Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
To be fair anything being "just Genesis GaoGaiGar" means its good as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Rhyno posted:

KFC Simba is a pretty good use of body parts for MP Star Saber.

KFC Simba is literally just OG Victory Saber though.

EthanSteele posted:

To be fair anything being "just Genesis GaoGaiGar" means its good as hell

Oh don't misunderstand me. Flametoys Victory Saber being a Genesic GaoGaiGar/Brave homage is awesome to me personally. I'm merely stating that the homage is hardly subtle.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 28, 2021

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought Victory Saber wasn't as good of a combination as like, God Ginrai for example. Still getting it though.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
https://twitter.com/vapourware/status/1431779511243247622

So close to rolling well, but the nonnef wheels are slightly too thick.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Hasbro's uploaded all of G1 Season 1 to their Youtube channel in 1080p: https://www.youtube.com/c/hasbropulse/videos

Fire up your youtube-dl. Hopefully the other seasons will follow.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
There has to be an error, its not banned in the UK

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Got my Shattered Glass Blurr. Gorgeous colors on that guy, he's a bit floppy but I can fix that.

There's a small chip paint missing on his nose, though. Anyone have any recommendations on getting a matte silver nail polish or something close to that color?

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Got my Shattered Glass Blurr. Gorgeous colors on that guy, he's a bit floppy but I can fix that.

There's a small chip paint missing on his nose, though. Anyone have any recommendations on getting a matte silver nail polish or something close to that color?

I've used silver Sharpies in the past, that usually works pretty well.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Knormal posted:

Hasbro's uploaded all of G1 Season 1 to their Youtube channel in 1080p: https://www.youtube.com/c/hasbropulse/videos

It's the weird rear end color error version that Rhino used, thankfully it doesn't have the random added sound effects they claimed "were always there but 80s TVs couldn't play them"

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Knormal posted:

We got GI Joe, Ghostbusters, He-Man and now Transformers on youtube for all to watch.

The 80's kid in me is so very happy.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Zeether posted:

It's the weird rear end color error version that Rhino used, thankfully it doesn't have the random added sound effects they claimed "were always there but 80s TVs couldn't play them"

The theme song doesn't have them at least. The video and Audio are possibly from different sources.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Having reached season two in watching Beast Wars for the first time, I... don't like the transmetal forms at all. I feel like there's maybe a bit of just "I don't like different thing" after getting Kingdom toys of the original designs and having spent a season's worth of episodes with them but these new ones are a horrible mix of gaudy and just plain naff

Like, I love the RID01/Car Robots Predacons but a) I fell for those guys before I started paying attention to actual Beast era stuff and b) they're transmetal 2 holdovers for whatever that counts for and c) that's just what those guys look like to begin with

Like, I'm gonna keep watching the show, because I know that the writing is meant to keep getting better and I already was enjoying that, but gently caress me is this hoverboard Primal and new Megatron ugly as poo poo

e: I will say, Dinobot riding around on Rattrap like an illfitting tricycle is a joy. that's one exception

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 30, 2021

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I will give you that hoverboard primal is stupid, but we don't make fun of TM Megatron in this house.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I mean, a VTOL tyrannosaurus is pretty awesome, but I fail to see the difference

Unless that's the joke

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
transmetal megatron is basically this type of rule of cool but in robot form

not only can he fly, but he has rollerblades in his feet too!!!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
With Beast Wars I always forget that Cheetor also gets another form. I remember Optimal Optimus and Dragon Megatron but NEVER Cheetor.

Spoiling just so I'm not rude to a first time watcher~

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Captain Invictus posted:

transmetal megatron is basically this type of rule of cool but in robot form

Scary, but not as scary as Tyrannosaurus Reich.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't know how transmetals were on the show, but I thought they were way cooler toys.

On top of the added functionality that vehicle modes add that increases play value, it also looks more believable when the robot humanoid turns into some kind of robot animal than it is when you're trying to hide all the robot bits behind plastic molded bits of flesh or fur and trying to hide all the seams.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

I like how Megatron would sometimes skate around on them while thinking.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't know how transmetals were on the show, but I thought they were way cooler toys.

On top of the added functionality that vehicle modes add that increases play value, it also looks more believable when the robot humanoid turns into some kind of robot animal than it is when you're trying to hide all the robot bits behind plastic molded bits of flesh or fur and trying to hide all the seams.

Also vac metal looked rad as hell. Shame about it's durability, I'm on my second transmetal Rattrap.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Knormal posted:

I wonder if I can get my son to watch with me...

Box of Bunnies posted:

Having reached season two in watching Beast Wars for the first time, I... don't like the transmetal forms at all. I feel like there's maybe a bit of just "I don't like different thing" after getting Kingdom toys of the original designs and having spent a season's worth of episodes with them but these new ones are a horrible mix of gaudy and just plain naff

Like, I love the RID01/Car Robots Predacons but a) I fell for those guys before I started paying attention to actual Beast era stuff and b) they're transmetal 2 holdovers for whatever that counts for and c) that's just what those guys look like to begin with

Like, I'm gonna keep watching the show, because I know that the writing is meant to keep getting better and I already was enjoying that, but gently caress me is this hoverboard Primal and new Megatron ugly as poo poo

e: I will say, Dinobot riding around on Rattrap like an illfitting tricycle is a joy. that's one exception
The only one I absolutely hated was Cheetor. He has this giant bulky chest with some ugly kibble on the back and those horrid misshapen hands. In fact I seem to remember there's an episode where he temporarily doesn't have the cat head covering them and it just freaks me out.

Rattrap looks pretty cool. Tarantulas looks pretty cool. I never really liked Primal's color scheme. I do enjoy the hoverboard. VTOL rollerblading Trex rocks.

Man, I remember thinking the bleakness of those first few eps after the transmetalization is such a downer after the generally light hearted tone. Writing was really good on that show.

Just spoilered something about future episodes
Earth wars recently started adding Transmetal cores to the game. We were robbed, Rhinox has a fantastic transmetal color scheme.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Good Listener posted:

With Beast Wars I always forget that Cheetor also gets another form. I remember Optimal Optimus and Dragon Megatron but NEVER Cheetor.

Spoiling just so I'm not rude to a first time watcher~

All of the TM2 forms are just complete rear end. Dragon Megatron just doesn't suit the character at all, Optimal Optimus is a mess, Cheetor is now a saber tooth cat for some reason, just awful all round

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Optimal Optimus rules wtf

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

All of the TM2 forms are just complete rear end. Dragon Megatron just doesn't suit the character at all, Optimal Optimus is a mess, Cheetor is now a saber tooth cat for some reason, just awful all round

Counterpoint. You're wrong on all points.
Dragon Megatron rules. It makes no sense whatsoever, but it looks cool.
Optimal Optimus is a glorious ill fitting mess, befitting of his origins.
And before that he was a shiny maybe cheetah with a metal head and wings and before that he was an actual cheetah. :shrug:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

TM2 dinobot was pretty cool

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
WHY ARE WE SPOILERING poo poo FROM 1996

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Rhyno posted:

WHY ARE WE SPOILERING poo poo FROM 1996

cause:

Box of Bunnies posted:

Having reached season two in watching Beast Wars for the first time,

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
HE HAS CLEARLY MADE POOR LIFE CHOICES

but yeah I missed that

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

HE HAS CLEARLY MADE POOR LIFE CHOICES

I've never watched Beast Wars and I have no intention of doing it.

I even own the DVDs.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I even own the DVDs.

Depressing.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Medullah posted:

I even own the DVDs.

What is it like to hate joy?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think my problem with the change to the transmetal designs are the colors aren't nearly as appealing to me. Way too much biege and brown. The orginal cast's colors contrasted so nicely.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tighclops posted:

Depressing.

The Last Call posted:

What is it like to hate joy?

Fine, I'll watch them. Though now that I'm looking at eBay for sealed copies of the complete series, I might have to sell them.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Can't get with the Dragon Megs take. It's an awesome design even if it is a little odd for him as a character. I do agree that Optimal Optimus is a terrible, terrible design. It's the one BW figure I don't bother displaying. There's just nothing pleasing about it in any way. Every mode is terrible, transformations are barely anything, color scheme is repulsive. Even Garry Chalk's voice sounds weird coming out of it in the show.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Medullah posted:

Fine, I'll watch them. Though now that I'm looking at eBay for sealed copies of the complete series, I might have to sell them.

Jesus you caved early, have some backbone sir!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

And he's like awkwardly huge to the point that he could prob just rip apart every non Megatron predacon with his hands if he wanted. I wish TM2 megatron lasted longer than 3 episodes though. we barely even get to see it in action.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Comfortador posted:

Jesus you caved early, have some backbone sir!

You're a towel

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Y'know, I hadn't thought about it much before, but Beast Wars really gets stuck in with that trend of action figures in the 90s getting ridiculously buff and ripped. Back in G1, transformers always had a bit of that going in their silhouette since they were naturally rectangular, but G2 got extra chonky, and then Beast Wars comes along and dedicates itself to elaborately sculpted pecs and abs (maybe making use of more advanced molding techniques?).

And then Beast Machines tried drifting from that towards more diverse and stylized figures, which did not work out. And then the franchise collapsed for a while and was mostly Japan-driven for the next few years.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Come on and

and welcome to the jammer

There's really nothing too interesting about that figure, I just wanted to make that reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Monkey to humanoid robot transformers* are always pretty boring IMO, monkeys are too close to a human shape for the transformation to be interesting.

*as in robots that transform, not necessarily part of the Transformers franchise.