Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Aaron Rodgers or bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Aaron Rodgers or bust

:hmmyes:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Richards probably could have gotten away naming himself the host (or at least set himself up as a "temporary" host while they search for a new one) if they hadn't done this stupid competition/tryout farce. The fans wouldn't have liked it, but I doubt anybody would've really dug deep if there hadn't been so many eyes on the selection process.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1432753481077559305?s=19

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I know he's a polarizing figure, but sometimes I'm really fond of James.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I completely missed his run so all I’ve seen of him is the Tournaments and him shitposting on Twitter.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
James is an excellent shitposter, he'd probably fit in well around here.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Brad's score is still on there :smuggo:

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

christmas boots posted:

Brad's score is still on there :smuggo:

Love him or hate him, that was one of the greatest :drat: moments ever on the show

Also get hosed Mike lmao

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Serious question, why wouldn't someone love James Holzhauer??

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

They think it's unsportsmanlike to answer every question and win every game and be proud of doing that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mlnhd posted:

They think it's unsportsmanlike to answer every question and win every game and be proud of doing that.

No, Holzhauer is a bit of an arrogant cock and I can understand why people would be put off by his demeanor.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

No, Holzhauer is a bit of an arrogant cock and I can understand why people would be put off by his demeanor.

He can't comprehend that the vast majority of people do not have the ability to opt out of a "9 to 5" and could never take a year off to practice for Jeopardy.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

That’s the pride part, I guess. I didn’t follow his exploits after the goat tournament, except for what few tweets other people link to me. In the normal games he seemed pretty restrained. And everyone is an rear end in a top hat on Twitter.

I loved his matches just for how well he mixed the special sauce of Forrest bouncing, DD hunting, huge wagers, and breadth of knowledge. It’s exciting for me to watch someone who is one of the best at what they do demonstrate their skills.

A pretty poor comparison might be Tom Brady and the New England patriots, if you ignore all the cheating stuff.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Aaron Rodgers or bust

Let's see what up with him:

https://www.nfl.com/games/packers-at-saints-2021-reg-1

Uhh... Does this get changed?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
He took off an entire year to prepare for the game and can't seem to fathom that this is not normal or even remotely possible for 99.9% of humanity.

It might be something you could overlook if he didn't come off as an arrogant prick on top of that and doubling down on his lack of awareness with his whole "I just can't do a 9 to 5".

I love watching some librarian from the midwest kick rear end and change their entire life by winning 50 grand. I don't like watching a privileged smug gently caress crush the dreams of that librarian.

e: of course like 3 other people got in there while I was typing that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

He can't comprehend that the vast majority of people do not have the ability to opt out of a "9 to 5" and could never take a year off to practice for Jeopardy.

Yeah, that's the thing for me. He has absolutely no concept of privilege or place in life. According to one of my childhood best friends, who competed against him on the high school math team at Naper North, he had a swagger to him even at that age.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Matt on the other hand has that "what is" for everything that drives me nuts, but otherwise I don't actively dislike him because he at least has more humanity to him.

I do passively root against him because well he is the reining champ, and there have been some real nail biting on my part during his run.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I know multiple people who have met him IRL and not a single one of them has a nice thing to say about him.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also this is not my picture but holy lol

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Iron Crowned posted:

Matt on the other hand has that "what is" for everything that drives me nuts, but otherwise I don't actively dislike him because he at least has more humanity to him.

I do passively root against him because well he is the reining champ, and there have been some real nail biting on my part during his run.

:same:

He isn't as outwardly smug as James was, that phrasing just irks me. I think once you get the 5 wins to make the TOC in I start rooting against you just because now I want to see the underdogs win.

HookShot posted:

I know multiple people who have met him IRL and not a single one of them has a nice thing to say about him.

Which "him" were you talking about? James I expect to hear this about, Matt I wouldn't be surprised but would be disappointed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Which "him" were you talking about? James I expect to hear this about, Matt I wouldn't be surprised but would be disappointed.

Sorry, James. I haven't heard of anybody that knows Matt IRL commenting on him, I don't think.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also, James totally stole that last tweet format off a woman who did it better last week and I WILL FIND IT.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

"Asking myself a question and answering it" is a writing gimmick that's not particularly new.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's possible that he stole that tweet, but yeah it's a format I've seen quite a bit on the internet.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Remember after James' 2nd or 3rd episode aired and someone set up a website that was basically a running list of his "victims" during his reign?

That definitely was a turn-off for people right away, especially because everyone figured he set it up himself.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I finally caught up to Matt's games and personally I was thrilled that somebody finally beat the guy who would start answering before the host could finish saying his name, the greatest of Jeopardy! contestant crimes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh sure but I mean he did it literally like a week after someone else did one on the exact same topic that made it around this particular circle of the internet quite a bit.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

Remember after James' 2nd or 3rd episode aired and someone set up a website that was basically a running list of his "victims" during his reign?

That definitely was a turn-off for people right away, especially because everyone figured he set it up himself.

It was actually up before his first game even aired!

It referred to the people he beat as "The Vanquished"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Rodgers should record a day of shows every time the Packers come to California :colbert:

Edit: Or Vegas lol I really haven't watched football in a while

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

Yep. He did a horrible job of disguising the WHOIS info, too.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I guess James just doesn't bother me the way he does some people. He seems kinda like a harmless awkward, not good with people, smug instead of a Arthur chu insufferable "I enjoy people hating me" type of smug.

The 9-5 quote isn't really all that bad. He acknowledged his family is fortunate to have money for him to do that and gently caress if I did I'd peace out of my 9-5 too. I don't think he meant it as a "why aren't poors just better with money and quit?" type thing.

OTOH I never met him irl or anyone that has so it's just how his statements come off to me personally.

HookShot posted:

Yeah that poo poo was cringey as gently caress and real dumb

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think he also deliberately leaned into being a Heel, which understandably not everyone wants on their trivia show.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

[jerimiah_johnson_nodding_approval.gif]

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sad to see so many people still salty about King James success :agesilaus:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

christmas boots posted:

I think he also deliberately leaned into being a Heel, which understandably not everyone wants on their trivia show.

This was my take on it, too.

He's probably my favorite of the Jeopardy champions, but I am also the exact kind of person who roots for the heel.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
It’s like, what’s the point of jeopardy? Is it for regular people to flex their slightly-better-than-average trivia knowledge? Or is it for people who know nearly everything the show can ask to perform superhuman feats? It tries to be both and the first group gets matched up against the (much rarer) second group and everyone feels bad. Like yeah james said/did some rear end in a top hat things during his run (including, I’ve heard, allegedly “psyching out” contestants backstage whatever that means). It’s hosed up that you have to study full-time for a year or more to get that good (and he was building on decades of knowledge at that point) but he was just explaining how he did it. He obviously missed the empathy mark by a mile in the interview where he talked about not being able to work a 9-5 but it’s hard for me to get too riled up about it since he doesn’t really seem like a Bad Guy. (full disclosure i have met him irl a few times pre-jeopardy without getting any vibes except “awkward”).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

James enjoyed being a jerk. Matt is so focused on what he's doing that he doesn't come across as hero or villain.