Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

My daughter had her pre-K orientation today and I can't stop crying

It's awesome and so sweet but also when the gently caress did this happen

Earlier today going by your post.

:kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Brawnfire posted:

My younger daughter had Kindergarten orientation today, and she'll be with the same amazing teacher that her older sister had for four straight years. I'm so excited for her.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brawnfire posted:

I’m walking my daughter to her first day of high school next Thursday, and I’m right there with you. Where did my baby go?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
After somewhat lovely last months with random (both prompted and umprompted) bouts of nocturnal and diurnal anxiety, muscular pain from a recurring shoulder contracture and general 24h fatigue, today I decided to go to the nearest gym and sign up for apprentice karate lessons. Will be starting on two weeks.

May not work, but at least I'll try to improve both my physical and mental form.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I was laid off today, after a decade with my company.

This would suck except 1) they had been dramatically underpaying me for years, 2) the corporate culture was getting more unhinged and a lot of the current strategizing reeks of sheer desperation, 3) I've been there so long I'll get a decent severance while I figure out where to go next, and 4) I was told - in secret - that I was going to be laid off weeks ago and the stress of it was eating me alive.

Once the dust settled I realized I was feeling better than I had in years.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There was a confirmed COVID case in my son's classroom, and he'd been complaining the day before we found out about a sore throat and cough, so we rushed to get him tested. Results are in, and negative!

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
For the past 3 years I've been busting my rear end every night in a factory that makes full car exhaust assemblies. I've had to work in grueling conditions with no heat or air conditioning, and since the pandemic hit no fans either. In the summer its so hot and so humid that you just stew in your sweat all night, which makes all the little flecks of metal debris stick to you even more. I would leave work filthy and exhausted, mentally drained from all the stress. My elbows/neck/knees have felt like they're getting worn down from all the repetitive movements I have to make, I'm constantly sore and cramped and barely have the energy to exercise/lift. We've slowly been losing our experienced operators/employees of all types because of the semiconductor shutdowns and people not being able to work, and people just burnt out on the work in general. This had put a greater workload on everyone else, forcing us to work 7 nights a week with no end in sight, and longer shifts/being froze and having to work 4 more hours whenever they feel like making you. Everyone is miserable, tempers flare up on a regular basis, fights almost break out. For most of the last year I've been stuck in a never ending cycle of training temps who have been lied to by their temp agency regarding the schedule/work in general. Most of them I can tell right away aren't cut out for this level of physical labor, if they are in shape they quickly realize how lovely the job is and leave. Most temps aren't even making it to the end of their first week. Nobody wants to work on my line, not even the people that have been with my company for years and make the same pay as me..

I've been considering leaving for quite some time, but the pay and overtime combined with a very short commute have kept me where I'm at.. Until today! I signed an offer of employment to work literally a few businesses down the street at a great company where 2 of my very close friends are supervisors. I will only make about 25 cents more an hour, but the benefits and insurance are way better, the building is air conditioned and heated, I won't be getting anywhere near as dirty, and I should have at least one day off a week and possibly 2 when things slow down a bit. There are plenty of ways to advance in the company and do other things. I'm so loving happy, feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Can't wait to start in 2 weeks! :hellyeah:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I finished repairing an 85 year old camera and shot some film in it. It's been a long project and 100% worth it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Megabound posted:

I finished repairing an 85 year old camera and shot some film in it. It's been a long project and 100% worth it.

Whoa this rules

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Megabound posted:

Neat!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That looks really impressive, both the camera and the photograph.

Did you develop it too? I can't imagine it's easy getting 40s-era film, let alone developing it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

That looks really impressive, both the camera and the photograph.

Did you develop it too? I can't imagine it's easy getting 40s-era film, let alone developing it.

Yep, I do all the development myself too. Funny thing about 40s era film is that it's still made today, and is one of the big 3 formats. 120 film was introduced in 1901 and became known as medium format after 35mm was introduced. You can get cameras made today that shoot it still.

I also made some posts about repairing it if anyone wants to see the insides of a shutter.

Megabound has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Sep 10, 2021

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pandemic has been hard and my family's going through some poo poo. I'm also in a lovely legal battle with my absolute piece of poo poo neighbour. I've also been doing my boss's job for like 6 months because of his medical issues (on top of mine and 2 other peoples' I've been doing for 18 months) and I'm not qualified for it and it's been taking a massive toll on me.

My partner and I picked up homebrewing at the start of the pandemic and it's been a huge help in getting me by (both the distraction and the alcohol). I was finally able to arrange a week off last week and spent a chunk of it making this thing:

I've been planning and saving up for a keezer for a long time and was finally able to afford and justify the cost of all the remaining parts I needed. I grew up working wood and building and finishing the collar and putting the whole thing together was the break I needed from all the shittiness in my life right now.

It has 4 kegs with 3 beer taps and 1 vodka tap (I also have a, uh, friend that distills) plus room for bottles and snacks. I'm proud of my work and very excited to never have to bottle again. Thanks for listening!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That is a v sexy keezer and I'm sure the beer in it is just as good

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That looks fabulous. Congratulations!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Thanks for the love! If you're ever in Toronto and in need of a pint, hit up my PMs! Stay safe out there!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What style do you brew? I've gone further for a beer

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I am in Toronto and love beer! Careful what you wish for!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

^^^- If you got that double vaxx, you're welcome! We can play foosball!

Brawnfire posted:

What style do you brew? I've gone further for a beer

I've been making a lot of belgian blondes and saisons lately, but my best so far is a NEIPA inspired sour ale. The sour took 6 (20L) batches to get right and I spent my summer drinking my weight in bad sour beer. It was %100 worth it for how the final recipe turned out. I've got a batch of the sour that I fruited with 1kg of raspberries that I'll be testing the taps out with this weekend! Looks like this right now:

It's super fruity and floral with a ton of sour upfront and very little aftertaste. Excellent patio beer despite coming in at 6-6.3%ABV. I'm hoping the raspberries enhance the fruity flavours and aromas a little bit, but they're mostly there for the colour and to gently caress around.

Thanks for asking!

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 02:26 on Sep 14, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm an IPA fan, so a NEPA sour sounds loving awesome

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I love sours! I'll be sure to keep you in mind if I ever make it back up to Toronto. :cheersbird:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

That's textbook perfect fermentation and if I hadn't quit drinking I would absolutely drop by for a pint if I found myself in Toronto.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's something to be said for turning your goddamn phone off and getting away from it all, but there's also something to be said for being able to shitpost in the dead of night from the middle of the woods

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
I got a pretty decent raise, and my boss told me how much they appreciate my work ethic. It feels nice!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

This is a very minor awesome, but I'm at the end of two days off at my new job (I work four days this week, three the next, and then repeat). And....I'm not dreading going into work tomorrow. It's a tedious, do the same thing over and over and over again for twelve hours job, but I'm not absolutely dreading returning like I was at my previous job. I'm just generally tired because I had to turbo speed shift my sleep schedule from graveyard to day shift, but it's....really really weird to not be hoping I die before my next shift.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
last year I backed the maximum number of Haslab X-Men Sentinels I could while I was investing in things. $350 for a over-two-foot-tall dream figure of one of the most iconic enemies in Marvel's history, I knew it would be a hit. Turns out I was right, as the moment it's shown up in people's hands it's selling for 800-1000 dollars a pop. I only wish I had been able to get in on the Unicron and Jabba's Sail Barge when those were available, as those go for absolutely ludicrous amounts now. But I was able to get in on a bunch of Galactus figures. 32 goddamn inches tall, jesus christ.

SetSliRol posted:

I got a pretty decent raise, and my boss told me how much they appreciate my work ethic. It feels nice!
same, I finally hit the end of my four year progression and my pay jumped from 22.90 to 34.10 an hour. feels real good to suddenly get an extra like 350 bucks a week for the same work I was doing before, but it's tempered by the fact that the progression used to be 2 years and they changed it to 4 right before I went full time there. at this point, after 4 years of that poo poo at my part-time wage, I just don't even care anymore. but the pay is still nice.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

AngryRobotsInc posted:

This is a very minor awesome...

Really really weird to not be hoping I die before my next shift.

You wanna read those two sentences over again and tell me how that only counts as VERY MINOR AWESOME?
Not having a daily longing for death when contemplating going to work is a loving massive improvement in the quality of your life.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just a small update, but after getting a bum regulator and waiting for a new one, I finally pulled my first ever pint today! I shed a tear when I tasted it and have never enjoyed a beverage this much in my life.

Set cool goals and make cool things. Then die, I guess. Thanks for listening!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That's gorgeous

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cocaine Bear posted:

. Then die, I guess.

Don’t mind if I do

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
I'm not a big beer guy but that pint looks sexy as hell, good job man :)

I was checking my pick 5 lotto tickets tonight & I won $450 :aaa: first time in a while I've won a big prize, decided to play $10 for shits. Nice end to the week!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
"Cat's covered in blood"

One rushed trip to the vet later, and our 20 years old, deaf, half-blind, completely stubborn girlcat who was pretty clearly bleeding from mouth and nose and had covered her front legs and the floor in blood is determined to...

... have managed to scratch the lower part of her tongue, cutting some minor blood vase and making a complete mess. Wound was closed when the vet inspected it and she's been sent home with an antiinflamatory and a 50€ bill.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am very glad your decrepit old bugger is ok. Lost one of mine earlier this year before he could have his 15th birthday, but our other one who is also coming up on 15 is still trucking along pretty well.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Phy posted:

I am very glad your decrepit old bugger is ok. Lost one of mine earlier this year before he could have his 15th birthday, but our other one who is also coming up on 15 is still trucking along pretty well.

So am I. Sorry for your loss. Hope your remaining kitty stays with you for many years, 15 is an oldie but still has time for a good life ahead!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Being a doofus rascal rear end in a top hat until the very end is pretty peak cat. Glad the old guy is still kicking!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I just got offered my first full time position since i lost my job a year and a half ago and (before i got that notice) my apartment complex was willing to give me time and work with me on my late rent.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am so used to having my regular-rear end job paycheck just barely cover expenses, bills, mortgage, etc, that I was a bit dreading seeing my paycheck from last week when I was incredibly sick for 3 of the 5 days. I used two sick days which generally don't equate to a normal workday's usual pay since they're the bare minimum 8 hours, so went to pay bills and...have hundreds left over after everything because I keep forgetting I make actual real full time pay now instead of the "part time pay, full time hours" I was getting for the last four years. it's a good feeling, not having to worry so much.

I still hate my job, but the pay isn't total poo poo anymore.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

For the past couple of weeks, my husband and I have been noodling around, researching what's essentially my/our dream car, building our ideal model, looking for it all over. (It's a Volvo wagon--not too common these days.) My husband is having a hard time acknowledging that our 2001 Forester is on its way out, even after he allowed that a crucial part of the transmission was starting to act up again and we were not going to pay for repairs. He was slightly better than lukewarm about getting a new car.

Today the Volvo dealer we'd been working with says they have a wagon arriving in December that has everything we want, nothing we don't, and a couple of very nice extras. It's even the right color combo. My husband said it felt like a sign, I agreed, and we put our deposit down! :neckbeard:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Two little mice no bigger than a thumb print were spotted in my living room (by me) a couple of days ago. I got some non-lethal traps, and while placing them my biggest fear was that these two friends would be separated. Maybe only one would take the bait or something, and I caught one I would still have to release it somewhere or something. I don't know. BUT I got home from work tonight and they were both safe in the same trap. There is no wilderness or undeveloped land within like ten miles of my apartment, so I did what I thought was the sensible thing and placed them outside The Slidebar in Fullerton, CA, which, in addition to being known for the slimy weirdos that hang out there and being owned by some dude from Lit, is also responsible for the death of a homeless man. Maybe the mice will scare some customers away or make mice babies and just infest the whole loving place. Most importantly though I hope that they learned to avoid the traps I put out so they can live long happy mice lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I put in my notice at a job I have disliked and which has been a drain on my mental health for ages.

:yotj: