makes it a friendlier place.

It is the admin enforced rotations, lower pop, and more expansions.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
TKAP has a lower pop because of the terrible camera angles, right?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Arven posted:

TKAP has a lower pop because of the terrible camera angles, right?

It does not have the mouse wheel scroll cam. The client is more classic than p99.

But we have boxing (3 box limit) which really kills it for some people. IMO the raid scene is good and fun and have that classic EQ feel, but leveling to 50+ can be lonely

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Yeah you have to use a third-party utility to get back mouse scroll, but otherwise it's super chill and pretty much anything is open to do. Especially with a three box and maybe a buddy with the same.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

shirunei posted:

Yeah you have to use a third-party utility to get back mouse scroll, but otherwise it's super chill and pretty much anything is open to do. Especially with a three box and maybe a buddy with the same.

I agree that dungeon crawling with a 6 character / 2 person duo is really fun content. And you can/will crawl because many dungeons are otherwise untouched.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

milkman dad posted:

I agree that dungeon crawling with a 6 character / 2 person duo is really fun content. And you can/will crawl because many dungeons are otherwise untouched.

STATIC STATIC STATIC

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I get that most people would have a pretty lonely time with the boxing on TAKP but it’s been great with a small group of friends playing it together. I’m astounded how much fun I’m having in this stupid rear end old game.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Rexicon1 posted:

Yorg is my main Ogre SHM and I got an iksar Monk rolling around called Winrar

send Lorien a tell if you see me online. I just gathered up a bunch of crap that you can have.

I am Haughty in the p99gunes discord if you wanna send me a PM.

same for anyone else on TAKP. i have some mid-level loot that i can't be assed to sell if you can use it.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
https://www.techradar.com/news/was-everquest-was-the-greatest-mmo-ever-made-and-why-is-the-answer-yes

Decent nostalgia trip of an article.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
that was a good read.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I mostly wish I had known about the hybrid class xp penalty back in 1999, and how badly I needed another 32mb of ram - I thought that slow dialup was a big part of the reason it took me like 3-5 minutes to zone. I played for a few months, quit, then came back and started over around the time Kunark came out, with cable internet and then doubled my ram once I could afford it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was paladin on live and it wasn't noticeable due to me and everyone I was playing with being in high school so our playtime was fairly limited.

I do remember our load times being longer than most (over a minute and we were one of those people that had cable early) because we had a lovely video card. It also made it so the boats were sometimes all black.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I loved the arms race of getting better hardware so you could zone faster on Sullon Zek. It made a huge difference, live or die type stuff.

Nothing like running, zoning, and once the zone loads you’re already tashed, rooted, and getting beat on

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah it's funny that when computers were shittier there was a penalty for training - in my case it was several minutes before I'd get back in. Now it's all of 10 seconds to go back and forth.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It was annoying at the time but in the way the limitations of technology end up becoming the dominant aesthetic, training was a really memorable thing that happened. Nostalgic for 50 gnolls rushing up from the depths of Blackburrow.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was paladin on live and it wasn't noticeable due to me and everyone I was playing with being in high school so our playtime was fairly limited.

I do remember our load times being longer than most (over a minute and we were one of those people that had cable early) because we had a lovely video card. It also made it so the boats were sometimes all black.

I picked a Ranger and I had no idea xp penalties were a thing but in retrospect it was definitely noticeable. My brother played a Warrior and had a much easier time of it than I did.

My first character was a Paladin and some guy gave me a suit of Banded Armor and I then lost my corpse in the Minotaur Mines in Steamfont. Being a 12 year old playing an mmo for the first time ruled.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I think if I had picked say a rogue when I first played (10% exp bonus) rather than a SK (40% penalty), I might have been encouraged by the faster progress. But the memory was an insane bottleneck for me. Going into Neriak 3rd Gate and back to turn in a quest, sell, or buy spells was a half hour trip because of the loading times. Nektulos Forest, Lavastorm, Freeport ran well enough, but East Commonlands was a slideshow. I think I tried making a character in Kelethin once and it was just as bad. Once I doubled my ram, load times went from 3-5 minutes to under a minute, and I could actually see and avoid things like griffins and Sgt. Slate before they blapped me.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Don't want to derail the nostalgia trips, but if anyone has a Runed Sea Shell (the common EB one), I've been looking for one without any luck on Blue for awhile.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lakedaimon posted:

I think if I had picked say a rogue when I first played (10% exp bonus) rather than a SK (40% penalty), I might have been encouraged by the faster progress. But the memory was an insane bottleneck for me. Going into Neriak 3rd Gate and back to turn in a quest, sell, or buy spells was a half hour trip because of the loading times. Nektulos Forest, Lavastorm, Freeport ran well enough, but East Commonlands was a slideshow. I think I tried making a character in Kelethin once and it was just as bad. Once I doubled my ram, load times went from 3-5 minutes to under a minute, and I could actually see and avoid things like griffins and Sgt. Slate before they blapped me.

EQ was so damned good. Did you manage to fall off of Kelethin like a true first time EQ player?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Don't want to derail the nostalgia trips, but if anyone has a Runed Sea Shell (the common EB one), I've been looking for one without any luck on Blue for awhile.

I did a bunch of SG a long time ago, I'll have a look. They're the ones that drop there, right? I remember needing one on my chanter for... the shawl? Idk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ginette Reno posted:

EQ was so damned good. Did you manage to fall off of Kelethin like a true first time EQ player?

I once got drunk and fell off.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

The first machine I played EverQuest on was a Pentium 1 233 Mhz with 32 MBs of ram with a 2 GB hard drive. Logging in took 30 minutes and the intro tune would finish before I was in game (it didn't loop). Zoning took between 10 and 30 minutes.

I lived in South Karana for a long time.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I started EQ in college (which was 99, shocker), and the internet in our dorm rooms had an issue where you *always* got disconnected when zoning. The game wasn't blocked or anything, but every time.

Go to zone, see loading screen, wait long enough for it to disconnect, get back to the log in screen, log back in through it all, run to the next zone...

To be honest I can't believe I stuck with the game through that.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Meatgrinder posted:

I did a bunch of SG a long time ago, I'll have a look. They're the ones that drop there, right? I remember needing one on my chanter for... the shawl? Idk

Yeah there are two identical items with different click effects that drop in Siren's Grotto. I'm looking for the enduring Breath version

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Yeah there are two identical items with different click effects that drop in Siren's Grotto. I'm looking for the enduring Breath version

Sorry, thought I might have it on p99 but my inventory logs show I only have it on a char on p2002. The logs may be out of date though. I'll let you know should I find one on Blue.

Edit: ran an outputfile on my chars on Blue and no luck.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 3, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

The first machine I played EverQuest on was a Pentium 1 233 Mhz with 32 MBs of ram with a 2 GB hard drive. Logging in took 30 minutes and the intro tune would finish before I was in game (it didn't loop). Zoning took between 10 and 30 minutes.

I lived in South Karana for a long time.

Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

All I remember is it was so slow and laggy that I thought the elevators were automatic and you just had to wait for them. The zone was basically unplayable and my dream of playing a woodelf was crushed. I dont think I actually died, except on the inside. I died a ton in EC though, I remember dying from the poison of a darkweed snake, but claiming a moral victory because I ticked up enough mana to gate just before death and didnt have to recover my corpse.

Wow at taking 10-30 minutes to zone. Thats loving insane.