Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That’s what RC transport routes are supposed to be for. Except they stop their routes when the resource is depleted instead of waiting :ughh:

( Choggi has a fix of course: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1549495949&searchtext=Transport )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I quite enjoy playing Surviving Mars and it looks great, but whenever I read any discussion about colony planning I get reminded that many of the various techs, buildings, and sponsor abilities are basically superfluous and I lose interest for a while. Whether it's Fungal Farms, RC Dozers, or Plasma Rockets, there's a lot of stuff in this game that seems cool but really isn't useful. I hope that the game gets some rebalancing in the future.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

A lot of that stuff only comes in handy situationally or when you start cranking up the difficulty, like the Plasma Rockets make a hell of a difference if you're using the Long Ride rule where rockets take 3 Sols to get to/from Earth.

I do agree that the fungal farms are mostly useless - unless you need food right now, but then it's also pretty easy to slap down a few trade pads and start begging for food.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kaal posted:

I hope that the game gets some rebalancing in the future.

I wouldn’t hold my breath, the game has been out a long time now and I’d be very surprised to see a balance patch at this point

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Wafflecopper posted:

I wouldn’t hold my breath, the game has been out a long time now and I’d be very surprised to see a balance patch at this point

Yeah I'm sure you're right on that account. There's been chatter about further development of it, but even then Paradox games rarely spend much dev time on balance patches.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That's because Paradox are busy introducing new bugs and breaking mods

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Strabo4 posted:

A lot of that stuff only comes in handy situationally or when you start cranking up the difficulty, like the Plasma Rockets make a hell of a difference if you're using the Long Ride rule where rockets take 3 Sols to get to/from Earth.

I do agree that the fungal farms are mostly useless - unless you need food right now, but then it's also pretty easy to slap down a few trade pads and start begging for food.
I always prefer package deals over individual techs. If low g fungi also provided a soil quality improvement option for farms and terraforming that might be enough ribbon abilities that it would be worth researching, and once it's researched you're more likely to build one.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 18, 2021

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

GotLag posted:

That's because Paradox are busy introducing new bugs and breaking mods

Or making mobile games as directed by a CEO who used to work for a bloody betting company.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Paradox has been making successful games in a niche all their own despite their business end's breathtakingly garbage ideas for a long time, it was only a matter of time before the garbage started to encroach further really.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

They just restarted with a a new developer so it could be a while. Hopefully they'll be a bit more careful because the tourism patch broke a lot of stuff.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

There were a couple events at PDX Con for Surviving Mars, two of them were just discord things but there was one twitch stream which is fairly interesting:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1031438250

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just picked this up as a freebie.
How should I start this?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Game is very chill as long as you don’t over-reach. It is also absolutely unforgiving if you manage to gently caress up O2, water, or power management.

If you can locate one, try to put your first colony dome in range if a Rare Metals deposit: cash allows you to patch over upcoming rough spots if you spot them before they become a crisis. Or, if you don’t spot them in time, it lets you keep the survivors’ lights on and the air in the dome.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Other that suggesting you just look up someone starting a run on youtube or similar, hmm...

I'd suggest not taking the beginner Sponsor because they bend the rules so far you don't learn anything about how the game works. Also https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Surviving_Mars

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Seek out a landing zone near water and concrete. Set up basic power and fuel infrastructure based on either solar or wind depending on altitude. Build sensor stations to scan the immediate surroundings, and collect surface minerals. Once you have a good sense of your surroundings, create a rare metal mining / science outpost, relying on imported food. Once it is filled with colonists, build a metal mining / science outpost. The hub of your colony will be between these two sites. Create a manufacturing dome near your central starport, and otherwise chain together standard domes as needed. Supplement your infrastructure with Stirling Generators and Moisture Vaporators. Once you have farms, build agricultural domes near a source of water and connect them to your central colony (via a tunnel if needed). As the population grows, set aside domes for education and retirement.

Dome Guide:

Basic Dome: Agriculture / Science
Barrel Dome: Manufacturing
Trigon Dome: Education / Retirement
Microdome: Geology

Beginner’s Guide:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/the-complete-surviving-mars-guide.1178125/

Advanced Guide:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1734068161

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Thank you this is all really helpful stuff! :)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lawman 0 posted:

Thank you this is all really helpful stuff! :)

Some more advice is to prioritize settling your first dome cluster near a source of Rare Metals over more mundane metals (though grabbing both is quite juicy). Reducing or going fully independent on Metals and Machines is very appealing, but having a supply of Rare Metals is more important because it gives you raw cash. You don't know how Mars will gently caress with you and just having money in the bank to order the supplies or pre-made advanced buildings is a huge boon. Basically: don't rush to self sufficiency, rush on becoming a profitable colony: the end result is way more flexible and you can slowly work your way into self sufficiency.

Besides there's anywhere from 400-600 spare metals just sitting on the surface anyways so you have some lead time before you need that stuff, especially if you have a transport rover picking it up.

Obviously this advice becomes less important if your sponsor has an alternate source of funding (Blue Moon, Paradox, EU), or if you're playing Russia who can send a driller rover to mine distant resource deposits at 50% efficiency. This strategy is more important with Japan and India because Metals are less of a big deal for them: Japan gets an automated metal mine and India turns spare rock into metal.

Brazil might be even easier than the IMM in the long run because they can literally flatten the map and turn the rubble into rare metals/money. I literally have no idea why their faction is listed as "hard".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked this game up for free from Humble Bundle, is there a good beginner's guide anywhere? I'm familiar with the Anno series as a frame of reference.

In terms of what I'd like to do, I like the idea of terraforming Mars if that's something the deluxe edition lets me do.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cythereal posted:

I picked this game up for free from Humble Bundle, is there a good beginner's guide anywhere? I'm familiar with the Anno series as a frame of reference.

In terms of what I'd like to do, I like the idea of terraforming Mars if that's something the deluxe edition lets me do.
The Green Mars expansion lets you do that. Fanatical have 77% off (so $15 bucks) off first colony edition at the moment, which includes it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Splicer posted:

The Green Mars expansion lets you do that. Fanatical have 77% off (so $15 bucks) off first colony edition at the moment, which includes it.

Ah, so the deluxe edition giveaway didn't include that.

That's a shame. I'm one of those people who kind of needs a clear objective to be working for in games, and without that Surviving Mars doesn't appeal much to me.

Oh well.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cythereal posted:

Ah, so the deluxe edition giveaway didn't include that.

That's a shame. I'm one of those people who kind of needs a clear objective to be working for in games, and without that Surviving Mars doesn't appeal much to me.

Oh well.
The base game has Mysteries that show up after a while and start messing with you. Solving the Mystery (or collapsing under the weight) are kind of the base objective. You can have them be random or pick a specific one at game start. For example one is a plague starting on earth and you have to assist towards the cure.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Alternatively, the challenges are what gave the game most of its replayability because it gave me those objectives.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh there's also the sponsor goals

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/news/article/mars-below-beyond-announcement/

https://youtu.be/VMddf7AaYno

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

But does it have space trains???

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Theres something wrong with the first link, try this: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...er-7th.1489226/

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
I am amazed at how many expansions this game has gotten they just keep coming out of nowhere

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hobbesmaster posted:

Theres something wrong with the first link, try this: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...er-7th.1489226/
Thre was a metric fuckton of metadata on mine I obviously snipped something important

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I still enjoy this game, but I will admit. I want space trains.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

quote:

Branching Paths
The Recon and Expansion research trees unlock additional buildings, vehicles, upgrades, and locales. They will also unlock asteroid mining and tunnel colonization.

Two entire tech trees is pretty substantial given all of terraforming was just one.

Hope we get some alien ruins below the surface.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Well, it's kind of impractical for shuttles to be flying underground, so we actually have a valid use case for a train now! Fingers crossed. I'm so glad this game has been revived after the disappointment of Surviving the Aftermath. I really hope there is some interaction between this new content and the green planet stuff.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
One step closer to sandworms. I just hope we can keep them away from the mohole.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Gadzuko posted:

Well, it's kind of impractical for shuttles to be flying underground, so we actually have a valid use case for a train now! Fingers crossed. I'm so glad this game has been revived after the disappointment of Surviving the Aftermath. I really hope there is some interaction between this new content and the green planet stuff.

I have bad news for you about how Paradox DLCs normally function.

That being said, this looks brilliant - especially if it reworks the early game so sub surface colonies are your first move, as that is far more plausible than jumping straight to domes.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/SurvivingMars/comments/pf5tvl/new_screenshots_for_surviving_mars_below_and/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Actually, given that it's building domes underground, I have changed my mind and this is terrible.

The moonbases are pretty sick though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aethernet posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SurvivingMars/comments/pf5tvl/new_screenshots_for_surviving_mars_below_and/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Actually, given that it's building domes underground, I have changed my mind and this is terrible.

The moonbases are pretty sick though.

I thought the domes were on asteroids for a moment but underground makes more sense. Still, new maps to expand on it is cool. It might provide more of an "end game"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Expansion better have trains.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Aethernet posted:

I have bad news for you about how Paradox DLCs normally function.

That being said, this looks brilliant - especially if it reworks the early game so sub surface colonies are your first move, as that is far more plausible than jumping straight to domes.

Yeah I know interconnected DLCs are not really a Paradox thing, but I can dream...

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought the domes were on asteroids for a moment but underground makes more sense. Still, new maps to expand on it is cool. It might provide more of an "end game"

First screenshot definitely looks like underground because there's what appears to be a cave in happening onto the dome in the foreground.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I was kind of hoping for capped lava tubes yeah, but new map types still good and I'm cautiously excited about the asteroids

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How do you connect your domes in a way that doesn’t look bad?

I usually play a game up until I start needing new domes and then connecting them with those poo poo tubes feels kinda wonky and I stop playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How do you connect your domes in a way that doesn’t look bad?

I usually play a game up until I start needing new domes and then connecting them with those poo poo tubes feels kinda wonky and I stop playing.

Option 1 is you don't. The game was designed without connected domes in mind. Option 2 is this nifty mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1829482452
Bonus mod you probably would like too: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1809321641&searchtext=choggi+passages

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 1, 2021