Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

The real question is what is that modding manual going to look like! I sure am excited to set up my own Star Citizen server and let all my friends play with my modded Star Wars x Battlestar showdown.

yeah that modding manual will be a game-changer, gamedev is still hard though. thats why dev studios around the globe will want to get their hands on that manual asap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I demand the modding manual be written in Banu for extra fidelity.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

nurmie posted:

loving hell, that's legit sad and now i feel bad for this dude :smith: i hope he gets to play something resembling the final version of Star Citizen, and i hope it makes him happy

or, better yet, i hope he finds some other video game or a form of entertainment or something that actually is capable of making him happy

yeah its sad also because i cannot really see how a videogame (no matter how brilliant) can be a major point on your bucketlist. but thats just me and i just completed cyberpunk and i had a blast, it really made me happy for many nights, a thing which i did not experience for a long time in a videogame.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DizzyValuableBeaver-mobile.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

Etsy cow show moma!

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Does anyone have the copper post handy? I really need to share the insanity with a friend.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Colostomy Bag posted:

LOL, that made me laugh more than it legitimately should have.

Come on Britton, make it happen - we need the Space Chinese to be able to rip off Crobbler's awful IP so they can re-sell it across the 'Verse.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Bumble He posted:

dont be silly its a black ferret

I thought this was a golden long haired walrus

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Homesteading and land claims are in!!

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Thoatse posted:

If it comes out there won't be a documentary like that cause it will achieve the status of a lovely/disappointing game vs a flat out scam

Also a Chinese ripoff will be released before the game finishes crashing and burning

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/The_ChromeNinja/status/1432386249986387968

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Games › Star Citizen: I did loose some health 😂

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Games › Star Citizen: I did loose some health 😂

Look guys, give up on trying to get name changed.

Ever since Derek Smart won the avatar change wars and there has been avatar peace, Something Awful has lacked the funds that it profited from such wonton avatar destruction.

This coupled with the fact that Chris Roberts successful Star Citizen has pushed up the average price of pixels, means we just can't afford luxuries like thread title changes anymore.

Or best chance is to nicely ask Chris if he has any cheap, second hand pixels we could have - then maybe if we could get an old garage door opener, we could MAYBE make a new title.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Games Chris Roberts is currently not delivering:

Star Citizen
Squadron 42
Sataball
Theatres of War

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Gravity_Storm posted:

Star Citizen
Squadron 42
Sataball
Theatres of War

+ Mess Hall Simulator

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

L. Ron Hoover posted:

+ Mess Hall Simulator

At least this one is being worked on!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

What is 'delivering' anyway? I think him having the idea for a game is good enough; it's certainly good enough for me

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Gravity_Storm posted:

Star Citizen
Squadron 42
Sataball
Theatres of War

Yah, but he self-absolved from all that like years ago.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Gravity_Storm posted:

Star Citizen
Squadron 42
Sataball
Theatres of War

Star Marine?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

biglads posted:

Star Marine?

Also add Sandi’s film career

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

I have done a lot of reading and talking to Microsoft tech support about this, as usual the answer is complex and as such a simple 'definitive answer' is what determines the best advice for the average user. If you are a power user who knows every single detail of the spec's of your system and the demands of your primary workload you should find what is optimal for you, unfortunately extrapolating that out to everyone else's set up and workload is not the most efficient way to go about things. A broad over-arching opinion based upon how you 'feel' it should be won't help much.

The Pagefile is a hangover from the days of low RAM volume and small HDD's (there are other legacies of Windows that really should be retired off by now! Or at least made optional at set up**). It's use has drastically changed according to much better compression software, larger RAM installations and faster drives on speedier PCI lanes. Based upon the old paradigm with low RAM and slow access drives, low internet bandwidth and minimal efficient compression then multiple pagefiles over several drives was efficient to spread the load across as many IO's (Input/Output devices) as could handle it and so it brought a performance boost in heavy workload scenarios on low bandwidth PCI lanes for the average heavy load user.

With fast RAM, fast PCI lanes and ever faster solid state drives the benefit of 'spreading out' across all IO's is negligible but you see Microsoft still lives in the past when most systems only have 1 or 2 drives attached anyway, and even worse if your 'spread of IO's' includes a slow access drive you are actually losing efficiency since that link in the chain is always slower yet Windows will use it according to ascending priority based upon the IO number (ie the system assigned drive letter unless you set your own) rather than any analysis of the read/write speed of access. Think about it, why does Windows always default to the pagefile on the C drive even if it is the oldest crappiest piece of hardware in the box?

If your OS drive is your fastest drive - and all other drives near match it then there is little point in changing the IO spread of the Pagefile, you won't see much benefit - however, peculiar to Star Citizen and for reasons not wholly understood by just about anyone as far as I know the 'system managed' pagefile' controlled by Windows just doesn't seem to react fast enough and so setting a manual min/max size seems to help in the majority of cases, this is trial and error, it is not researched empirical. If it doesn't help you at all you likely had no issues running Star Citizen anyway, or your issues are network related... so anyone advising against setting a fixed pagefile is most likely speaking from a position of 'system performance privilege' and extrapolating from their system out to others who DO have issues, it won't be particularly helpful.

I do installation troubleshooting for Star Citizen, I've been doing it for a while now - several years, it takes me about 20 minutes to type up a complete noobs guide and I have done it so often I can do it from memory. I have written up guides to get the smoothest most trouble free experience of SC and that advice has slowly evolved over time as new information arises. I often preface the advice I give with 'the explanation for why do it this way would take too long here's the step by step process' none of which will harm anyone's system at all given the caveats that I include.

Here are the general rules:
If you have a 'slow access drive' you should avoid using it as a pagefile drive at all however it is perfect for a Recycle Bin** - it will slow down everything not just SC. This is a part of why CIG don't recommend running Star Citizen on a HDD... it's the exact same reason, it's too slow given the large file sizes required to decompress and read. HDD's should be relegated to media storage only even if you are using an SSD as a smart cache, but only if that media is less than 4K video transport stream for example.

If you have multiple fast access drives try to use the fastest as the OS drive and make the pagefile active on that drive - even if it is not the OS drive, you can use other drives if they are comparable in performance too for multiple IO's but honestly if you have a decent read/write on that first drive you don't really see any benefit from an IO spread. Here you come up against the 'I've been doing it since the middle ages' and I know it works - yeah.. it used to the last anyone really looked at it, now - not so much, it's just old habits die hard.

The recommended min/max size you often see advised in this community is based purely on trial and error among those of us who have done such trials on multiple hardware set ups. A min 20GB and Max 32GB seems to work for most, but if you have a system bloated with background processes running even that might be barely adequate.

The majority of intractable problems seem to relate to bad ISP/network performance - again you come up against the vested interest- I pay for big internetty!!
Fast is irrelevant for Star Citizen, it will run on a relatively low bandwidth compared to Youtube 1080p video or above, what SC is not tolerant of is internet/network drop outs. ISP's will temporarily throttle some people at peak times to favour those who want to catch the newly uploaded Game of Star Wars Expanse episode on Netflix. Also by far he biggest culprit for spotty network connectivity is WiFi, it can be affected by just about anything including traffic in the street outside and your neighbours mobile phone/microwave oven use.

16GB of RAM is definitely not enough to run Star Citizen in a stable efficient manner - it doesn't matter which 'system expert' you ask and they give general advice "No game ever needs more than 16GB!!" - Star Citizen right now is a special case, no point in arguing about it - it just is. A heavily bloated version of Windows can take up to 8GB of RAM. Running 'active desktop' like wallpapers etc programs will kill SC performance, and even the ubiquitous 'run at start' software updaters can chew through resources and network bandwidth at an alarming rate -if you plan to playtest this Alpha (and give advice to others) you really should be fully conversant with how to manage background processes in Windows. I can count on one hand how many people I know, know how to setup Google Chrome so that it doesn't run in the background and it is a resource hog of epic proportions.

Less than 8GB of VRAM will also bring issues. A lack of VRAM is offloaded to RAM, which in turn will increase pressure to use the pagefile and so that 32GB of RAM is starting to look distinctly puny now. If your pagefile is Microsoft Windows system managed unfortunately Microsoft engineers had no idea SC existed when they decided the best way to manage those system resources.

I have had two systems in the last 2 years, both of which had NVMe drives as the OS drive and they have zero issues running the game, but prior to that I was using an older system for about a year where the OS was on a SATA SSD and the NVMe had the game files - I set the pagefile to the NVMe non-OS drive exclusively and it worked flawlessly for everything, indeed Windows 'cold to Start Menu click' speed went up from about 2 minutes to about 10 or 12 seconds... I run my system lean.

TL:DR - do the pagefile thing, it's the best advice in most cases and it definitely won't hurt your system in the average / majority of cases even if it doesn't help the game.

**To give an idea of just how out of date Microsoft are when it comes to system managed resources consider this, Windows defaults to 10% of any drive attached as space for the Recycle Bin - when drives were 20GB or even a 100GB this was reasonable, but if you have a Terabyte drive why on Earth do you need 100GB of Recycle Bin? Even worse you get a similar amount on each drive attached. By Windows default my system would have over 200GB allocated as Recycle Bin.

Barely anyone outside of an office environment uses the Windows 'Go to sleep mode' and yet it defaults to reserving the same amount of drive space on your OS drive as you have RAM installed - the file is called Hiberfil.sys and you can only delete it by using the command consoles - I ALWAYS turn it off and never have an issue. If your drive is short of space definitely Google - 'How to delete Hiberfil.sys' - it isn't difficult.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I don't post often here, mostly lurk, but my god that poster is seriously laying blame at microsofts feet for SC being an unoptimized pos?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Pagefile is not intended to be used like normal RAM where it's being accessed frequently such as a video game. It's not a free RAM expansion, if you're running a program that is exceeding the amount of RAM you physically have you need to buy more RAM. That Star Citizen supposedly requires a minimum of 32GB of RAM because they insist on 4k textures and everything being loaded into memory just to get it to barely run at sub 30 FPS is not a Windows problem.

Microsoft posted:

Page files enable the system to remove infrequently accessed modified pages from physical memory to let the system use physical memory more efficiently for more frequently accessed pages.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Zil posted:

I don't post often here, mostly lurk, but my god that poster is seriously laying blame at microsofts feet for SC being an unoptimized pos?

What does your heart tell you?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Lol, has anyone talked about this at all in the last 3-4 years?

IMO, baseball would be a way more appropriate sport for Star Citizen but I guess that's not UK enough. $9 beer, hot dogs, the generally plodding pace. T-posing pitchers, etc. It just jives so much better.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
But also this is probably a conspiracy by Bill Gates to get revenge on Chris for how he bungled Freelancer.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

I'm the guy who thinks that NTFS overhead is 'space for the Recycle Bin'.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I mean I guess the NVme drive being used for a pagefile is fast, but don't come crying when why the game keeps crashing or you are getting blue screens: https://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-reliability-in-the-real-world-googles-experience/

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

cmdrk posted:

Lol, has anyone talked about this at all in the last 3-4 years?

IMO, baseball would be a way more appropriate sport for Star Citizen but I guess that's not UK enough. $9 beer, hot dogs, the generally plodding pace. T-posing pitchers, etc. It just jives so much better.

Space Cricket would have been even better, for tax purposes.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Everyone thought that the copper pipes were the problem but it turned out to be the fault of the Windows the whole time!!

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I mean I would have figured these guys were running weird baroque versions of Linux.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

All this just to play the technical marvel that is Star Citizen.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Trilobite posted:

Space Cricket would have been even better, for tax purposes.

Yes but they spoke English in enders game so you can rip it off for tax purposes and have the hot thing right now in your game.

Note attempting to rip it off and failing still generates the desired tax benefits.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Look guys, give up on trying to get name changed.

Ever since Derek Smart won the avatar change wars and there has been avatar peace, Something Awful has lacked the funds that it profited from such wonton avatar destruction.

This coupled with the fact that Chris Roberts successful Star Citizen has pushed up the average price of pixels, means we just can't afford luxuries like thread title changes anymore.

Or best chance is to nicely ask Chris if he has any cheap, second hand pixels we could have - then maybe if we could get an old garage door opener, we could MAYBE make a new title.

Agreed. Some of us can't even afford avatars that aren't sunken wrecks on the bottom of the ocean slowly rusting away. It was a long war and some of us didn't make it. :sureboat:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Mirificus posted:

Associates degree IT guy

:lol::lol:

Yes, the most used platform for video games that has made video games mostly be able to run similarly across wide ranges of hardware and software configurations... is obviously lovely because how dare they not consider the future where Code Whisperer Chris Roberts emerges from the depths of his understanding of EMM386 to bring to light a new era of gaming where he ignores polygon counts in models and just expects them to work while building it on top of the best video game engine ever made: CryEngine, as a huge unoptimized mod!

Bringing with him legendary programming talent to do this such as , and , as well as !

With highly experienced talent straight out of Full Sail University, how dare Microsoft dare to fail Star Citizen.

This is why the game sucks. It is computers and operating systems not being good enough for the creative and programmatic talent of Chris Roberts, who once completed a whole class in physics maybe!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Popete posted:

Pagefile is not intended to be used like normal RAM where it's being accessed frequently such as a video game. It's not a free RAM expansion, if you're running a program that is exceeding the amount of RAM you physically have you need to buy more RAM. That Star Citizen supposedly requires a minimum of 32GB of RAM because they insist on 4k textures and everything being loaded into memory just to get it to barely run at sub 30 FPS is not a Windows problem.

I've given up trying to explain why people generally shouldn't disable the pagefile. It's not an overflow area for RAM (or at least not ONLY that) and if that's what it's doing you're right - you just need more RAM. But it does more than that. I lost count of the number of "I turned it off with no ill effects" brigade, and truth be told, most people won't show any ill effects. And making it a fixed size doesn't do much either - if you have enough RAM, it shouldn't be growing. Without that file, a memory leak that hits critical mass bluescreens your system. With that file, a memory leak slows your system down during the spillover and gives you a cushion to identify the issue.

I guess maybe back in the day it was used as a RAM overflow, and that concept stuck?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

DigitalPenny posted:

Yes but they spoke English in enders game so you can rip it off for tax purposes and have the hot thing right now in your game.

Note attempting to rip it off and failing still generates the desired tax benefits.

True.

"Attempting Something and Failing Still Generates Income" should be engraved over the doors at CIG.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Games > Star Citizen: peculiar to Star Citizen and for reasons not wholly understood by just about anyone

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!
I'm the microtransaction which is needed to keep the servers going after the big release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

init
Jun 20, 2021

Such an annoying process for installing a game on Windows. Why doesn't CIG just bundle an optimized OS with their game?

They can revolutionize the field of operating systems development, just like they have with game development.